Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Joe Gibbs Back to Racing...Back to Winning (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22579)

SmootSmack 02-16-2008 03:37 PM

Joe Gibbs Back to Racing...Back to Winning

Tony Stewart takes the checkered flag and Kyle Busch finishes 2nd in Daytona as Joe Gibbs Racing revs up the 2008 NASCAR Nationwide Series

Not a bad start for JGR and Toyota eh Jsarno? ;)

(let's see how they do tomorrow at the 500)

jsarno 02-16-2008 11:25 PM

Re: Joe Gibbs Back to Racing...Back to Winning

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;422985]Tony Stewart takes the checkered flag and Kyle Busch finishes 2nd in Daytona as Joe Gibbs Racing revs up the 2008 NASCAR Nationwide Series

Not a bad start for JGR and Toyota eh Jsarno? ;)

(let's see how they do tomorrow at the 500)[/QUOTE]

I don't really follow the nationwide series, just Sprint. To win in the minor leagues doesn't impress me. To win when it matters does.
Although, I do admit, they are looking strong right now...the COT really helped this conversion more than I thought.

SmootSmack 02-16-2008 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;423132]I don't really follow the nationwide series, just Sprint. To win in the minor leagues doesn't impress me. To win when it matters does.
Although, I do admit, they are looking strong right now...the COT really helped this conversion more than I thought.[/QUOTE]

Nationwide matters. Paid my bills for a year and a half

But I hear ya, tomorrow should be fun. Yes, the COT and JGR's deep pockets and skilled engineers is definitely helping the transition. Of course, that's what I told you last year ;)

jsarno 02-17-2008 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;423140]Nationwide matters. Paid my bills for a year and a half

But I hear ya, tomorrow should be fun. Yes, the COT and JGR's deep pockets and skilled engineers is definitely helping the transition. Of course, that's what I told you last year ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL...yes you did. However, the season hasn't started yet. That's like getting all excited when the Skins go 4-1 in the preseason and score the most points in preseason history (like Spurrier's first season).
I don't expect to see that kind of collapse, but you never know.

I didn't mean to belittle nationwide, just saying it's the minor leagues, Sprint cup is where it's at and where I focus my attention. I did not set the DVR to record todays event even though I have like 80 available hours of space...but I am sure as hell setting the DVR for tomorrow's race...the one where Jeff Gordon takes the checkered. :D

Fact is, I am concerned that Stewart will challenge Hendrick's this year more than I am hoping for. Gibbs racing is looking good.

bigm29 02-17-2008 01:17 PM

Go Gibbs cars!! and y hasnt the race started yet?? what happened to the days when it went green at 1pm this is bullsh**

4mrusmc 02-17-2008 02:30 PM

So much for JG staying at home more to be with his family. I guess that was a bunch of crap to get out of coaching football. But, what he does with his time is his buisiness.

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=4mrusmc;423343]So much for JG staying at home more to be with his family. I guess that was a bunch of crap to get out of coaching football. But, what he does with his time is his buisiness.[/QUOTE]

Not a bunch of crap at all. His team's headquarters are in North Carolina, and so is home. Plus his son is the President of JGR, his other son runs their motocross unit. And going to some races here and there is not the same as working 15 hour days 6-7 days a week at Redskin Park.

skinsfan_nn 02-17-2008 03:20 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;423348]Not a bunch of crap at all. His team's headquarters are in North Carolina, and so is home. Plus his son is the President of JGR, his other son runs their motocross unit. And going to some races here and there is not the same as working 15 hour days 6-7 days a week at Redskin Park.[/quote]

All good points. I'm ready for the great American race to get rollin!

Its hard now for me to root for JGR with the change to yotas. I'm the biggest JG fan. But, my race car I pulling for has to be pushin a Chevy.

But I only wish JGR the VERY BEST!

Skins fan 44 02-17-2008 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=bigm29;423324]Go Gibbs cars!! and y hasnt the race started yet?? what happened to the days when it went green at 1pm this is bullsh**[/QUOTE]

No kidding it sucks waiting all afternoon for the race to get started. It all is a show with the pre race show and all. It is probably something about thinking they can get better ratings if they do it which is BS. It is odd seeing the race finish when it is dark.

jsarno 02-17-2008 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Skins fan 44;423378]No kidding it sucks waiting all afternoon for the race to get started. It all is a show with the pre race show and all. It is probably something about thinking they can get better ratings if they do it which is BS. It is odd seeing the race finish when it is dark.[/QUOTE]

It's worked for me. I celebrated my wife's b-day today...I made sure to record it on the DVR (says start was noon here in mountain time) and I just got home and sure enough the race hasn't even started yet...as of right now they still haven't started. LOL. That's 1:45 minutes after they said it would start.

jsarno 02-17-2008 03:42 PM

We are now under way!!!!!

jsarno 02-17-2008 03:43 PM

Was it possibly under a rain delay???

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 03:50 PM

No, green flag was always scheduled to be around 3:30p. Just like last year

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;423386]It's worked for me. I celebrated my wife's b-day today...I made sure to record it on the DVR (says start was noon here in mountain time) and I just got home and sure enough the race hasn't even started yet...as of right now they still haven't started. LOL. That's 1:45 minutes after they said it would start.[/QUOTE]

Today's your wife's birthday?

Skins fan 44 02-17-2008 03:51 PM

No delay just that is what time they start the race now.

skinsfan_nn 02-17-2008 03:52 PM

[quote=jsarno;423389]Was it possibly under a rain delay???[/quote]

Just got home around 30 minutes or so ago from the gym, but I didn't hear anything about any delay.

Skins fan 44 02-17-2008 03:55 PM

I saw Coach Gibbs yesterday and he really seemed like he was really at ease. They showed him in the pits and he had a big smile on his face during the race. Of course his cars were in 1st and 2nd so that probably had a lot to do with it.

jsarno 02-17-2008 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;423395]Today's your wife's birthday?[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow is. I don't work sunday's, but I have to work every monday no matter what...that's when all the numbers are due. So we celebrated today.

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;423407]Tomorrow is. I don't work sunday's, but I have to work every monday no matter what...that's when all the numbers are due. So we celebrated today.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. I was gonna say isn't it something that your wife and Quake share the same birthday

jsarno 02-17-2008 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;423412]Oh ok. I was gonna say isn't it something that your wife and Quake share the same birthday[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it was his b-day...I'll have to send him a PM.

skinsfan_nn 02-17-2008 07:21 PM

Ryan Newman would not have predicted that one, heck of a finish and had the push. The two dodges blew by the yotas like they were sitting still. I was really surprised with 1 to go smoke couldn't get it done. A lot of cautions down the last 20, but a good race.

Dodge is off to a hot start!

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 07:30 PM

Interesting that it came down to Penske vs. JGR after Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart got into it last week. Happy for Newman. Definitely wanted a JGR driver (preferably Stewart) to win, but I think they showed without a doubt that even with Toyotas they can compete with the big boys.

Ideally, top three would have included Kyle Busch and Tony. Stewart, but I was kind of rooting for Jeff Burton to win the 500 as he was leading down the stretch. He's one of the best people you'll ever meet and he definitely deserves it

BDBohnzie 02-17-2008 07:34 PM

Crazy race. Kyle Busch had the strongest car all day. When it came down to it, Newman and Kurt Busch made a huge push at the end. Shame Stewart couldn't hold them off. DW made the statement about the new cars, saying teammates and teamwork is going to be a huge factor this year...Busch and Newman made a huge case for him today.

jsarno - my condolences to you and Gordon's 39th place finish.

drew54 02-17-2008 08:04 PM

Dodges Dominate the top 10. 1,2,4,5,6, & 7.

MOPAR is Back!

Skinsfan1967 02-17-2008 08:07 PM

New cars with a 3rd and 4th place finish is pretty good. By the time the cars are rebuilt for racing is there anything left of the original maker?

jsarno 02-17-2008 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;423476]Crazy race. Kyle Busch had the strongest car all day. When it came down to it, Newman and Kurt Busch made a huge push at the end. Shame Stewart couldn't hold them off. DW made the statement about the new cars, saying teammates and teamwork is going to be a huge factor this year...Busch and Newman made a huge case for him today.

[b]jsarno - my condolences to you and Gordon's 39th place finish.[/b][/QUOTE]

Thank you sir...kind of sucked to see him at the top the whole race, then fell back to 20th only to see him call it a day due to something I am still not totally sure of.

Dodge really had a great show...I have a feeling more and more luck will be involved in these new cars and we'll see completely random winners every week. The COT has leveled the playing field.

ps- since no one has mention it, what was the deal with Montoya bumping Bowyer out of the race and no one up in arms? Montoya could have easily went around him, but stayed in his line and knocked him out. Someone needs to knock that jerk senseless.

SmootSmack 02-17-2008 11:57 PM

I don't know. That looked to me like he had nowhere to go and Kyle Busch was breathing down his back.

jsarno 02-18-2008 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;423524]I don't know. That looked to me like he had nowhere to go and Kyle Busch was breathing down his back.[/QUOTE]

Busch was there, that's for sure, but it almost seemed like slow motion when he hit him...there was plenty of time to move the 8 inches to the left and he didn't. It wasn't like Tony wrecking that guy (I forgot who at this point), that was bang bang and there was nothing Tony could do (for as much as I would LOVE to blame tony). Montoya could have avoided that easily.

Look at how Kurt avoided being hit by Jr., and he had A LOT less time to react.

SmootSmack 02-18-2008 12:08 AM

If he had moved to the left wouldn't he have dipped below the infield line?

jsarno 02-18-2008 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;423529]If he had moved to the left wouldn't he have dipped below the infield line?[/QUOTE]

No...he had plenty of room. That's what I'm saying.

Stuck in TX 03-09-2008 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=drew54;423482]Dodges Dominate the top 10. 1,2,4,5,6, & 7.

MOPAR is Back![/QUOTE]

wooow Dodge is finally good for something! I used to sell cars and we couldnt GIVE away anything made by Chrysler. At first I wasnt a big fan of Toyota but they are looking pretty good too. I am officially on Kyle Bush's bandwagon. Used to love Mark Martin but now that he is gone I will be fully deticated to JGR!!!!!!!

jsarno 03-09-2008 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=Stuck in TX;430558]wooow Dodge is finally good for something! I used to sell cars and we couldnt GIVE away anything made by Chrysler. At first I wasnt a big fan of Toyota but they are looking pretty good too. I am officially on Kyle Bush's bandwagon. Used to love Mark Martin but now that he is gone I will be fully deticated to JGR!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

The more you see all these cars, the more I see that the COT levels the playing field more so than any cars EVER. There is basically nothing different between the toyota's, chevy's, fords, or dodge's.

Skinsfan1967 03-09-2008 07:09 PM

I smell an Owners Cup!! Go Joe Gibbs Racing!!!

SmootSmack 03-10-2008 02:16 AM

Great weekend for Toyota and JGR (why was there no new thread devoted to this :) )

BDBohnzie 03-10-2008 10:06 AM

For the 2nd week in a row, I barely caught any of the race. Damn family commitments. But what I did catch of the race, Kyle Busch looks like a force to be reckon with.

jsarno - I completely agree with you, with the playing field has been completely leveled thanks to the COT. It seems that Toyota has really put together a nice engine for this car, considering how strong both Kyle and Tony have been all year. The one thing missing is Denny Hamlin is struggling a bit compared to how strong he was his first 2 years.

jsarno 03-10-2008 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;430714]Great weekend for Toyota and JGR (why was there no new thread devoted to this :) )[/QUOTE]

Cause Hendricks is not winning. :D

jsarno 03-10-2008 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie;430738]For the 2nd week in a row, I barely caught any of the race. Damn family commitments. But what I did catch of the race, Kyle Busch looks like a force to be reckon with.

jsarno - I completely agree with you, with the playing field has been completely leveled thanks to the COT. It seems that Toyota has really put together a nice engine for this car, considering how strong both Kyle and Tony have been all year. The one thing missing is Denny Hamlin is struggling a bit compared to how strong he was his first 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Kyle is looking GREAT! Him and Edwards have been lights out this season thus far.