Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,855
I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Hey guys, my brother and i came up with this idea last night for a game similar to the Pro-Bowl, except that the fans could pick from a list of players that are recently retired. The game would be friendly in format like the Pro Bowl, so little risk of injury.

If some of the NFL legends that aren't too old would agree to it, we could see guys like Dan Marino or John Elway lobbing passes to former great WR's, like Jerry Rice or Keenan McCardell, etc...

it could be played yearly indoors during the off-season....what do you think??
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 49
Posts: 15,818
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

It depends are you a Republican or Democrate? I know its a weard question but it would help in my answer.

There was a reason why I asked this question. If your a rep. it would be a much better idea if you went to vote sense you live in Va. If your a dem. just stay in front of your PC and keep working on this idea.

Last edited by firstdown; 11-03-2009 at 12:17 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 35
Posts: 5,829
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Didn't they already do this with a video game "Football 2K8". I do not think that many retirees would be interested unless some money was on the table. To be honest, who would really be interested in watching it? You would have to market it with some other NFL event just to garner interest.

Me personally, I want to keep my legends as legends. It is depressing to watch a guy whos skills have diminished as he parades around as if he still has it. We still have their highlight reels, that is how I want to remember them.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,216
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Unintentional comedy: Keenan McCardell is a former NFL great.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,855
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

I was throwing McCarddell out there because he was a guy who was recently retired.

I saw Dan Marino in a flag football game a few years back. He was like 40 or 41 then and he had all kinds of arm left.

The game could be fun for fans who never had the chance to see these guys play live...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

I'm not sure I would want to see NFL greats, who are shells of their former selves, limping around the field. And would they want to risk playing at this point? A serious injury and someone could be up shit creek.

It's probably best to keep a legends game to the video game world.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,431
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I was throwing McCarddell out there because he was a guy who was recently retired.

I saw Dan Marino in a flag football game a few years back. He was like 40 or 41 then and he had all kinds of arm left.

The game could be fun for fans who never had the chance to see these guys play live...
I have no doubt Marino or Elway can still sling it. But can they drop back and avoid a pass rush?

Sticking with flag football is probably the way to go at this point. A game in full pads might look pretty bad.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Don't they have events like this already during Pro Bowl weekend, like charity flag football games featuring ex players (sometimes other celebrities too)?

It'd have to be very light. Whenever I see ex-players walking around here I'm amazed by how often they move like their 20-30 years older than they actually are. These guys take a beating during their playing days
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,855
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

I dont know if they do. I think maybe people are misunderstanding me on my idea. I brought up classic names to try and sell the concept..not literally those people.

Like say Jeff Garcia retires at the end of this year (39 years old). He could be chosen from the recently retired list to play in the game. Obviously it wouldnt be literally bringing out guys who had their primes in the 80's. Like you wouldnt see Joe Namath trying to drop back and pass...i'm sorry if i didn't make it more clear.

And a guy who had to retire from injury wouldnt play, obviously. But like imagine in Madden when a player retires...he's usually in his late 30's or maybe even 40, but the idea of him playing one more charity game wouldnt be absurd if he was otherwise still healthy...
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,362
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Don't they have events like this already during Pro Bowl weekend, like charity flag football games featuring ex players (sometimes other celebrities too)?

It'd have to be very light. Whenever I see ex-players walking around here I'm amazed by how often they move like their 20-30 years older than they actually are. These guys take a beating during their playing days
It is sad to see how bad some of the legands struggle to walk down a flight of stairs and other normal tasks . However , I would like to see the guys have more flag games / charity on tv . I bet D.Green can still fly , put him at WR and have Marino throw some bombs to #28 !!!
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: I have an idea for a game similar to the Pro Bowl, but with retired players

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I dont know if they do. I think maybe people are misunderstanding me on my idea. I brought up classic names to try and sell the concept..not literally those people.

Like say Jeff Garcia retires at the end of this year (39 years old). He could be chosen from the recently retired list to play in the game. Obviously it wouldnt be literally bringing out guys who had their primes in the 80's. Like you wouldnt see Joe Namath trying to drop back and pass...i'm sorry if i didn't make it more clear.

And a guy who had to retire from injury wouldnt play, obviously. But like imagine in Madden when a player retires...he's usually in his late 30's or maybe even 40, but the idea of him playing one more charity game wouldnt be absurd if he was otherwise still healthy...
Even some players who are recently retired limp around and bend their fingers and arms in ways that just aren't normal.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23708 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25