Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Massachusetts Senate Race

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Massachusetts Senate Race

Well I'll have to say I did not see this coming and this is going to be a very close election. I think the main reason is that Mass reformed their state health ins. back in 2006 and the cost have soared and new regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice. Your thoughts. Massachusetts Miracle or Massachusetts Miserable: What the Failure of the "Massachusetts Model" Tells Us about Health Care Reform | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Briefing Paper
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

If you're a democrat, this is a potential disaster on so many level. Martha Coakley, just like Creigh Deeds who lost in Virginia, is just a horrible candidate. She campaigned poorly, lazily (if that's a word), and had no passion. From what I understand she's a good woman, but her campaign has been run arrogantly and out of touch.

In terms of where healthcare now stands, it seems like the Dems and the White House are contingent planning in the event Coakley loses and pass the Senate version, without it going to the House, and get it to the president's desk for his signature.

This is just ugly. I'm so ready for this shit to be over. On a separate, but somewhat related note, Mitt Romney has been awfully quiet throughout this entire debate. And if the Republicans are hanging their fortunes on him in 2012, this is just a taste of the backlash he could face seeing he was governor when healthcare passed in Mass.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

The Dems only have themself to blame for changing the law back in 2004 to hold a special election.Massachusetts' law requires special election to fill Ted Kennedy's U.S. Senate seat | National News - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well I'll have to say I did not see this coming and this is going to be a very close election. I think the main reason is that Mass reformed their state health ins. back in 2006 and the cost have soared and new regulations and bureaucracy are limiting consumer choice. Your thoughts. Massachusetts Miracle or Massachusetts Miserable: What the Failure of the "Massachusetts Model" Tells Us about Health Care Reform | Michael D. Tanner | Cato Institute: Briefing Paper
The sad truth is Mr. Brown voted for MA's healthcare plan and Gov. Romney signed it willingly. If Dems can't pull MA in it's going to be a really ugly election year.

__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The sad truth is Mr. Brown voted for MA's healthcare plan and Gov. Romney signed it willingly. If Dems can't pull MA in it's going to be a really ugly election year.

Ugly for the Dems maybe. I'm not convienced he can win until all the votes are counted. Even then if he wins all we will hear about is all the fraud that went on but that's allready starting.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

funny how Brown, who voted FOR Mass. health care, says Obama's plan sucks. and them being 2 different plans is a good thing IMO
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Well, Brown opened up a five point lead today in the latest poll. But the northeast can be so unpredictable on election day. I hope Coakley can eek this one out. She doesn't deserve to win, but I hope she does.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Even the people of Massachusetts think ObamaCare is a bad idea. That says a LOT.

That IS what that election is about. There's no denying it.

I just hate how the Democrats are using the death of Senator Kennedy to further their political plans. Plus, it's NOT the Kennedy Seat, as Brown said correctly, it's the "People's Seat". The Democrats (and the Kennedy family) think they're entitled to the seat and will be in for a huge shock when the people take it back from that family and party.

This is just a preview of the 2010 elections in November. The far majority of Americans DO NOT WANT ObamaCare and their backdoor, middle-of-the-night, bribe-filled attempts to force it on people despite the opinions of the constituents is going to wake up a sleeping giant. See here: CNSNews.com - What Washington Post Story Did Not Say about Its Own Poll: Most Americans Say They Want a Smaller Government


More chaos:
After Obama Rally, Dems Pin Blame On Bush - Hotline On Call

My Way News - Dems look at bypassing Senate health care vote

Gateway Pundit
The Kennedys don't even know her name!
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Definitely going to be a close race with the looser accusing the other of cheating. Will be a fascinating race to watch.

In some of the things I am reading it says Obama has done a tv commercial supporting Miss Coakley. And I am pretty sure Obama also did one for Mr. Deeds. I know in the past Presidents have vocalized their support for a senator, congressman, or governor candidate through interviews and general comments, but have they ever really done tv commercials?
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Definitely going to be a close race with the looser accusing the other of cheating. Will be a fascinating race to watch.

In some of the things I am reading it says Obama has done a tv commercial supporting Miss Coakley. And I am pretty sure Obama also did one for Mr. Deeds. I know in the past Presidents have vocalized their support for a senator, congressman, or governor candidate through interviews and general comments, but have they ever really done tv commercials?

yea,i'm pretty sure he did. it only hurt deeds though. virginia, like alot of other states, was fooled into voting for obama but after seeing obama in action for a few months most people that voted for him are realizing they made a mistake. so when obama endorses someone people vote the other way.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Wolfeskins, you're wrong on both accounts. Respectfully. First, the exit polling in both the Virginia and N.J races were not a referundum on the president or his agenda. It was and still is primarily about the respective candidates themselves and the local issues in those states. In the case of Creigh Deeds, as I've stated before, and in the case of Martha Coakley both campaigns left a lot to be desired.

On the second point, Obama stumped for Coakley yesterday at Northeastern University. They used footage from that event; Obama didn't tape a commercial for her. It's her commercial and her voice endorsing said ad at the end. I think for people to try to connect the dots from these two or three races and come to some conclusion about the president's agenda is premature and not realizing most importantly that politics are local. This is the ebb and flow of politics and elections in an off year for incumbent candidates.

Are Democrats in trouble? With each day that passes, that's becoming more and more appearant. But to say this spells trouble in 2012 for President Obama is wishful thinking, in my opinion. It takes a horse to beat a horse, and so far the Republicans have produced a lot of show ponies.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,165
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

I would like to see Brown win but I have a sinking feeling Coakley will eek it out in the 11the hour. IF Brown wins expect the Dems on the Hill to push Healthcare through before Brown gets there.
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,165
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Are Democrats in trouble? With each day that passes, that's becoming more and more appearant. But to say this spells trouble in 2012 for President Obama is wishful thinking, in my opinion. It takes a horse to beat a horse, and so far the Republicans have produced a lot of show ponies.[/QUOTE]
~~~~
I agree with your comment esp about 2012. Unless Obama totally bungles things he will be re-elected. I have believed all along he would be a two term president. The Republicans are still in disaray and need to sort themselves out if they want to put a viable candidate out there in 2012.
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,456
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurfs22 View Post
Are Democrats in trouble? With each day that passes, that's becoming more and more appearant. But to say this spells trouble in 2012 for President Obama is wishful thinking, in my opinion. It takes a horse to beat a horse, and so far the Republicans have produced a lot of show ponies.
~~~~
I agree with your comment esp about 2012. Unless Obama totally bungles things he will be re-elected. I have believed all along he would be a two term president. The Republicans are still in disaray and need to sort themselves out if they want to put a viable candidate out there in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong though, a Coakley lost will be a big hit to the White House. But like I said, you need another heavy weight to put in the ring in 2012, and right now Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, and Mike Huckabee are the front runners. Someone like Senator John Thune could emerge as a player, I don't know. But he's more of a long shot than a viable candidate at this point.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
The Starter
 
wolfeskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: chesapeake,va.
Posts: 2,160
Re: Massachusetts Senate Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Wolfeskins, you're wrong on both accounts. Respectfully. First, the exit polling in both the Virginia and N.J races were not a referundum on the president or his agenda. It was and still is primarily about the respective candidates themselves and the local issues in those states. In the case of Creigh Deeds, as I've stated before, and in the case of Martha Coakley both campaigns left a lot to be desired.

On the second point, Obama stumped for Coakley yesterday at Northeastern University. They used footage from that event; Obama didn't tape a commercial for her. It's her commercial and her voice endorsing said ad at the end. I think for people to try to connect the dots from these two or three races and come to some conclusion about the president's agenda is premature and not realizing most importantly that politics are local. This is the ebb and flow of politics and elections in an off year for incumbent candidates.

Are Democrats in trouble? With each day that passes, that's becoming more and more appearant. But to say this spells trouble in 2012 for President Obama is wishful thinking, in my opinion. It takes a horse to beat a horse, and so far the Republicans have produced a lot of show ponies.
hey all i'm saying is people are really disapointed with obama and the demacratic party and because of that republicans will continue to gain seats.

like i've said before obama will prolly go down as the worst pres.in history so far. he's been a huge disapointment.
__________________
Hail to Allen/Shanahan .... bring in some baby hogs and load up on diesel fuel !!! (budw38)
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30080 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25