Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Wireless N+

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
PS3 has a built in N card.
That's why I ultimately chose an N router when I was looking. Cpayne is probably right about N not being a big upgrade from G (after all he's a smart dude), but the extra $ was worth it to me to never have to wonder if my PS3 experience could be better.

Rationalizing the irrational in the name of getting a new toy. It what we guys do.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's why I ultimately chose an N router when I was looking. Cpayne is probably right about N not being a big upgrade from G (after all he's a smart dude), but the extra $ was worth it to me to never have to wonder if my PS3 experience could be better.

Rationalizing the irrational in the name of getting a new toy. It what we guys do.

So true my PS3 kicks major butt now! LOL! Actually it seems to be performing the same. I may even upgrade my Xbox G card to a N card but why it runs perfect now.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here is the one my sister has, as well as the one we use here at work for our wireless network: Cisco Linksys - Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch - WRT160N

This router end up being a fail for me. It always dropped the signal it was horrible. Well I am back to my G router in search of something else.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,462
Re: Wireless N+

Could be a dud. Sorry you had issues. Sounds like it worked great at first.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Wireless N+

It may be an interference issue.

From an earlier post, I said...
"Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices."

802.11 has 12 channels in the US. Of those 12, only 3 are non-overlapping at 20MHz channel widths (b/g). So, theoretically, if you see 4 SSIDs, there is interference on at least one channel (and with devices coming from the factory set to channel 6, they all may be using the same channel!). N uses 40MHz channel widths, so you do the math on how much noise there may be on the 2.4GHz spectrum if all your neighbors are using N too.

You can change the channel on which your device operates. Do a site survey, ie look at all the SSIDs visible from your device, and note their signal strength and channel number. Set your device to use an empty channel, or a channel with the lowest signal if a device is already operating on that channel.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Could be a dud. Sorry you had issues. Sounds like it worked great at first.

Yeah it was. Funny thing is a lot of reviews said the same thing great entail performance then it crapped out.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It may be an interference issue.

From an earlier post, I said...
"Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices."

802.11 has 12 channels in the US. Of those 12, only 3 are non-overlapping at 20MHz channel widths (b/g). So, theoretically, if you see 4 SSIDs, there is interference on at least one channel (and with devices coming from the factory set to channel 6, they all may be using the same channel!). N uses 40MHz channel widths, so you do the math on how much noise there may be on the 2.4GHz spectrum if all your neighbors are using N too.

You can change the channel on which your device operates. Do a site survey, ie look at all the SSIDs visible from your device, and note their signal strength and channel number. Set your device to use an empty channel, or a channel with the lowest signal if a device is already operating on that channel.

you may be right but is now back in the return pile at Best Buy. I am getting FIOS at the end of summer I will re-visited the issue after the install.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Wireless N+

The wireless router market is a crapshoot...pick a router and hope for the best.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,462
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It may be an interference issue.

From an earlier post, I said...
"Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices."

802.11 has 12 channels in the US. Of those 12, only 3 are non-overlapping at 20MHz channel widths (b/g). So, theoretically, if you see 4 SSIDs, there is interference on at least one channel (and with devices coming from the factory set to channel 6, they all may be using the same channel!). N uses 40MHz channel widths, so you do the math on how much noise there may be on the 2.4GHz spectrum if all your neighbors are using N too.

You can change the channel on which your device operates. Do a site survey, ie look at all the SSIDs visible from your device, and note their signal strength and channel number. Set your device to use an empty channel, or a channel with the lowest signal if a device is already operating on that channel.
I had initially wrote about interference, but pulled back as I've gotten a bad router from Linksys before.

I recently switched security on my G router from WEP to WPA in order to get my work Win7 Laptop to connect (Never had any hacking issues with WEP, so I never changed it; and for some reason, Win7 did not like WEP), and it was dropping the signal on all computers, having to reboot my router every 12-18 hours. Changed the channel, and boom, no more issues or reboots.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The wireless router market is a crapshoot...pick a router and hope for the best.
Pretty much. They're all cheapo knockoffs from their commercial grade stuff.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,914
Re: Wireless N+

I changed my channel out of the box for the various reasons above. Still running G and haven't had a problem with the router yet. I stream Netflix to a Roku over it with no problem...through two floors from the corner of a sub-terrain basement. I'm afraid to switch to N since my G has been so rock solid .
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.24106 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25