Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Smart Phone Help

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
One other tip. Don't buy insurance through your carrier. Go with something like square trade. Same plans but cheaper.

Actually don't get insurance and take the risk. IF you get the warranty for say a Droid Bionic it will cost you $70 then if you drop or break your phone yo ustill have to pay $100 deductible to replace it; $170 total investment if broken (lost and your SOL). You could easily replace that phone on eBay for $200.

Risk the $30 and pocket the $70. Plus most warranties are only good for a year.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
Alvin Walton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Holland, Michigan
Posts: 4,136
Re: Smart Phone Help

Ok, Iíll join in here because weíre up for a new renewal on our phone package and Iíd like a new phone and I know you guys would love beating me up on this.
I currently have a cheesy flip open phone than can text and takes very bad pictures..Ö thatís about it.
The wife says I can get a free new phone that slides open (donít know how else to describe it) and has a full keyboard with a shift key etc etc and it takes average pictures, not much else to it.
Iím thinking I want to go better than that but donít want to spend a whole lot.
My eye sight also sucks without reading glasses so there is that.
I do not need internet on my phone. Iím behind a PC ĺ of the day at work and a lot at home.
I donít travel on business very much so donít need internet for that. I also donít need this phone for business related stuff.
I donít know shit about apps but Iím sure there a lot I would like of them.
So what do I want?
__________________
REDSKINS FAN SINCE 1968
Alvin Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Ok, Iíll join in here because weíre up for a new renewal on our phone package and Iíd like a new phone and I know you guys would love beating me up on this.
I currently have a cheesy flip open phone than can text and takes very bad pictures..Ö thatís about it.
The wife says I can get a free new phone that slides open (donít know how else to describe it) and has a full keyboard with a shift key etc etc and it takes average pictures, not much else to it.
Iím thinking I want to go better than that but donít want to spend a whole lot.
My eye sight also sucks without reading glasses so there is that.
I do not need internet on my phone. Iím behind a PC ĺ of the day at work and a lot at home.
I donít travel on business very much so donít need internet for that. I also donít need this phone for business related stuff.
I donít know shit about apps but Iím sure there a lot I would like of them.
So what do I want?
This:



Plus



Should cover your old ass needs.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #34
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,438
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
This:



Plus



Should cover your old ass needs.
I heard Best Buy is running a special on that setup this week, plus they're tossing in a free month of AOL
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #35
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I heard Best Buy is running a special on that setup this week, plus they're tossing in a free month of AOL
I just pissed myself!

Make sure the cable is Monster grade and you get the extended warranty on the phone too!
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Smart Phone Help

^^

^

nice!
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #37
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,378
Re: Smart Phone Help

I'm glad someone posted this thread. My cellphone ended a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking about the next phone I get. I just had a little Pantech Jest...something that didn't require data service. I'm kicking myself for going with that phone after I got rid of my Blackberry, because I had no idea Verizon was going to limit the data service. If I had known that in advanced, I would have kept my data (probably gotten rid of the blackberry thought.)

Anyways, I'm eyeing the Droid Razr Maxx. It's supposed to have one of the best smartphones in regards to battery life and features, but it is a bit pricey for me. I'm glad someone mentioned Amazonwireless, I can save a few bucks off of the phone from there, although I WISHED I was a new customer as those guys are getting a big savings off of the phone. Anyways, anybody else have the Maxx?
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #38
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm glad someone posted this thread. My cellphone ended a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking about the next phone I get. I just had a little Pantech Jest...something that didn't require data service. I'm kicking myself for going with that phone after I got rid of my Blackberry, because I had no idea Verizon was going to limit the data service. If I had known that in advanced, I would have kept my data (probably gotten rid of the blackberry thought.)

Anyways, I'm eyeing the Droid Razr Maxx. It's supposed to have one of the best smartphones in regards to battery life and features, but it is a bit pricey for me. I'm glad someone mentioned Amazonwireless, I can save a few bucks off of the phone from there, although I WISHED I was a new customer as those guys are getting a big savings off of the phone. Anyways, anybody else have the Maxx?
You are in the same boat as myself a few months back. I say give the Bionic a whirl. It is cheaper up front just as fast as the Razor and you can remove the battery to reboot it. Also as a man it fit better in my pocket then the Razor.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,178
Re: Smart Phone Help

If you're looking for an android smartphone, I'd recommend waiting if possible. Very rarely is it a good idea to wait for "new stuff" because there's always something new and better around the corner. (that's the story on how my desktop took about a year longer to build than first anticipated!) Within the next few months there will be some really great phones coming out.

When it comes down to it, you have to figure out what features are important to you and focus on those. Display? Camera? Service? Battery life? QWERTY vs Touch keyboard, etc. Once those are established it's easier to point you in the right direction.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,560
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
If you're looking for an android smartphone, I'd recommend waiting if possible. Very rarely is it a good idea to wait for "new stuff" because there's always something new and better around the corner. (that's the story on how my desktop took about a year longer to build than first anticipated!) Within the next few months there will be some really great phones coming out.

When it comes down to it, you have to figure out what features are important to you and focus on those. Display? Camera? Service? Battery life? QWERTY vs Touch keyboard, etc. Once those are established it's easier to point you in the right direction.
I think the Bionic is there for the waiters. IT is 100 bucks has 4g, dual processors and will be outfitted with Ice Cream Sandwich this year. That is a pretty packed phone for $100; should easily get yo uthrough the next two years.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #41
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,378
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal;908477[B
]If you're looking for an android smartphone, I'd recommend waiting if possible. Very rarely is it a good idea to wait for "new stuff" because there's always something new and better around the corner. [/B](that's the story on how my desktop took about a year longer to build than first anticipated!) Within the next few months there will be some really great phones coming out.

When it comes down to it, you have to figure out what features are important to you and focus on those. Display? Camera? Service? Battery life? QWERTY vs Touch keyboard, etc. Once those are established it's easier to point you in the right direction.
?? Did you mean not waiting if possible? Usually my rule of thumb, being a tech guy, I don't purchase the latest and greatest cutting edge thing. I like to purchase what has been out long enough in order to gather enough data about the product to make a better decision. Not to mention that smartphones, tablets, computers, etc...all tend to have their bugs that need working out through customer contact.

As far as features go, I would like a phone with a good camera on it, both video and still pictures. I haven't had a touchscreen phone (I don't own a tablet computer as of yet either) and have only had one QWERTY phone, so my thoughts are touchscreen on the next phone to see if I'd like it better than the QWERTY. Certainly I would say battery life is what everybody would like to have in a phone, and I've read excellent reviews about the Razr Maxx in that regard. I hated the idea of my last smartphone (Blackberry Curve) having to be recharged at luch time, and charged again that night. I DO realize, however, this is common among smartphones, and probably more common depending upon what it's used mostly for.

The point is, I can't really say, outside of battery life, that the phone must have this or that, since most of those features were not present in the phone I currently have. I will say, since Verizon is offering double the data with 4G, I don't want to settle for a 3G phone with half the data limit.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,378
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think the Bionic is there for the waiters. IT is 100 bucks has 4g, dual processors and will be outfitted with Ice Cream Sandwich this year. That is a pretty packed phone for $100; should easily get yo uthrough the next two years.
Actually, I can get the Droid Bonic off of Amazon Wireless for $50.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 46
Posts: 12,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
If you're looking for an android smartphone, I'd recommend waiting if possible. Very rarely is it a good idea to wait for "new stuff" because there's always something new and better around the corner. (that's the story on how my desktop took about a year longer to build than first anticipated!) Within the next few months there will be some really great phones coming out.

When it comes down to it, you have to figure out what features are important to you and focus on those. Display? Camera? Service? Battery life? QWERTY vs Touch keyboard, etc. Once those are established it's easier to point you in the right direction.
Problem with waiting is:
IF you are a Geek then the next one is ALWAYS around the corner (Android 5.0 is going to rock your world)

If you are NOT a geek then the upgrades in the next cycle aren't going to mean as much as having a good phone now.

As is most 4g phones now and some 3g are going to go to ice cream sandwich by end of year.

Its the difference between always buying a new off the lot car or one that is a year old. The new may be great but the 1 year old will take you to the store also.


Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,378
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Problem with waiting is:
IF you are a Geek then the next one is ALWAYS around the corner (Android 5.0 is going to rock your world)

If you are NOT a geek then the upgrades in the next cycle aren't going to mean as much as having a good phone now.

As is most 4g phones now and some 3g are going to go to ice cream sandwich by end of year.

Its the difference between always buying a new off the lot car or one that is a year old. The new may be great but the 1 year old will take you to the store also.


Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Exactly. I like to think of myself as somewhat of a geek, but one who looks more at operating systems that are stable and have been out long enough to research plenty of info on it. A gearhead has to have the latest and greatest and usually has the bank account to do it. If I spend a couple hundred bucks on a smartphone, I want one that I know already has an established reputation, not to mention the most bang for my buck as far as features. Needless to say, whatever phone I do get will not be traded in in a few months. I'll use this phone no less than the two year contract, even if I decided in the end that I didn't like it. I kept my Blackberry for the whole two years, and downgraded at the end of my contract. I figured now, with my job, it's becoming more and more important to have internet access on the go. So hence, the smartphone shopping.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Smart Phone Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm glad someone mentioned Amazonwireless, I can save a few bucks off of the phone from there, although I WISHED I was a new customer as those guys are getting a big savings off of the phone. Anyways, anybody else have the Maxx?
I forgot to add that at the last minute i didnt go with Amazon. They didnt offer my old school text plan so i called verizon to ask if i upgrade with amazon can i change back to my old text plan right aferwards. They said why dont i upgrade with them, and i said because its 50 dollars cheaper on amazon.

They said we will give you 25 off, i said why not 50? They said its easy to give 25 off upgrades, but managers have to approve anything more than that.

Basically anyone who upgrades should get at a minium 25 off the "sticker" price.
__________________
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34484 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25