Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #91
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I'm just not seeing where he said he chose not to pay

Perhaps the fact that he forgot to pay is a choice in itself?

This story is spicy enough...I don't get why people keep throwing in more peppers.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #92
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I understand the compassion element that matty and hog1 are saying, .
Are you kidding me? How am I not on that list? I'm offended.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #93
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,133
He does say he forgot, so my words about choosing were wrong, except if you use Sadens interpretation. However, in his interview with Keith Obermann he also said he knew of several other houses where the various fire departments had refused. So he did know that it could be a consequence. He also said that it had happened once before and a former official had waived the fee, but the new person had a policy not too. I forget things at work way too often, and I have missed bills and made other dumb moves. But in the end, you deal with the consequences. He also said he did have insurance and that they were covering up to the limits of what he paid for.

Just thinking about it further, could the insurance company deny his claim based on his failure to pay the fee?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #94
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,061
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Why is there a fee to begin with?
Seriously?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #95
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,061
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

To me it comes down to this. It costs money to run a fire department. Putting out the fire in this case, to me, presents a pretty damn clear endangerment to the funding of the fire department. Blame a dumb policy that allows something like this to happen. Don't blame the fire-fighters and their bosses. They have to keep open for business for the greater good. Putting out fires for free works against that. It just does. At the end of the the day they chose not to do something that might end up costing them way more than just one fire. I can't fault them for that. Is it more decent to put the fire out and watch everyone else stop paying the fees and therefore have to curtail the service? Not to me it isn't. They had to choose between two crappy choices.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #96
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 85,861
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
He does say he forgot, so my words about choosing were wrong, except if you use Sadens interpretation. However, in his interview with Keith Obermann he also said he knew of several other houses where the various fire departments had refused. So he did know that it could be a consequence. He also said that it had happened once before and a former official had waived the fee, but the new person had a policy not too. I forget things at work way too often, and I have missed bills and made other dumb moves. But in the end, you deal with the consequences. He also said he did have insurance and that they were covering up to the limits of what he paid for.

Just thinking about it further, could the insurance company deny his claim based on his failure to pay the fee?
Not unless it's spelled out in the policy somewhere
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #97
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Seriously?
Yes seriously. How come the 30%-50% of my income that goes to the government isn't being used to pay for fire service in my area? How come that instead of trying to find out where I am the operator has to verify weather or not I paid a due, which for all I know could have been lost in the mail? Certain things need to be free market and others need to be socialism or whatever you want to call it. Fire service in and of itself should not be run by any free market policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Not unless it's spelled out in the policy somewhere
They've already agreed to pay for part of it. The insurance company that is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
To me it comes down to this. It costs money to run a fire department. Putting out the fire in this case, to me, presents a pretty damn clear endangerment to the funding of the fire department. Blame a dumb policy that allows something like this to happen. Don't blame the fire-fighters and their bosses. They have to keep open for business for the greater good. Putting out fires for free works against that. It just does. At the end of the the day they chose not to do something that might end up costing them way more than just one fire. I can't fault them for that. Is it more decent to put the fire out and watch everyone else stop paying the fees and therefore have to curtail the service? Not to me it isn't. They had to choose between two crappy choices.
How are you going to stay in business when no one feels like they can trust you anymore? Look at all this national exposure. Do you think anyone is going to want to fund these guys after this? They would have been much better off reaching a settlement after the fact like every other subscription service in Tennessee. They sacrificed long term financing for short term gain. Instead of getting a first round pick in two years they decided to take a 7th round pick this year.

Fire chiefs: We won't watch a home burn Knoxville News Sentinel
Quote:
Blount County residents who fail to subscribe to fire services for $110 will be presented with a hefty bill after firefighters finish their duties at a house fire.

McClanahan said it amounts to $2,200 for the initial call and $1,100 for every hour past the first two that firefighters are on the scene.

Wheeler said his department has no set fee but does ask the homeowner to assign to the fire department any insurance money designated for compensating the fire department.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #98
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

This system might be worse. It's amazing that so many Bengal players have been arrested.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #99
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,061
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Yes seriously. How come the 30%-50% of my income that goes to the government isn't being used to pay for fire service in my area? How come that instead of trying to find out where I am the operator has to verify weather or not I paid a due, which for all I know could have been lost in the mail? Certain things need to be free market and others need to be socialism or whatever you want to call it. Fire service in and of itself should not be run by any free market policies.
No disagreement here. The system sucked. I haven't argued that it doesn't. I am simply pointing out what so many people seem to forget. The fire-fighters operated within the system that was setup. If you want to argue that the $75 subscription fee is dumb I'll completely agree. It shouldn't be left up to individuals to make payments like that. But if you want to argue that standing there watching it burn was somehow "obviously" the wrong choice I can't agree.
Quote:
How are you going to stay in business when no one feels like they can trust you anymore? Look at all this national exposure. Do you think anyone is going to want to fund these guys after this? They would have been much better off reaching a settlement after the fact like every other subscription service in Tennessee. They sacrificed long term financing for short term gain. Instead of getting a first round pick in two years they decided to take a 7th round pick this year.
This is also true. it is also 100% hindsight.

All I want to argue is that what they did that day was try and make the best decision they could giving the crappy choices. Don't fault them for that.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #100
Camp Scrub
 
chica-alisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Locals Only
Age: 29
Posts: 6
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Hard to believe this is even a debate.

Couldn't agree with you more
chica-alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #101
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,750
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post

This is also true. it is also 100% hindsight.

All I want to argue is that what they did that day was try and make the best decision they could giving the crappy choices. Don't fault them for that.
I guess we're not to different there. I don't blame the firefighters themselves, rather I blame the city officials who enacted such a policy and the fire chief who had the power to prevent his men from doing anything. Ironically if I was a firefighter in that fire department I would have tried to put out the fire, especially with so many witnesses there. Best case scenario the fire gets put out. Worst case I get punched on national TV which results in job offers pouring in from around the country due to the fact that I tried to protect the honor of firefighters everywhere and the subscription system of South Fulton still gets the same amount of media coverage.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #102
Registered User
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 10,069
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

If you guys won't I will blame the firefighters...they're an accessory to the house burning down. Sometimes you have to ignore orders and they choose not to. Fck'em.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #103
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,946
Re: Firefighters Let Home Burn Over Unpaid Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
This system might be worse. It's amazing that so many Bengal players have been arrested.
i called 911 from my cell phone on I-95 this summer, it rang and rang until i got the exact "please hold, your call is important to us, an operator will be with you shortly". after holding for a while, and i mean a while, i hung up. a min or so later they called me back. lol

this was about 4-5 pm sunday, not friday or saturday night at 1 am. not sure how many 911 calls they get at that time but i was shocked they were overflooded with calls on a sunday afternoon.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39819 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25