Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


The New Generation???

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,952
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I can tell you don't have kids.
What can I say? I believe in the power of kicking out a bad seed before it ruins the soil. I'm sure the wife isn't going to have it. Oh and military school is always an option too.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #17
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,758
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I can tell you don't have kids.
If at 24 my son says to me, while living at home, "Dad I turned down a well paying job b/c I didn't think it was going anywhere". He and I would have very long talk about his rent-free status in my home. It is one thing to be supportive in hard times, it is another to encourage a sense of entitlement.

The company who offerred the guy the job had initially turned down his request for a management training position but thought enough of him to call him back in for the lesser opening. So take the job, work your ass off and reapply in a couple years for the managemnt training.

When opportunity knocks, answer the f'ing door.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,742
Re: The New Generation???

I had a kid in my last office get hired at an entry level position I say it was probably in the mid- 30 range, he had gone to graduate school right after college so he had no work experience.

He asked my boos every other month for raise, after he had done nothing to deserve it. Eventually my boss asked him to quit or stay but he would never promote him. The kid left two weeks later, we all laughed at his sense of entitlement that he had for himself.

He was so bad that if you made a mistake in my office you didn't f up you pulled a Josh.

Also if you were to Simpsonize him into a cartoon you would just have a drawing of Millhouse. They looked exactly a like.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,090
Re: The New Generation???

I don't know if he's a representative of my generation. I'm fresh out of college, I had a job lined up before my last semester (making considerably more than he did) and it seems like he and I probably had similar grades as well. I'm a little surprised that his job hunt is starting after graduation, that makes me think Colgate doesn't do a great job at career services...that, or the kid is lazy.

Please don't judge people my age on this guy, my wife and I both just graduated from college last may, we make a lot more than he was offered, pay down my (considerable) student loans, got married and we were able to purchase a home because we work hard. We're not all entitled.

I will say that I know a few people like him, but most of my friends are very successful and driven, not entitled.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Seriously,

40K, living at home for maybe a year-2, with no attachments (apparently) and he would be right on Schneed's path for life! - and I mean that in a good way.
Yeah, you too can make $40K out of college and within three years become an internet asshole!

JK. But seriously, that's how I rolled. I came out of college (a pretty good one, but not very top teir) with an average GPA, and it was a recession. I took an entry level finance job for $36K (probably now equates to $42K given inflation). Lived at home with the 'rents for 18 months while I paid down student loans and got an MBA at night. Started getting promoted and got things rolling.

You got to come in and be willing to put in the time and effort. Start somewhere, and prove to people that you can do more. But you have to show you can handle increased responsibility before they'll give it to you, that's the way to earn more $.

Damn kids. My mom and dad handed me a real nice upbringing and 85% of a private school college education. But the world won't hand me anything like they did, I've got to earn it from the world. Mom and dad may have handed you this Colgate education, bub, but don't expect the world to do the same.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
If at 24 my son says to me, while living at home, "Dad I turned down a well paying job b/c I didn't think it was going anywhere". He and I would have very long talk about his rent-free status in my home. It is one thing to be supportive in hard times, it is another to encourage a sense of entitlement.

The company who offerred the guy the job had initially turned down his request for a management training position but thought enough of him to call him back in for the lesser opening. So take the job, work your ass off and reapply in a couple years for the managemnt training.

When opportunity knocks, answer the f'ing door.
great line.
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I don't know if he's a representative of my generation. I'm fresh out of college, I had a job lined up before my last semester (making considerably more than he did) and it seems like he and I probably had similar grades as well. I'm a little surprised that his job hunt is starting after graduation, that makes me think Colgate doesn't do a great job at career services...that, or the kid is lazy.

Please don't judge people my age on this guy, my wife and I both just graduated from college last may, we make a lot more than he was offered, pay down my (considerable) student loans, got married and we were able to purchase a home because we work hard. We're not all entitled.

I will say that I know a few people like him, but most of my friends are very successful and driven, not entitled.
I think you're right, it's unfair to judge a full generation based on this. But to me, I wouldn't judge the kids anyway, I'd judge their parents.

Parents need to be mindful of instilling work ethic and appreciation in their kids. If you're going to give your kid a car for his 16th birthday, make sure he understands most of the parents in this nation can't do that. Make sure he understands that if he wants to live in a nice house like he grew up in, he needs to be as successful as his mother and father are/were. The second the kid under-appreciates those things, yank the rug from underneath them and give them a rude awakening.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,518
Re: The New Generation???

schneed ,your very full of your-self when it comes to parenting. remember what they say about the best laid plans...i really hope it all works out. i did the same things with my kids. for one it worked
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,317
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
schneed ,your very full of your-self when it comes to parenting. remember what they say about the best laid plans...i really hope it all works out. i did the same things with my kids. for one it worked
I'm full of myself, period.

Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #25
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
If at 24 my son says to me, while living at home, "Dad I turned down a well paying job b/c I didn't think it was going anywhere". He and I would have very long talk about his rent-free status in my home. It is one thing to be supportive in hard times, it is another to encourage a sense of entitlement.

The company who offerred the guy the job had initially turned down his request for a management training position but thought enough of him to call him back in for the lesser opening. So take the job, work your ass off and reapply in a couple years for the managemnt training.

When opportunity knocks, answer the f'ing door.
Exactly. My parents have always said they'll help my brother and I if we help ourselves. There were times in the past during and right after college where I was hurting for money, but I was always willing to work my tail off doing whatever to make ends meet. They weren't bankrolling my entire life, but they certainly helped with bills/rent here and there- as long as I was working hard both in school and at a job.

My parents have money, but my Dad was raised dirt poor as the oldest of 7 kids, and paid his own way through college and law school, and wasn't ever given a penny after the age of 18 by his parents. If he ever caught any whiff of entitlement from my brother and I while growing up, he nipped it in the bud real fast.

The little shitburger in this article needs to get his head out of the clouds and learn what it means to WORK for a living.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
? I didn't grow up with that sense of entitlement. I know my Dad worked his behind off to make a way for my Mom and his kids. I know I have worked my behind off for my kids. Now do my kids have a sense of entitlement, maybe, but over the summer I make them work with me a couple hours a week, they "earn" a paycheck, and they are learning that if they want a video game, or that extra smoothie from McD's over the summer, they better be giving me a good effort on the mornings they are at work with me. If a child grows up with a sense of entitlement, in my opinion, it comes in a good part from a lack of training from the parents.
I didn't either, but I don't think that either of us are the norm. It's probably not the norm for the folks on this board that are my age (just turned 28) either (think about the demographics of the posters here). But, going to college and just growing up in general with my generation have made me think the way I do about "us".

I grew up pretty poor. My parents never made much money at all. I figured out from an early age that I didn't want to be poor. I worked hard in school and am doing very well for myself, all things considered. My sister grew up in the same environment, but took a woe-is-me attitude. She always played the sympathy card and sought handouts. She just turned 24, has had about 20 jobs over the past two years (because nothing pays well enough for her) yet currently unemployed, is expecting her second child, and living off of my 80+ year old grandparents.

It's just my opinion based off anecdotal evidence that I've witnessed in society.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,442
Re: The New Generation???

I'm 23, right out of college. I'm looking for a job that will last me from now through the time I finish my masters. (Which I'm starting next year)

At this point I will do ANYTHING. 40k... I would sell my soul for 40k. A full time job, for 40k annually sounds like a dream. I went through college and only have $2k of student loans so basically I have nothing I have to pay towards except moving out. I swear, kids my days aren't this dude. Most I know are dying to work anywhere with full time hours, a salary and a little benefits. Oh did I mention I'm uninsured too?

I've been searching for a job from before I ever put on that cap and gown (in May) till now. I've been on numerous interviews (At least 10+ since June) and nothing has materialized. A good friend of mine, graduated from MD, interned with the Redskins (as a journalist) for the past season. And couldn't get a job for over 4 months.

If you graduated last year, this year, or probably next year.. You're basically screwed.

But seriously. I am so desperate for a full-time job, I've thought about asking you guys where I should start. I'm willing to take anything that pays over 25k. Ideally, I'd like to start around 30k. Anything having to do with law or social work type things I'm down for.

I'm looked for government jobs but they want people with office/clerical experience, which I have none of. I only have 4 years of customer service experience. Damn... I guess I am screwed.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #28
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: The New Generation???

I guess the positive spin to this article is that the job was given to someone who actually appreciates the opportunity. Hopefully.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #29
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,742
Re: The New Generation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I'm 23, right out of college. I'm looking for a job that will last me from now through the time I finish my masters. (Which I'm starting next year)

At this point I will do ANYTHING. 40k... I would sell my soul for 40k. A full time job, for 40k annually sounds like a dream. I went through college and only have $2k of student loans so basically I have nothing I have to pay towards except moving out. I swear, kids my days aren't this dude. Most I know are dying to work anywhere with full time hours, a salary and a little benefits. Oh did I mention I'm uninsured too?

I've been searching for a job from before I ever put on that cap and gown (in May) till now. I've been on numerous interviews (At least 10+ since June) and nothing has materialized. A good friend of mine, graduated from MD, interned with the Redskins (as a journalist) for the past season. And couldn't get a job for over 4 months.

If you graduated last year, this year, or probably next year.. You're basically screwed.

But seriously. I am so desperate for a full-time job, I've thought about asking you guys where I should start. I'm willing to take anything that pays over 25k. Ideally, I'd like to start around 30k. Anything having to do with law or social work type things I'm down for.

I'm looked for government jobs but they want people with office/clerical experience, which I have none of. I only have 4 years of customer service experience. Damn... I guess I am screwed.
Ever go to Manpower?

Manpower Inc. – Employment services industry leader offering permanent, temporary, contract recruitment; employee assessment and selection; training; outplacement; outsourcing and consulting services.

They are temp jobs but the usually in the DC area theyend up being permanent jobs.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: The New Generation???

$40K per year ain't the same as it used to be.

I'm not defending this kid -- he should take the job and continue looking -- but $40K/year = $20/hour and that's not much in this economy.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.47628 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25