Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64319)

MTK 01-29-2019 05:21 PM

Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. -- The Washington Redskins announced on Tuesday that passing game coordinator Kevin O’Connell has been promoted to offensive coordinator. O’Connell has spent the past two seasons as the quarterbacks coach in 2017 and the passing game coordinator in 2018 for the Redskins.

[url]https://www.redskins.com/news/redskins-promote-kevin-o-connell-to-oc-matt-cavanaugh-asst[/url]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTK 01-29-2019 05:28 PM

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

Also, Jim Tomsula is back per JP Finlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinsfan69 01-29-2019 05:38 PM

Re: Redskins Promote Kevin O'Connell To Offensive Coordinator; Matt Cavanaugh Moves To Senior Offensive Assistant

The Redskins are great with giving people important titles.

BigHairedAristocrat 01-29-2019 05:39 PM

Dammit. Just when i'm in full on "I HATE THIS EFFING TEAM FOR CONSTANTLY SCREWING EVERYTHING UP AND MAKING BAD DECISIONS"-mode, they go and make two moves that I really, really like.

Also, last week, either Sheehan or JP mentioned that keeping Manusky was critical to having any hope of resigning Tomsula, as Tomsula was very loyal to Manusky. Tomsula evidently wanted to go elsewhere and had offers. I think Tomsula is hands down our best position coach, so I have to say if this is true, it definitely explains why the team was not quick to just fire him.

Regarding O'Connell, this is fantastic news. By all accounts, he's the closest thing we have to a Sean McVay on the staff, so keeping (and promoting) him was crucial. This definitely changes my attitude to some degree on how high we draft a QB this year. Knowing how highly Snyder values O'Connell, and that he might very well be promoted to HC if/when Jay gets fired, would ensure some consistency in our offensive scheme and make an easier transition for a rookie QB going into his second year.

Also, given the historic dysfunction of this franchise under Snyder, its highly unlikely we will EVER be able to attract the bright, rising, coaching talent to the team as a potential HC. Our best, long term, option might be to groom talent on our own staff and ensure that they don't walk out the door for opportunities elsewhere. A sense of loyalty/familiarity with the organization might be our only hope.

mooby 01-29-2019 05:47 PM

Good for O'Connell getting promoted but what exactly is a senior offensive assistant and how do you get promoted to that from offensive coordinator?

Who's calling plays? And how does the pecking order of HC - Senior Offensive Assistant - Offensive Coordinator work?

skinsfaninok 01-29-2019 06:29 PM

I like the moves, I bet they are drafting a QB for sure now. Young OC and young QB together

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chico23231 01-29-2019 06:33 PM

Jay offense needed a pick me up and some spark...hopefully o’connell can deliver.

Tomsula is great news as well.

Good day.

RedskinJake 01-29-2019 06:35 PM

Good deal.. I was convinced that we'd be looking at O'Connell as OC somewhere else in 2020 after someone other than the Redskins appreciated his talents. Good coach, possibly a bit early for him but should be the right move long term in keeping him around. Curious about the structure for him and Cavanaugh but we've seen this before with Al Saunders under Gibbs. Overall a positive move which comes as a shock..

jamf 01-29-2019 08:17 PM

Redskins chasing the ghost of Sean McVay with this move.
Terrible move, I wish they would blow this up already.

Wait, he is a Carlsbad/San Diego guy... OK he might not be so bad.

SFREDSKIN 01-29-2019 08:22 PM

Don't underestimate McConnell, he just might be the next McVay. I like the move a lot, going with the young creative former player.

Daseal 01-29-2019 09:09 PM

I mean, he did run the 28th best passing offense in the NFL. Really well deserved promotion!

Maybe he's a smart guy, but our passing offense was pathetic and predictable. If I never see another screen pass in DC I'll be happy.

CRedskinsRule 01-29-2019 09:09 PM

I hear all the good words, and accept them on their face.

My question though is if he was the qb coach what can he show as his effect. AS certainly didn't seem to benefit from him, nor did Sanchez. Seems like the Skins want to sell him as their next McVay but what can we as fans look at on the field to see it?

SFREDSKIN 01-29-2019 09:13 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1218113]I hear all the good words, and accept them on their face.

My question though is if he was the qb coach what can he show as his effect. AS certainly didn't seem to benefit from him, nor did Sanchez. Seems like the Skins want to sell him as their next McVay but what can we as fans look at on the field to see it?[/quote]

We don't we wait and see what he can do with guys not named Sanchez.

DYoungJelly 01-29-2019 09:15 PM

There was a discussion on twitter earlier that I agree with 100% and I"m going to extrapolate from what Cooley said a month or two ago before he was muzzled.

One of the most important consequences of this move may be a better meshing of the pass game with the run game.

Cooley blasted the offense on his podcast in the not so distant past because the running plays don't look anything like the passing plays so it is just stupid to try to run a play action offense off such disjointedness.

Callahan was the run game coordinator, and OC was the pass game coordinator.

The conversation on twitter (from folks I didn't recognize and don't really feel comfortable linking, I don't know if they have any cred, but I agree with them) was that OC as the offensive boss now will have the final call on the game plan and simplify the running game.

Cooley been a constant critic of how many different blocking schemes they use in the run game, and has suggest doing fewer well than many bad.

I'm really curious if he has any type of relationship with OC.

skinsfan69 01-29-2019 09:21 PM

[quote=DYoungJelly;1218115]There was a discussion on twitter earlier that I agree with 100% and I"m going to extrapolate from what Cooley said a month or two ago before he was muzzled.

One of the most important consequences of this move may be a better meshing of the pass game with the run game.

Cooley blasted the offense on his podcast in the not so distant past because the running plays don't look anything like the passing plays so it is just stupid to try to run a play action offense off such disjointedness.

Callahan was the run game coordinator, and OC was the pass game coordinator.

The conversation on twitter (from folks I didn't recognize and don't really feel comfortable linking, I don't know if they have any cred, but I agree with them) was that OC as the offensive boss now will have the final OC's game plan.

Cooley been a constant critic of how many different blocking schemes they use in the run game, and has suggest doing fewer well than many bad.

I'm really curious if he has any type of relationship with OC.[/quote]

We just need to blow this entire staff outta here. We need new leadership. We are not going anywhere with Gruden and Manusky.