Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #61
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Thats what i'm after...a happy balance. I have no problem worshipping publicly like that. I played the drums in the praise band at the last 3 churches i attended (Calvary Chapel from 2006-2007, Metro Morningstar, now called Every Nation for a spat in late 2007, and most recently played at Fellowship Bible Church in 2008)

It just seems like around here there is no in between...i like the idea of a black southern church...i went to one of those earlier this year and i can tell you no place i've ever been has treated us so nice...
Is it really religion that you're seeking?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 AM   #62
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Chruch is a great place to meet women. Especially Catholic women wearing their Sunday best Lol, I'm so going to hell.
This is true; you'll find more unselfish loving girls with ummm.. somewhat loose morals while in a relationship in church than almost anywhere else.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #63
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,504
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I was raised in the Catholic Church. So were my parents and grandparents. I went to Catholic school from K-12th grade and received the sacraments.

Today I have basically zero affiliation with the Catholic Church. I just don't buy what they're selling. I still go to church with my Mom and stepdad on Easter and Xmas, but that's more for them than it is for me.

I think the best part about religion is the sense of community, focus on family, and giving back charitably. There is a lot of good there in that sense. I do believe in a higher power- I'm not agnostic- and I do say prayers to that higher power, but I'd have a hard time calling myself Catholic at this point.
Same thing here. I mean personally I kind of enjoy it on the holidays, there's always something at church that makes for a great laugh later. Weather it be Father Mike adjusting the pitch of his voice in a seemingly random manner to the girl sitting in front of us wearing a thong. It was priceless to see my whole family crack up, including my ultra serious while at church father.

One of my favorite moments in church was when we had an Irish priest guest host a family mass in which during the sermon the children come up and sit around the alter. When the children were flocking towards the front the priest commented on how it seemed that people weren't using birth control in our town.

Either way this thread has led me to consider going back to religion. I mean personally I'm agnostic but when you think about it, there had to be some ultra powerful force of pure goodness that was strong enough to get Vinny fired. Without a God and a Messiah it's literally impossible.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #64
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,511
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

SS84,

If it's Christ you are searching for, just continue to pray and He will lead you to the right church. Some here absolutely will despise you for even starting such a thread let alone make such a decision to follow Christ. Some will even make fun of you over it. You will lose any respect you may have had before, but just keep doing what you're doing man...and I swear you'll be more content with life.

And whichever denomination you feel most comfortable in is fine. There are some churches that are waaaay over the top and there are some who are more down to earth. Just seek the place that speaks to your heart the most and keep an open mind. If you need someone to pray with you, I'm always here.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 AM   #65
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
SS84,

If it's Christ you are searching for, just continue to pray and He will lead you to the right church. Some here absolutely will despise you for even starting such a thread let alone make such a decision to follow Christ. Some will even make fun of you over it. You will lose any respect you may have had before, but just keep doing what you're doing man...and I swear you'll be more content with life.

And whichever denomination you feel most comfortable in is fine. There are some churches that are waaaay over the top and there are some who are more down to earth. Just seek the place that speaks to your heart the most and keep an open mind. If you need someone to pray with you, I'm always here.
I'd argue that denouncing faith will get you more disrespect in the real world. Presidents HAVE to claim a Christian faith or they're not going to make it; people assume that agnostics and atheists are evil, morally devoid devil worshippers.

It's just easier to talk online for some people.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #66
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,288
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Religion...

- Makes people feel a lot less scared about dying, believing there's an afterlife.

- Cannot be proven or disproven.

- Is a serious money-maker, supporting jobs for many.

If that's not the biggest grift of all time, I don't know what is. A lot of good comes from it because there are a lot of kind-hearted people involved. But that good comes from the kindness in their hearts, the tale that is religion is simply a catalyst for it.

There is no god, there is no afterlife, there is only life on Earth as we know it. If you want to believe otherwise, cool whatever. But don't waste your hard earned money supporting religion the institution, because it's all a load of crap.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #67
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,511
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I'd argue that denouncing faith will get you more disrespect in the real world. Presidents HAVE to claim a Christian faith or they're not going to make it; people assume that agnostics and atheists are evil, morally devoid devil worshippers.

It's just easier to talk online for some people.
I'm not so sure about that nowadays. Maybe in certain areas within the bible belt, but I don't think the "real world", from personal experience, really finds it offensive to denounce faith. There are a lot of assumptions and unfair characterizations on both sides of the spectrum. Such as your example of Agnostics and Atheists. And I can add the example on the other end of it as well, with people of faith being weak minded and nothing but "sheep". Both sides are guilty of false characterizations.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #68
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,511
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Religion...

- Makes people feel a lot less scared about dying, believing there's an afterlife.

- Cannot be proven or disproven.

- Is a serious money-maker, supporting jobs for many.

If that's not the biggest grift of all time, I don't know what is. A lot of good comes from it because there are a lot of kind-hearted people involved. But that good comes from the kindness in their hearts, the tale that is religion is simply a catalyst for it.

There is no god, there is no afterlife, there is only life on Earth as we know it. If you want to believe otherwise, cool whatever. But don't waste your hard earned money supporting religion the institution, because it's all a load of crap.
Certainly entitled to your opinion Schneed and I respect you for that! Even though I believe thinking that there is no afterlife is also a load of crap! Cheers!
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #69
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,007
Re: I've made the decision to find religion....Now What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Religion...

- Makes people feel a lot less scared about dying, believing there's an afterlife.

- Cannot be proven or disproven.

- Is a serious money-maker, supporting jobs for many.

If that's not the biggest grift of all time, I don't know what is. A lot of good comes from it because there are a lot of kind-hearted people involved. But that good comes from the kindness in their hearts, the tale that is religion is simply a catalyst for it.

There is no god, there is no afterlife, there is only life on Earth as we know it. If you want to believe otherwise, cool whatever. But don't waste your hard earned money supporting religion the institution, because it's all a load of crap.
I think this supercedes your subsequent analysis?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26122 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25