Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Sorry your odds of 0% is not correct. The difference in atacks from dogs is that most people can fend off most other dogs but Pitts, Rotts, etc... by nature go for the kill. Why don't we ever hear of a Great Dane attacking and killing? I guess everyone who owns them are the good owners and keep their dogs under control.
It absolutely is 0%, given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It absolutely is 0%, given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.
I'd guess its a smaller dog that bites more often but there is a big difference between a scratch and having your face ripped off and/or killed. Like I said its only a few of the bigger dogs that we hear about in the news all the time. I also don't believe that all dogs try to kill when they bite. Alot of dogs will bite once and then stop while a pitt becomes more agressive. I have seen that sweet pitt bull attack and its like they become another dog and total loss of control.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Impact Rookie
 
BringBackJoeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Van Ness, Washington D.C.
Posts: 596
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

What a tragic story. It's horrifying to imagine any human being dying this way.

I count myself among the others who are animal lovers, and I've always thought that Rotties are beautiful dogs. However, I agree with others who have said or implied that it is not shocking to learn of the breed involved in this case. The fact is that some breeds have, by nature (and/or through generations of breeding), edgier temperments than others. If an owner is to be faulted in a situation like this, I think it should be for not appreciating the higher level of maintenance that attaches to choosing a breed like a Rottweiler, and the natural risk that will be present if that level of maintenance is not applied.
__________________
Super Trouper lights are gonna find me. Shining like the sun. Smiling having fun. Feeling like a number one.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackJoeT View Post
What a tragic story. It's horrifying to imagine any human being dying this way.

I count myself among the others who are animal lovers, and I've always thought that Rotties are beautiful dogs. However, I agree with others who have said or implied that it is not shocking to learn of the breed involved in this case. The fact is that some breeds have, by nature (and/or through generations of breeding), edgier temperments than others. If an owner is to be faulted in a situation like this, I think it should be for not appreciating the higher level of maintenance that attaches to choosing a breed like a Rottweiler, and the natural risk that will be present if that level of maintenance is not applied.
See I don't even think Rots and Pits attack anymore then other dogs its just when they do attack its usually not good.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,399
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
It absolutely is 0%, given what I said. When a dog attacks, it goes for the kill. It doesn't matter if it's a Poodle or a Rott. Poodles don't say, "well, I just want make them bleed, not kill them". All dogs intentions are the same when in that mode. The key is to never let them get into that mode. Yes, you can 100% stop them from getting there.

Take a guess as to which breed has the most bites in relation to it's population.
i got dogs, have had all types of dogs my entire life. certain dogs have a "kill" ability in them. my oldest right now, tyson, is a great dog, listens very well, has never bitten someone but, out of 6 dogs ive personnally owned hes the 5th, ive never had a dog that once he snaps he snaps to kill.

hes been in a few dog fights and when he is in a fight, he fights to kill. he was tearing this one dog up, he was latched to this dogs neck and thrashing is back and forth. i tried pulling him off but his flexed muscle made him weigh a ton. i had to punch him as hard as i could in his rib to get him off. the puncture wounds were deep and he missed a main artery by a fraction of an inch which would have killed the dog.

is tyson a sweet dog? yes. was he raised properly? yes. in all my years of having dogs, have i ever had a dog that could kill? not until tyson.

most of it is breeding (his bloodline more than breed like a rot or pit) and training but imo some dogs have a natural killer instinct that once they start in a fight, they will not stop until they kill.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,879
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i got dogs, have had all types of dogs my entire life. certain dogs have a "kill" ability in them. my oldest right now, tyson, is a great dog, listens very well, has never bitten someone but, out of 6 dogs ive personnally owned hes the 5th, ive never had a dog that once he snaps he snaps to kill.

hes been in a few dog fights and when he is in a fight, he fights to kill. he was tearing this one dog up, he was latched to this dogs neck and thrashing is back and forth. i tried pulling him off but his flexed muscle made him weigh a ton. i had to punch him as hard as i could in his rib to get him off. the puncture wounds were deep and he missed a main artery by a fraction of an inch which would have killed the dog.

is tyson a sweet dog? yes. was he raised properly? yes. in all my years of having dogs, have i ever had a dog that could kill? not until tyson.

most of it is breeding (his bloodline more than breed like a rot or pit) and training but imo some dogs have a natural killer instinct that once they start in a fight, they will not stop until they kill.
When i was a kid growing up in Great Falls, there was a guy a few houses down that had a bull terrier. It was mean as hell. When i was about 10 or 12, it got one of the neighbor kids on the pants leg and it wouldnt let go.

The guy that owned the dog came running out to try and help, and i kid you not he punched it square in the top of the head, which only stunned it a little. we ran inside and closed the door and could hear the dog banging against the door outside. Scared me to death. I can still remember that.

Heck, nowadays they'd throw that guy in jail....
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,741
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

I have had dogs my whole life. Currently I have a mutt and a boarder collie. Growing up we had Irish Setters, a Gordon Setter and Golden's. None of those dogs were aggressive or ever snapped. Part of it was their breed and part was how we raised them.

To say a poodle will snap as fast as a Rottie is silly the Rottie is the more aggressive dog. It is just a fact of life some dogs are more aggressive then others. For example there are many types of fish, who would you swim with a goldfish or a great white?

I think Rottie's are beautiful dogs and I have meet many that are very good but they do tend to act without warning. My buddy had a male Rottie he was very pleasant and got along with everyone. One day while watching a football game one of my friends sitting next to this Rottie whistled during the game with no warning the Rottie bite him on the head. It literally took ten minutes to coax the dog to release his jaws from the guys head. That dog gave no warning it was pissed and had never bitten in the past. There are just some breeds you can't trust completely.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #23
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'd guess its a smaller dog that bites more often but there is a big difference between a scratch and having your face ripped off and/or killed. Like I said its only a few of the bigger dogs that we hear about in the news all the time. I also don't believe that all dogs try to kill when they bite. Alot of dogs will bite once and then stop while a pitt becomes more agressive. I have seen that sweet pitt bull attack and its like they become another dog and total loss of control.
Labs. Why? Because of their popularity and the ignorance of the populace when it comes to raising a dog. The dumber the owner, the more dangerous the dog becomes. No matter the breed.

People buy these bully or powerful breeds with the idea that they are big, bad, and tough. The problem is then when these people encourage aggressive behavior. It's cute what a little Rott puppy snaps or growls at you when it's 10 lbs. Then, that 10 lb puppy grows up to be a 100 lb dog who has been taught to act aggressively. Very rarely does a dog just develop aggressive tendencies on its own.

From day 1 when I bring my Rotts home, I make sure that anyone who interacts with the dog does so appropriately. My sister in law had a boyfriend who found it funny to taunt my girl Rott into aggressive behavior (she was 8 weeks old at the time). I put him in his place real quick. Then I corrected the dog.

Show the dog how you want it to behave (this is a daily and never ending exercise!!!) and you won't have any problems. Keep your dog tied up with no mental or physical exercise, leave it unattended or with people who don't know how to act around dogs (small children are clueless) and yes, you can create a dangerous, aggressive dog. Do the opposite, and you'll have a great dog, no matter the breed.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have had dogs my whole life. Currently I have a mutt and a boarder collie. Growing up we had Irish Setters, a Gordon Setter and Golden's. None of those dogs were aggressive or ever snapped. Part of it was their breed and part was how we raised them.

To say a poodle will snap as fast as a Rottie is silly the Rottie is the more aggressive dog. It is just a fact of life some dogs are more aggressive then others. For example there are many types of fish, who would you swim with a goldfish or a great white?

I think Rottie's are beautiful dogs and I have meet many that are very good but they do tend to act without warning. My buddy had a male Rottie he was very pleasant and got along with everyone. One day while watching a football game one of my friends sitting next to this Rottie whistled during the game with no warning the Rottie bite him on the head. It literally took ten minutes to coax the dog to release his jaws from the guys head. That dog gave no warning it was pissed and had never bitten in the past. There are just some breeds you can't trust completely.
The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

The fish analogy is a bit off. Fish haven't been bred as pets and for human companionship. All domestic dog breeds have.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
When i was a kid growing up in Great Falls, there was a guy a few houses down that had a bull terrier. It was mean as hell. When i was about 10 or 12, it got one of the neighbor kids on the pants leg and it wouldnt let go.

The guy that owned the dog came running out to try and help, and i kid you not he punched it square in the top of the head, which only stunned it a little. we ran inside and closed the door and could hear the dog banging against the door outside. Scared me to death. I can still remember that.

Heck, nowadays they'd throw that guy in jail....
A sure fire way to get a dog to release is to spray it with water, if available. It shocks it into thinking that it's raining and releases so it can go find an umbrella.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Too bad it wasn't those scum bros Vick that got mauled.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #27
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

The fish analogy is a bit off. Fish haven't been bred as pets and for human companionship. All domestic dog breeds have.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.
Dude your totally wrong as I have seen dogs attack or snap out without any warning and I'm not talking Pits or Rots. Yes poodles may even be worse then alot of dogs but the damage they can do is nothing compared to pits and rots.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,741
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
The dog did give warning, the humans around him didn't pick up on it. Dogs give warning. To say otherwise is simply wrong 100% of the time. Some dogs give more warning than others, but they all give off signs of what's going on in their head. It could be shaking, breathing differences, growling, drooling, any number of things.

The fish analogy is a bit off. Fish haven't been bred as pets and for human companionship. All domestic dog breeds have.

Every dog has a born in sense to use their defensive tools when they think things are going bad. Poodles will bite just as quickly as a Rott given the chance.
Much like my buddy you have the Rottie owner complex that everyone thinks their Rottie is vicious and are scared of their Rottie, thus they feel they have to defend the breed at every turn. I love those dogs man! I love to have one but not with a two year old boy in my house.

And two things for the record the dog gave no warning I was watching him he was right in front of me and second if a dog is going to snap I will take a poodle bite over a Rottie bite every time.


I am not trying to fight with a fellow dog lover I am just telling you my life experiences with dogs and different breeds, if you believe different god bless you and have a great day.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Cpanye- you're obviously a big dog lover/owner, so I get your viewpoint. My closest friend has a 14 month old toddler that he is raising around two very sweet male labs (one chocolate, one golden). Totally incident free, and the dogs are great around the baby.

I don't have a dog, but I love them nonetheless. Great, great animals. All that said, I would definitely not raise a child around dogs. Sure, the chance of a well behaved dog attacking a child is slim to none. But you just never know what the kid may do to the dog during a moment when you may not be looking. This kid Jerry that I grew up with in my neighborhood had a gigantic half-moon shaped scar on the side of his face courtesy of a dog. Horrific story really. When he was 4 or 5 years old, he was sitting on the carpet eating some peanuts. The family dog (German shepherd) was hanging out with him. I guess Jerry harmlessly tried to feed the dog one of the peanuts, and accidentally stuck in the dog's nose. Of course a dog's nose is so sensitive, and this dog perceived it as an attack and latched on to Jerry's face. His father and brother beat the dog off of him, but he's permanently disfigured and they had to get rid of the dog.

Those kind of unpredictable situations are why I would never raise small children around dogs. Ever.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #30
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: 'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Nope, got me pegged wrong. I don't think that everyone thinks my Rotts are vicious and scared of them. I would admit to plenty of complexes, but that isn't one of them.

I wasn't there with you the day the dog bit your friend, so I won't comment on what I think happened, but I have my ideas. It serves no purpose to keep going back and forth.

I grew up with probably a dozen different dog breeds (all sporting and working dogs). My experience with all those breeds is a factor in my conclusions. You should get a Rottweiler. I was very apprehensive when I got my first one, too, but I've found that they truly are no different than the other dogs I have had. If you're a dog lover who truly knows how to properly care for a dog, you can't go wrong.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44875 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25