Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #61
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
BS apology. How could you not think what you were saying isn't offensive or dumb. People don't go out of their way to say stuff like that unless they are truly dumb. WNBA must have cracked down.

Really the only laughing matter in all of that is the WNBA, seriously how is that league still operating?
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #62
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I realize they retain heat but they must also keep producing heat for some period because of how much time has passed and they are still that hot. The only other thing I could think of is that they have to lower the temp slowly to prevent cracking issues.

Something tells me it is not that easy and you may need a good understanding of nuclear physics to truly appreciate how it "cools" itself.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #63
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,142
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I realize they retain heat but they must also keep producing heat for some period because of how much time has passed and they are still that hot. The only other thing I could think of is that they have to lower the temp slowly to prevent cracking issues.
Nuclear Fission by definition is superheated. It is not fusion like a sun but you are cracking neutrons together to in order to break the bonds of atoms. This material is not just a car engine, or solar panel. from wiki:

A kilogram of uranium-235 (U-235) converted via nuclear processes contains approximately three million times the energy of a kilogram of coal burned conventionally (7.2 × 1013 joules per kilogram of uranium-235 versus 2.4 × 107 joules per kilogram of coal).[3][4]

That's really hot.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #64
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,619
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I mean, sure she apologized after the fact, but talk about ignorance:

New York Liberty's Cappie Pondexter apologizes for Japan tweets - ESPN New York

They should have written in their contracts that they aren't allowed to Twitter. I would say it's amazing that so many people are stupid as ****, but our country does rank 14th in the world in education scores. Not to mention idiots like her probably majored in some two bit degree so she could bounce a ball.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #65
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
So this weekend I'm watching CNN and the home reporter asked the one in Japan about looting. The reporter on the ground said that there was no looting and they didn't expect to see any looting. The home reporter seemed perplexed about no looting and seem sure that there had to be looting going on. The ground reporter said they have done reporting in Japan for 20 some years and said they would be very, very surprised if there was any looting. The home reporter still seem baffled at how they could have this much destruction without any looting. I laughed thinking how they always make excuses for people looting everything they can get their hands on here. I guess reporters don't understand integrity or honor.
Funny I was thinking of the looting as well, how in New Orleans they went crazy looting but in Japan it doesn't seem that way.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #66
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,101
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

To Merry White, an anthropology professor at Boston University who studies Japanese culture , the real question is why looting and disorder exist in American society. She attributes it largely to social alienation and class gaps.

"There IS some alienation and indeed some class gaps in Japan too but violence, and taking what belongs to others, are simply not culturally approved or supported," White said in an e-mail.

Orderly disaster reaction in line with deep cultural roots – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #67
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,957
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

shows how reactor over heats.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #68
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,101
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Japan Earthquake 2011: Before/After Satellite Images Show Extent Of Devastation (PHOTOS)
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #69
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 13,573
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I mean, sure she apologized after the fact, but talk about ignorance:

New York Liberty's Cappie Pondexter apologizes for Japan tweets - ESPN New York
Absolutely disgusting. I cant believe people think like this after semi recent disasters here like 9/11 and Katrina.
__________________
“Nobody’s going to be handed a job; not my standpoint, and I know Jay feels that way and I know Bruce feels the same way. You have to earn it. That’s what the NFL is about. Prove to me that you deserve to be on the field,’ and that’s the way it has to be in the NFL.”- McC
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #70
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 8,606
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

This is horrible. I cannot imagine how it felt to be there in the face of all that water.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #71
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,101
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I mean, sure she apologized after the fact, but talk about ignorance:

New York Liberty's Cappie Pondexter apologizes for Japan tweets - ESPN New York
ugh what a F'ing moron
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #72
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 28
Posts: 8,606
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

There is the First that I know.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #73
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Only a professor could think up that stupid shit. They use that excuse for the people looting to make it seem ok. The other part of the story is that in the US you get a slap on the hand and in Japan you can spend 3 yrs in jail for just steeling some candy.
No. The Japanese are just a truly gentle people in their homeland. They don't avoid crime because of criminal penalties - they just don't even think about committing crimes to begin with. I lived in Japan for two years and was struck by how different, in a good way, many Japanese folks are from many American folks. I'll bet many Japanese folks do not know the penalties for theft simply because they have never thought about the reality of stealing.

This difference from many Americans begs the question of why many Americans behave like barbarians in many situations where many Japanese folks would behave gently.

I disagree with the professor because she overlooks something in her thesis: while the Japanese are gentle and civilized in their homeland, they can become very violent abroad. The Rape of Nanjing is just one example of what I am talking about. Violence which is literally unthinkable to Japanese folks in Japan becomes a reality to the same Japanese folks in foreign contexts. Therefore, to me any explanation of why Japanese and American cultures are so different must take into account the neo-Confucian group-think which is part of everyday Japanese life.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #74
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,101
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
There is the First that I know.
I was thinking more along the lines of this

__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #75
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 86,101
Re: Massive quake hits Japan; Tsunami in Pacific, nations on alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
No. The Japanese are just a truly gentle people in their homeland. They don't avoid crime because of criminal penalties - they just don't even think about committing crimes to begin with. I lived in Japan for two years and was struck by how different, in a good way, many Japanese folks are from many American folks. I'll bet many Japanese folks do not know the penalties for theft simply because they have never thought about the reality of stealing.

This difference from many Americans begs the question of why many Americans behave like barbarians in many situations where many Japanese folks would behave gently.

I disagree with the professor because she overlooks something in her thesis: while the Japanese are gentle and civilized in their homeland, they can become very violent abroad. The Rape of Nanjing is just one example of what I am talking about. Violence which is literally unthinkable to Japanese folks in Japan becomes a reality to the same Japanese folks in foreign contexts. Therefore, to me any explanation of why Japanese and American cultures are so different must take into account the neo-Confucian group-think which is part of everyday Japanese life.
Until all this happened I never realized they have almost daily tremors there... what was that like? Something you just get used to?

And on a totally unrelated note, how's the sushi there?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28825 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25