Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What the hell happened? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=22269)

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:10 PM

Re: What the hell happened?

[QUOTE=WillH;415336]You know about as much as we do about why they were let go. Suffice it to say that on certain personnel matters DS and GW differed (some have suggested that VC was the main point of contention). As a result, DS decided to look at more candidates then originally planned; during that time GW was getting fed up with being left in the dark, as were all the assistant coaches. Gibbs calmed them all down as best he could, and said the decision would not come until after the Super Bowl. Gibbs also encouraged GW to stay in the race, until GW met with DS and VC and they all decided "mutually" that GW not be considered a candidate.

Since then the OC, DC. and other assistant positions have been filled. This has led to speculation that there is already a candidate in mind, or at least that the candidates they do have in mind seem to have no objections to the assistant coaches hired. Candidates include Jim Fassel, Steve Spagnuolo (sp?), Ron Meeks (recently brought in for 2nd interview), and Steve Mariucci (scheduled for an interview today).

As far as Saunders, it seems that he was going to be fired whether GW was HC or not. Apparently the organization (ie. DS abd VC) was not satisfied with his performance and wants to go in a new direction offensively. The new direction is assumed to be a West Coast Offense, but the main concern in this transition seems to be the development of Jason Campbell. Hence, Jim Zorn (former QB coach of Matt Hasslebeck) replaced Saunders, and was given the position of OC.[/QUOTE]

That's a great explanation...thanks.
If we are truely going to a west coast offense, I can see, and get on board with the Zorn hiring. He did wonders for Hasselbeck. I never saw Matt H. as a gifted QB, I saw him as a well coached QB.
DO we have any idea who the front runner is for HC? I don't really like any of those candidates you posted right now. Is is possible we are waiting til after the super bowl cause we are interested in a coach that will be coaching in the super bowl?

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins247;415337]Jsarno...I was wondering why I hadn't seen any posts from you during the madness. Cerrato being named vice president of football operations is Snyder's best effort at having a GM...and I don't think either were in the Saunders fan club. I always got the feeling he would be gone even if GW had been named head coach. As of now, I kind of like the hiring of Zorn...I think he will be good for Campbell.

Oh, and also Jeff Gordon is leaving Hendricks for DEI!!! now that IS a joke :cheeky-sm[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was sippin Mai Tai's and Pearl Harbors and whale watching and snorkeling reefs left from lava rocks. We also had an open bar at an authentic luau...that was a fun evening!

BDBohnzie 01-30-2008 02:12 PM

Don Breaux's official title the last few season was Offensive Coordinator. We'll have to wait and see how titles fold out of this process.

Byner's contract runs out tomorrow, and he's been interviewing elsewhere. For some reason, the Skins have failed to lock him in.

Zorn was the QB Coach in Seattle under Holmgren. He helped mold Matt Hasselbeck into the All-Pro QB that he is. I'm guessing that all the HC front runners have signed off on him being the new OC, and made it an easy choice for Snyder and Cerrato.

Cerrato in years past was able to hide behind Snyder's moniker as far as decisions go. With his new title, he can now be held accountable for his actions. We shall see how this pans out.

ArtMonkDrillz 01-30-2008 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;415345] Is is possible we are waiting til after the super bowl cause we are interested in a coach that will be coaching in the super bowl?[/QUOTE]Snyder is planning to drive a dump truck literally filled with solid gold to Belichick's house on Monday morning.

skinsguy 01-30-2008 02:14 PM

I think Breaux is going to be reassigned as a special advisor.

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=skinsguy;415344]Jsarno,

Here's the deal. GW interviewed with DS and VC 4 times, but no contract was ever discussed. Apparently, DS just didn't feel GW was the right man for the job. Anyways, GW took his name out of the running and mutually agreed with the team to part ways. Saunders was fired because DS and VC just never really felt his offense was progressing the way it should've. So, Vinny grabs Jim Zorn (which actually too bad of a move,) to take AS place. Incidently, both Gregg Williams and Jim Fassel liked the move to get Zorn as the OC. Of course, Greg Blache has been promoted to DC, which also isn't too bad of a move. Really, the only major change on the coaching staff (of course other than Williams leaving) is Saunders getting the boot. The rest of the coaches will be back (with the exception of Earnest Byner as he was just offered a one year extension.)

What's getting confusing is if Jim Fassel is our next head coach, why they are waiting until after the Super Bowl to announce it. After watching Comcast Sports last night, Charlie Casserly seems to believe that Snyder backed off of Fassel because of the overwhelmingly negative sentiment from the fans. The majority of the fans just don't like Fassel as our coach. Therefore, Steve Mariucci is supposedly being interviewed either today or in the immediate future. So, it's possible that the Mooch might be the Redskins' next HC. No matter which guy is going to be head coach, we're probably going to be implementing a West Coast Offense.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your expanation. I seem to be up to speed now.
Although, Byner is still puzzling. Why did they offer only a 1 year? Did Byner get upset and walk away then?

I really liked Saunders, but that offense wasn't working until Collins took over. Odd to say that. So maybe it's best that he is gone.
I LOVE the idea of bringing the west coast offense over here...I feel Campbell will be wonders with it.

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;415348]Snyder is planning to drive a dump truck literally filled with solid gold to Belichick's house on Monday morning.[/QUOTE]

LOL...I wasn't referring to Belichick, he just signed an extension after the whole spygate thing...he's not leaving N.E. to do anything other than retire.

skinsguy 01-30-2008 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;415351]Thank you for your expanation. I seem to be up to speed now.
Although, Byner is still puzzling. Why did they offer only a 1 year? Did Byner get upset and walk away then?

I really liked Saunders, but that offense wasn't working until Collins took over. Odd to say that. So maybe it's best that he is gone.
I LOVE the idea of bringing the west coast offense over here...I feel Campbell will be wonders with it.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why they didn't offer Byner the same extension they offered to other coaches. I think the other coaches have signed 3 year extensions.

WillH 01-30-2008 02:23 PM

[quote=jsarno;415345]That's a great explanation...thanks.
If we are truely going to a west coast offense, I can see, and get on board with the Zorn hiring. He did wonders for Hasselbeck. I never saw Matt H. as a gifted QB, I saw him as a well coached QB.
DO we have any idea who the front runner is for HC? I don't really like any of those candidates you posted right now.[B] Is is possible we are waiting til after the super bowl cause we are interested in a coach that will be coaching in the super bowl?[/B][/quote]

That could be the case, this is some of the speculation on that:

Spagnuolo (sp?) the Giants DC could be one option.

Josh McDaniels the Pats OC could be another

and Steve Mariucci covering the game for NFL Network could be one also.

Snyder said something to the effect of "we are waiting until after the superbowl so as not to distract from the game, and so that we can consider all options." Read that as you like, but it seems that the main reason is the NFL has asked him to wait so as not to overshadow the Super Bowl. They are obviously still interviewing though, so they certainly have not come to a final decision, and if Fassel or Mariucci are not hired then they probably will at least interview Spagnoulo and McDaniels.

birdz4gibbs 01-30-2008 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;415315]I am assuming by that comment, this has been a hard past couple weeks for everyone here, and fairly emotional. I am not trying to start anything, just trying to get caught back up to speed here.
I understand they are gone, but what I am not aware of is why.

Please tell me the Cerrato comment was a joke.[/QUOTE]

we,ve only had about a thousand candidates interviewed for the HC position thus far with mariucci today after they interviewed meeks yesterday.so yeah i hope you enjoyed your trip .al and gregg got the boot with what was mentioned to you and promoted blanche and signed a few other as well like bugel..so it,s been fun to say the least....

Redskins247 01-30-2008 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;415346]Yeah, I was sippin Mai Tai's and Pearl Harbors and whale watching and snorkeling reefs left from lava rocks. We also had an open bar at an authentic luau...that was a fun evening![/QUOTE]

That sounds like a GOOD vacation! Congrats

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=WillH;415357]That could be the case, this is some of the speculation on that:

Spagnuolo (sp?) the Giants DC could be one option.

Josh McDaniels the Pats OC could be another

and Steve Mariucci covering the game for NFL Network could be one also.

Snyder said something to the effect of "we are waiting until after the superbowl so as not to distract from the game, and so that we can consider all options." Read that as you like, but it seems that the main reason is the NFL has asked him to wait so as not to overshadow the Super Bowl. They are obviously still interviewing though, so they certainly have not come to a final decision, and if Fassel or Mariucci are not hired then they probably will at least interview Spagnoulo and McDaniels.[/QUOTE]

I actually like the McDaniels idea. He's an underrated coach IMO.

What concerns me at this point is, very few HC's like to come to a place where they can't bring any coaches. Whoever takes over here, takes over with a staff in place, and NO familiar faces. That's a daunting task.

Defensewins 01-30-2008 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;415339]I knew the love child part was...LOL...but how can Cerrato be promoted??? He, IMO, is HURTING the skins, not helping. Has Dan fallen off the path again? [/QUOTE]

This is what started the whole mess on this sight. A lot of people got upset about losing GW and Saunders because GW most likely did not want Vinnie Cerrato. He most likely wanted to bring in another GM and Snyder will never accept that. Cerrato is his boy. As many on this site have wanted a real/qualified/talented GM for years now and we lost GW and Saunders due to this issue it pissed a ton of people off. Although Matty and MOD's have done a good job of trying to calm the masses.

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins247;415360]That sounds like a GOOD vacation! Congrats[/QUOTE]

It was a blast. I just relaxed and had a great time. Work tried to text me, and I just shut the phone off completely for the 11 days.
Went surfing on Poipu beach, went to the Dole plantation and mauna loa factory (macadamia nut factory, which I am addicted to macadamia nuts) and just enjoyed all the sites.
The two best places I went were probably Kona (city on the dry side of the Big Island) and the island of Kauai. Honolulu is actually HUGE and very commercial. It's just like a major city. Although Pearl Harbor was very awe inspiring.

jsarno 01-30-2008 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Defensewins;415363]This is what started the whole mess on this sight. A lot of people got upset about losing GW and Saunders because GW most likely did not want Vinnie Cerrato. He most likely wanted to bring in another GM and Snyder will never accept that. Cerrato is his boy. As many on this site have wanted a real/qualified/talented GM for years now and we lost GW and Saunders due to this issue it pissed a ton of people off. Although Matty and MOD's have done a good job of trying to calm the masses.[/QUOTE]

I can very easily see that.