Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Tupac or Biggie

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #61
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I have always been of the opinion that gangsta rap is the equivalent of junk tv, it's a cheap, mindless form of entertainment. And there's a place for that, but don't try to sell it to me as intellectually based criticism of culture. It's exploitative and ignorant for the most part. The above being a prime example.
The problem I have is that they sell the stuff to our kids as main stream. I can't blame the guy for trying to make a living but I can blame the MTV types pushing this stuff on our kids.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #62
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,096
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah, everyone knows Ja is the realist without a doubt, but this thread is just about Pac & Big.
Ja Rule was freakin horrible
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #63
Camp Scrub
 
chica-alisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Locals Only
Age: 28
Posts: 6
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Tupac...I have a book of poetry that he wrote-The Rose That Grew From Concrete... His talent was sensational!

"A coward dies a thousand deaths...A soldier dies but ONE!! "
chica-alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #64
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica-alisha View Post
Tupac...I have a book of poetry that he wrote-The Rose That Grew From Concrete... His talent was sensational!

"A coward dies a thousand deaths...A soldier dies but ONE!! "
That was William Shakespeare in "Julius Caesar."
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #65
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
That was William Shakespeare in "Julius Caesar."
Yeah right. Next youre going to tell me Coolio is ripping off quotes from the Bible.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #66
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Write a poem about your struggles and see how many albums it sells. Your distaste should not be about rap it should be for the society and lifestyle that caused it. Nobody wants to be a thug and promote that lifestyle, but they can only speak of their own experiences. America gets off on tragedy because the majority of the populatation experiences and embraces it because it's all the know.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #67
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Yeah right. Next youre going to tell me Coolio is ripping off quotes from the Bible.
I'm going to assume that's sarcasm. lol.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #68
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Write a poem about your struggles and see how many albums it sells. Your distatste should not be about rap it should be for the society and lifestyle that caused it. Nobody wants to be a thug and promote that lifestyle, but they can only speak of their own experiences. America gets off on tragedy because the majority of the populatation experiences and embraces it because it's all the know.
America embraces it because it's what's sold to them and we're largely a nation of sheep. Add that to the fact that there's not many better (harmless) ways for suburban white kids to piss off their parents, and it's a pretty good recipe to sell albums. Completely agree with your point about distaste for the society that produces the conditions these clowns are talking about, but let's not pretend this is high art. I don't think any form of media (music, games, etc) is going to get someone to pull a trigger they weren't already going to pull, my argument is that people glorify the music as if it has a heightened significance.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #69
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
America embraces it because it's what's sold to them and we're largely a nation of sheep. Add that to the fact that there's not many better (harmless) ways for suburban white kids to piss off their parents, and it's a pretty good recipe to sell albums. Completely agree with your point about distaste for the society that produces the conditions these clowns are talking about, but let's not pretend this is high art. I don't think any form of media (music, games, etc) is going to get someone to pull a trigger they weren't already going to pull, my argument is that people glorify the music as if it has a heightened significance.
I don't like comparing people to sheep but since you want to go that route yes, society treats the poverty stricken level of society like sheep.

Ask yourself why urban kids want to piss their parents off. Perhaps they were wronged in one way shape or form? IDK maybe a father left when they were a child or was too drunk to take interest in his chils life, or perhaps their mother was addicted to drugs and didn't provide the proper level of attention necessary to nourish a child.

Art is a depiction of life through the narrators eyes whether it be through a visual or audio description. Just because you do not think that it is high art doesn't mean that it isn't. Again we go back to opinion and what others can relate to and or crave.

You're right, someone who is going to act on a negative impulse is going to do so regardless of influence. That is why your argument that "such behavior is glorified with a heightened significance" holds no water.

Everyday people do things that they are not proud of and have the guts to tell the tale. Some people use those examples as motivation, as we agreed, and were going to act on their own impulses anyway and others are just intrigued and informed by it.

Last edited by KLHJ2; 11-02-2010 at 10:42 AM.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #70
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Rap fans, please explain the deeper meaning in the above? Perhaps explore the socio-economic take implied by "That's why I ****ed your bitch."
It's called Battle rap. It's a form of war which is usually limited to words but it sometimes can get deadly as in the case of Pac and Biggie. Expressing your anger with words is liberating.

This isn't an empty bluster.
Buster is no better than a duster.
His posts are the most lackluster.
Vote to ouster that inbred ballbuster.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 11-01-2010 at 07:52 PM.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #71
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyranchgirl View Post
2Pac touched me Biggie never did.
Hope your shots are up to date...
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #72
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
It's called Battle rap. It's a form of war which is usually limited to words but it sometimes can get deadly as in the case of Pac and Biggie. Expression your anger with words is liberating.

This isn't an empty bluster.
Buster is no better than a duster.
His posts are the most lackluster.
Vote to ouster that inbred ballbuster.
Right, which is where I get the fact that it's entertaining... wouldn't/couldn't argue that it's not, hell it's not like i never listen to it nor have any in my collection, but none of that means it has any deeper meaning than any other pop song out there. People always try to defend the genre by saying it's a look into the issues facing inner-city culture, but I don't buy that. I think it just exploits human nature in that we all listen to stories involving conflict. But it doesn't inspire anyone, which is what art is supposed to do. I think that's the crux of my argument: it's entertainment, not art.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I don't like comparing people to sheep but since you want to go that route yes, society treats the poverty stricken level of society like sheep.

Ask yourself why urban kids want to piss their parents off. Perhaps they were wronged in one way shape or form? IDK maybe a father left when they were a child or was too drunk to take interest in his chils life, or perhaps their mother was addicted to drugs and didn't provide the proper level of attention necessary to nourish a child.

Art is a depiction of life through the narrators eyes whether it be through a visual or audio description. Just because you do not think that it is high art doesn't mean that it isn't. Again we go back to opinion and what others can relate to and or crave.

Your right, someone who is going to act on a negative impulse is going to do so regardless of influence. That is why your argument that "such behavior is glorified with a heightened significance" holds no water.

Everyday people do things that they are not proud of and have the guts to tell the tale. Some people use those examples as motivation, as we agreed, and were going to act on their own impulses anyway and others are just intrigued and informed by it.
When I say people are sheep, i'm referring to the majority of consumers slurping up whatever they are told is hot, be it music, IT hardware, or whatever.

Your last paragraph is nonsense, imo. These clowns are not speaking "from the heart" they're speaking from the wallet. They know that the more vulgar, the more violent, the more extreme they get, the better that shit sells. They'e not trying to inspire anyone, and if you believe that they are, I think you're either kidding yourself or you've got a whole lot more faith in people than I think they deserve.

I never said "the behavior was glorified by a heightened significance." What I said was that people claim the music has a heightened significance, meaning claiming that there is a deeper meaning to it all than just your average song.

I have no issue with the genre, I just find it disingenuous when people feel the need to point to supposedly deeper interpretations when in fact, it mostly appeals to our baser instincts. That's not a bad thing necessarily.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #73
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Who looks at a painting and says "I want to do that"? Who draws inspiration from that painting to mimic what they see? Hardly anyone does that. On the other hand who looks at a painting and says "that is magnificant". It all comes down to taste. You just don't have a tase for Gangsta rap. That is no different from someone who says that they might like nudity in a painting but to depict sodomy is taking it too far.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #74
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Who looks at a painting and says "I want to do that"? Who draws inspiration from that painting to mimic what they see? Hardly anyone does that. On the other hand who looks at a painting and says "that is magnificant". It all comes down to taste. You just don't have a tase for Gangsta rap. That is no different from someone who says that they might like nudity in a painting but to depict sodomy is taking it too far.

LOOOOOL...
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #75
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,858
Re: Tupac or Biggie

Most rap is utter trash and like with everything you have to look harder to find the gems.


Take this for example...there's nothing deep about it but it is one of the most awesome songs ever.

__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44813 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25