Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

I've ranted on many things on this site in my time here, but today an issue occured that reminded me of the many reasons why i hate walmart.

My hometown has been fighting for months against Walmart, specifically that the town does not want the traffic, congestion, and otherwise miserable hell that walmart inflicts on a town when it moves in.

Just a rural farming community, we have been protesting for months with signs, bumper stickers, and the like, enouraging people to not vote in the walmart. Obviously we would lose countless family stores and businesses, but our community has a great reputation and does not want the filth and trashiness that Walmarts inevitably bring.

This morning, i get the news from my cousin that Walmart has given up on trying to convince the townfolks, and are now going to speak to the local government directly. I know that they will try to buy them off with all the false promises of new jobs and blah blah blah, but i hope morals hold strong and this doesnt happen.

Walmart is bad, people, mmkay? And no this isnt a joke thread.



this is not my hometown but this gives you an idea of similar measures we have taken...we do have signs on some of the buildings here, though...and actually a few barns.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Lame. Where there's a need, a business will fill it. There's a reason that company does so well.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

I respect your argument, and I also agree. But part of that company doing so well was forcing mom and pop stores out of business. I understand that it's the nature of the beast, i'm just complaining because this could personally affect my family and friends at home. For as long as i can remember, we have been peaceful and fine without big businesses here.

We dont want a walmart...we get by just fine and the town stays nice. Besides, there is already one 25 miles away.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,364
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I respect your argument, and I also agree. But part of that company doing so well was forcing mom and pop stores out of business. I understand that it's the nature of the beast, i'm just complaining because this could personally affect my family and friends at home. For as long as i can remember, we have been peaceful and fine without big businesses here.

We dont want a walmart...we get by just fine and the town stays nice. Besides, there is already one 25 miles away.
Welcome to capitalism. If Walmart thinks they can make money by having a store within 10 miles instead of within 25, then more power to them.

They see your community as having a need for one-stop, low-cost retail services. Trust me, plenty of people will prove them right when they pack the parking lot on a Saturday.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Well this a unique thread idea.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Violence may not be the best option, but it's still an option. Look up chemical moltov cocktail. It's basically sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate. The good thing is that no one will see the bottle being lit, just throw and go. You're not going to win against them any other way. They'll just line the pockets of the local county board, then they'll import cheap sweat shop BS to undercut Americans. I saw the same thing happen in Ashland. Now they want to put one up on a civil war battle field.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,830
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

I agree with S10 if your man reason for not wanting Wal Mart is because smaller stores will go out of business then you are in the wrong. Those mom and pops can survive they just need to ensure they are priced right and they up their level of service. The mom and pops have the advantage of really giving A plus service where Wal Mart falls short simply becasue of the volume of folks going through that place.

NOW, if you don't want Wal Mart because of the let-knee of other evils they conjure up I can live with that. They are horrible employers and run over seas sweat shops.

I personally don't shop there.

BTW- This subject matter on here has become kind of a beaten dead horse.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,963
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

The proper thread title etiquette for this would have been "F...Walmart"

Learn the Warpath lingo
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Violence may not be the best option, but it's still an option. Look up chemical moltov cocktail. It's basically sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate. The good thing is that no one will see the bottle being lit, just throw and go. You're not going to win against them any other way. They'll just line the pockets of the local county board, then they'll import cheap sweat shop BS to undercut Americans. I saw the same thing happen in Ashland. Now they want to put one up on a civil war battle field.
Psssst...the FBI knows how to trace IP addresses...
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

You better off trying to start a 3/50 Project in your community rather than fight Walmart.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
The Starter
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 1,917
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I agree with S10 if your man reason for not wanting Wal Mart is because smaller stores will go out of business then you are in the wrong. Those mom and pops can survive they just need to ensure they are priced right and they up their level of service. The mom and pops have the advantage of really giving A plus service where Wal Mart falls short simply becasue of the volume of folks going through that place.

NOW, if you don't want Wal Mart because of the let-knee of other evils they conjure up I can live with that. They are horrible employers and run over seas sweat shops.

I personally don't shop there.

BTW- This subject matter on here has become kind of a beaten dead horse.
It's a little of both. I hate walmart #1 because of how they treat workers and all that crap, but i kind of overlooked it because it didnt affect anyone that i know.

#2 I want to see the mom and pop stores survive but you know they wont. That's personal to me. Walmart will drive them out, that's been their MO since day 1.

F walmart. I'd like a moderator to change the thread title.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The proper thread title etiquette for this would have been "F...Walmart"

Learn the Warpath lingo
Yea I thought this thread was going to be about a hard rock band called (Solid Snake) that was having a battle with Walmart over CD sales.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,830
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yea I tought this thread was going to be about a hard rock band called (Solid Snake) that was having a battle with Walmart over CD sales.

Do you mean White Snake?


White Snake brings the Heavy Metal.

Solid Snake brings the Metal Gear.



Easy to confuse I guess.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 2,906
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Psssst...the FBI knows how to trace IP addresses...
And . . . Oh you mean the same FBI that was asleep at the switch on 9-11?
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,830
Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Psssst...the FBI knows how to trace IP addresses...

TTE is already filed in the FBI logs under Chihuahua. Lots of barking no bite.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28245 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25