Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook


10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Playbook


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
The Starter
 
Redskin Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,420
10 Posts before you can start your own thread

OK Mods... if I am in the wrong forum, please move it and accept my apologies in advance:

I have noticed that several people have signed up for this site, and then very quickly just found 10 threads to put nothing comments on so they could start their own thread. Doesn't this seem counter productive to the original intent?

May I suggest one of the two modifications:

a. Let new members start a new thread immediately (which will get rid of posts such as (wish I was there) or (no coolest).

b. Have a 10 post, 7 day waiting period before they can start their own thread.
__________________
I really have nothing to say in this matter, please ignore the above post as blowing hot air.
Redskin Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Rich View Post
OK Mods... if I am in the wrong forum, please move it and accept my apologies in advance:

I have noticed that several people have signed up for this site, and then very quickly just found 10 threads to put nothing comments on so they could start their own thread. Doesn't this seem counter productive to the original intent?

May I suggest one of the two modifications:

a. Let new members start a new thread immediately (which will get rid of posts such as (wish I was there) or (no coolest).

b. Have a 10 post, 7 day waiting period before they can start their own thread.
Personally, I'd like to see that one. Also, maybe a quota system dependent upon longevity, i.e. if you've been a member for 1 month, you can only start 2-3 threads per month, if you've been on a year or more, no limit... etc.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
The Starter
 
Redskin Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,420
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Thanks for moving this.... So.... Matty..... what do you say..... can we get a change?
__________________
I really have nothing to say in this matter, please ignore the above post as blowing hot air.
Redskin Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,310
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Easier said than done. I don't have a way to implement something like that.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,310
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

I try to monitor newbies who seem to hit that 10 post mark too quickly. Usually it's pretty obvious when someone is trying to get around it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
The Starter
 
Redskin Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,420
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I try to monitor newbies who seem to hit that 10 post mark too quickly. Usually it's pretty obvious when someone is trying to get around it.
Yes, we just had the guy last night or this morning.

Can you raise the number high enough where it would make it seem not that easy to do... like maybe 100?

You have to forgive my lack of knowledge about these topics... I occasionally post on other sites, but this is the only one I spend any real time on.
__________________
I really have nothing to say in this matter, please ignore the above post as blowing hot air.
Redskin Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

I think the way we have it set up now is good. No matter what kind of limits Matty and Co. put in place, there will always be ways around it.

I noticed what RR and others are talikng about and when I did I knew the Mods would talke care of it pretty quick. They are supersmart.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,310
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Rich View Post
Yes, we just had the guy last night or this morning.

Can you raise the number high enough where it would make it seem not that easy to do... like maybe 100?

You have to forgive my lack of knowledge about these topics... I occasionally post on other sites, but this is the only one I spend any real time on.
100 would probably discourage too many people. I think 10 works pretty well and most newbies respect it and don't try to spam until they get around it. Those that do we usually deal with pretty quickly.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
The Starter
 
Redskin Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,420
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
I think the way we have it set up now is good. No matter what kind of limits Matty and Co. put in place, there will always be ways around it.

I noticed what RR and others are talikng about and when I did I knew the Mods would talke care of it pretty quick. They are supersmart.
OK... sucking up to the mods... can we get a 1 day suspension?????
__________________
I really have nothing to say in this matter, please ignore the above post as blowing hot air.
Redskin Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,143
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

maybe 25 or 30 posts then
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,996
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

I like the idea of making people wait a certain number of days before they can start a thread. If the number of pieces of flare... I mean posts is increased that just means people will just write even more meaningless filler posts.

If they have something that is so damn important that it just cannot wait they should PM a mod or someone else and ask them to start a thread. Either that, or just hijack an existing one like the rest of us
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

I doubt there's a perfect system.

Douchebags are going to slip through the cracks regardless, and that's why you have live, intelligent (eh?) moderators to handle what the automated system can't.
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Rich View Post
b. Have a 10 post, 7 day waiting period before they can start their own thread.
Dude, the waiting period to buy a gun is less than that.

Still, it ain't a bad idea if there was a way to do it.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 30
Posts: 2,119
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

We could concoct some sort of spelling/punctuation/grammar/intelligence test where new users have to score above like 80% to join.

Have them spell ten commonly misspelled words, identify the difference between a noun, a verb, an adverb and pronoun, some basic sentence structure questions and then a scaled-down IQ test of about 10 questions. Maybe also include a vBulletin primer that has to be viewed before they can post - stuff on how to search old posts and so on.

On second thought, can we administer this test retroactively to current members?
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: 10 Posts before you can start your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
We could concoct some sort of spelling/punctuation/grammar/intelligence test where new users have to score above like 80% to join.

Have them spell ten commonly misspelled words, identify the difference between a noun, a verb, an adverb and pronoun, some basic sentence structure questions and then a scaled-down IQ test of about 10 questions. Maybe also include a vBulletin primer that has to be viewed before they can post - stuff on how to search old posts and so on.

On second thought, can we administer this test retroactively to current members?
Weal thate wuold doo inn moost of use.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.41245 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25