Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


The runners thread

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #106
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,408
Re: The runners thread

That's pretty crazy with the deer
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #107
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,209
Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I did the Tough Mudder last October (Wintergreen) It was a blast. We took our time, didn't worry how long it was taking us (4 hours). You'll have a blast at the Warrior Dash. A few of my friends have done it and loved it.

If you're ever looking for a good training schedule check out Hal Higdon's website (not a porn star, I promise). That's what I use for my half-marathon and marathon training. He has training for all users from 5ks to marathons.
Saw someone today in the gym with a Tough Mudder T on....wondered what that was......
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #108
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,987
Re: The runners thread

Hey fellow runners. I usually try to run 8-10 miles a week, usually in 2 - 2 1/2 mile increments. Id been doing this for the last year and never had a problem. But the last 2 weeks ive gotten pains in my feet and in the last week ive got serious aches in my left heel of foot. Worst in the mornings. Ive only been able to run twice this week, and its gotten worse. Ive spoken with a long distance worker I work with and she said its probably Planter Fascitis and i should see a doctor.

Has anyone experienced this before? Whats the recover period and treatment? Ive looked online, but want to see if anyone had a real account of the injury. Thanks
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #109
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,408
Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Hey fellow runners. I usually try to run 8-10 miles a week, usually in 2 - 2 1/2 mile increments. Id been doing this for the last year and never had a problem. But the last 2 weeks ive gotten pains in my feet and in the last week ive got serious aches in my left heel of foot. Worst in the mornings. Ive only been able to run twice this week, and its gotten worse. Ive spoken with a long distance worker I work with and she said its probably Planter Fascitis and i should see a doctor.

Has anyone experienced this before? Whats the recover period and treatment? Ive looked online, but want to see if anyone had a real account of the injury. Thanks
I had the same thing last year around Thanksgiving, my pain was more in the middle of my foot though. Took a month off from running and I was ok. The key is to stretch really well and ice down after a run. But unfortunately, rest is the only cure. If you're in pain, don't run, it will only get worse.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #110
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: The runners thread

That sucks, man. Rest it, stay off your feet as much as you can, take some ibuprofen a couple times a day if your okay with it, ice it if starts to get inflamed. If you start running again, once it's gone, think about investing in a new pair of running shoes. Also, if you're running on concrete sidewalks you may want to find a different terrain type. If that's easier said than done then try shortening your stride and landing more mid-foot rather than heel striking.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #111
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,987
Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
That sucks, man. Rest it, stay off your feet as much as you can, take some ibuprofen a couple times a day if your okay with it, ice it if starts to get inflamed. If you start running again, once it's gone, think about investing in a new pair of running shoes. Also, if you're running on concrete sidewalks you may want to find a different terrain type. If that's easier said than done then try shortening your stride and landing more mid-foot rather than heel striking.
Yeah, the first thing I did after my initial pain in my feet is I went online and bought a new pair of running shoes. I thought my feet were telling me its time for a new pair. I usually run on wooded trails, but move to a lit track when time changes.

I feel much better today after doing some stretching last night. Im gonna stay off it for 2-3 weeks. Im not swollen anywhere which is great.

Also bought a night splint yesterday online.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #112
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: The runners thread

Just got back from Disney World. I decided to try the Goofy Challenge which is running the half-marathon on Saturday and then the whole marathon on Sunday. I had a great time overall but the last 5 miles on Sunday were absolute torture. I missed a lot of weeks of training dealing with tendonitis in my ankle and then tore a calf muscle in late November which put me out for 4 weeks. I only got in 2 long runs of 16 and 17 miles before the race.

Anyway, if anyone is looking to run a marathon then Disney World is a great one to try. They take good care of you (20 aid stations along the way) and, if you have kids, then it makes for a cool winter trip where the crowds aren't so crazy.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #113
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,987
Re: The runners thread

OTL: Fauja Singh, the runner - ESPN

Pretty amazing. hard to find an excuse after reading this.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #114
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Runkeeper makes a good app. I've been using it for a few months. I like having the current pace announcements set to every 1/2 mile.

My wife, the runner of the family, loves RunKeeper. She uses it on her Samsung Galaxy Player and it works just fine. It uses Google Maps to DL the map/route while she's on wifi in the house and works flawlessly while "offline" outside.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #115
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: The runners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
Just got back from Disney World. I decided to try the Goofy Challenge which is running the half-marathon on Saturday and then the whole marathon on Sunday. I had a great time overall but the last 5 miles on Sunday were absolute torture. I missed a lot of weeks of training dealing with tendonitis in my ankle and then tore a calf muscle in late November which put me out for 4 weeks. I only got in 2 long runs of 16 and 17 miles before the race.

Anyway, if anyone is looking to run a marathon then Disney World is a great one to try. They take good care of you (20 aid stations along the way) and, if you have kids, then it makes for a cool winter trip where the crowds aren't so crazy.
My sister ran the full marathon at Disney a few yrs back.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #116
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: The runners thread

__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #117
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,987
Re: The runners thread

Hamstring injury. Bout a month ago I feel like aching in my left hamstring, like in the middle of my leg. Didnt really feel like a sharp pull, but a achy pain. I can feel it when i walk sometimes and when I was running it feel it obviously and its weird. Not a sharp pain, but numbing ach and literally makes my leg go weak where i slow down for a second and then speed back up pushing through. I usually run 3 miles within 30 minutes several times a week. I've taking 2 weeks off to rest it, started last night and its still there.

Any suggestions? I do stretch, not great, but something for several minutes. What are the best stretches, and treatments? Lotta crap on the web, but nothing i saw great for running. Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #118
Wildcard Bitches
 
RobH4413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 2,489
Re: The runners thread

Not a runner here, never really have been... but thought I'd pick it up cause I'm just dying in my weekly pickup basketball game. I mean, I'm not even playing defense anymore and thats just bush.

I'm trying to run at least one mile every day for sixty days. I'll run a little more on nicer days, and would ideally like to train for a half marathon, thought it would be a good way to build my endurance up a bit.

Any suggestions on running gear? Is their any particular shoes worth getting over others (i've seen those foot shoes or whatever)? Thanks in advance.
__________________
This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!
RobH4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #119
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,961
Re: The runners thread

Getting the right shoes is important. Different shoes are designed for different physiologies. Go to a runners shop and have them watch you run so they can fit you properly with a matching shoe.

Also after a few weeks you'll find a mile feels pretty lame. If you're thinking about running a half or full marathon you need to start working on what is called a "base". Meaning putting in miles to help your body and mind prepare to go longer distances. You could work your way up to 2.5-3 miles in a month with dedication and get to 5 in 10 weeks. Then you could really start light training for a marathon or half.

Finally...don't run every day. It might be ok in the beginning but your body needs recovery time. Every other day would be better. On off days do some type of cross training or jog/walk to get stretched out and raise your heartbeat.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #120
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,408
Re: The runners thread

There are some good running apps out there to help you train and stay on track. As for shoes I agree, hit up a running shop and get fitted by the pros. Having the right shoes makes all the difference.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28921 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25