Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
the mayans didn't have leap year. y'all are scoffing 9 months too late.
Actually, scientists believe that it is possible that their calendar, clock or whatever you want to call it is more accurate than our own.

Mayan Calendar Accuracy
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,717
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

The perfect gift you can give a Mayan this Christmas is........a new calendar!
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,614
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
the mayans didn't have leap year. y'all are scoffing 9 months too late.
Leap years do not matter to the Mayan Long Count calendar. It is not based on the sun or the moon. It simply counts days. This is why it is amazingly accurate, as mentioned above.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,618
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Happy Mayan New Year. Can't believe people butchered this wonderful occasion and labeled it the end times.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,727
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

^ Science rules yet again
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #21
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 11,998
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

The Mayan calender wasn't predicting the end of the world, moreso the end of an era. Just like when our calenders end on December 31st, their "eras" end on the 21st and then a new one begins.

Who knows why there wasn't another calender. People in other areas of the world (Latin America, Cuba, etc) had plans to celebrate this. Only us doomsdayers were fearing this.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,618
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
The Mayan calender wasn't predicting the end of the world, moreso the end of an era. Just like when our calenders end on December 31st, their "eras" end on the 21st and then a new one begins.

Who knows why there wasn't another calender. People in other areas of the world (Latin America, Cuba, etc) had plans to celebrate this. Only us doomsdayers were fearing this.
I'm to lazy to look it up again but apparently a bunch of conspiracy theorist originally pegged March 2003 to be the original 2012 with Planet Nibiru colliding with the Earth and destroying everything. When the date passed the movement somehow moved the collision date to 2012 and linked it to the Mayan Calender.

Planet X Nibiru is false as shifts date from 2003 to 2012 - News & Guide to Year 2012 - Just 2012 News and Views

They like to say that NASA is covering it up but with thousands of astronomers looking at the sky every night it would take a hell of a cover up.

Right now the biggest threat to us space wise is an asteroid named Apophis which is 5 times the size of the one that took out the Dinosaurs. It is projected to pass or hit us in 2029 and again in 2036 if it misses the first time. The chances though are really low like 2.7% at the highest and the second pass is much less likely to hit then first.

There's also a neighboring star that could have gone Super Nova centuries ago and if it exploded a certain way the radiation from said super nova would kill us due to excessive Gamma Radiation. Both doomday scenarios are very unlikely.

Nearby T Pyxidis Supernova Could Destroy Life on Earth | Popular Science

As far as Nibiru is concerned there's no evidence to suggest it even exist.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 12-24-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #23
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I'm to lazy to look it up again but apparently a bunch of conspiracy theorist originally pegged March 2003 to be the original 2012 with Planet Nibiru colliding with the Earth and destroying everything. When the date passed the movement somehow moved the collision date to 2012 and linked it to the Mayan Calender.

Planet X Nibiru is false as shifts date from 2003 to 2012 - News & Guide to Year 2012 - Just 2012 News and Views

They like to say that NASA is covering it up but with thousands of astronomers looking at the sky every night it would take a hell of a cover up.

Right now the biggest threat to us space wise is an asteroid named Apophis which is 5 times the size of the one that took out the Dinosaurs. It is projected to pass or hit us in 2029 and again in 2036 if it misses the first time. The chances though are really low like 2.7% at the highest and the second pass is much less likely to hit then first.

There's also a neighboring star that could have gone Super Nova centuries ago and if it exploded a certain way the radiation from said super nova would kill us due to excessive Gamma Radiation. Both doomday scenarios are very unlikely.

Nearby T Pyxidis Supernova Could Destroy Life on Earth | Popular Science

As far as Nibiru is concerned there's no evidence to suggest it even exist.
I do not buy that theory. That's exactly what it is, a theory. There is supporting evidence for it, but no undenyable proof. Most people just accept it as truth and move on because no one can come up with a better idea.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

The world ended and I missed it?
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #25
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,425
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Leap years do not matter to the Mayan Long Count calendar. It is not based on the sun or the moon. It simply counts days. This is why it is amazingly accurate, as mentioned above.
Yep.Like some have said,Mayans never predicted the end,thats someone elses bullshit.Also the Mayan calendar didnt even actually end,it just rolled over.I saw a clip from NASA that said think of the Mayan calendar like a cars odometer.It wasnt the end of the calendar,it was just time to roll over and start again
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
JUST LIVIN
 
htownskinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: houston,tx
Age: 52
Posts: 3,425
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
The Mayan calender wasn't predicting the end of the world, moreso the end of an era. Just like when our calenders end on December 31st, their "eras" end on the 21st and then a new one begins.

Who knows why there wasn't another calender. People in other areas of the world (Latin America, Cuba, etc) had plans to celebrate this. Only us doomsdayers were fearing this.
Oops,didnt see this post,I was saying basically the same thing
__________________
Ho
Lee
Chit
htownskinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,618
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHJ2 View Post
I do not buy that theory. That's exactly what it is, a theory. There is supporting evidence for it, but no undenyable proof. Most people just accept it as truth and move on because no one can come up with a better idea.
Apparently part of the theory is that Nibiru was invisible and couldn't be seen through telescopes.

However the thing is anything as remotely big as Nibiru is alleged to be would cause a lot of waves and disturbances to nearby stellar objects. So far no one has seen anything like that.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,059
Re: So Where Were You When The World Didn't End? A Scoff at the Mayan Calendar

Listening to my daughters laugh for the first time. I feel like it was time well spent.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Listening to my daughters laugh for the first time. I feel like it was time well spent.
That's awesome man. Kids sure do change things well they did for me anyway.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40372 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25