Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ARE: "Zorn never had a real chance" (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=37351)

tryfuhl 07-19-2010 12:58 PM

Re: ARE: "Zorn never had a real chance"

[quote=SolidSnake84;713027]Im not absolving Zorn of blame totally. I really dont think that it was all his fault totally. It's just his general ineptitude coupled with the team problems as a whole doomed us.

Anyway, i'm so over 2009.[/quote]

In industry if somebody takes a position that's way above their head part of the problem lies with them. A larger part may lie with whomever hired him, but you need to respect the position that you're willing to accept. Zorn would have a hard time finding an OC job right now which honestly was a stretch with his initial hiring. He may be a fine QB coach if you attribute Charlie Batch and Matt Hasselbeck to him but there was nothing indicating that he was ready for the next step in my opinion.

Longtimefan 07-19-2010 01:01 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;712961]I also remember after Gibbs left, ARE said that Gibbs held the team back as well. So anyway, this isn't meant to bash Randle El. Just saying that he seems to have a lot to discuss, but perhaps not much to really say.

Anyhow, what's done is done. Good luck to Zorn in Baltimore, Randle El in Pittsburgh, and Hail to the Redskins![/quote]

You know this article appears a little strange to me. I can't remember just where, but recently I read where RE actually praised the Redskin organization and the coaching staff, chalked their lack of a better winning percentage on thing out of their control [like injuries] etc.

I'll say this for RE, he may have fallen short of everyone's expectations, but he never trashed his teammates.

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-19-2010 01:56 PM

[quote=dblanch66;712999]Dan and Vinny were hoping to strike it lucky and pull an inexperienced assistant like Zorn and watch him develop into another Joe Gibbs. The difference is that Joe was brought in by Bobby and Jack. They kinda knew what they were doing.[/quote]

Very good point. Vinny and Dan, as a team, were gamblers who would basically flip a coin and hope for success.

mredskins 07-19-2010 02:23 PM

All Zorn did was erase erase Steve Spurrier as the worst coach in Redskin history.

SolidSnake84 07-19-2010 02:25 PM

[quote=mredskins;713108]All Zorn did was erase erase Steve Spurrier as the worst coach in Redskin history.[/quote]

I dont think Zorn was THAT bad....come on guys

MTK 07-19-2010 02:32 PM

I'm really done with rehashing the Zorn era, but the guy was pretty damn bad. I still think Spurrier was worse, simply because Spurrier wasn't a NFL guy and didn't want to put in the work, but Zorn was pretty much a joke of a head coach in many ways.

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-19-2010 03:31 PM

Spurrier was the worst ever, as he was so out of his league it wasn't even funny. The same could be said for Zorn, but at least he put in the work to try and get better. He also was always an NFL guy. Spurrier was a guy who loved golf, not the NFL. :)

artmonkforhallofamein07 07-19-2010 08:43 PM

Cooley wieghed in as well with the Washington Post.

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/07/cooley_says_zorn_lost_the_lock.html]D.C. Sports Bog - Cooley says Zorn lost the locker room[/url]

tryfuhl 07-19-2010 09:24 PM

quiet offseason so far for Cooley

any insight to what's behind that?

skinsfan69 07-19-2010 10:33 PM

we've got a professional NFL head coach so really no need to talk about zorn. it's over and done with.

Hog1 07-19-2010 11:15 PM

[quote=SolidSnake84;713110]I dont think Zorn was THAT bad....come on guys[/quote]

To his credit....JZ had help (idiot VC) with his ineptitude.
Spurrier did it on his own.......

SBXVII 07-20-2010 11:36 AM

Not sure how an owner can hinder the horrid scheme or play calls, but what I'd really like to know is how DS effected ARE's unproductiveness?

Mechanix544 07-20-2010 11:41 AM

Zorn was bad, but not Spurrier bad..........and you have to wonder, if he had bruce allen instead of vinny at the helm, would he have been more successful? I think the answer in short would be yes. But, noone in the NFL cares about circumstances, its all about the bottom line, and in that sense, he failed.

GTripp0012 07-20-2010 11:58 AM

[quote=SBXVII;713217]Not sure how an owner can hinder the horrid scheme or play calls, but what I'd really like to know is how DS effected ARE's unproductiveness?[/quote]I think horrid play calls is a lot of revisionist history, re: Zorn. Situationally, the play calls were fine.

Ultimately, the Zorn playbook didn't have enough plays designed to attack opponents major weaknesses, which hardly mattered on a game-to-game basis, but over two years, the lack of big plays really added up. He had 1,000 different ways to convert a 3rd and 5 (all of which involves the necessity to block a three man rush with five guys), but too often, Zorn's best 1st and 10 (or 2nd and 3) play was a stretch run from a power formation. This figures to not be a problem with either Shanahan, and particularly with McNabb and play action.

MTK 07-20-2010 12:00 PM

Yeah I would say Zorn's offense lacked imagination and was very vanilla more than anything.