Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Come up with a new name for the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64635)

BaltimoreSkins 07-10-2020 01:42 PM

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

[quote=AnonEmouse;1254612]Well if you want to get picky, there is no such animal as a [B]Seahawk[/B].

And I'm curious if the name William is exclusive enough to Buffalo?

How native are Bengal Tigers to Cincinnati?[/quote]

We call them osprey or bay hawks in the Chesapeake area

irish 07-10-2020 01:51 PM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1254606]I wouldn't if I thought there was any chance we could keep the name, or keep a NA related name and have it work out.

But I don't think there is anymore. And I'm not gonna quit football. Nor am I gonna root for another team. So I might as well get on board with what I feel is more exciting.

But I completely understand where you are. I had similar thoughts a couple of days ago.
I just need a kick of excitement to get out of this feeling that it will never be the same...[/quote]

Good point French. This name change is going to be a much needed energy boost to what has essentially become a dead franchise.

Its the same team, the same coaches with a different name. I don't understand why people would abandon ship just because the name changed.

JackLord 07-10-2020 02:00 PM

[quote=irish;1254617]Good point French. This name change is going to be a much needed energy boost to what has essentially become a dead franchise.

Its the same team, the same coaches with a different name. I don't understand why people would abandon ship just because the name changed.[/quote]

Since you asked ...

First of all, you are right. It is the same organization and in the same place. Loyalties should transfer seamlessly, all things being equal.

But ... there is still the issue of Snyder. I honestly wonder if the franchise will ever flourish under him. The man shows signs of ascending the learning curve and then reverts back to arrogance.

The Redskins- with their traditions and timelessness- kept me interested. Now that will be gone.

Also factor in that there are other ignoble things happening in the NFL and it is against all this that jumping ship becomes tempting.

That is just my pov and I am yet undecided. Ultimately, you are correct.

OnceWeWereKings 07-10-2020 02:01 PM

[quote=irish;1254617]Good point French. This name change is going to be a much needed energy boost to what has essentially become a dead franchise.

Its the same team, the same coaches with a different name. I don't understand why people would abandon ship just because the name changed.[/quote]

And let's not forget that the curse *should* be lifted.

MTK 07-10-2020 02:05 PM

Honestly it's a good excuse to bail as a fan if you're tired of Snyder and see no hope on the horizon. I loved the Rivera hire but if you go on history alone the odds lean heavily against him and in 5 years we'll be back to looking for a new HC. We've seen good coaches come and go and nobody has put together a winning record here. Odds are Rivera won't do it either.

MTK 07-10-2020 02:06 PM

[quote=OnceWeWereKings;1254619]And let's not forget that the curse *should* be lifted.[/quote]

The curse is the owner.

OnceWeWereKings 07-10-2020 02:08 PM

[quote=MTK;1254622]The curse is the owner.[/quote]

Potato potato. Haha

skinsfaninok 07-10-2020 02:15 PM

[quote=MTK;1254620]Honestly it's a good excuse to bail as a fan if you're tired of Snyder and see no hope on the horizon. I loved the Rivera hire but if you go on history alone the odds lean heavily against him and in 5 years we'll be back to looking for a new HC. We've seen good coaches come and go and nobody has put together a winning record here. Odds are Rivera won't do it either.[/quote]

That's why I'm seriously considering it because as long as Dan is owning the team nothing will really change. I just don't know who I'd root for

JackLord 07-10-2020 02:23 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254624]That's why I'm seriously considering it because as long as Dan is owning the team nothing will really change. I just don't know who I'd root for[/quote]

Same here.

I am no paragon of virtue, but I am loyal. I hated the Bullets>Wizards change, but they are still my team. I grew up an Os fan but being a DC boy, could not reject the Nats. So I root for them both which gets awkward when they play each other.

I like the Rams and the Packers but I have no roots in either place.

Our best chance was when the Ravens appeared.:embarrass

skinsfaninok 07-10-2020 02:32 PM

[quote=JackLord;1254625]Same here.

I am no paragon of virtue, but I am loyal. I hated the Bullets>Wizards change, but they are still my team. I grew up an Os fan but being a DC boy, could not reject the Nats. So I root for them both which gets awkward when they play each other.

I like the Rams and the Packers but I have not roots in either.

Our best chance was when the Ravens appeared.[/quote]

Grew up in southern MS , so the Saints would prob be my new team

JackLord 07-10-2020 02:37 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254626]Grew up in southern MS , so the Saints would prob be my new team[/quote]

Not a bad option.

skinsfaninok 07-10-2020 02:47 PM

[quote=JackLord;1254627]Not a bad option.[/quote]

Have always rooted for them to do well , so we'll see. I am hoping for the Redwolves and a fresh start.

MTK 07-10-2020 02:50 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254626]Grew up in southern MS , so the Saints would prob be my new team[/quote]

Been to New Orleans several times and I've always rooted for them on the side. Great city and football town. They love their Saints and LSU Tigers.

skinsfaninok 07-10-2020 02:52 PM

[quote=MTK;1254629]Been to New Orleans several times and I've always rooted for them on the side. Great city and football town. They love their Saints and LSU Tigers.[/quote]

Yes they do, the city itself is rough and stinks like beer and piss but the people are awesome.

JackLord 07-10-2020 03:05 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254630]Yes they do, the city itself is rough and stinks like beer and piss but the people are awesome.[/quote]

Oh yea. Great place. Lots of fun.

irish 07-10-2020 03:44 PM

[quote=MTK;1254620]Honestly it's a good excuse to bail as a fan if you're tired of Snyder and see no hope on the horizon. I loved the Rivera hire but if you go on history alone the odds lean heavily against him and in 5 years we'll be back to looking for a new HC. We've seen good coaches come and go and nobody has put together a winning record here. Odds are Rivera won't do it either.[/quote]

I agree. RR was a barely above 500 (.546) head coach with a team that's not even close to being as screwed up as this one. I doubt he does much here and will be another coaching washout like all the rest. If Haskins is a bust he wont last 5 years.

I think the name change will inject a shot of energy into the organization and fanbase but it will only be a temporary boost. Ultimately the team has to win and as long as Snyder is at the top winning wont happen.

skinsfaninok 07-10-2020 03:48 PM

[url]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/10/report-new-washington-name-coming-as-soon-as-possible/[/url]

skinsfan69 07-10-2020 04:57 PM

The team is going to have to win now in order for me to stay invested. If they start losing I will completely check out, maybe for good. We shall see, but I really like or young nucleus.

mooby 07-10-2020 07:08 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1254637]The team is going to have to win now in order for me to stay invested. If they start losing I will completely check out, maybe for good. We shall see, but I really like or young nucleus.[/quote]

Ultimatums always work out so well.

"Win, or I'm leaving."

sdskinsfan2001 07-10-2020 07:32 PM

I'll never be able to psyche myself into rooting for another team anywhere near this level. Redwolves or bust for me. Spending the rest of my life with these bastards.

Meks 07-10-2020 08:11 PM

Chicago Blackhawks refusing to change name because team is named after a real life native American ..... Cool. I echo my most recent post, they, whoever they may be or whoever wants to jump in for their shot at 15 minutes, have been out to destroy this franchise since day one. Fuck em all. Keep the name.

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 12:11 PM

I've decided on the Dolphins as my choice, my twin brother is a lifelong fan so they've always been a team I root for. Lived in Florida some as a kid and still go there every yr for family. I'll stick around here for sure because you ALL have really been the main reason I've stuck with this piss poor organization. I, like many here have been in disgust with Dan Snyder for YEARS and without him selling the team I just don't see anything changing. Ron Rivera seems like a good hire but we've seen this with greater coaches than him in the past.. The PROBLEM is DAN, FEDEX is a dump , the constant losing is mind boggling to me, the Bruce era was a disaster , Kirk / RG3 all of it. This is like a marriage to me that is coming to an end, I love this team that much but guys I just can't envision myself being a true fan of the "Redwolves" or "Warriors" etc. JP Finlay said it best on his IG that "I'll always cherish the years as a fan of this team" I will too, hell I even have the R tatted on me. HTTR for life but I'm 90% sure I'm moving on. If you guys hate on me for it, I understand but again I'll stick around here.

BaltimoreSkins 07-11-2020 01:03 PM

[url]https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/11/kevin-durant-dwayne-haskins-redwolves/[/url]

Haskins changes his vote

Warthog 07-11-2020 01:56 PM

It seems like REDWOLVES is becoming the fan favorite.

Great imagery
No NA association - which is what their leaders wanted
B & G
Great Mascot
Use HTTR, with some new words OR
COME up with a new song
Break from the path
Both retired and new players like it
Fans are excited

I Love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTK 07-11-2020 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;1254637]The team is going to have to win now in order for me to stay invested. If they start losing I will completely check out, maybe for good. We shall see, but I really like or young nucleus.[/QUOTE]

If you’ve hung on this long you’re not going anywhere lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdmundDorf 07-11-2020 02:15 PM

[quote=MTK;1254677]If you’ve hung on this long you’re not going anywhere lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

The fans that have held on this long have done so because of the emotional attachment to the team, changing the name and logo loosens that connection. if they continue to lose without any sign of a turnaround then it will be easier for fans to drift away.... RR needs to hit the ground running

los panda 07-11-2020 03:21 PM

Bullets

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 03:41 PM

Skins Twitter is saying Monday will be the name reveal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 04:10 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1254682]The fans that have held on this long have done so because of the emotional attachment to the team, changing the name and logo loosens that connection. if they continue to lose without any sign of a turnaround then it will be easier for fans to drift away.... RR needs to hit the ground running[/quote]

BINGO, I've been a fan because of the logo and name , players come and go but the franchise stays.. Until now with this whole new re-brand shit and some of the ideas being thrown around sound so bush league.

Warriors = safe but generic as hell
Redwolves = kinda cool but they won't go that route
Redtails = They won't go down that road
Senators = TRASH
Redhawks = Bleh

Redskins is still the best name and our logo is one of the best in all of sports, now that is all erased. I'm basically checked out man.

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 04:11 PM

And as far as RR winning right now? It's not happening.. No matter what the name is lol, the roster isn't very good, especially on offense.

sdskinsfan2001 07-11-2020 04:24 PM

Alright alright alright...what is Matthew McConaughey's vote?

I want him to make a YouTube spoof of himself driving around in a Lincoln revealing his vote.

BaltimoreSkins 07-11-2020 05:19 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254690]Skins Twitter is saying Monday will be the name reveal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/quote]

That would be awesome!

sdskinsfan2001 07-11-2020 05:31 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1254699]That would be awesome![/quote]

I took Monday off work. That would be a good day for it. Have all day to mentally accept the change and read other people's views.

C'mon Redwolves!!! No Warriors!

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 05:48 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1254700]I took Monday off work. That would be a good day for it. Have all day to mentally accept the change and read other people's views.

C'mon Redwolves!!! No Warriors![/quote]

Per The Athletic, "The name has been decided and will be released in the next 24-48 hours"

BaltimoreSkins 07-11-2020 06:12 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1254701]Per The Athletic, "The name has been decided and will be released in the next 24-48 hours"[/quote]

[url]https://riggosrag.com/2020/07/11/redskins-name-change-imminent-new-logo-within-week/[/url]

This is amazing. Given that typical rebrands take over a year for them to do this in basically a month is crazy. Let's hope they get this right

Monkeydad 07-11-2020 08:52 PM

If we need a transition season until the new uniforms are ready, I would love to see the reaction to:

[IMG]https://i0.wp.com/www.powerlineblog.com/ed-assets/2020/07/IMG_3160.jpeg?w=960&ssl=1[/IMG]

skinsfaninok 07-11-2020 09:09 PM

"Brace yourselves redskins fans" Chick Hernandez

Who knows wtf this means.

If it's Warriors with the seminoles logo I wouldn't hate it.

Anything like Senators , Renegades , etc I'm 100% out lol

Monkeydad 07-11-2020 09:10 PM

Few more I just saw online...

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcDsAdLXQAAUX3Q?format=jpg&name=medium[/img]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcDRCRNXgAAOxBO?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcLIGHfX0AAtVrB?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcFvf7kUEAII0MS?format=jpg&name=900x900[/IMG]

SkinzWin 07-11-2020 09:10 PM

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-redskins-name-change-warriors-leading-contender-for-new-name-ahead-of-2020-per-report/[/url]

Looks like the Warriors is the leading candidate in the clubhouse per sources. If I had the choice between the Warriors and Redwolves I’ll go Howwllllll!

VTSkins1961 07-11-2020 10:24 PM

[quote=SkinzWin;1254713][url]https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-redskins-name-change-warriors-leading-contender-for-new-name-ahead-of-2020-per-report/[/url]

Looks like the Warriors is the leading candidate in the clubhouse per sources. If I had the choice between the Warriors and Redwolves I’ll go Howwllllll![/quote]

That link is from 2 days ago but that doesn't mean that you are wrong.. Red Wolves has been getting a lot of support lately from current and retired players as well . I think its going to be Red Wolves or Warriors. I am okay with either of these.....