Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Do you live within your means?

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #46
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,492
Re: Do you live within your means?

I haven't made great choices, and between divorce, 3 kids, and another bad relationship that bottomline I allowed use almost 25K of what was my good credit, I am right now trying to work myself back to the right side of the ledger. I am almost there, but saving hasn't been a part of it yet. hopefully y'all like me enough when it's time to get Social Security, right?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #47
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,288
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I meant spent like food, housing, etc... and I agree you don't have to over spend. I was targeting more folks who won't even go to the park on a sunny day because they have to spend money on gas, that is the cheap I am talking about.

Honestly my son is two for Xmas I could just wait and until everyone puts out there boxes and then go drag them in, he would be in f--king heaven and it would cost me $0.
I got ya now. I honestly can't say I know anyone that frugal. That sounds like living in a prison.

I do have a problem though with people who live beyond their means even when they don't need to. People who get laid off and are forced to dip into savings and go into debt, that's sad and I feel for them. But this guy who works for me (so he makes less than me) lives in a 3000 square foot house (pretty sizeable for Philly suburbs) while mine's about 2100, and drives a BMW while I drive a Toyota. Then he has the gumption to whine about how his electric service is about to be shut off because he's been missing too many payments.

I don't feel envious of the lifestyle he lives, I just want to shake the stupid out of him. Is the bigger house and the nicer car really worth the stress of feeling that strapped for cash? I'd much rather scale down and not have to worry about money than be house-rich and cash-poor.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #48
Registered User
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 518
Re: Do you live within your means?

nah i dont.... saving for a retirement, is not for me, there is not guarentee, I will collect it........
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #49
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,288
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
nah i dont.... saving for a retirement, is not for me, there is not guarentee, I will collect it........
Did you know that if you put away $1000 now in an account that earns about 5% per year, it would be worth $4300 30 years from now?

If the account earns 8% per year, it would be worth $10,000 30 years from now.

Save a little now, pay yourself a lot more later. I think if more people understood the basic concept of compounding interest, a lot more people would save a little bit of money. This stuff should be a mandatory part of the curriculum in high schools.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #50
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,288
Re: Do you live within your means?

Better yet, if you put $1000 in an account each year for 30 years straight, at the end of that 30 years you'll have $122,000 if the account earns 8%.

That's $30,000 in over 30 years, $122,000 out at the end.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #51
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,636
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I got ya now. I honestly can't say I know anyone that frugal. That sounds like living in a prison.

I do have a problem though with people who live beyond their means even when they don't need to. People who get laid off and are forced to dip into savings and go into debt, that's sad and I feel for them. But this guy who works for me (so he makes less than me) lives in a 3000 square foot house (pretty sizeable for Philly suburbs) while mine's about 2100, and drives a BMW while I drive a Toyota. Then he has the gumption to whine about how his electric service is about to be shut off because he's been missing too many payments.

I don't feel envious of the lifestyle he lives, I just want to shake the stupid out of him. Is the bigger house and the nicer car really worth the stress of feeling that strapped for cash? I'd much rather scale down and not have to worry about money than be house-rich and cash-poor.

I hate those folks as well.

This guy I use to work with got laid off. I see him on Xbox the other night and ask if he has a new job yet (been about 6 mths since lay off), he says no and in 30 days his family 6 will be belly up. Yet, he is playing COD MW 2 and I look at his game libary and he has like every new game! I felt guilty buying COD since Xmas is around the corner, this f--king guy has no job and a family to feed and he is out blowing money on games! Crazy.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #52
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Do you live within your means?

If I buy one of these would I be going past my means.
YouTube - WaterCar - Amphibious Car Python Edition at Lake Havasu and Newport Beach CA "American Deamin"
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 31
Posts: 2,726
Re: Do you live within your means?

I think im one of those over-savers. I go broke all week because im trying to pay for my wedding. I wouldnt really consider my situation living above my means because i penny pinch, im just the type of person that if i have money on me ill spend it. So if i put it in savings i cant spend it on impulse purchases.
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #54
Camp Scrub
 
doxiechic12000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 64
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but did you not get your mortgage free home when your mother in law passed? That puts you way ahead of the game.
Are you serious? This dude got his parents house after they passed away and he is seriously bragging about how much he saves? No wonder, I wish I got a nice free handout like that, shame on him for being a braggart! Cant stand people all high and mighty bragging when they have a huge bone like this tossed to them. I have a mortgage, have had one for 15 years now and am still paying on my damn student loan! I do not have any credit card debt and my car is nothing flashy but its paid for - yet I still have times when its a paycheck to paycheck month. I am able to contribute only 5% into my 401K but my hospital doest not match a dime. Im not whining or complaining, I do love to travel and love going to Vegas. Life is too short to plan on living when you are old and retired. I work in the healthcare industry and I see what the golden years look like. Its golden pee stained! Live your life along the way, enjoy the ride but at the time try to be somewhat responsible.
doxiechic12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #55
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,636
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiechic12000 View Post
Are you serious? This dude got his parents house after they passed away and he is seriously bragging about how much he saves? No wonder, I wish I got a nice free handout like that, shame on him for being a braggart! Cant stand people all high and mighty bragging when they have a huge bone like this tossed to them. I have a mortgage, have had one for 15 years now and am still paying on my damn student loan! I do not have any credit card debt and my car is nothing flashy but its paid for - yet I still have times when its a paycheck to paycheck month. I am able to contribute only 5% into my 401K but my hospital doest not match a dime. Im not whining or complaining, I do love to travel and love going to Vegas. Life is too short to plan on living when you are old and retired. I work in the healthcare industry and I see what the golden years look like. Its golden pee stained! Live your life along the way, enjoy the ride but at the time try to be somewhat responsible.
This is a colossal fail on my part. I should have not posted what I did. Matty has never acted like that, I beleive even his wife wrote in this thread how it was a blessing from a tradgey.

I really hope that you would not want a family member to die in order to be debit free.

__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #56
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiechic12000 View Post
Are you serious? This dude got his parents house after they passed away and he is seriously bragging about how much he saves? No wonder, I wish I got a nice free handout like that, shame on him for being a braggart! Cant stand people all high and mighty bragging when they have a huge bone like this tossed to them. I have a mortgage, have had one for 15 years now and am still paying on my damn student loan! I do not have any credit card debt and my car is nothing flashy but its paid for - yet I still have times when its a paycheck to paycheck month. I am able to contribute only 5% into my 401K but my hospital doest not match a dime. Im not whining or complaining, I do love to travel and love going to Vegas. Life is too short to plan on living when you are old and retired. I work in the healthcare industry and I see what the golden years look like. Its golden pee stained! Live your life along the way, enjoy the ride but at the time try to be somewhat responsible.
Your a first rate ass hole. The guy was not bragging, people where talking about their spending/saving. He even said he would perfer to have his mother-in-law back over having the house. Not all guys would say that. I'm guessing your job at the hosital is dumping bed pans and that explains alot of your anger issues.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #57
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,627
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This is a colossal fail on my part. I should have not posted what I did. Matty has never acted like that, I beleive even his wife wrote in this thread how it was a blessing from a tradgey.

I really hope that you would not want a family member to die in order to be debit free.
The colossal fail was on doxiechic's part. Completely classless.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #58
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,174
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This is a colossal fail on my part. I should have not posted what I did. Matty has never acted like that, I beleive even his wife wrote in this thread how it was a blessing from a tradgey.

I really hope that you would not want a family member to die in order to be debit free.
doxiechic12000=jackass

jackass=read a few posts in the thread before commenting next time
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,174
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
hopefully y'all like me enough when it's time to get Social Security, right?
i'll start a metro bus/mobile ad for a collection fund, should be able to get you around $1500
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,492
Re: Do you live within your means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i'll start a metro bus/mobile ad for a collection fund, should be able to get you around $1500
well played sir
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32712 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25