Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Wireless N+

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,594
Wireless N+

Should I upgrade to N plus wireless. I currently have G and I play games on line and stream movies. Rarely do I have a issue but wondering if N plus will make a huge leap for me.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Wireless N+

If you're doing a lot of transferring between computers on your network, sure. Otherwise G is still adequate.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,655
Re: Wireless N+

I recently switched to N but I honestly haven't noticed a difference.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I recently switched to N but I honestly haven't noticed a difference.
Yeah, most people won't. If you're moving files around a bit you'll notice it as it's definitely faster in that regard; or in a direct line of site you'll get better range. It operates at a higher frequency though which is actually worse for passing through barriers.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Yeah, most people won't. If you're moving files around a bit you'll notice it as it's definitely faster in that regard; or in a direct line of site you'll get better range. It operates at a higher frequency though which is actually worse for passing through barriers.
802.11n in the US is mostly 2.4GHz, which is what b/g also runs on. There are some products in the market that are using the 5GHz spectrum, which as you said, does not propagate through obstacles as well as 2.4GHz. Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices.

To answer your question, mredskins, no, N will not be a huge leap for you.

Here's a good thread (Computer Question Regarding Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Connections) (though someone (Computer Question Regarding Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Connections), didn't think I knew my stuff) where N was discussed last year. It should be noted that 802.11N has since been ratified by the IEEE.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,517
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
802.11n in the US is mostly 2.4GHz, which is what b/g also runs on. There are some products in the market that are using the 5GHz spectrum, which as you said, does not propagate through obstacles as well as 2.4GHz. Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices.

To answer your question, mredskins, no, N will not be a huge leap for you.

Here's a good thread (Computer Question Regarding Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Connections) (though someone (Computer Question Regarding Wired Ethernet vs Wireless Connections), didn't think I knew my stuff) where N was discussed last year. It should be noted that 802.11N has since been ratified by the IEEE.
Speaking of IEEE, I recently bought a Toshiba Laptop and it does not have an IEEE port, is there a way that I can put an IEEE port on the laptop???
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
Speaking of IEEE, I recently bought a Toshiba Laptop and it does not have an IEEE port, is there a way that I can put an IEEE port on the laptop???
I assume you're referring to IEEE 1394 Firewire? If so, then you can probably just pick up a PCMCIA or ExpressCard Firewire card.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Playmaker
 
Redskins8588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ridgway, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,517
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
I assume you're referring to IEEE 1394 Firewire? If so, then you can probably just pick up a PCMCIA or ExpressCard Firewire card.
You are correct sir!!! I have a sony handycam that uses Mini-DV tape cassests, I like the camcorder but until I got my old HP laptop I couldnt do anything with the home movies. But then my HP took a crap so I bought this Toshiba but it did not come with an IEEE firewire card. Thanks for your help...
__________________
"I am the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice" - Sean Taylor
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins8588 View Post
You are correct sir!!! I have a sony handycam that uses Mini-DV tape cassests, I like the camcorder but until I got my old HP laptop I couldnt do anything with the home movies. But then my HP took a crap so I bought this Toshiba but it did not come with an IEEE firewire card. Thanks for your help...
Sure! I hope you get it working.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,594
Re: Wireless N+

So I guess I am going to up grade my router, any suggestions? I got a free Best Buy $100 gift card at work for staying in shape over 2009 so I guess I will use that on the new router. Any suggestion? I like N and a good range my current one doesn't have the best range.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Wireless N+

Here is the one my sister has, as well as the one we use here at work for our wireless network: Cisco Linksys - Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch - WRT160N
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,655
Re: Wireless N+

^^ I've got that one too, works great
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here is the one my sister has, as well as the one we use here at work for our wireless network: Cisco Linksys - Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch - WRT160N
I use this one. Never an issue with it, it's great.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,594
Re: Wireless N+

I take your guys word for it but that router has pretty stinky reviews.

What about this one?

Cisco Linksys - Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch - WRT120N
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,594
Re: Wireless N+

So I bought the WRT160N seems really good, much better range. I am getting my full signal on my Xbox when before I was getting two or sometimes three bars. thanks for the tip.

BTW- Unless you have a N wireless card on your Xbox it is running at G no matter what your router is. PS3 has a built in N card.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27227 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25