Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #166
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,426
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
There are dummies all over. The are also smart people who know what they're talking about. On both sides of the issue.
Oh I know, I'm just teasing FD a bit.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #167
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,487
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Not too sure where I stand totally but I have read enough to know this...the entire debate has been politicized and there is unbelievable bias on each side. Too often "facts" on each side are not actually real facts but suppositions masquerading as facts. The facts seem to be this...warming is happening although its extent is debated. Why that warming is happening isn't positively known. Those who believe it is caused by humans base there beliefs on models. Models made by humans...who believe in man-made warming. Even they'll admit the models aren't right. How wrong they are matters. If they're just wrong in terms of degree then they're basic theories are correct but skeptics accurately point out that only one of the myriad of reasons they believe the models are wrong has to be right to totally invalidate the theories. Alas, some more reasonable skeptics make some good points. If you're a denier then you're definitely wrong because the skeptics don't have more scientifically proven causes either.
Right, But my argument here is that the "Skeptics", side of the argument is given equal air time and validity for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons being the media's pattern or tenancy to provide a point, counter-point format. Ie, giving two sides of an issue equal air time and validity when their needs to exist a discrepancy between the two to actually present the facts more objectively. Would it make much sense to discuss the moon landing with equal breath to the conspiracy theorists? No.

Obviously there are outside pressures influencing this- and I think it's to credit your point about this issue being so heavily politicized... but from a purely scientific standpoint- this is a non-issue. The overwhelming majority of climatologists have a consensus.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #168
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
This is one issue where there's a serious generational gap. Being older makes you stupid in this arena. 30 somethings and younger came up with global warming being heavily taught in Earth science classes in middle schools and high schools, the science behind the concept is so basic that 7th graders get it easily. 60 somethings have barely even heard of the concept.

Being old and curmudgeonly, naturally the old heads dismiss media reports they've never heard about.

I used to be with it, then they changed what "it" was!
The older generation is still stuck on all that science about global cooling.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #169
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Fixed. :cheeky-sm



Most people still trying to deny global warming are doing so that they can continue profiting from destroying the planet. Either that, or they aren't educated enough to understand science and most likely believe everything that corporate media tells them.
You don't think Al and his buddies have not profitted from global warming. Trillions have been made of global warming and there are trillions more that will be made so that argument deos not flush. Its corporate media that has pushed global warming so that also does not work.

Just to be clear most all agree the earth is in a warming cycle we just disagree with the cause.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #170
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,240
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Its a cycle like FD said.
Unless its not true the Great Lakes were covered in glaciers......
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #171
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,443
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Despite what many people say, the cause of global warming really has nothing to do with the issue moving forward. Moving forward, it really doesn't matter where climate change comes from. We should stop talking so much about the cause because it derails discussion that counts.

Regardless of cause, moving forward we don't want to make the warming process worse. Therefore now and into the future we should all strive to live in as environmentally-friendly ways as possible. This is true whether we are human-cause-of-climate-change believers or deniers.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #172
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Despite what many people say, the cause of global warming really has nothing to do with the issue moving forward. Moving forward, it really doesn't matter where climate change comes from. We should stop talking so much about the cause because it derails discussion that counts.

Regardless of cause, moving forward we don't want to make the warming process worse. Therefore now and into the future we should all strive to live in as environmentally-friendly ways as possible. This is true whether we are human-cause-of-climate-change believers or deniers.
I don't have a problem with going green as we can but lets do it smart. For example E10 gas uses more energy to make and is less efficient. Its all done because of global warming and it does nothing at all to help.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #173
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,625
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Despite what many people say, the cause of global warming really has nothing to do with the issue moving forward. Moving forward, it really doesn't matter where climate change comes from. We should stop talking so much about the cause because it derails discussion that counts.

Regardless of cause, moving forward we don't want to make the warming process worse. Therefore now and into the future we should all strive to live in as environmentally-friendly ways as possible. This is true whether we are human-cause-of-climate-change believers or deniers.
Totally agree.

Doesn't matter how we got here, but we have to do something about where we're going.

Burying your head in the sand accomplishes nothing.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #174
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
The overwhelming majority of climatologists have a consensus.
You should do some research on this point because it is the one point that helped me switch from being a real skeptic to a firm believer. I have since fallen back into the middle area. There are a lot of actual climatologists (not just scientists) who would greatly dispute the notion that there is any consensus about causation. The "consensus" that is so always discussed is really the consensus of scientists who aren't climatologists or only focus on certain parts of the discussion.

My feeling is that reducing greenhouse emissions in smart practical ways is a good idea since a) it won't hurt anything b) let's just do it to be on the safe side and c) there are some potential political benefits. But based on my reading..which I try to do on this a lot...there are a good many climatologists who dispute greatly the notion that humans are appreciably warming the earth and they have just as much science on their side.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #175
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,497
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

I used to be very up to date on this stuff but shifting through the dreck finally got to me. At this point, I would agree with FRLPG pretty much 100% in his analysis of "consensus".

It is another one of those issues where the emotions and value systems crowd out science and fiscal analysis when folks start analyzing what the appropriate response is.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #176
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

So its the second day of spring and its snowing its ass off. Good thing they changed it to climate change so they can blame this cold weather on global warm.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #177
Impact Rookie
 
BaltimoreSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 893
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Global warming is a phenomenon due to climate change. Scientists never changed the term global warming into climate change.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #178
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,991
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So its the second day of spring and its snowing its ass off. Good thing they changed it to climate change so they can blame this cold weather on global warm.
I hear you.....rough here to.
FlipFlops on....windows open. Fishing (not the ice kind) on Sat.
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #179
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

I just saw snow.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #180
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Global Warming? My A$$ Its Cold Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Global warming is a phenomenon due to climate change. Scientists never changed the term global warming into climate change.
Climate change is on going so that is true but the global warming was the current term that was being used for some time. Now they have switched back to calling it climate change becuase it works better for their agenda. Kind of hard to tell someone that the 2 foot of snow in their yard is a result of global warming.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.68686 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25