Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Parking Lot


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #61
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,143
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I was in Clearwater Beach a few weeks ago, man if those beaches end up ruined I'm going to be seriously bummed. Such a nice area.
I live five minutes from the beach, and at this time of year I'm there almost every weekend. Won't be the same if I can't go
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #62
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I can't even imagine how much damage it will cause if it takes that long to get it capped. Unbelievable.
One would think they'd have emergency capping system at the bottom of the sea. I guess simply sticking in a drill is cheaper.
saden1 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #63
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,181
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
One would think they'd have emergency capping system at the bottom of the sea. I guess simply sticking in a drill is cheaper.
You know they did, and the emergency system failed. I imagine the new regulations will call for a redundant fail safe. And that would be a good thing, especially when you are nearly a mile under water.


Side note: the USAF A-10 warthog was an ugly looking, but very effective tank killer. The reason it was so effective is because it was super redundant, it could lose half the airplane systems, and one of its two engines and still complete the mission. Clearly expensive, but worth it. Same would be true with any emergency system that is the only stop to a disaster of this magnitude.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #64
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
If what I read was correct they have two shut off valves. One failed which shuts off the oil automatically and the other they cannot reach because the structured collasped around the valve. Sounds like they need 4 of them so two will shut off automatically and the others as a back up.
Plus they need another tap into the reserve that can be activated in the event of a catastrophic failure at the main drill site.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #65
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Plus they need another tap into the reserve that can be activated in the event of a catastrophic failure at the main drill site.
They need to buy the oil we need. Those offshore drills only provide enough oil for one fifth of our consumption for 5 years. We can never get nature back. But hey who cares as long as we get some of that money. Can't let Russia and Arabs control the oil supply of the World. Only one problem though. If god wanted us to be an oil superpower he would have given us oil within our reach. Sometimes people must accept limitations and be humble. Certain situations we must do that. There is a reason why PRIDE is a sin.
__________________
BP Bush/Palin 2012
joethiesmanfan is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #66
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You do realize that other nations are drilling oil in the golf? So even if we stopped all drilling it would just be another nation drilling the oil. Either way nature is still at risk.

China, India, Cuba in Gulf oil partnership - May. 9, 2006
So if other nations jump off a bridge are we gonna jump off the bridge too?
__________________
BP Bush/Palin 2012
joethiesmanfan is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #67
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You ignored the point. If we stopped drilling the oil rigs will keep pumping and the threat is still there. So we loose out and then have to buy the oil from them even though our coast is still at the same risk. Now if you say stop everyone from drilling oil in the Gulf then thats a different subjet but I don't think Cuba will go for that.
Well Cuba might go for that? Have we asked them?
__________________
BP Bush/Palin 2012
joethiesmanfan is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #68
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 36
Posts: 16,270
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Yeah, BP should foot the entire cleanup bill. Politically it just keeps getting better for dems. This should give them cover in axing coast drilling....hopefully they'll use it.
So you LIKE being at the mercy of foreign countries who hate us for our oil? You LIKE paying more than you should?
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #69
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 36
Posts: 16,270
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Some idiots at BP made a catastrophic mistake and people immediately want to start playing the political blame game. Pathetic. I'm sure this democratic administration is doing just as much as any republican administration would.

This is an ecological and economic disaster for the gulf areas down there. The focus should be on wildlife, cleanup,and the families/jobs/businesses left in ruin as a result. The fact that people are politicizing this is further proof of how irreparably partisan and broken our government has become.

Get a grip.
I agree. It's no different than a storm happening naturally and all of a sudden, it's the President's fault because he hates black people.

The real focus should be on fixing the situation. Of course, when the politicians screw up...they should still be hammered for it, but lets not forget we need to do something about it.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #70
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

For those interested in facts:

http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL33705_20090827.pdf
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #71
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
So you LIKE being at the mercy of foreign countries who hate us for our oil? You LIKE paying more than you should?
Guilty on all counts...what can I say? I like making it rain, if Iran collects a few bills it ain't nuffin' but pocket change. Hootie-hoo!
saden1 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #72
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,347
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Guilty on all counts...what can I say? I like making it rain, if Iran collects a few bills it ain't nuffin' but pocket change. Hootie-hoo!
Brit Hume reported on Fox tonight that the percentage of oil spills from tankers is much higher than from oil rigs. I haven't verified this info.

Also, it appears MMS has a hand in this as well (NY Times actually came through on this one, likely because Bush was in ofice at the time).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/wa...pagewanted=all


Good info from WSJ on Acoustic Control that was lacking on this rig, oil company (didn't put it in for $ 500K) and MMS (didn't require it because regulators coked/sexed up w/oil co. folks) screwed the pooch on this.

Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

I think there's going to be plenty of blame to go around, but simply keeping the status quo on oil imports isn't the answer here. Better planning, better safety regulations and competent regulatory enforcement seem like the answer.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #73
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 37
Posts: 12,623
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I was in Clearwater Beach a few weeks ago, man if those beaches end up ruined I'm going to be seriously bummed. Such a nice area.
I'm getting married in Siesta Key in a month, just about 60 miles south of Clearwater. If there's oil all over the place, I'll be monumentally bummed. However I read that the east coast of Florida is actually at a bigger risk than the west coast. The oil will run into the gulf stream current before it can reach that part of the Florida gulf coast, and it will get pulled around the tip of the state, reaching the Northeast coast.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #74
The Starter
 
joethiesmanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,163
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I agree. It's no different than a storm happening naturally and all of a sudden, it's the President's fault because he hates black people.

The real focus should be on fixing the situation. Of course, when the politicians screw up...they should still be hammered for it, but lets not forget we need to do something about it.
You tryna down play katrina? yeah the president flying over in a plane while a bunch of black people waist deep in water. 4 days and no clean fresh water. These are American citizens. Where were the helicopters and navy? these fools on the news crying looting. I mean what was Walmart planning to do with that flooded merchandise. Dry it off and sell it? Of course I know some people don't know much about the murders of individuals escaping New Orleans. Shooting people on sight. No investigation, know any survivors? Get the real story. The storm wasn't bush's fault but the appointing of "joke" Brown a horse breeder as the head of FEMA showed he took the lives of American people as a joke. The emails showed how this dude was more worried about how he looked on TV. Of course this is like Katrina I mean what's 1500 lives they only from the 9th ward, anyway.
__________________
BP Bush/Palin 2012
joethiesmanfan is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #75
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 37
Posts: 12,623
Re: Guard watches coast for oil slick's first wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
You tryna down play katrina? yeah the president flying over in a plane while a bunch of black people waist deep in water. 4 days and no clean fresh water. These are American citizens. Where were the helicopters and navy? these fools on the news crying looting. I mean what was Walmart planning to do with that flooded merchandise. Dry it off and sell it? Of course I know some people don't know much about the murders of individuals escaping New Orleans. Shooting people on sight. No investigation, know any survivors? Get the real story. The storm wasn't bush's fault but the appointing of "joke" Brown a horse breeder as the head of FEMA showed he took the lives of American people as a joke. The emails showed how this dude was more worried about how he looked on TV. Of course this is like Katrina I mean what's 1500 lives they only from the 9th ward, anyway.
Oh my god, here we go. The Bush Admin's response was slower than it should have been, but also keep in mind it was a disaster of a nature the country had never seen. How exactly to react wasn't totally evident right away.

To maintain that the slow response was because a lot of the victims were black is SOOO stupid. Don't stoop to the level of that gigantic moron (and racist) Kanye West. You're better than that. There were 10's of thousands of white people suffering from the effects Katrina as well.

The Bush Administration could definitely have done a better job in their response to Katrina, but it had nothing to do with race. Does Bush also hate all the white and hispanic folks who were devastated by that disaster?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.42820 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25