Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

AT&T Hangs Up on Unlimited Wireless Data Plans - DailyFinance

Quote:
Under the revised service plan for new customers coming aboard Monday, new iPad owners will no longer be offered the $29.99 unlimited service plan. That will change to a $25 per month 2 gigabyte plan. Existing iPad owners can retain their unlimited deal or switch over to the new plan.

New smartphone customers will no longer have the option of an unlimited data plan for $30 monthly. In its place, AT&T will be rolling out two options.

AT&T's DataPlus plan users will receive 200 megabytes of data for $15 a month. If they exceed that allotment, they will receive an additional 200 megabytes for another $15 -- basically, $30 for 400 megabytes under the new service vs. $30 for unlimited under the old.

The DataPro plan offers 2 gigabytes (or 2,000 megabytes) for $25 per month. If they exceed that level, new customers will receive an additional 1 gigabyte for $10.


Whoever decided to go ahead and buy the 1st iPad lucked into getting to keep their plan. Australian and European internet users tend to hate throughput caps, looks like cell/data companies finally decided to go ahead and start screwing us because they know that they can (20/mo for Unlimited TEXTING?).
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Special Teams
 
CooleyAsCanBe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fairfax, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 399
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

This is really going to stick it to the iPad users. I will end up saving $5 a month on my iPhone by changing from my unlimited $30 plan to the $25 2GB plan. I checked my usage online and I've never broken 1GB per month. I still plan to upgrade to the new iPhone this month.
__________________
The TRUE QB Challenge Champion
CooleyAsCanBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

What is the ramification if you go over the limit? It takes one time for you to go over for these SOBs to stick you with a $100 over-usage bill.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

The good thing, if you can call it that, is that they will notify you that you're close to going over
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,148
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

I will never change off an unlimited data plan until they force me off of mine.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I will never change off an unlimited data plan until they force me off of mine.
yeah.. I think that the reason that they're grandfathering people in is that most of the time if they change service or price you can get out of the contract no problem
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,438
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

This will be the wave of the future. No more unlimited data plans, although Sprint touts it for their 4G access, which currently serves about 12 people (at least their 4G network. They cap 3G access, but tout 4G as unlimited). Verizon has already made mention that once they open up to 4G/LTE, they will get rid of their "unlimited/5GB" data plans for tiered data plans.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
This will be the wave of the future. No more unlimited data plans, although Sprint touts it for their 4G access, which currently serves about 12 people (at least their 4G network. They cap 3G access, but tout 4G as unlimited). Verizon has already made mention that once they open up to 4G/LTE, they will get rid of their "unlimited/5GB" data plans for tiered data plans.
Wave of the future? More like the quickest way to lose customers and get your ass handed to you by a newcomer (looking at google). They had hourly internet access back in the early/mid 90's and most of those companies aren't around. AT&T is doing this cause their network is getting thrashed.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Wave of the future? More like the quickest way to lose customers and get your ass handed to you by a newcomer (looking at google). They had hourly internet access back in the early/mid 90's and most of those companies aren't around. AT&T is doing this cause their network is getting thrashed.
It honestly is the future unless every other carrier is willing to stand up to it.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Exactly how is your data use calculated? I have Verizon and pay $15 a month on my Envy touch for data use, I think it is 20 mb, I don't even know never gone over. I basically only use my phone's internet service to check scores when I am stuck at family functions and can't see a big game.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Exactly how is your data use calculated? I have Verizon and pay $15 a month on my Envy touch for data use, I think it is 20 mb, I don't even know never gone over. I basically only use my phone's internet service to check scores when I am stuck at family functions and can't see a big game.
total throughput
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
total throughput

Clear as mud, thank you!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,438
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Wave of the future? More like the quickest way to lose customers and get your ass handed to you by a newcomer (looking at google). They had hourly internet access back in the early/mid 90's and most of those companies aren't around. AT&T is doing this cause their network is getting thrashed.
If Sprint and T-Mobile can keep unlimited data plans, they are going to look more and more reasonable to Verizon/AT&T users, especially if 4G replaces landline style internet in home (Cable/DSL/FiOS). I have a company issued Blackberry on Sprint that's been great, so I've scaled back my personal phones to basic voice/text plans with no data through Verizon.

I wholehearted agree for the reason why AT&T is doing it, but with 2 million iPads sold, I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon. If people are willing to pay for it, and they will be, tiered data plans will be the model. In the end, the consumer will feel like they are getting a deal ($15 vs $30 for limited usage) and the Telcos will be reaping the benefits because those who didn't have data before will subscribe now.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,438
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Exactly how is your data use calculated?
They are able to track the transmissions between your phone and their servers. Total throughput means they see the 1s and 0s of your connection to their server and calculate it that way. You should be able to log onto your account and see your data usage.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: AT&T 86'ing Unlimited Data on mobile and iPad plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
If Sprint and T-Mobile can keep unlimited data plans, they are going to look more and more reasonable to Verizon/AT&T users, especially if 4G replaces landline style internet in home (Cable/DSL/FiOS). I have a company issued Blackberry on Sprint that's been great, so I've scaled back my personal phones to basic voice/text plans with no data through Verizon.

I wholehearted agree for the reason why AT&T is doing it, but with 2 million iPads sold, I don't see the trend stopping anytime soon. If people are willing to pay for it, and they will be, tiered data plans will be the model. In the end, the consumer will feel like they are getting a deal ($15 vs $30 for limited usage) and the Telcos will be reaping the benefits because those who didn't have data before will subscribe now.
It all depends how people use their phones. Having tierd data plans is OK but getting rid of unlimited data plans all together is mistake. The more data centric the world becomes (i.e google maps) the more need for higher limits. AT&T would be wise to spend $$ to upgrade their network instead of these plan gimmicks.

BTW Cable companies are trying to do this too. Thankfuly they're not getting the go-ahead they need from the FCC.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27625 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25