Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Amazing Story of Perseverance

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Awesome story it sounds like it will benefit many people for years to come.

I dont want to take away from it either, but does this bother anyone else:

Their big break came over the summer when Sen. Barbara Mikulski snared them $70,000 of federal money. Suddenly, with real cash, paper work and taxes to contend with, Berdan knew they needed legal help. They scored what ended up to be nearly $200,000 of legal advice over the years, pro bono, from the University of Maryland's Law Clinic.


Really 200k in legal and accounting work to do something good? It sounds like it all came from around last summer too, less then a years worth of work. Thank God it was pro bono. I wonder how many other attempts have been haltered due to the barriers of our tax system?
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, I was hoping this would lead to a discussion of how govt., private enterprise and individual effort can create societal benefits. But I guess discussing the thread title is more interesting.
Yes from reading the article it sounds like despite the goverment they were able to open this home. I believe that it is only private enterprise and individual effort that can turn communities around. I urge all people to volunteer for one thing or the other. I love helping children and there is no greater high then seeing a child smile. One of my past groups I was with, did christmas for needy children or you could say children with worthless parents. I played Santa even though I'm not very fat and the memories that it brought I'll never forget. There was this one girl who followed me/santa around all day and became my little helper. This was back around 1995 and just about everyday I wonder what happened to this sweet little girl. Her mother was so bad she did not even show up to pick up her daughter and someone had to drive her home. But I know for that one day she was treated like the special person and I hope maybe that we helped her in some way.Thats why I wonder all the time about what ever became of her life. Is she even still alive. Sorry but goverment cannot do these things it takes people so thats why alot of times I'm against the goverment and there waistfull programs. Until we can get parents and neighbor hoods to take control there is no goverment program that can fix broken communities.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #18
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
He never does that fo me.
for me

Anyway, I have a full-time job. There aren't enough hours in the day to fix all your spelling mistakes. Half of which I think you're just making up anyway because i can't imagine any literate adult is that bad a speller. You're, without question, the worst speller I've ever come across over the age of 2. And it just astounds me how awful a speller you are.

Good for a laugh every now and then though
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #19
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,058
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

This is a great story...you hardly hear of stories like this. For the past year my mother has been doing community work with disadvantaged children and boy are they disadvantaged. The state of Washington has a program that allows NGOs along with a Public School to apply for grants so they can fund their after school programs but apparently a lot of school don't care to or bother. Anywho, my mother had to literally threaten the school/district with litigation before the principle of the school would agree to apply for the grant along with the NGO she volunteers at. She's one tough lady and she has aspiration to run for school district board of director.

Old people with free time, they're a dangerous bunch.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yes from reading the article it sounds like despite the goverment they were able to open this home. I believe that it is only private enterprise and individual effort that can turn communities around. I urge all people to volunteer for one thing or the other. I love helping children and there is no greater high then seeing a child smile. One of my past groups I was with, did christmas for needy children or you could say children with worthless parents. I played Santa even though I'm not very fat and the memories that it brought I'll never forget. There was this one girl who followed me/santa around all day and became my little helper. This was back around 1995 and just about everyday I wonder what happened to this sweet little girl. Her mother was so bad she did not even show up to pick up her daughter and someone had to drive her home. But I know for that one day she was treated like the special person and I hope maybe that helped her in some way.
Good stuff. I do volunteer work for kids every Thanksgiving/Christmas and other times during the year.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Good stuff. I do volunteer work for kids every Thanksgiving/Christmas and other times during the year.
I guess the reason I like helping children is because they are the innocent in all the crap that happens. I cannot remember do you have children?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,975
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

No kids yet
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #23
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,837
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yes from reading the article it sounds like despite the goverment they were able to open this home. I believe that it is only private enterprise and individual effort that can turn communities around. I urge all people to volunteer for one thing or the other. I love helping children and there is no greater high then seeing a child smile. One of my past groups I was with, did christmas for needy children or you could say children with worthless parents. I played Santa even though I'm not very fat and the memories that it brought I'll never forget. There was this one girl who followed me/santa around all day and became my little helper. This was back around 1995 and just about everyday I wonder what happened to this sweet little girl. Her mother was so bad she did not even show up to pick up her daughter and someone had to drive her home. But I know for that one day she was treated like the special person and I hope maybe that we helped her in some way.Thats why I wonder all the time about what ever became of her life. Is she even still alive. Sorry but goverment cannot do these things it takes people so thats why alot of times I'm against the goverment and there waistfull programs. Until we can get parents and neighbor hoods to take control there is no goverment program that can fix broken communities.
Even though we mainly don't see eye to eye and you considered me the king of shit I still like you for post like this. Thanks for all your help with children!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Even though we mainly don't see eye to eye and you considered me the king of shit I still like you for post like this. Thanks for all your help with children!
I don't want any thanks. I share those in hopes that someone might read it and decide to volunteer to help people out. Here is link to a great organization that has charters thoughout the US. I belong to a local chapter and we focus on hearing and speach impaired children. If anyone is intrested look for a charter in your area. Best part about our charter is 100% of all donations go to the cause.

http://www.sertoma.org/Page.aspx?pid=190

The Jaycees is also another great organization for younger people. I was a member for 8 yrs before I aged out. They have chapters in about every city and also have some pretty good parties.
About the Jaycees

I actually have no problem with you or your post just don't attack me personally if we don't agree. I actually like the nick name "king of shit" that would make a great name for a boat if the person owned a porta poty business.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,837
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I don't want any thanks. I share those in hopes that someone might read it and decide to volunteer to help people out. Here is link to a great organization that has charters thoughout the US. I belong to a local chapter and we focus on hearing and speach impaired children. If anyone is intrested look for a charter in your area. Best part about our charter is 100% of all donations go to the cause.

http://www.sertoma.org/Page.aspx?pid=190

The Jaycees is also another great organization for younger people. I was a member for 8 yrs before I aged out. They have chapters in about every city and also have some pretty good parties.
About the Jaycees

I actually have no problem with you or your post just don't attack me personally if we don't agree. I actually like the nick name "king of shit" that would make a great name for a boat if the person owned a porta poty business.

I am fairly show I have never personally attacked you and by personal attack I mean name calling not pointing out when you are wrong or disagreeing with you.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I am fairly show I have never personally attacked you and by personal attack I mean name calling not pointing out when you are wrong or disagreeing with you.
I thought that was why I called you the king of shit.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,851
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Yes from reading the article it sounds like despite the goverment they were able to open this home. I believe that it is only private enterprise and individual effort that can turn communities around. I urge all people to volunteer for one thing or the other. I love helping children and there is no greater high then seeing a child smile. One of my past groups I was with, did christmas for needy children or you could say children with worthless parents. I played Santa even though I'm not very fat and the memories that it brought I'll never forget. There was this one girl who followed me/santa around all day and became my little helper. This was back around 1995 and just about everyday I wonder what happened to this sweet little girl. Her mother was so bad she did not even show up to pick up her daughter and someone had to drive her home. But I know for that one day she was treated like the special person and I hope maybe that we helped her in some way.Thats why I wonder all the time about what ever became of her life. Is she even still alive. Sorry but goverment cannot do these things it takes people so thats why alot of times I'm against the goverment and there waistfull programs. Until we can get parents and neighbor hoods to take control there is no goverment program that can fix broken communities.
I think you missed the point in the story where the kids big break came from getting 70K in federal funds. Yes. Much was contributed in terms of services from individuals and small companies, but government programs working with and facilitating the help of volunteers can make a huge difference.

The pro-bono legal services were undoubtedly part of the State university's system to provide practical education for attorneys. Thus, by creating and funding the public law school, the government created an enterprise that allows individuals to gain an education while, at the same, time, providing a more direct benefit to the community.

I think it is safe to say that, even with the contributions of private individuals, this project would not have gotten done without the assistance of government programs.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #28
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,882
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
...

I think it is safe to say that, even with the contributions of private individuals, this project would not have gotten done without the assistance of government programs.
Amazing that no evil bureaucrat stopped it at the last minute. (wait, has it actually opened yet?)
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #29
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I think you missed the point in the story where the kids big break came from getting 70K in federal funds. Yes. Much was contributed in terms of services from individuals and small companies, but government programs working with and facilitating the help of volunteers can make a huge difference.

The pro-bono legal services were undoubtedly part of the State university's system to provide practical education for attorneys. Thus, by creating and funding the public law school, the government created an enterprise that allows individuals to gain an education while, at the same, time, providing a more direct benefit to the community.

I think it is safe to say that, even with the contributions of private individuals, this project would not have gotten done without the assistance of government programs.
That federal money came from the citizens and I'd bet that it took over 100,000 grand for the feds to produce the 70 grand. So for the feds to hand out the money 30% or so was waisted in Washington. Not good use of funds. If the fed was a charity it would get a poor scoring because of this.

With what I put in bold I totally disagree with. There are 100's of thousands of organizations and places like this that get up and running without goverment assistance. I also bet that most of that 200,000 in legal services was to help deal with federal, state, and city ordinancesand red tape.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #30
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,851
Re: Amazing Story of Perseverance

First,

To say that govt. assistance is never a good thing (as you seem to be saying) or that govt. is always an obstacle is just wrong. My point is that, in this case, the govt helped facilitate the volunteer efforts of many. Yes. Regulation exists, so do roads, and a comfort that our food is safe. You think any of that happens without govt. activity?

Generally, I agree that there is waste in govt. Duh. You want "the trains to run on time"? Go talk to the Nazis or some other form of totalitarian govt. In a democratic society, one of the costs for "fairness" is the lack of efficiency. It is a constant trade off.

Here, the project would not have happened but for the combined efforts of govt., officials (this started as a school project remember?), private companies, and the involvment of committed individuals. Is it so hard to acknowledge that govt. can actually serve a good purpose and beneficial purpose?
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33115 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25