Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


The OFFICAL 2004 Election Thread

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #106
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
terrorists won't be crashing any planes or detonating any bombs in the South, Ohio, nor the rest of the midwest.
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that's a rediculous statement. Just take a look at the terror plots that have been uncovered throughout the entire country. Oh, wait a minute, the media doesn't cover that kind of news.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #107
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but that's a rediculous statement. Just take a look at the terror plots that have been uncovered throughout the entire country. Oh, wait a minute, the media doesn't cover that kind of news.
does that include Fox News? what plots are you talking about and what were their targets?
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #108
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Not all of these are in the south and midwest, but are examples of thwarted plots that have gotten little media coverage nontheless (and yes, Fox News is included):

Hoover Dam - al qaeda operatives found to be surveiling the structure for a possible attack

Las Vegas - international intelligence agencies found evidence of an attack on the MGM Grand and other casinos

Northern Virginia - al qaeda planned to bomb synagogues

World Bank in DC - specifically targeted

NY - al qaeda cell in Albany

NYC - al qaeda planned multiple attacks here. The one with the least coverage is the one in which they tried to buy a garment factory and smuggle explosives in on a truck and blow up the entire city.

Here is a list of cities that has seen arrests of terror suspects but where the details remain classified: Chicago, Tampa, Oxford Mississippi, Detroit, San Diego, Los Angeles, Denver, Tulsa Oklahoma.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #109
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
i had to wait 90 minutes to vote myself, anyone with a last name H-Z only had to wait 10 minutes though... what crap :P
I was in and out at the voting polls in about 5 minutes or so. I wonder why the lines of those with a last name beginning with h-z is so much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock-skins
Its really not that hard to register. I almost wish the draft was really on the table, just to see if that would push those other 87% to vote. To those young voters that did get out there and vote, you should get automatic "immunity" from any draft.
I'm all for more people, especially younger people, voting, but even partially wishing that the draft was a realistic possibility is just... I just can't see how anyone would have even a slimmer of wishful thinking of the draft being reintroduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock-skins
There will be some changes indeed. Barrack Obama has a great future ahead him. He was one of the few bright spots for us Dems last night. Whether the country has the grapefruits to elect an African-American candidate for President is another story. But I put him near the top of my list of candidates I want to see in 2008.
one day in the not too distant future, hopefully, an african-american will be a realistic candidate to become president, but I thought Obama wasn't born in the US? I might be mixing him up with another politician though..
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #110
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru


I'm all for more people, especially younger people, voting, but even partially wishing that the draft was a realistic possibility is just... I just can't see how anyone would have even a slimmer of wishful thinking of the draft being reintroduced.

When that became a rumor last spring thats what made me think, you know what, if I dont want this to happen, I better try and do somthing about it, and caused me to register to vote. Now since then the talk has died down quite a bit, but I think if it was a serious or realistic issue, alot of young voters would go to the polls.

I actually got really into politics after I registered, not just for draft issues, but I was glad I became so into it. I was proud when I voted yesterday.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:30 PM   #111
Impact Rookie
 
redrock-skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru





one day in the not too distant future, hopefully, an african-american will be a realistic candidate to become president, but I thought Obama wasn't born in the US? I might be mixing him up with another politician though..
He was born Aug. 4, 1961 in Hawaii.

Here's his website: http://www.obamaforillinois.com/

I do hope to see him on a ticket in the future.
redrock-skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #112
Thank You, Sean.
 
Gmanc711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Age: 28
Posts: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock-skins
He was born Aug. 4, 1961 in Hawaii.

Here's his website: http://www.obamaforillinois.com/

I do hope to see him on a ticket in the future.
Yeah I'm hearing alot of good things about this guy. I'd defintley consider voting for him depending on the issues at the time. I personally would love to see an african american run for president, it would be good for the country.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #113
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Not all of these are in the south and midwest, but are examples of thwarted plots that have gotten little media coverage nontheless (and yes, Fox News is included):

Here is a list of cities that has seen arrests of terror suspects but where the details remain classified: Chicago, Tampa, Oxford Mississippi, Detroit, San Diego, Los Angeles, Denver, Tulsa Oklahoma.
not that i'm doubting you cpayne, but where did you get this info? i'm practically glued to the news (i almost lost my life 9/11, was in the subway station underneath), and haven't heard any of this. i asked about Fox News in case you were about to say it was a liberal media plot. if this is true why wasn't it all over the news? more importantly, why wasn't Bush hammering us with this during his campaign?
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #114
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
you only hear about the failures... otherwise all you did was stop someone from maybe doing something they might have been thinking about... the only way you can be sure that they'd follow through is to wait and let them... that's part of the problem, you can never prove you did anything unless you wait till they strap themselves to bombs to arrest them.

I've heard of a couple places, but outside the local news you prbably won't hear much. Police checking out an apartment doesn't normally cause a panic or raise enough interest to make it newsworthy.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:45 AM   #115
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Yeah I'm hearing alot of good things about this guy. I'd defintley consider voting for him depending on the issues at the time. I personally would love to see an african american run for president, it would be good for the country.
unfortunately, this country is several generations away from voting a black candidate into office. this election in particular revealed much about our country.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:49 AM   #116
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
you only hear about the failures... otherwise all you did was stop someone from maybe doing something they might have been thinking about... the only way you can be sure that they'd follow through is to wait and let them... that's part of the problem, you can never prove you did anything unless you wait till they strap themselves to bombs to arrest them.

I've heard of a couple places, but outside the local news you prbably won't hear much. Police checking out an apartment doesn't normally cause a panic or raise enough interest to make it newsworthy.
i agree with that somewhat, but all these 'successful threat eliminations' would have been valuable ammunition for the Bush campaign, and i'm wondering why they didn't bash it over our collective heads?
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 AM   #117
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
unfortunately, this country is several generations away from voting a black candidate into office. this election in particular revealed much about our country.
I guess I strongly disagree with this statement. In case you have forgotten, both parties strongly recruited Colin Powell prior to 2000. It was only his own recalcitrance that prevented him from being nominated. Had he chosen to do so and with 20/20 hindsight, I don't doubt that he would have been elected over either Gore or Bush. Regardless, the number of african-americans in positions of authority has, at least on a symbolic level, increased significantly. As secretary of state, Powell is (I think) number 5 on the succession list to president.

If an otherwise qualified african american ran on a program that supported a market economy and that was socially conservative, I have no doubt he (or she) would be elected. If, however, an african-american ran on the traditional liberal agenda, I do not doubt he (or she) would lose.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #118
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Yeah, I think Powell would be elected in a heartbeat.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #119
Playmaker
 
illdefined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nyc
Age: 38
Posts: 2,631
i'm a big fan of Colin Powell too, and i resent the things the Bush administration has relegated him to. one of the architects of the first Iraq war, the only soldier in the administration, and he was ignored on attacking Iraq again. it's really hurt his career.

either way, i honestly don't think the majority of this country would elect him president because of his race. just the way i feel.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #120
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined
not that i'm doubting you cpayne, but where did you get this info? i'm practically glued to the news (i almost lost my life 9/11, was in the subway station underneath), and haven't heard any of this. i asked about Fox News in case you were about to say it was a liberal media plot. if this is true why wasn't it all over the news? more importantly, why wasn't Bush hammering us with this during his campaign?
Fahrenhype 9/11 gives that list.

In the past, particularly the Albany/Buffalo case, the media has gotten ahold of the details of surveillance techniques used in terrorism cases and broadcasted it to the world. This is not smart. You don't want to show your hand to the terrorists. If Bush had come out and listed counter terrorism successes, details would surface, thus making terrorists smarter.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30363 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25