Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
No biggie? Strongly disagree there. If it was someone on the other side of the aisle, Rham and Co would be up in arms big time. Obviously Obama isn't going to be doing his party any favors if he flips out on his own Senate Majority Leader. You are African-American, right? Would you be upset if a close co-worker said these things about you?

As far as the mid-terms, the Dems are gonna lose their 60-40 for sure. Check this out:

Democrats face midterm elections exodus | World news | The Guardian
No biggie as far as this won't have a big impact on Reid's chances of winning or losing his seat in Nevada. He's already down in the polls and I don't think this comment will sink him any further. But I guess that remains to be seen. He certainly didn't do himself any favors that's for sure. Further, this is hardly Harry Reid's first bone headed comment. He has foot in mouth disease about as much as Joe Biden does, but for some reason Reid's comments tend to fly under the radar.

But let's cut to the chase with this. Do I think Reid is a racist, I don't know for sure but I'm inclined to say no. Reason being is his legislative record has been towards social justice, which primarily benefits minorities and people of color, and the fact that he has no track record, that I'm aware of, that suggest otherwise. I think Harry Reid is just culturally disconnected. That's my take on it. And I don't think he's disconnected on the issue of race alone.

Is there a double standard, I'm not so sure on that one either. When I think of the recent Republican history, names like Strom Thurman, Senator Jim Demint, Maj. Leader Trent Lott, AG John Ashcroft, Gov. Haley Barbour, and Sen. George Allen have either delved into playing racial politics or displayed racially insensitive behavior. More recently Chip Saltsman, who was running for RNC Chair, was circulating the Barack the Magic Negro tape. That was, what, seven months ago? It's through that lens which most people, indeed minorities, tend to view the GOP when it comes to race. It's not entirely justified, as we know that Republicans aren't racists, but many in the GOP until this day still refuse to denounce the confederate flag. So the seemingly double standard has it's roots in recent history.

As far President Obama and Rahm jumping all over some comment made by either side, I disagree. The president has gone out of his way to avoid controversial statements like this from both sides, and I can assure you they have more important issues to worry about than who's tossing around the word negro. If that were they case, they would have pounced on Joe Biden, and a few others, during the campaign when Biden called Obama clean and articulate, but they didn't. The last thing the president and the White House want to get bogged down with is the issue of race.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,154
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
My best friend's grandparents (who are white) used the term Negro to my face, but they also call Asians, "Orientals" and I think its just because they don't know any better. It's the time period lived through so I don't think badly of them at all.

But if someone I'd say under the age of 50 started throwing the word Negro around, I'd be like what the hell? There are too many bad images and stories tied to the word. I'm also not down for people using the term, "colored" which seems to be trying to make a comeback. I'm just black. Not Negro, not African-American. Just black. I'm not speaking for all black people, just for myself, but if someone addressed me as Negro, I'd probably kick them in the junk.

To me it's kind of like calling someone Japanese a "Jap". It's just in really, really poor taste.
To me it's kind of like calling someone Japanese a "Jap". It's just in really, really poor taste.....Understood, good point

but if someone addressed me as Negro, I'd probably kick them in the junk.....VERY good point
It's hard to imagine that "colored" is making a comeback. I have not heard that term since my Grandfather passed.....years ago (And he meant NO disrespect)
AND.....thankyou!
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,195
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
It's hard to imagine that "colored" is making a comeback. I have not heard that term since my Grandfather passed.....years ago (And he meant NO disrespect)
AND.....thankyou!
I totally understand that. For older generations, it's something they grew up with and they still used the term, because that's what they're used to. Which is why when my friend's grandmother used it, it kinda caught me off guard, but I knew how she meant it and meant no harm by it.

But yeah I've heard people calling themselves colored. But I've heard it from people who consider themselves Indian (from India) and people from out of the country.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #19
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I totally understand that. For older generations, it's something they grew up with and they still used the term, because that's what they're used to. Which is why when my friend's grandmother used it, it kinda caught me off guard, but I knew how she meant it and meant no harm by it.

But yeah I've heard people calling themselves colored. But I've heard it from people who consider themselves Indian (from India) and people from out of the country
.
I've heard people refer to themselves as "brown" lately quite a bit. It took me off guard the first few times. There is a woman I work with who's Phillipino that says it all the time. Kinda strange I thought.

I just think people are overly sensitive these days. Nobody bats an eye if a non-white person refers to someone as "white," but I've seen African-Americans get all worked up if they hear someone referred to as "black."
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,195
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I've heard people refer to themselves as "brown" lately quite a bit. It took me off guard the first few times. There is a woman I work with who's Phillipino that says it all the time. Kinda strange I thought.

I just think people are overly sensitive these days. Nobody bats an eye if a non-white person refers to someone as "white," but I've seen African-Americans get all worked up if they hear someone referred to as "black."
I've actually seen it the other way around, especially with people from the Caribbean, and like Haiti and the Dominican Republic, HATE being called African-American. I've seen people get into arguments over it.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #21
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

he was out of line with those comments. are they reason for his ouster? don't know. but Hoo hit the nail on the head. 99% of politicians are out of touch with the every day Joe's that they are supposed to represent
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #22
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,410
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Bill Clinton told Ted Kennedy that Obama 'would be getting us coffee' a few years ago: 'Game Change' . Not much class on BC's part either , sad if true .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

according to the gossipy new campaign book, "Game Change."

no news here. just he said, she said. move on.....
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
he was out of line with those comments. are they reason for his ouster? don't know. but Hoo hit the nail on the head. 99% of politicians are out of touch with the every day Joe's that they are supposed to represent
Quote:
according to the gossipy new campaign book, "Game Change."

no news here. just he said, she said. move on.....
You do realize the Reid comment is also according to the book "Game Change"?
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
You do realize the Reid comment is also according to the book "Game Change"?
Right, but Reid's apology for the comments acknowledges that he did in fact say it.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #26
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
No biggie as far as this won't have a big impact on Reid's chances of winning or losing his seat in Nevada. He's already down in the polls and I don't think this comment will sink him any further. But I guess that remains to be seen. He certainly didn't do himself any favors that's for sure. Further, this is hardly Harry Reid's first bone headed comment. He has foot in mouth disease about as much as Joe Biden does, but for some reason Reid's comments tend to fly under the radar.

But let's cut to the chase with this. Do I think Reid is a racist, I don't know for sure but I'm inclined to say no. Reason being is his legislative record has been towards social justice, which primarily benefits minorities and people of color, and the fact that he has no track record, that I'm aware of, that suggest otherwise. I think Harry Reid is just culturally disconnected. That's my take on it. And I don't think he's disconnected on the issue of race alone.

Is there a double standard, I'm not so sure on that one either. When I think of the recent Republican history, names like Strom Thurman, Senator Jim Demint, Maj. Leader Trent Lott, AG John Ashcroft, Gov. Haley Barbour, and Sen. George Allen have either delved into playing racial politics or displayed racially insensitive behavior. More recently Chip Saltsman, who was running for RNC Chair, was circulating the Barack the Magic Negro tape. That was, what, seven months ago? It's through that lens which most people, indeed minorities, tend to view the GOP when it comes to race. It's not entirely justified, as we know that Republicans aren't racists, but many in the GOP until this day still refuse to denounce the confederate flag. So the seemingly double standard has it's roots in recent history.

As far President Obama and Rahm jumping all over some comment made by either side, I disagree. The president has gone out of his way to avoid controversial statements like this from both sides, and I can assure you they have more important issues to worry about than who's tossing around the word negro. If that were they case, they would have pounced on Joe Biden, and a few others, during the campaign when Biden called Obama clean and articulate, but they didn't. The last thing the president and the White House want to get bogged down with is the issue of race.
Then maybe he'll find ways to get his party to drive out Reid while he focuses on bigger things.

Obama in '02: 'The Republican Party itself has to drive out Trent Lott' | The Weekly Standard
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #27
Registered User
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 518
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
You do realize the Reid comment is also according to the book "Game Change"?
So that make it ok in your book huh?
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #28
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

old rich white guys.. heh
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #29
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

re: the census

Sonny Le, a regional spokesman for the Census Bureau, said the term "Negro" has been on the survey for at least 100 years. He said the form is reviewed and analyzed thoroughly by different offices and advisory groups before being finalized.

Le said the decision to keep the term "Negro" on the form was due principally to the fact some older African-Americans still identify themselves by that term. In fact, in the 2000 census, more than 50,000 people chose to write down explicitly that they identified themselves as "Negro" in a section where the census allows people to provide additional information. That number does not include those who checked the box "Black, African-Am., or Negro."

The word 'Negro' on 2010 census form sparks debate - San Jose Mercury News
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #30
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Senate Majority Leader Reid has racist comments towards Obama come to light

negro basically stemmed from the slave trade coming through the west indies.. was the same as black, but yeah, I guess negative connotations came through it

but every decade or so you have to change names for people i.e. negro, colored, black, african-american, etc... retarded, mentally handicapped, mentally disabled, special needs, etc... midgets dwarfs blah blah little people, etc

people just get their panties in a bunch no matter what.. they're the ones that fight to be called something then 10-20 years later it's derogatory

I now wish to be referred to as melanin challenged
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32651 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25