Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #31
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,115
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

His religion doesn't appear to be an issue

Quote:
Law-enforcement officers were seen at a Bridgeport mosque Tuesday morning, but so far authorities have revealed no evidence that religious extremism motivated Mr. Shahzad, nor have acquaintances recalled him voicing extremist views.
He sounds like a messed up, confused, and frustrated guy pushed to his limits by financial ruin. Sad story if you ask me. Even more sad that he's going to be labeled by some due to his religion.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #32
Special Teams
 
Rainy Parade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
His religion doesn't appear to be an issue



He sounds like a messed up, confused, and frustrated guy pushed to his limits by financial ruin. Sad story if you ask me. Even more sad that he's going to be labeled by some due to his religion.

of course, he's got a funny name, was flying to pakistan and probably has kinda dark skin. that's all some people need to know.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #33
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
when did i claim it was gonna be a teabagger? i know the rightwing blogosphere is all abuzz so happy not cuz he's in custody but because he helps reinforce their stereotypes. good for you.
First of all, grow up and stop pretending to be like your heroes on the Comedy News Network with the immature, offensive name calling.

Pretty much all of the major media and a lot of politicians don't want to admit it's a Muslim. A lady on NBC actually said on the air she's disappointed that this wasn't another white Timothy McVeigh because it only makes people racist for thinking of Muslims when terrorist attacks occur. What kind of insane, twisted thinking is that? Wishing there are more McVeighs?

Wake up...they've been attacking us since the late 1970s. There's more than a trend, there's an all-out war to kill you and I. They won't let one of us go because we pretend we support them and stand up for their "rights"...they'll kill you and me without caring...because we're Americans. All of the "tolerance" and "understanding" in the world won't spare you.

This Administration's "terrorists have rights too, lets read them their rights and allow them to be silent and get a lawyer after trying to murder hundreds or thousands of Americans" views are going to get us all killed.

There are 3 legal exceptions to the Miranda Rights, one being PUBLIC SAFETY. Even if this terrorist was a legal citizen, we don't need to treat them like they are a bank robber...they're trying to kill Americans in mass. Get info out of them, care about their feelings later. This is now 2 attempted attacks in a row that the process was botched in favor of the terrorist.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,115
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
of course, he's got a funny name, was flying to pakistan and probably has kinda dark skin. that's all some people need to know.
Sadly that's true
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #35
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
His religion doesn't appear to be an issue



He sounds like a messed up, confused, and frustrated guy pushed to his limits by financial ruin. Sad story if you ask me. Even more sad that he's going to be labeled by some due to his religion.
ALL terrorists are messed up and confused. We don't need to hug him and feel sorry about his bad luck...we need to eliminate people like him getting into our country.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #36
Special Teams
 
Rainy Parade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
First of all, grow up and stop pretending to be like your heroes on the Comedy News Network with the immature, offensive name calling.

Pretty much all of the major media and a lot of politicians don't want to admit it's a Muslim. A lady on NBC actually said on the air she's disappointed that this wasn't another white Timothy McVeigh because it only makes people racist for thinking of Muslims when terrorist attacks occur. What kind of insane, twisted thinking is that? Wishing there are more McVeighs?

Wake up...they've been attacking us since the late 1970s. There's more than a trend, there's an all-out war to kill you and I. They won't let one of us go because we pretend we support them and stand up for their "rights"...they'll kill you and me without caring...because we're Americans. All of the "tolerance" and "understanding" in the world won't spare you.

This Administration's "terrorists have rights too, lets read them their rights and allow them to be silent and get a lawyer after trying to murder hundreds or thousands of Americans" views are going to get us all killed.

There are 3 legal exceptions to the Miranda Rights, one being PUBLIC SAFETY. Even if this terrorist was a legal citizen, we don't need to treat them like they are a bank robber...they're trying to kill Americans in mass. Get info out of them, care about their feelings later. This is now 2 attempted attacks in a row that the process was botched in favor of the terrorist.

umm, what? first of all... where's the name calling? if you mean "teabaggers" well that term has been used quite a bit all over the spectrum of mainstream media so that was not meant as name calling even though we can all giggle at the thought of glenn beck with someone's nuts in his mouth.

as for your portrayal of someone alledgedly wishing there more mcveighs, okay... as if YOUR heroes on Fox aren't stirring the pot calling guys like that patriots.


and, oh by the way, Obama has largely continued the Bush-Cheney doctrine of no real jury trials for terrorists. they are not coddling terrorists, no matter what Rush Limbaugh is telling you.

but go ahead and blame "the liberals" or claim that Obama is "sort on terrorism." whatever makes you feel better.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
umm, what? first of all... where's the name calling? if you mean "teabaggers" well that term has been used quite a bit all over the spectrum of mainstream media so that was not meant as name calling even though we can all giggle at the thought of glenn beck with someone's nuts in his mouth.

as for your portrayal of someone alledgedly wishing there more mcveighs, okay... as if YOUR heroes on Fox aren't stirring the pot calling guys like that patriots.


and, oh by the way, Obama has largely continued the Bush-Cheney doctrine of no real jury trials for terrorists. they are not coddling terrorists, no matter what Rush Limbaugh is telling you.

but go ahead and blame "the liberals" or claim that Obama is "sort on terrorism." whatever makes you feel better.
Wow. So much media parroting here...can't even respond to such drivel.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #38
Special Teams
 
Rainy Parade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Wow. So much media parroting here...can't even respond to such drivel.

oh, hi Pot.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #39
Special Teams
 
Rainy Parade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Thats just not correct as Bush look at these people as terrorist and Obama by his own word says they are criminals. In this case Obama is going to use the court which is correct because it happened here and he is a citizen. Those four guys Obam wanted to try in NY was a different story on how the two look at these guys differently and sorry that was going to be a jury trial.

but will it be? no.

and good job by Bush making these guys "enemy combatants" and talking about "war" because that's what they want. they want that attention, they need to feel like they are waging a war against us and giving them that status emboldens them.

do a little research on how every other country deals with them as criminals, tries them, and locks them away successfully. these worst of the worst can and would easily lose every trial cuz most of them are so dangerous and the terrorism laws are so strong. no reason to be afraid of our system. here we are allegedly defending our freedom and championing our great democracy and then not abiding by it ourselves.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,034
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
oh, hi Pot.
Yeah the last few posts leading up to this on both sides were definitely pot and kettle. (or the worst of our political dialogue.)

The guy was headed to Pakistan, and he admitted he had some taliban training (i believe) HOWEVER he also had been living the "american dream", had an MBA, wife, kids. Who knows what exactly drove him past the point, the foreclosure? the taliban?

Just glad the bomb fizzled and he was caught by an effective police response.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #41
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 13,034
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You just made my piont. Bush treated them as enemy combatants and Obama is treating them as criminals. You other post you said he was pretty much contiuen the Bush doctrine. Which one is the correct way I really could say. Remember though most of the guys Bush had to deal with where captured durn war and not on our grounds.

What scares me is that they have now failed three times, shoe bomber, underwear bomber, and now this guy. Each time if their devise would have worked they would have succeeded and its just a matter of time before our luck runs out.
Well, I imagine that a big part of the reason that their devices didn't work is because they have to be designed around our security regulations, so in that sense it's still a win for our system. For example, he used a fertilizer that was easier to get, because it was less explosive. Had he gotten the correct fertilizer mix, one would hope that the flag would have prevented the situation all together. You can't stop terrorists (home grown or otherwise) from trying, you just hope there are enough blockades in their way to stop them or minimize them.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #42
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Our biggest asset in combating terrorists is that they tend to be not so bright people. Someone with half a brain cannot be stopped with road blocks. They simply don't have the brain power to pull off an attack. The universe is nice like that.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #43
Special Teams
 
Rainy Parade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 269
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
You just made my piont. Bush treated them as enemy combatants and Obama is treating them as criminals. Your other post you said he was pretty much continued the Bush doctrine.

not really.
"criminals" and "enemy combatants" is pertains to word choice by Bush, Obama, you, and me, is only about semantics. those semantics make a slight difference in elevating their self-perception of their status as "warriors vs. america" but in actual practice, Obama is still sticking to "military tribunals" or "locked away with no charges/due process" just like Bush/Cheney.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #44
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,107
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
First of all, grow up and stop pretending to be like your heroes on the Comedy News Network with the immature, offensive name calling.

Pretty much all of the major media and a lot of politicians don't want to admit it's a Muslim. A lady on NBC actually said on the air she's disappointed that this wasn't another white Timothy McVeigh because it only makes people racist for thinking of Muslims when terrorist attacks occur. What kind of insane, twisted thinking is that? Wishing there are more McVeighs?

Wake up...they've been attacking us since the late 1970s. There's more than a trend, there's an all-out war to kill you and I. They won't let one of us go because we pretend we support them and stand up for their "rights"...they'll kill you and me without caring...because we're Americans. All of the "tolerance" and "understanding" in the world won't spare you.

This Administration's "terrorists have rights too, lets read them their rights and allow them to be silent and get a lawyer after trying to murder hundreds or thousands of Americans" views are going to get us all killed.

There are 3 legal exceptions to the Miranda Rights, one being PUBLIC SAFETY. Even if this terrorist was a legal citizen, we don't need to treat them like they are a bank robber...they're trying to kill Americans in mass. Get info out of them, care about their feelings later. This is now 2 attempted attacks in a row that the process was botched in favor of the terrorist.
Are you talking about Contessa Brewer, because what she said was:

There was part of me that was hoping this was not going to be anybody with ties to any kind of Islamic country because there are a lot of people who want to use this terrorist intent to justify writing off people who believe in a certain way, or come from certain countries or whose skin color is a certain way, Brewer said Tuesday during a radio interview with host Stephanie Miller. I mean, they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry.

So, there was part of me really hoping this would not be the case, that here would be somebody who is not that defined, she continued. I mean, hes accused, hes arrested, you know, I dont want to convict him before its time to do so. Hes the guy authorities say is involved. But that being said, I mean, we know even in recent history you have the Haitari militia from Michigan who have plans to, lets face it, create terror.

Read more: Rush Limbaugh, Contessa Brewer terror comments ripped - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Maybe you want to call that insane, twisted thinking but then what do you call this?

Of course, hes a Democrat. Who knows how many times he voted and where, Limbaugh said. I would love if this guy were a member of ACORN.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #45
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: The "almost" Times Square Bomb

Joana Goldberg:

Quote:
When the Times Square story first broke there was a part of me that said, Man, I hope its not some white militia nutjob. When I saw the news this morning that it was a Pakistani, the same small part of me was relieved. I dont want to speak for many conservatives on this, but I know Im speaking for more than just myself.

And, I will simply assert that I believe lots of liberals had something very close to the opposite series of reactions (heres one small example of what Im talking about). If this had been some Tim McVeigh type, Frank Rich would know exactly what he was going to write for his Sunday column, and he would be excited about writing it. I dont want to say hed be happy about it (and he certainly wouldnt be happy about the murder victims if the bomb went off). But he would certainly be smug and righteous and full of a certain emotion that looks a lot like the glee one feels when you get to say I told you so.

Instead, that state of mind no doubt describes quite a few conservatives this morning.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35374 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25