Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook


Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Playbook


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #31
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,301
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
-What about when you're necessarily evil?
Negative rep points for not being evil to the point that it would be considered excessive and unnecessary.
:FIREdevil
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #32
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

How about 2 post counts - one for football forums and one for non-football forums. Of course, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,625
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
How about 2 post counts - one for football forums and one for non-football forums. Of course, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup.
Why? To what end?
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #34
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,671
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
How about 2 post counts - one for football forums and one for non-football forums. Of course, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup.
I don't really see the need for that quite honestly. As long as you (the collective you) follow the rules and add value to the board when you contribute you've got nothing to worry about.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #35
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Why? To what end?
Just offering a solution to the problem posed. Personally, I don't care.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #36
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Perfect solution. We need someone to write a program that allows users of this site to select whether or not they want any of their individual posts to count towards their total post count. That way the people who just want to be recognized for their insightful, well-reasoned posts can ensure we only notice those. Whereas the Those That Shall Not Be Named crowd can credit themselves for all of their posts and allow their self-esteem to grow, grOW, GROW.

Honestly, I'm totally embarrassed everytime I look at my post count because I definitely realize that after 2 years perhaps 35 of them are decent and credit worthy.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #37
Playmaker
 
BrudLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 3,494
Wink Re: Parking Lot Post Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A person's value to this board should not be measured by number of posts. If someone wants to be "rewarded" then write strong, well-reasoned posts and you'll probably get positive rep points. And even if you don't, I think we all know who the valuable members of this board are.

But I understand your frustration. You're thinking someone might see you with just a few hundred posts and wonder why they should listen to you, you n00b. But I'm telling you that you needn't worry so much about what others think....just what I think

Seriously though, quality not quantity. I don't mind posts counting, but don't think it's a must.
The number of posts doesn't have any bearing on the poster. Look at it this way - SmootSmack has over 19,000 posts, while I'm under 3,500. Is SmootSmack better than me? Yes, and measurably. But five times better? Not even close.

More upsetting than the Parking Lot posts not counting is that the top-secret moderators-only forum where we make fun of regular people doesn't count. That's not fair to us.
__________________
There's nowhere to go but up. Or down. I guess we could stay where we are, too.
BrudLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #38
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,059
Re: Parking Lot Post Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee View Post
The number of posts doesn't have any bearing on the poster. Look at it this way - SmootSmack has over 19,000 posts, while I'm under 3,500. Is SmootSmack better than me? Yes, and measurably. But five times better? Not even close.

More upsetting than the Parking Lot posts not counting is that the top-secret moderators-only forum where we make fun of regular people doesn't count. That's not fair to us.
can we get an behind the forum access to that?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #39
The Starter
 
Lady Brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Trinity, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 1,444
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

If post counts truly don't matter to people, then we should never see another milestone thread ever again. If I see a milestone thread, I'm going to assume the number of posts you have means something to you and you're essentially being a hypocrite when you say otherwise. Why should I congratulate you on something you deem to be insignificant? I didn't do a milestone thread when I hit 1000, because first of all, I didn't care and secondly, I didn't see the point in celebrating a year of overall mediocrity on my part.

The nuts and bolts of this argument is not about whether people think post count reflects a member's value to the site. It's about the "earthquake rule" and trying to deter a certain type of posting behavior. I'm just wondering if taking away the counts from the PL actually achieved its desired effect or not. If it didn't, then what's the harm in reinstating them?
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #40
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,059
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
If post counts truly don't matter to people, then we should never see another milestone thread ever again. If I see a milestone thread, I'm going to assume the number of posts you have means something to you and you're essentially being a hypocrite when you say otherwise. Why should I congratulate you on something you deem to be insignificant? I didn't do a milestone thread when I hit 1000, because first of all, I didn't care and secondly, I didn't see the point in celebrating a year of overall mediocrity on my part.

The nuts and bolts of this argument is not about whether people think post count reflects a member's value to the site. It's about the "earthquake rule" and trying to deter a certain type of posting behavior. I'm just wondering if taking away the counts from the PL actually achieved its desired effect or not. If it didn't, then what's the harm in reinstating them?
I love that the rule is named after me
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #41
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
If post counts truly don't matter to people, then we should never see another milestone thread ever again. If I see a milestone thread, I'm going to assume the number of posts you have means something to you and you're essentially being a hypocrite when you say otherwise. Why should I congratulate you on something you deem to be insignificant? I didn't do a milestone thread when I hit 1000, because first of all, I didn't care and secondly, I didn't see the point in celebrating a year of overall mediocrity on my part.

The nuts and bolts of this argument is not about whether people think post count reflects a member's value to the site. It's about the "earthquake rule" and trying to deter a certain type of posting behavior. I'm just wondering if taking away the counts from the PL actually achieved its desired effect or not. If it didn't, then what's the harm in reinstating them?
Good post.

Again I ask, what is the point of keeping track of posts at all? If posts don't matter, then why not get rid of all posts and rep points?
I just don't see why parking lot posts don't count, but posts about Redskins do. Even though this is a "redskins" site, there are plenty here with open minds and people that like to discuss issues other than football. Don't we all reward and enjoy posts that are thoughtful and insightful and enjoy diversity such as female posters / other team fans / other points of views? How come we look for this in the redskins sections, but not in other areas? Also, don't we get a post count for talking about the NBA / NASCAR / NHL or other sports even though this is a Redskins site (not sure if we do, but I thought we did)?
In short, we all come here cause we have 1 thing in common, love of the Redskins. We all have a deeper intellect than just football...why not give incentive to those for sharing that intellect?
Again, every post should count, or no post should count. It doesn't make sense to have some count and some don't. Either way, it doesn't matter to me, I come here cause I love the Skins, and I'll get caught up in some parking lot matters that become fun, but the more people that would come to the parking lot, the more fun and interesting this site would become.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.26780 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25