Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Smart Phone Help

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #136
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,258
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
WTF. That dudes dogs have something I always wanted as a kid. LAME!
me too, i wanted one that had a zip line down, how awesome would that be?!?
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #137
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,859
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I got the Samsung Galaxy S3 for Christmas and boy am I loving it. Screen is huge, its faster than that old 3G pos I was using before. Best gift my dad could've gotten me. No issues with it so far. Glad I got this over the iphone. Never really been an Apple fan anyway.
I love my S3. I like the big screen and it is super fast. Never liked the iPhone and I will probably never get one.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #138
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 27
Posts: 12,192
Re: Smart Phone Help

I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote on FB here in regards to my queries for getting a new phone, and if anyone could help that would be awesome:

I need some advice. Planning on getting a new phone sometime in the next couple months, and I'm undecided between Verizon/ATT/Sprint. I currently have the Iphone 4 with an unlimited plan with Verizon, but if I upgrade they're going to make me pay $10 more for a 2gb plan instead of unlimited data. I'm not happy about paying more for less, but I'll manage.

I do have an upgrade credit if I stay with Verizon, but I checked out their website and it didn't change the price for anything (it said 200 for a Galaxy S3 with a new 2 year plan, and the price didn't change even after I applied the credit, so I'm not entirely sure what that's good for). Also I'm torn between waiting for the latest and greatest (i.e. the Sony Xperia Z that probably won't be out for 3-4 months, and not sure what carriers yet, or the next Iphone) or just buying an older model phone that works fine, like an Iphone 5 or the Galaxy S3. Anyways, any of my techie friends wanna weigh in? I've always had Verizon so I'm not sure how much different the main two competitors (ATT or Sprint) are in terms of network, plans, charges, etc. If I do switch it'll be to either of those two.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #139
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,258
Re: Smart Phone Help

wish i could offer some good advice, sorry moobs.

all i can say is that i rarely use mobile data, i use wifi at home, and wifi at work. i use mobile data in my commute for waze, that's pretty much the extent of it.

if you're able to use wifi at home and at work, don't sweat the 2 gb limit too hard.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #140
Gamebreaker
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 28
Posts: 13,110
Re: Smart Phone Help

As someone who is phone crazy. I've used about 500mbs of data in almost a month.

As Los said, anywhere that has wifi, USE IT. This is from someone who checks facebook religiously, posts pictures, uses instagram, surfs the web in bed (since I don't have a laptop), I was afraid that 2 gigs wouldn't be enough. But so far it looks like I may not even make 1 gig before the end of my cycle.

As long as you don't live on your phone outside of places that don't have wifi, 2 gigs is plenty.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

Watching this team with RG3 is like watching a body reject a transplanted organ. It just ain't gonna take." - HTTR

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #141
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,258
Re: Smart Phone Help

i should add that my current cycle started on 12/23/12, i've used 180 mb mobile data so far.
it would normally be higher than that but i didn't use it much while i was back in maryland for just over a week. still, multiply it by 5 and it's still not even 1 gb.
wifi is a shitton faster anyways
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #142
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 36
Posts: 4,503
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote on FB here in regards to my queries for getting a new phone, and if anyone could help that would be awesome:

I need some advice. Planning on getting a new phone sometime in the next couple months, and I'm undecided between Verizon/ATT/Sprint. I currently have the Iphone 4 with an unlimited plan with Verizon, but if I upgrade they're going to make me pay $10 more for a 2gb plan instead of unlimited data. I'm not happy about paying more for less, but I'll manage.

I do have an upgrade credit if I stay with Verizon, but I checked out their website and it didn't change the price for anything (it said 200 for a Galaxy S3 with a new 2 year plan, and the price didn't change even after I applied the credit, so I'm not entirely sure what that's good for). Also I'm torn between waiting for the latest and greatest (i.e. the Sony Xperia Z that probably won't be out for 3-4 months, and not sure what carriers yet, or the next Iphone) or just buying an older model phone that works fine, like an Iphone 5 or the Galaxy S3. Anyways, any of my techie friends wanna weigh in? I've always had Verizon so I'm not sure how much different the main two competitors (ATT or Sprint) are in terms of network, plans, charges, etc. If I do switch it'll be to either of those two.
Before making the switch, get the Sensorly app and compare the different carriers near where you'll be.

Verizon seems to still have the upper hand on LTE in the DC Area. Sprint might have unlimited data, but their coverage is the weakest of the 3 you mentioned. I've never been a big fan of AT&T, but then again I've been a Verizon customer since 2000.

The thing about phones is as soon as you buy one, it's obsolete. So it's a matter of being able to live with what you buy for 2 years. I'm seriously contemplating jumping from iPhone to Android this fall when I'm eligible to upgrade. I love my iPhone, but I'm getting more into Android development and would be nice to be able to use what I'm building.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #143
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,258
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Before making the switch, get the Sensorly app and compare the different carriers near where you'll be.

Verizon seems to still have the upper hand on LTE in the DC Area. Sprint might have unlimited data, but their coverage is the weakest of the 3 you mentioned. I've never been a big fan of AT&T, but then again I've been a Verizon customer since 2000.

The thing about phones is as soon as you buy one, it's obsolete. So it's a matter of being able to live with what you buy for 2 years. I'm seriously contemplating jumping from iPhone to Android this fall when I'm eligible to upgrade. I love my iPhone, but I'm getting more into Android development and would be nice to be able to use what I'm building.
what kind of things are you cooking?
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #144
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 36
Posts: 4,503
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
what kind of things are you cooking?
Proprietary stuff for my company thus far. I'm still very green. Trying to get my feet wet learning Java first before jumping into Android development.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #145
New HC, new hope!
 
RedskinRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: I'm in LA, trick!
Posts: 8,700
Re: Smart Phone Help

The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your Smartphone

Congress passed the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in 1998 to outlaw technologies that bypass copyright protections. This sounds like a great idea, but in practice it has terrible, and widely acknowledged, negative consequences that affect consumers and new innovation. The DMCA leaves it up to the Librarian of Congress (LOC) to issue exemptions from the law, exceptions that were recognized to be necessary given the broad language of the statute that swept a number of ordinary acts and technologies as potential DMCA circumvention violations.

Every three years groups like the American Foundation for the Blind have to lobby Congress to protect an exception for the blind allowing for books to be read aloud. Can you imagine a more ridiculous regulation than one that requires a lobby group for the blind to come to Capitol Hill every three years to explain that the blind still can't read books on their own and therefore need this exception?

Until recently it was illegal to jailbreak your own iPhone, and after Saturday it will be illegal to unlock a new smartphone, thereby allowing it to switch carriers. This is a result of the exception to the DMCA lapsing. It was not a mistake, but rather an intentional choice by the Librarian of Congress, that this was no longer fair use and acceptable. The Electronic Frontier Foundation among other groups has detailed the many failings of the DMCA Triennial Rulemaking process, which in this case led to this exception lapsing.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #146
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 48
Posts: 13,172
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your Smartphone

Congress passed the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in 1998 to outlaw technologies that bypass copyright protections. This sounds like a great idea, but in practice it has terrible, and widely acknowledged, negative consequences that affect consumers and new innovation. The DMCA leaves it up to the Librarian of Congress (LOC) to issue exemptions from the law, exceptions that were recognized to be necessary given the broad language of the statute that swept a number of ordinary acts and technologies as potential DMCA circumvention violations.

Every three years groups like the American Foundation for the Blind have to lobby Congress to protect an exception for the blind allowing for books to be read aloud. Can you imagine a more ridiculous regulation than one that requires a lobby group for the blind to come to Capitol Hill every three years to explain that the blind still can't read books on their own and therefore need this exception?

Until recently it was illegal to jailbreak your own iPhone, and after Saturday it will be illegal to unlock a new smartphone, thereby allowing it to switch carriers. This is a result of the exception to the DMCA lapsing. It was not a mistake, but rather an intentional choice by the Librarian of Congress, that this was no longer fair use and acceptable. The Electronic Frontier Foundation among other groups has detailed the many failings of the DMCA Triennial Rulemaking process, which in this case led to this exception lapsing.
It's my understanding that the actual law is that you can't unlock a phone which you bought on a contract at a reduced price. If you paid full price for your phone, and/or have satisfied any contractual obligations (ie at the end of the 2yr contract) that you accepted as part of receiving the phone at a reduced price, or pay the early termination fee associated with breaking your contract, then you are free to unlock the phone.

Not saying it makes much more sense, but it's basically a contractual issue between wireless providers and cellphone users

another good article on it:
Unlocking Cellphones Becomes Illegal Saturday | LiveScience
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #147
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Age: 30
Posts: 4,258
Re: Smart Phone Help

i unlocked (and rooted) my phone. i mainly did this so i could use a task manager that would actually work.

it drove me crazy when a window would pop up telling me "x app is misbehaving, click ok to stop it". i would tell it to stop only to see the same window pop up 30 seconds later.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.46102 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25