Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,585
Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Boost in Md. cigarette taxes a boon for smugglers - baltimoresun.com

I thought this was a very well written piece, pointing out the reality of high taxes when neighboring states have low ones. Think the writer made several good points. Any thoughts?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

When I was smoking I went to the hood (Creighton Court, Fulton Hill, or Church Hill) and got a carton for ($20.00). I never pay taxes when I don't have to. Everytime I go up to New Jersey, I take as many smokes as I can. It pays for my split of the gas and food, with a little left over.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Not a tobacco user, but I oppose these aggressive taxes on what the Government deems to be unhealthy...next we'll have a bacon tax!


Quote:
H.R. 4439, the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 was introduced on January 13, 2010 and would raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound.



111TH CONGRESS
2D SESSION H. R. 4439
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose the same rate
of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed on roll-your-own tobacco.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
JANUARY 13, 2010
Mr. COHEN (for himself and Mr. DOGGETT) introduced the following bill;
which was referred to the Committee on Ways and Means
A BILL
To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose
the same rate of tax on pipe tobacco as is imposed
on roll-your-own tobacco.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,



SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010’’.



SEC. 2. PIPE TOBACCO AND ROLL-YOUR-OWN TOBACCO RATE PARITY.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Subsection (f) of section 5701 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking ‘‘$2.8311 cents’’ and inserting ‘‘$24.78’’.



(b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to articles removed (as defined in section 5702(j) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986) after the date of the enactment of this Act.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Not a tobacco user, but I oppose these aggressive taxes on what the Government deems to be unhealthy...next we'll have a bacon tax!
YUMMMMMMM! Bacon, bacon. bacon don't tax my bacon.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,297
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Not a tobacco user, but I oppose these aggressive taxes on what the Government deems to be unhealthy...next we'll have a bacon tax!
If you smoke you're more likely to end up in the hospital in your elder years, costing Medicare more.

Just like car insurance where if you're prone to accidents you pay a higher premium, so should smokers because their hospital and pharmaceutical utilization is higher.

I don't care whether the additional tax revenue actually goes to Medicare, or goes somewhere else. Bottom line is it's only fair to pay more for risk coverage if you engage in riskier behavior.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
If you smoke you're more likely to end up in the hospital in your elder years, costing Medicare more.

Just like car insurance where if you're prone to accidents you pay a higher premium, so should smokers because their hospital and pharmaceutical utilization is higher.

I don't care whether the additional tax revenue actually goes to Medicare, or goes somewhere else. Bottom line is it's only fair to pay more for risk coverage if you engage in riskier behavior.
Are you so sure about that?

White House statement supporting the bill, which awaits action in the Senate, echoed the argument by contending that tobacco use "accounts for over a $100 billion annually in financial costs to the economy."
However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.
Do smokers cost society money?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,386
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Are you so sure about that?

White House statement supporting the bill, which awaits action in the Senate, echoed the argument by contending that tobacco use "accounts for over a $100 billion annually in financial costs to the economy."
However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.
Do smokers cost society money?
Nice work first . And the Vikings score again on the cowturds
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

These debates always make me laugh. Why would it matter if they taxed the hell out of cigs unless you were a cig addict? Fact is, you do not need cigs in any form or fashion to live. There is absolutely no need for it...none, not even a minor need. So if you don't like the tax...dont smoke!
Howard Stern (whom I can't stand) made a valuable point MANY years ago. If you don't like me, turn the channel. I have every time he comes on. The point is dead on here too...if you don't like the tax on it, stop smoking.
RAISE CIG TAXES!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
These debates always make me laugh. Why would it matter if they taxed the hell out of cigs unless you were a cig addict? Fact is, you do not need cigs in any form or fashion to live. There is absolutely no need for it...none, not even a minor need. So if you don't like the tax...dont smoke!
Howard Stern (whom I can't stand) made a valuable point MANY years ago. If you don't like me, turn the channel. I have every time he comes on. The point is dead on here too...if you don't like the tax on it, stop smoking.
RAISE CIG TAXES!
We don't need to talk to live either. Should there be a tax on talking? Studies show that running off at the mouth can be very dangerous, even more so than cigarettes.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,931
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
These debates always make me laugh. Why would it matter if they taxed the hell out of cigs unless you were a cig addict? Fact is, you do not need cigs in any form or fashion to live. There is absolutely no need for it...none, not even a minor need. So if you don't like the tax...dont smoke!
Howard Stern (whom I can't stand) made a valuable point MANY years ago. If you don't like me, turn the channel. I have every time he comes on. The point is dead on here too...if you don't like the tax on it, stop smoking.
RAISE CIG TAXES!
Oh God Js, you're starting to sound like the dems. What's going on here?! lol

I don't smoke but tons of my friends do. I love how they're like, "Mmm. I should stop smoking, the tax is so high..." *puffs away on a cig* I gotta admit, I'm in the same boat as you though, Js. But if they start taxing my bacon, I'll be raising hell.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,488
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

I love bacon, but it isn't mentally and physically addictive.

Unless it's the Baconator! YUM.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,317
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I love bacon, but it isn't mentally and physically addictive.

Unless it's the Baconator! YUM.
How about a salad?
not martha — bacon cups
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
We don't need to talk to live either. Should there be a tax on talking? Studies show that running off at the mouth can be very dangerous, even more so than cigarettes.
Really? That's your argument? This is why I laugh. So tell you what, teach everyone to communicate in sign language, then you have an argument, until then, you can come up with an argument that holds a "tiny bit" of water other than your argument that is totally inept.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
Oh God Js, you're starting to sound like the dems. What's going on here?! lol

I don't smoke but tons of my friends do. I love how they're like, "Mmm. I should stop smoking, the tax is so high..." *puffs away on a cig* I gotta admit, I'm in the same boat as you though, Js. But if they start taxing my bacon, I'll be raising hell.
Well you know, I am a registered independant!
I still think if cigs are legal, they should legalize weed and tax the hell out of it.
(yup, i did it, I opened that can of worms.)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,931
Re: Cigarrette smuggling in Md.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Well you know, I am a registered independant!
I still think if cigs are legal, they should legalize weed and tax the hell out of it.
(yup, i did it, I opened that can of worms.)
Decriminalization of weed should've happened long, long ago. I hope I live to see it.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30948 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25