Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Job Hunting Advice... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16665)

jsarno 01-04-2007 10:35 PM

Re: Job Hunting Advice...

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;267209]Yeah, I understand with me going to dayshift would be nice but here is the thing, I have two girls that are 1 year and 3year old plus a 5 year old boy who is in all day kindergarten. I would be taking a $1.50 and hour cut then turn around and find a babysitter for my children which will cost about $300 to $400 more amonth that I do not currently have now....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your mind is already made.
Do whatever it takes to spend time with family. If that means keeping your current job, so be it...if that means getting a new one, then so be it.
Again I say, life is not about money. I'd sell most everything I own to afford children...you have been blessed with 3. If it benefits them, then go for it.

Redskins8588 01-04-2007 11:26 PM

I watch my children during the day and then when my wife comes home from work I go to bed and she takes over. I am not so sure that I would be spending more time with my children if I went to the new job because I would be working days. Where as in 5 years my youngest will be in kindergarten and then I can sleep while everyone is at work and school then be up with them when they get home.

I would like this new job dont get me wrong but I just can afford to take that big of a pay cut right now in my career. And when I was asking about it being professional for them to offer me less $$ than what I am currently making, I guess I was looking at it like this, after 3 years experinece all it got me on the outside was a $1.50 pay cut. Now you also have to understand at this new job they are developing this position that I am being offered so they do not have anyone there yet with the background and experience that I have.

Plus I would be loosing my vision and dental insurance and I would not have any insurance on me or my family until 4-1-07, and having 3 little kids I am not so sure I can go that long without coverage. And as for the vision and dental both my son and wife require glasses and as far as dental both me and my wife had braces when we were younger so who knows what kind of mess our childrens teeth may be like.

I would like the job and I have a meeting tomorrow with the HR lady and I have a boat full of questions for her so maybe something can be worked out but then again who knows...

BDBohnzie 01-05-2007 10:32 AM

Good luck to you, but I have a feeling you're going to pass on the job offer.

The company is going to lowball you to an extent. They want the best capable person for the least amount of money possible. However, they probably figure you are going to want to ask for more than you are curently making, and would probably settle on a figure just at, or a bit more than you are making now.

However, for the situation you are in...and instead of having to foot the entire insurance bill for 2-3 months (COBRA), I'd stay put.

Redskins8588 01-05-2007 12:22 PM

Well I meet with the HR lady today a 3:30 to further discuss the offer, but as of now there really is no way that I can take the job. If I did, I would need a babysitter and then it would be like someone else is raising my children. But who knows what will happen...

jsarno 01-05-2007 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;267303]I watch my children during the day and then when my wife comes home from work I go to bed and she takes over. I am not so sure that I would be spending more time with my children if I went to the new job because I would be working days. Where as in 5 years my youngest will be in kindergarten and then I can sleep while everyone is at work and school then be up with them when they get home.

I would like this new job dont get me wrong but I just can afford to take that big of a pay cut right now in my career. And when I was asking about it being professional for them to offer me less $$ than what I am currently making, I guess I was looking at it like this, after 3 years experinece all it got me on the outside was a $1.50 pay cut. Now you also have to understand at this new job they are developing this position that I am being offered so they do not have anyone there yet with the background and experience that I have.

Plus I would be loosing my vision and dental insurance and I would not have any insurance on me or my family until 4-1-07, and having 3 little kids I am not so sure I can go that long without coverage. And as for the vision and dental both my son and wife require glasses and as far as dental both me and my wife had braces when we were younger so who knows what kind of mess our childrens teeth may be like.

I would like the job and I have a meeting tomorrow with the HR lady and I have a boat full of questions for her so maybe something can be worked out but then again who knows...[/QUOTE]

In terms of professionalism, that is debatable. The company is likely smaller and is offering what they can afford. Kind of like in Baseball when the Yankees go against the Royals for a free agent. The Royals will offer what they can, but in the end, the Yanks will throw their pocket change (millions on millions) to make the deal work.
I would come up with a figure in my mind of what I would need, and counter offer them. I did this exact thing with my current company and earned me an extra 5k a year. They will always offer what they want, then you need to tell them what you want, sometimes you meet in the middle, sometimes they agree right away...but negotiation is always a good thing.

saden1 01-05-2007 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;267478]In terms of professionalism, that is debatable. The company is likely smaller and is offering what they can afford. Kind of like in football when the [B]Redskins[/B] go against the [B]Cardinals[/B] for a free agent. The [B]Cardinals[/B] will offer what they can, but in the end, the [B]Redskins [/B]will throw their pocket change (millions on millions) to make the deal work.
I would come up with a figure in my mind of what I would need, and counter offer them. I did this exact thing with my current company and earned me an extra 5k a year. They will always offer what they want, then you need to tell them what you want, sometimes you meet in the middle, sometimes they agree right away...but negotiation is always a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Or are we not that bad yet?