Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

I know we like to nerd out every now and then on here, and I wondered why this hasn't been discussed yet.

Basically I got to stay at work an extra three hours tonight because a student upgraded herself to Lion, then suddenly had massive network drops constantly.

Microsoft takes tons of flak when they put out shit, but I haven't heard a peep about what a failure this OS has been, with the exception of a few dozen forum posts on the Apple support website over 100 pages each.

Now, this thread is partially to whine and partially for help because I know we have some tech support people on here.

Apple has had zero help to offer except "Reload Lion from scratch, it'll be amazing." Now, this is extra frustrating because students don't notice this wireless dropout at home because it's only apparent on enterprise networks with encryption so I'm taking the heat for this. I go to Snow Leopard, the computer runs FLAWLESSLY.

If you name something, I've probably tried it, but has anyone else seen this and had a fix for it?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...=1170&tstart=0

I've pretty much tried everything in that thread...
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

I've heard it's had it's share of issues, personally I haven't had any problems.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Did you upgrade directly from Snow Leopard or do a fresh install? I'd say at least 50% of the students here with Lion have had serious issues.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,694
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Did you upgrade directly from Snow Leopard or do a fresh install? I'd say at least 50% of the students here with Lion have had serious issues.
I just got an iMac recently, so it came already installed.

I think most of the issues come when people upgrade from Snow Leopard from what I've read about it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

That's what it seems like, even though a lot of people here have reformatted from scratch (this is mostly laptops) and will be fine for about 2 weeks, then suddenly wireless drop-outs happen. Snow Leopard people are fine here, PC people are fine... just weird.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,214
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

every time I hear iMac, I think of this old MadTV sketch. Always makes me laugh a little.

Madtv - Apple I-rack - YouTube
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,465
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

We have 2 Mac Minis in the office, but they are not on the domain. However, I do have issues if there is more than one Mac trying to VPN from the same network (we have 3 Macs in the office, all of which use our wireless network, and they VPN into our network). The fix for that was to use Cisco AnyConnect instead of the native VPN client.

Both Minis were upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. I am having issues getting VNC working on the Mini assigned to me. I wonder if it would be worth my while to reload, since it sounds like there are various problems if you go the upgrade route.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER. - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

I come, mainly, from the PC windows/linux world, but I've always found that if you're having issues after an upgrade of the OS, it's always best to blow everything away and reload the OS from scratch. I'm sure you can do this with the Mac OS, but I've found this to be true in the Windows world.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,919
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

In our shop we try to avoid upgrading as much as possible. Especially on the OS side. It's just so volatile.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
In our shop we try to avoid upgrading as much as possible. Especially on the OS side. It's just so volatile.
Seems like a pretty good rule of thumb in the technical world. The latest and greatest isn't exactly the most stable and useful. Often times, by the time all the bugs are fixed and you've gotten it to do exactly what you need it to do, the OS is outdated.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I come, mainly, from the PC windows/linux world, but I've always found that if you're having issues after an upgrade of the OS, it's always best to blow everything away and reload the OS from scratch. I'm sure you can do this with the Mac OS, but I've found this to be true in the Windows world.
See, the problem is that we've done this on a few machines and nothing seems to work. Like, it's a partition delete, reformat WITH the combo update to 10.7.2 and it's fine for a couple weeks and then it's garbage again.

Our network engineer is like, "Fine, F it. Again, Apple won't play nice with enterprise, WE have to play nice with them."
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,500
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
See, the problem is that we've done this on a few machines and nothing seems to work. Like, it's a partition delete, reformat WITH the combo update to 10.7.2 and it's fine for a couple weeks and then it's garbage again.

Our network engineer is like, "Fine, F it. Again, Apple won't play nice with enterprise, WE have to play nice with them."
Ahhhh, that sucks dude. So much for Apple having the OS that "just works". That's what makes me appreciate Linux more and more everyday. If something doesn't work, somebody somewhere will develop a fix for it.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,214
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Every time I play with Linux, it's always the little stuff that pisses me off. Ubuntu has made strides in making Linux a more accessible OS though. I love it for certain things. Backtrack for fun nerd stuff/imaging HDs/etc. Redhat (or CentOS) for servers that just run with the occasional network service restart.

Honestly, I love Windows 7. I have had no issues with it, apart from a bad stick of RAM that isn't the OSes fault. It's easy, it works, and it's compatible with about everything. I spend all day trying to fix ****ed up computers -- when I get home I want something easy. Any time I want to play I fire up VirtualBox into any distro I want!

The attitude Apple shows to their consumer drives me crazy. They're like that asshole that thinks you're lucky (s)he is even talking to you. One of the reasons I moved from an iPhone to an Android was this type of attitude. Glad to see even Apples co-founder loves his android based phone (Woz praises Android, blasts iPhone limitations • reghardware).

Good luck TMC. Setup a Windows 7 VM and tell them to do all network related activity through that.

(Before people go crazy, I understand that wouldn't work -- just being an ass.)
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Ahhhh, that sucks dude. So much for Apple having the OS that "just works". That's what makes me appreciate Linux more and more everyday. If something doesn't work, somebody somewhere will develop a fix for it.
Linux can be very internet-dependent and time-dependent for newcomers(Debian squeeze and then sid in my case). Crossover can facilitate the transition, but for a price.

Not contradicting you. I'm just sayin'.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,464
Re: Apple OSX Lion = Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Every time I play with Linux, it's always the little stuff that pisses me off. Ubuntu has made strides in making Linux a more accessible OS though. I love it for certain things. Backtrack for fun nerd stuff/imaging HDs/etc. Redhat (or CentOS) for servers that just run with the occasional network service restart.

Honestly, I love Windows 7. I have had no issues with it, apart from a bad stick of RAM that isn't the OSes fault. It's easy, it works, and it's compatible with about everything. I spend all day trying to fix ****ed up computers -- when I get home I want something easy. Any time I want to play I fire up VirtualBox into any distro I want!

The attitude Apple shows to their consumer drives me crazy. They're like that asshole that thinks you're lucky (s)he is even talking to you. One of the reasons I moved from an iPhone to an Android was this type of attitude. Glad to see even Apples co-founder loves his android based phone (Woz praises Android, blasts iPhone limitations • reghardware).

Good luck TMC. Setup a Windows 7 VM and tell them to do all network related activity through that.

(Before people go crazy, I understand that wouldn't work -- just being an ass.)
This was my experience with my last support call. It was kind of like a *shrug* "Sucks to be you." I got elevated to tier 3 (maybe tier 10 for all I know) and they were like, "Your problem."

I pointed out the forum and they were like, "Well you guys have a different issue."

In the end, we're adding some more DNS entries in hopes that it'll keep the connection alive. One thing we're considering is increasing the beacon interval, BUT that's going to affect the PC users.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Last edited by TheMalcolmConnection; 01-24-2012 at 09:55 AM.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29062 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25