Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


How to stop smoking?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
How to stop smoking?

Yeah, since I'll not have the Redskins to piss me off this weekend, I think this will be a good time to quit.

I've quit twice before: Once in boot camp, and the second time when I lived in Cali.

What's the best way to quit when everyone's blowing smoke in your face? I'm not hip to the patch, but I'm not closed to it either.

What Sayeth the Mob?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: How to stop smoking?

I quit 11 years ago. No magic formula, I just quit cold turkey, suffered through the first 2 weeks and was a real ass to be around, but I got through it. If you really want it you can do it. It's all about will power.

C'mon Trample make a play!
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: How to stop smoking?

I quit smoking by avoiding the bars for a few weeks. Then as fate would have it, I started chewing tobacco as my crowd of friends were into that. I quit both now by just saying no.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I quit 11 years ago. No magic formula, I just quit cold turkey, suffered through the first 2 weeks and was a real ass to be around, but I got through it. If you really want it you can do it. It's all about will power.

C'mon Trample make a play!
Just so you know it takes 10 years for you body to fully heal from your last cigarette. You should at the same risk level for heart disease as a person who never smoked in their life!

I still have 8 years to go.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew54 View Post
I quit smoking by avoiding the bars for a few weeks. Then as fate would have it, I started chewing tobacco as my crowd of friends were into that. I quit both now by just saying no.
I quit chewing tobacco too.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: How to stop smoking?

I quit cold turkey by looking at these pics.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Yeah, since I'll not have the Redskins to piss me off this weekend, I think this will be a good time to quit.

I've quit twice before: Once in boot camp, and the second time when I lived in Cali.

What's the best way to quit when everyone's blowing smoke in your face? I'm not hip to the patch, but I'm not closed to it either.

What Sayeth the Mob?
I smoked a pack a day for about 2 years when I was 20-21 years old. One morning I got up to have my morning cig, and it made me sick. Literally. I stopped right then and didn't touch another cigarette for a long time. Nowadays if I'm out drinking I'll have an occasional smoke, but I never smoke at home. Plus it helps that my finacee says her biggest turnoff is guys who smoke. I'd say I probably have 4 or 5 cigs a month. I'm not too worried about that health-wise, but I told her when we get married in June I'll totally drop it.

Why is everyone blowing smoke in your face? Do you work in a bar or something?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I smoked a pack a day for about 2 years when I was 20-21 years old. One morning I got up to have my morning cig, and it made me sick. Literally. I stopped right then and didn't touch another cigarette for a long time. Nowadays if I'm out drinking I'll have an occasional smoke, but I never smoke at home. Plus it helps that my finacee says her biggest turnoff is guys who smoke. I'd say I probably have 4 or 5 cigs a month. I'm not too worried about that health-wise, but I told her when we get married in June I'll totally drop it.

Why is everyone blowing smoke in your face? Do you work in a bar or something?
My people smoke.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
My people smoke.
Do any of your people have any desire to quit? Maybe a team effort would help as far as supporting each other.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,467
Re: How to stop smoking?

I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: How to stop smoking?

I got sick with the flu when I was about 20, and couldn't even stand to be around cigarettes. When I recovered, I decided not to continue. That only lasted for 5 years, and I am smoking again. So, for me, getting sick really helped me quit.

Drew is right ... I was filling out an application for personal health insurance and of course it asked if I was a smoker. At the time I wasn't, but it said if you have smoked within the past 10 years, then you are classified as an "Ex-Smoker". So, the choices were: Smoker, Ex-Smoker and Non-Smoker.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Do any of your people have any desire to quit? Maybe a team effort would help as far as supporting each other.
I'll probably have to move away from them.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.
Chantix works. I stopped for about a 1 1/2 months using Chantix and when I went on a guys week golfing started back (yea I'm a dumb ass). I have some now and I'm going to quit after the football season. I really don't smoke much durn the week unless I'm drinking and my biggest hurddle is on the weekends when I enjoy a few adult drinks. Last time I quit I also quit drinking for a few weeks to help with the urge. I'm not one of those people who plan their life around smoking and most of the restaurants we go to are smoke free which does not bother me. I actually perfer going to a smoke free restaurant when going out for a nice dinner.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: How to stop smoking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I know of a few people who used Chantix and have not picked a cigarette up since.
I know some people that used Chantix and have not picked themselves up since.

Black Box Chantix and Zyban Suicide Warnings - Chantix Suicide Attorneys | Legal News & Updates Blog - Saiontz & Kirk
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #15
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: How to stop smoking?

Stop putting lit cigarettes in your mouth.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38544 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25