Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Panthers at Redskins) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=50133)

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 07:37 AM

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Panthers at Redskins)

We're baaaaaaack

Was going to save these for after the bye. But I think it's time because I've got a lot of smacking to do after Sunday's game

[B]Kyle Shanahan:[/B] There's no excuse for marching 80 some yards down the field, converting two 4th downs; ending up at the opponent's 2 yard line and getting nothing out of it. Kyle (and Bobby Turner too I suppose since he's work with Kyle on developing the goal-line offense) has done a poor job the past few weeks in the red zone. First I would have passed on second down. But that's just a pet peeve of mine I suppose, that we have to pass more on second down. Next, of all the people to give the ball to in a tight space (i.e inside the opponents 5 yard line) the last person I give the ball to is Brandon Banks. It's not like his shiftiness is going to make a difference. He's too small in that space. If you're going to keep Banks on the team, use him right. Use him no closer than the strike zone. Finally, I think we all saw from the start the 4th down play would fail. Just awful all around.

[B]Defense[/B] Was it the scheme, the play calling, the execution? Probably all of the above. But just as there was no excuse for marching down the field, converting two 4th downs and getting nothing out of it. There's no excuse for letting the opponent turn right around and easily go 98 yards for a TD. Tell me you didn't know as soon as we failed to convert that 4th down that Cam was going to take the Panthers down the field for 6. Something tells me that if the team had any faith in this defense, we may have taken the 3 points on the preceding drive.

[B]Josh Wilson[/B] What the eff man? What the effing eff?? Perhaps as bad a performance I've seen from a staring DB in a long time. First he gets erroneously called (looked like he was within five yards) on a PI, so as the announcers said right there he should know the refs (who were terrible) were not going to let the DBs be aggressive. But he ends up getting a blatant PI later in the game in the end zone, anyway. And on both plays into the end zone where Wilson was covering he didn't look once back toward the ball. I get it you look to the receiver's eye for a sign of the ball coming. But that doesn't mean you keep looking into his eyes. You're not out on a date. And then he tops it off with arguing with the ref when he should have been off the field? Wilson is a smart guy who should know better

[B]OJ Atogwe Love[/B] Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that someone who can't even get an NFL contract anywhere right now is going to answer our problems

[B]Evan Royster[/B] Never mind the running because clearly that's not his role-as evidenced as early as this summer I suppose when he practiced a lot at FB. For the second straight week his blocking has been extremely suspect. The offense can't work if guys like Royster aren't executing their blocks.

[B]Discipline[/B] How do you go from being one of the least penalized teams in the NFL one year to the most the next year? Makes no sense.

There are plenty more but we'll start with these

HailGreen28 11-05-2012 07:46 AM

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Panthers at Redskins)

How about Kyle not adjusting during this game? The Panthers were sitting on the inside slants all day. Teeing off on our receivers and we're lucky they didn't get INTs. No yards after catch on that route in this game. And we kept getting Morgan and Co. killed running that same route over and over again.

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 07:53 AM

The Panthers knew they could drop seven back because without Garcon/Davis and Moss out with a concussion we had no players who could get any sort of true separation. Maybe Aldrick Robinson.

KI Skins Fan 11-05-2012 07:59 AM

Amen, Brother SmootSmack! You preach the truth!

mooby 11-05-2012 08:04 AM

Giving the ball in general to Brandon Banks on third down when you know you need a touchdown. He has never done anything of note where he gets the ball behind the LOS and turns it into something. Bad playcall there and bad playcall on 4th down. I kept looking for a receiver standing in the back of the end zone but I couldn't believe they didn't give RG3 a pass option on that play. And to run it on the short side too? Just bad idea all around.

GTripp0012 11-05-2012 08:10 AM

I think going for it on fourth and goal (and to be clear, I still haven't seen the play) was the right call. There may be an issue with third and fourth down plays, allowing the quarterback to get us out of plays that can't work. But again, I haven't seen the play, so I'm not going to say "the call was awful."

Chico23231 11-05-2012 08:11 AM

You hit it all except Shanny press conference throwing in the towel looking like a effing prick

HailGreen28 11-05-2012 08:14 AM

[quote=mooby;961103]Giving the ball in general to Brandon Banks on third down when you know you need a touchdown. He has never done anything of note where he gets the ball behind the LOS and turns it into something. Bad playcall there and bad playcall on 4th down. I kept looking for a receiver standing in the back of the end zone but I couldn't believe they didn't give RG3 a pass option on that play. And to run it on the short side too? Just bad idea all around.[/quote]Banks did throw a touchdown against the Pats (last season :(). Agreed it was still a bad call. The RG3 4th down play, I didn't like that either. But if Royster isn't slow dancing with a CB on that play, RG3 might have scored.

mlmdub130 11-05-2012 08:16 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;961090]We're baaaaaaack

Was going to save these for after the bye. But I think it's time because I've got a lot of smacking to do after Sunday's game

[B]Kyle Shanahan:[/B] There's no excuse for marching 80 some yards down the field, converting two 4th downs; ending up at the opponent's 2 yard line and getting nothing out of it. Kyle (and Bobby Turner too I suppose since he's work with Kyle on developing the goal-line offense) has done a poor job the past few weeks in the red zone. First I would have passed on second down. But that's just a pet peeve of mine I suppose, that we have to pass more on second down. Next, of all the people to give the ball to in a tight space (i.e inside the opponents 5 yard line) the last person I give the ball to is Brandon Banks. It's not like his shiftiness is going to make a difference. He's too small in that space. If you're going to keep Banks on the team, use him right. Use him no closer than the strike zone. Finally, I think we all saw from the start the 4th down play would fail. Just awful all around.

[/quote]

couldnt agree more. kyle's play calling has gotten terrible. He can't seem to make simple adjustments in his game, which leads to us getting out coached. and why didn't they give the ball to morris on 3rd down at the goal line? he only had 13 touches, but managed to get 76 yards. How does he not see the ball 20 times?

Chico23231 11-05-2012 08:16 AM

SS glad you mention Josh Wilson to confirm what I saw yesterday. He is a canidate for "mailed it in." His play made D Hall look like Revis.

mlmdub130 11-05-2012 08:20 AM

[quote=Chico23231;961108]You hit it all except Shanny press conference throwing in the towel looking like a effing prick[/quote]

seriously what the hell was that all about? maybe if he did a better player evaluation during the offseason and preseason we wouldn't be here yet again? I'm not one that thinks firing him will do us any good right now, but he makes it harder and harder to like him when he says crap like that.

skinsfanmdc 11-05-2012 08:21 AM

Anyone think that the redskins should go for maybe a younger unproven coach if shanny does not workout? Also, in 2014 should the skins aim to draft another qb behind rg III? Cousins I'm assuming will be traded in the 2013 offseason. Do you really feel confident rg is going to be healthyhere. With that hit from Sunday I don't know. I would personally have kept that 6th pick and drafted tanny and draft someone in the 2nd. What do you think?

skinsfanmdc 11-05-2012 08:21 AM

[quote=Chico23231;961108]You hit it all except Shanny press conference throwing in the towel looking like a effing prick[/quote]

Completely dissapointed with that to.

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 08:23 AM

[quote=mlmdub130;961126]couldnt agree more. kyle's play calling has gotten terrible. He can't seem to make simple adjustments in his game, which leads to us getting out coached. and why didn't they give the ball to morris on 3rd down at the goal line? he only had 13 touches, but managed to get 76 yards. How does he not see the ball 20 times?[/quote]

Morris was hurt

KI Skins Fan 11-05-2012 08:25 AM

[quote=mooby;961103]Giving the ball in general to Brandon Banks on third down when you know you need a touchdown. He has never done anything of note where he gets the ball behind the LOS and turns it into something. Bad playcall there and bad playcall on 4th down. I kept looking for a receiver standing in the back of the end zone but I couldn't believe they didn't give RG3 a pass option on that play. And to run it on the short side too? Just bad idea all around.[/quote]

For the old time Redskins fans: That 4th down and goal play was straight out of the Joe Walton "They'll Never Expect Us To Do This Because It's So F***ing Stupid And That's Why It Will Work Playbook".

Again, for the old timers: What Brandon Banks did on the last play of the game was so f***ing ridiculous that it's like hasn't been seen since the days of Ricky Harris.

Notes for younger fans:

1. Joe Walton was the absolute worst Red Zone play-caller in the history of the Washington Redskins.

2. Ricky Harris was the Redskins' punt returner many years ago. He was best known for his propensity to run backwards, way backwards, on punt returns. Like Harris, Banks also used to be a punt and kickoff returner for the Redskins.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 08:26 AM

After the third and goal, I said I didn't like the fourth down play as they lined up. Poorly designed and executed.

To your list I'll add:
Tyler Polumbus-After getting praised by PFF and others for his improvement in pass blocking got simply dominated by Charles Johnson, collapsing the pocket with regularity yesterday. Any updates on Jammal Brown's progress? He was rumored to be targeting after the bye week to return to practice.

Aldrick Robinson-First play of the game, pass right through his hands. He's showing that he is not NFL caliber. He must be yet ANOTHER practice all star in the well worn tradition of too many WR who have revolved through Ashburn to name.

Ryan Kerrigan-My comments length will be a direct correlation to his impact yesterday. **crickets**

The officials-Not a reason we lost at all but several awful calls. The inadvertent whistle when Williams was at the 18 and he 'would have scored anyway' so they let it stand? The blow to the head call on Fletcher that was closer to mid chest? The holding on Williams when he extended his arm to push the rusher away from him? Some replacement official stink must have been on them.

SKINS73 11-05-2012 08:28 AM

The secondary is beyond suck, it's like a whole new level of suck. What I thought suck meant on Saturday changed dramatically to what I think suck means now when I say the secondary sucks. Can anyone explain to me why Reed Doughty is still playing? I know we need 11 guys on the defense but I really think anyone who has ever played safety would be an upgrade. D Hall and Wilson ugh. I honestly think Hall would be a decent Free Safety. Try the Wilson/Griffin CB combo with William and Hall at safety. Hall is just looking stupid when paired up with the opposing teams best WR.

Chico23231 11-05-2012 08:30 AM

[quote=SKINS73;961140]The secondary is beyond suck, it's like a whole new level of suck. What I thought suck meant on Saturday changed dramatically to what I think suck means now when I say the secondary sucks. Can anyone explain to me why Reed Doughty is still playing? I know we need 11 guys on the defense but I really think anyone who has ever played safety would be an upgrade. D Hall and Wilson ugh. I honestly think Hall would be a decent Free Safety. Try the Wilson/Griffin CB combo with William and Hall at safety. Hall is just looking stupid when paired up with the opposing teams best WR.[/quote]

100% on Shanny. Cant run from it.

KI Skins Fan 11-05-2012 08:32 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;961107]I think going for it on fourth and goal (and to be clear, I still haven't seen the play) was the right call. There may be an issue with third and fourth down plays, allowing the quarterback to get us out of plays that can't work. [B]But again, I haven't seen the play, so I'm not going to say "the call was awful[/B][B].[/B]"[/quote]

Just this once, can you trust us on this one? That play sucked!

irish 11-05-2012 08:33 AM

The Skins have to be the easiest team in the NFL to defense in the red zone. Everyone knows the only weapon the Skins have is RG3 so all a team has to do is focus the D on him because there's nobody else who's any kind of a threat. Its not the playcalling/coaching, its the lack of talent.

MTK 11-05-2012 08:40 AM

RG3 really misses Davis and Garcon. Nobody else at WR/TE have shown they are capable of stepping up and making plays on a regular basis.

SKINS73 11-05-2012 09:04 AM

[quote=Mattyk;961145]RG3 really misses Davis and Garcon. Nobody else at WR/TE have shown they are capable of stepping up and making plays on a regular basis.[/quote]

I think Paulsen has a lot of potential. Hanging onto the ball in the 4th quarter after getting crushed is something none of the WRs could dream of doing. Setting the example.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 09:04 AM

[quote=Mattyk;961145]RG3 really misses Davis and Garcon. Nobody else at WR/TE have shown they are capable of stepping up and making plays on a regular basis.[/quote]

This has been a major flaw for us for years. Why are we the only team in the NFL without a fade pattern in our playbook? Can't try a fade to Hankerson, Morgan or Dez Briscoe at least once? It used to be the excuse that we had smaller WR but now with size, what's our excuse? Let a guy make a play.

If Garçon is done for the year as some suspect, it will be a long 2nd half of the season for RG3 and the WR because safeties will start to creep closer to the line to take away that read throw. I saw Dallas run a scheme last night that could cause some issues where the MLB fakes a drop before peeling back to crush the underneath receiver.

skinsfaninok 11-05-2012 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Paintrain;961156]This has been a major flaw for us for years. Why are we the only team in the NFL without a fade pattern in our playbook? Can't try a fade to Hankerson, Morgan or Dez Briscoe at least once? It used to be the excuse that we had smaller WR but now with size, what's our excuse? Let a guy make a play.

If Garçon is done for the year as some suspect, it will be a long 2nd half of the season for RG3 and the WR because safeties will start to creep closer to the line to take away that read throw. I saw Dallas run a scheme last night that could cause some issues where the MLB fakes a drop before peeling back to crush the underneath receiver.[/QUOTE]

If garcon isn't back after the bye Griffin will get killed. He can't do it all and now our offense is starting to fade away

Slingin Sammy 33 11-05-2012 09:15 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;961090]

There are plenty more but we'll start with these[/quote]More on Shanny Jr. (and by default, Daddy too). Polumbus was getting his cookies took by CJ, where was the help, RB/TE, slide protect, quick passing game? Nothing, just Polumbus getting driven back into RG3's face play, after play, after play. F the Shannys, 3 1/2 years is enough of this crap. We can go 5-11 or 6-10 with anybody.

skinsfaninok 11-05-2012 09:34 AM

I'm with you Sammy, like I've said I loved the hire but after 3 seasons we are no better than we were under Jim Zorn, it's just not as embarrassing

SmootSmack 11-05-2012 09:35 AM

[quote=SKINS73;961155]I think Paulsen has a lot of potential. Hanging onto the ball in the 4th quarter after getting crushed is something none of the WRs could dream of doing. Setting the example.[/quote]

Paulsen's solid, but he just doesn't have the skills that Davis does

MTK 11-05-2012 09:36 AM

[quote=SKINS73;961155]I think Paulsen has a lot of potential. Hanging onto the ball in the 4th quarter after getting crushed is something none of the WRs could dream of doing. Setting the example.[/quote]

He's solid, he's just not as dynamic and not the runner that Davis is after the catch.

Evilgrin 11-05-2012 09:42 AM

Panthers drop 7 in coverage, and they know the skins pass protection is suspect on longer drops also. It's been that way all year, they don't do alot of longer drop backs. Kinda made our line look better then it is, by running so much and avoiding alot of pocket time?

It feels so limited, not sure how we ended up here. Paulsen has the best hands now?

firstdown 11-05-2012 09:50 AM

No was has mentioned that RGIII made his share of high passes and balls bouncing at guys feet. He stopped several drives on just bad passes to guys wide open.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 09:50 AM

[quote=Evilgrin;961187]Panthers drop 7 in coverage, and they know the skins pass protection is suspect on longer drops also. It's been that way all year, they don't do alot of longer drop backs. Kinda made our line look better then it is, by running so much and avoiding alot of pocket time?

It feels so limited, [B]not sure how we ended up here.[/B] Paulsen has the best hands now?[/quote]

It's relatively simple. Backups at WR, TE and RT are all playing starter level minutes without starter level ability. Injuries happen all across the league and we don't have the depth to compensate when they hit us.

Lotus 11-05-2012 09:51 AM

[quote=Slingin Sammy 33;961168]More on Shanny Jr. (and by default, Daddy too). Polumbus was getting his cookies took by CJ, where was the help, RB/TE, slide protect, quick passing game? Nothing, just Polumbus getting driven back into RG3's face play, after play, after play. F the Shannys, 3 1/2 years is enough of this crap. We can go 5-11 or 6-10 with anybody.[/quote]

I'm with you. The fact that Polumbus was regularly given no help is more galling than the dumb play calls. Kyle, when your RT struggles that much, you help him.

Paintrain 11-05-2012 09:52 AM

[quote=firstdown;961190]No was has mentioned that RGIII made his share of high passes and balls bouncing at guys feet. He stopped several drives on just bad passes to guys wide open.[/quote]

He had a bad day yesterday, no question. Passes behind his receivers and randomly high and low. Something to watch as the season goes on if he has hit the rookie 'wall' or if his mechanics are breaking down based on pressure.

44Deezel 11-05-2012 09:58 AM

[quote=HailGreen28;961092]How about Kyle not adjusting during this game? The Panthers were sitting on the inside slants all day. Teeing off on our receivers and we're lucky they didn't get INTs. No yards after catch on that route in this game. And we kept getting Morgan and Co. killed running that same route over and over again.[/quote]

Been saying for weeks that teams were eventually going to key in on that. When the Offense was clicking, it seemed like every pass was 10-15 yards to the middle of the field. They need to show they can work the sidelines and go over the top every now and again.

Also, have they run any draw plays or delays all year? When the Panthers pash rush got going, I thought we would counter with some draws, screens, etc. Instead, they kept dropping back taking sacks. Weak.

CrustyRedskin 11-05-2012 10:03 AM

How about Kyle calling a QB sweep on 4th and three at the GL to the[B][U] short side[/U][/B] of the field for goodness sakes!!Away from Trent Williams!!! With no passing option! But the front office just looooves Kyle.

44Deezel 11-05-2012 10:03 AM

[quote=Paintrain;961156]This has been a major flaw for us for years. Why are we the only team in the NFL without a fade pattern in our playbook? Can't try a fade to Hankerson, Morgan or Dez Briscoe at least once? It used to be the excuse that we had smaller WR but now with size, what's our excuse? Let a guy make a play.

If Garçon is done for the year as some suspect, it will be a long 2nd half of the season for RG3 and the WR because safeties will start to creep closer to the line to take away that read throw. I saw Dallas run a scheme last night that could cause some issues where the MLB fakes a drop before peeling back to crush the underneath receiver.[/quote]

Did we have a single ball cross the goal line through the air yesterday? They have to start throwing into the end zone. At least give yourself a chance at a PI call.

MTK 11-05-2012 10:04 AM

[quote=44Deezel;961201]Did we have a single ball cross the goal line through the air yesterday? They have to start throwing into the end zone. At least give yourself a chance at a PI call.[/quote]

A couple went to Hank, one deep and another one that got called back due to penalty.

Gary84Clark 11-05-2012 10:05 AM

Damn I don't wanna give up in the season. Can we cut one of the receivers and bring back Armstrong?

BigHairedAristocrat 11-05-2012 10:15 AM

Thanks for bringing back the smack, smoot! Officiating must also be added to the smack. Aside from not following the leagues definition of pass interference, the deangelo Williams touchdown was bogus. The ref blew the whistle. Skins players stopped trying to tackle him because of it. Yes the play whistle should not have been blown, but once it was, the play should have been over. That's the rule.

And no smack can be complete without mentioning rg3. His throws have been very innacurrate the pas two weeks. I don't know what's causing it, but his accuracy is normally one of the strongest aspects of the game.

skinsfan69 11-05-2012 10:17 AM

[quote=firstdown;961190]No was has mentioned that RGIII made his share of high passes and balls bouncing at guys feet. He stopped several drives on just bad passes to guys wide open.[/quote]

I mentioned this in another thread and that's why I say the jury is still out on him. And I don't want to hear about injuries. Luck is throwing to guys named Hilton and Avery. At times guys were open yesterday and he missed them.

Carolina rushed 4 guys yesterday, dropped 7 and made him find the open guy. I assume we're going to see a lot of this the rest of the way. WR screens and slants are fine, but QB's make their money on 3rd down by throwing into tight windows. We're the worst team in the NFL on 3rd down.