Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


F...TVs

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #31
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You can buy a 42" HDTV for $600 to $800? I know they have really dropped in price and thought you could get a 36" for around that price but not one that big.

This one is $599 if you add it to your cart. Mind you it is only a 720p but is high def, plasma and 42 inches. Plus it is the awesome Panasonic brand that many toot here.

Panasonic 42 in. (Diagonal) Class 720p 600 Hz Plasma HD Television
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #32
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This one is $599 if you add it to your cart. Mind you it is only a 720p but is high def, plasma and 42 inches. Plus it is the awesome Panasonic brand that many toot here.

Panasonic 42 in. (Diagonal) Class 720p 600 Hz Plasma HD Television
It's a 720p, not worth having.

Gotta be 1080p and 120Hz as a minimum.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,185
Re: F...TVs

720p is fine for a smaller set, like in your bedroom, but for your main set and at the 42" size, you definitely should go for the 1080p for just a little more.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #34
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

I have had this argument a million times but everything you watch on TV from football to soaps is flimed in 720p not 1080p, very few movies/shows/programs/etc are actually flimed in 1080p so why buy a 1080p TV that you are watching a 720p picture on?

Plus I am willing to bet if you put equal quality TV's next to each other but their only difernce was 720 vs 1080 the average Amercian couldn't not tell you the differnce.

480 to 720 = quantuim leap in viewing quality

720 to 1080 = a hop scotch in viewing quality

Now with that said you could get that same TV 1080p for 799, the dealt in price between the two is shrinking greatly. So for 200 bones more what the hell go live in the fantsay 1080 world you will love it!

HDTVexpert — Front Line: 1080P — Time for a Reality Check!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!

Last edited by mredskins; 09-29-2009 at 09:22 AM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #35
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,185
Re: F...TVs

Hey it's totally up to the individual but I can see the difference between a 720p and a 1080p set. With a smaller screen you probably won't but 42" and up you will notice small differences.

Plus, if you have or want a blu-ray player you will definitely want the 1080p set.

Again it's really not a big deal. Whatever works for you.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #36
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Hey it's totally up to the individual but I can see the difference between a 720p and a 1080p set. With a smaller screen you probably won't but 42" and up you will notice small differences.

Plus, if you have or want a blu-ray player you will definitely want the 1080p set.

Again it's really not a big deal. Whatever works for you.
I agree it is what is best for you. If firstdown has been watching CRT's his whole life and he buys a 720p HD TV he is going to be blown away at a great price.

To be honest they don't make many 720 TV's anymore.

Can someone explain the HZ to me why would you want 120hz vs. 600hz?

thank you!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #37
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,185
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I agree it is what is best for you. If firstdown has been watching CRT's his whole life and he buys a 720p HD TV he is going to be blown away at a great price.

To be honest they don't make many 720 TV's anymore.

Can someone explain the HZ to me why would you want 120hz vs. 600hz?

thank you!
Hz is the refresh rate

What Is The Difference Between 120Hz (LCD TVs) and 600Hz (Plasma TVs)?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #38
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

^ Just more a whole lot to do about nothing.

I bought a new dishwasher over the summer. the options on dishwashers are very obvious but on these TV's to the non-TV guru some if it just seems like fluff, the upgrades to me at least don't seem very tangiable. Lots of smoke and mirriors that no one really understands what is best.

I currently own a LCD, Plasma, and DLP to me they all have the same picture quality. I honestly can not tell the differnce between them.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #39
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 36
Posts: 4,491
Re: F...TVs

Recent article from cNet on 720p vs. 1080p: 720p vs. 1080p HDTVs: 2009 update | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

Just about all programming is filmed in 720p or 1080i as opposed to 1080p. Here's a decent list of who broadcasts in what: HDTV Listings - HDTV World - CNET.com

I have a 37 inch 720p Sharp Aquos in my bedroom, and it works great. However, when I do replace my TV in the basement, I will go 1080p and get a blu-ray player.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #40
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 36
Posts: 4,491
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
^ Just more a whole lot to do about nothing.

I currently own a LCD, Plasma, and DLP to me they all have the same picture quality. I honestly can not tell the differnce between them.
Refresh rate is huge with sports and action movies. Slower refresh rate tend to blur fast moving images on LCDs.

Not being able to tell the difference most likely has to do with what you have coming into your home for viewing, as opposed to what set you are watching it on. While I don't have much experience with Dish or DirecTV, Comcast pushes all their HD content to you via 1080i, so if all your TVs can run 1080i, then you most likely won't notice much difference. The difference will come once you run Blu-Ray between a 1080p TV and a 720p TV.

If you don't plan on going Blu-Ray in the next 5-7 years, then 720p would probably be sufficient. If you play on moving up to Blu-Ray, your best bet would be to spend the extra dough for 1080p.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

Thanks BD for the advice, at this point I will probably wait until Xmas time to replace the TV, it really is not that brothersome and I figure there will be some good deals to have then.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,185
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Refresh rate is huge with sports and action movies. Slower refresh rate tend to blur fast moving images on LCDs.

Not being able to tell the difference most likely has to do with what you have coming into your home for viewing, as opposed to what set you are watching it on. While I don't have much experience with Dish or DirecTV, Comcast pushes all their HD content to you via 1080i, so if all your TVs can run 1080i, then you most likely won't notice much difference. The difference will come once you run Blu-Ray between a 1080p TV and a 720p TV.

If you don't plan on going Blu-Ray in the next 5-7 years, then 720p would probably be sufficient. If you play on moving up to Blu-Ray, your best bet would be to spend the extra dough for 1080p.
I just got a blu-ray last month and the difference really is amazing. It has me hooked on watching movies again. At first the difference is subtle I have to admit, but the more I watch the more differences I notice.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Thanks BD for the advice, at this point I will probably wait until Xmas time to replace the TV, it really is not that brothersome and I figure there will be some good deals to have then.
Black Friday, man!
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #44
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I paid $800 for my 42" Samsung HD. Still working perfect after years and it was a floor model.

The reason I will not buy a plasma is right here...they're basically disposable TVs. My rear projection has a good enough picture, but has replaceable parts.
This statement is utter nonsense and should be ignored. If you leave your Plasma TV on 24/7 its half-life (time before the brightness of the TV is half what it use to be) is ~11 years. If you intend to watch your TV 6 hours a day you're looking at a half-life of ~30 years. I very much doubt you will be able to find replacement parts for your TV after 10 to 15 years let alone 30 years.

Note that this calculation is based on older Plasma models that were rated 30,000 hours.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #45
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,942
Re: F...TVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
This statement is utter nonsense and should be ignored. If you leave your Plasma TV on 24/7 its half-life (time before the brightness of the TV is half what it use to be) is ~11 years. If you intend to watch your TV 6 hours a day you're looking at a half-life of ~30 years. I very much doubt you will be able to find replacement parts for your TV after 10 to 15 years let alone 30 years.

Note that this calculation is based on older Plasma models that were rated 30,000 hours.

I was going to say something to this when he posted it but figured I don't give a crap. My plasma for the record is completely repairable for $300 bucks it needs a new control board. So to say plasma TV's are throw aways, is a false statement.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29146 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25