Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Michigan vs Ohio State Rematch (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=15843)

saden1 11-18-2006 07:38 PM

Michigan vs Ohio State Rematch

These two teams are in a league of their own, I hope they play each other again in the big game!!! Lets be honest, USC and Florida and ND can't compete with these two teams.

SkinsLove24/7 11-19-2006 12:30 AM

Re: Michigan vs Ohio State Rematch

I think now that Ohio State has won they will be playing USC assuming USC wins out against Notre Dame and UCLA and I think it will be a good matchup. The only area to question in that situation is the USC quarterback John David Booty. He is young and how will he handle such pressure although he has played very well this season. But I think that a Michigan vs. Ohio State rematch on a neutral site would be a good game.

saden1 11-19-2006 01:56 AM

I have seen USC play quite a bit this year and let me tell you...if they play OSU they are going to get crushed. I honestly doubt Michigan will drop in the standings and rightly so. They played a hell of a game on the Road.

dall-assblows 11-19-2006 09:30 AM

michagan's defense got there asses handed to them by troy heisman, i mean troy smith. they couldn't stop for anything. but i think that mike hart was amazing in the second half. i would like to see a rematch b/c after the game mike hart said that if there were a rematch that michigan would win, he garunteed it

dmek25 11-19-2006 10:59 AM

i hate the bcs. lets have a playoff because yesterday, that was one helluva game

That Guy 11-19-2006 11:04 AM

rematch would be best. USC can't compete with OSU... they're in entirely different leagues.

I wouldn't mind seeing WVU's offense vs OSU (just for kicks), but i honestly don't think anyone outside of michigan has a chance to win.

Gmanc711 11-19-2006 06:58 PM

My ONLY problem with this, is that if theres a rematch and Michigan wins, we are back to square one in my opinon. However these are clearly the best two teams and shoudl be playing again.

jdlea 11-19-2006 07:10 PM

I actually have to differ with you guys. I thought it was a great game, yes, but I don't buy that they should get a rematch. Michigan knew what they needed to do. Win the game. They didn't, now they won't win the Big Ten. I agree with Tressel, if you don't win your conference you shouldn't get a shot at the national title.

Both of these teams yesterday knew what should have been on the line: a shot at the national title. However, now the BCS has let Michigan off the hook. No matter how good the game was, OSU shouldn't have to prove that they're better than Michigan again. If Michigan won a rematch I would be disgusted and call for a split national title because then these teams would be 1-1 against each other. I'd like to see USC/Notre Dame/Florida play OSU before Michigan.

SmootSmack 11-19-2006 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=jdlea;248440]I actually have to differ with you guys. I thought it was a great game, yes, but I don't buy that they should get a rematch. Michigan knew what they needed to do. Win the game. They didn't, now they won't win the Big Ten. I agree with Tressel, if you don't win your conference you shouldn't get a shot at the national title.

Both of these teams yesterday knew what should have been on the line: a shot at the national title. However, now the BCS has let Michigan off the hook. No matter how good the game was, OSU shouldn't have to prove that they're better than Michigan again. If Michigan won a rematch I would be disgusted and call for a split national title because then these teams would be 1-1 against each other. I'd like to see USC/Notre Dame/Florida play OSU before Michigan.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, this was essentially a playoff game in my opinion and Michigan just got eliminated.

saden1 11-19-2006 08:06 PM

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The game was not a playoff game. More like a regular season game with post season implications. I'm all for playoff format but since we have the POS BCS there is no reason to punch Michigan for falling 3 points short on the road against the #1 team in the nation. The game could have gone either way. Plus, there is no team more deserving a shot at the title game than Michigan.

jdlea 11-19-2006 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=saden1;248478]Lets not get ahead of ourselves. The game was not a playoff game. More like a regular season game with post season implications. I'm all for playoff format but since we have the POS BCS there is no reason to punch Michigan for falling 3 points short on the road against the #1 team in the nation. The game could have gone either way. Plus, there is no team more deserving a shot at the title game than Michigan.[/QUOTE]

I gotta disagree. If you have bowl games to decide who the national champ should be, I don't wanna see rematches. I don't want to see a rematch in a bowl game peirod, much less the national title game. I won't tune in if OSU plays Michigan for the national title. I agree that there's no shame in losing on the road to the #1 team in the nation, but I don't buy that they deserve another shot on a neutral field.

I think, first of all, a team should have to win their conference to play for the national title. As to avoid that ugly ass bs that put OU in a "national title game" a couple years back. They didn't deserve to be there and thus the national title got split. I think OSU is better than Michigan and it was proved yesterday. I think it's unfortunate for Michigan that the game was played in the Horseshoe, but that's football. I don't wanna see a rematch and I don't feel like Michigan deserves one.

Hail2theskins 11-19-2006 10:23 PM

I like when its two traditional schools everyone calls this game great and one of the best of the century, but when wvu and u of l roll of big numbers its because theres no defense... the bcs is a joke, there needs to be a playoff because nothing can be settled through rankings, who has ohio state played and beaten outside of michigan? noone, yeah they played texas and it was a 19 year old kids second ever start in the biggest game of his life, lets have that game a little farther down the road and see what happens. who else have they beaten... noone. now lets look at michigan? who have they beaten? an overrated notre dame team? a wisco team that hadnt found its starters yet? i dont buy it, and i really dont buy ohio states d, allowing 39 points from an offense that yeah is good but not 39 points on the "number 1 team in the nation" good. I use quotes cuz im not buying into all this crap. Nor do i buy into the SEC, i hear on espn yesterday that arkansas keeps it close with miss. st cuz starkvilles a tough place to play in and the sec is just so tough, bull freakin shit, wvu went down to starkville and manhandled the bulldogs 42-14. None of the top teams really have much of an out of conference schedule, a rematch would be pointless. i hate this crap college ball needs a playoff, people who argue they couldnt do it cuz it would be too much for the players or the bowls would lose money, no they wouldnt and no it wouldnt, the players are still practicing from dec 3 to jan 7th, you could keep the sponsors from the bowls games and just name the games throughout the playoff the contential tire second round game or whatever. I hate all the politics in college football, implement a playoff and let the best team win, not just who people speculate to be the best team.

itvnetop 11-20-2006 05:29 AM

As an SC guy, OSU is definitely ahead of everyone in college football this season (Michigan did give them the closest game anyone will give them this year). If SC wins out, I don't see how you can give UM a rematch though. If we beat Notre Dame (and that's a big if), our schedule would include wins over the BCS #5 Irish, Nebraska (Big 12 North Champs) and Arkansas (SEC West Champs... a spanking [I]in[/I] Fayetteville, btw). That's two sectional champions in BCS conferences. And that's not even mentioning the wins against ranked Pac teams Oregon and Cal...

Regardless of OSU's dominance (on paper) against SC, the Trojans deserve that shot if they win out. It wasn't so long ago that the Buckeyes upset the Canes at the Orange Bowl, in what was considered an upset.

FRPLG 11-20-2006 08:22 AM

I think they ought to play again. The game was in Ohio so advantage OSU and it was NOT a playoff game and was NOT for the national championship so calling it anything other than a regular season game obscures the real issue. Are they they best two teams in the country? I can't honestly say yes but I know this. I have seen Notre Dame, USC and Fla enough to know that I think all three would get their asses handed to them if they played either Michgian or OSU.

Daseal 11-20-2006 09:23 AM

I'm totally for a rematch. Michigan has 1 loss, that's to the #1 team in the country, Ohio State. Not Oregon State or whatever team USC lost to.

Had Michigan lost in week 1 to Oh. St. would there be any question as to who should be playing?

itvnetop 11-20-2006 06:05 PM

The case for UM:

1) Decisive victory of the Irish in ND.
2) 2 TD win at home against top 10 Wisconsin.
3) Close loss against #1 OSU away.

The case against UM:

1) Only quality wins on the entire schedule so far are Notre Dame and Wisconsin. Does a close loss to the #1 team count (in the eyes of the voters and BCS) as a win in college football?

2) Outside of independent Notre Dame, UM's out of conference W's have come against the likes of Vanderbilt, Central Michigan and Ball State.

The case for SC (should they beat Notre Dame and UCLA):

1) The toughest SOS left out of the 1 loss teams.

2) [I]If[/I] they beat ND, they will have quality wins over BCS #5 (ND will drop should SC win this weekend), BCS # 6, BCS #19 and BCS #22. All in one season.

3) Undefeated out of conference schedule which does [I]not[/I] include Central Michigan, Vanderbilt and Ball State.

Case against SC:

1) Loss to unranked Oregon State.

2) Early close victories in conference play to "sub-par" opponents (Wazzou, ASU, Washington).

Verdict:

Should SC win out, their SOS puts them in Glendale. UM's quality win against Notre Dame will be matched by USC's win. Even if SC's margin of victory at home against the Irish is less than UM's margin away, it won't matter to the BCS.

Michigan's only other quality win is against conference foe Wisconsin. SC matches conference strength with wins over Cal and Oregon (who is no longer ranked). The difference is the out of conference play: SC destroyed the SEC West champion (Arkansas) 50-14 in Fayetteville and soundly beat the Big 12 North champion, Nebraska.

Who deserves to get shut out of the national championship game? A team whose one loss was to an unranked team in conference, even though their record includes wins over 4 BCS ranked opponents (2 of which are sectional conference champions)? Or a team who has quality wins over 2 BCS ranked teams and a close [I]loss[/I] to the best team away?

I'm all for a playoff, but we have what we have... the crappy BCS. Until a playoff happens, the BCS system basically means every weekend is a playoff game for D1 football (unless every team except one loses a game- then it's a mess of computer crunching). If you have a rematch for the national championship, doesn't that make this past weekend's game b/t OSU and UM irrelevant? What if Michigan beats OSU in the Fiesta Bowl? Is the winner really the champ if both teams have one loss and that was to each other? If so, then we're going with the argument the NFL uses: whoever wins at the end is champion regardless.

If that's the case, SC should definitely be in the game. They dominated the SEC and Big 12's best at the start of the season. they struggled with conference games at the beginning of Pac-10 play. Now, Pete Carroll has the team rolling in November... this is the trademark of Trojan football. SC may not be on the same level as OSU right now, but the team is peaking when the best are suppose to peak... in November. Let me ask this to you guys: what is the closer indicator of SC's team right now... the team that lost to Oregon State a month ago? or the SC team who has beaten their last three opponents (two of which were ranked at the time) 100-19 since that loss?

Don't know how many college football programs can lose 2 Heisman winners, have freshmen and sophomores at more than half the starting positions (which include brand new running backs), start a new QB, lose a starting safety for the year in game 1 and be forced to start the 4th string fullback... all while ending up in a position to go to the natty. You want to give OSU the opponent who is playing the best in November... and with the way SC is playing now, there's no way you deny them.

Of course this is moot if we lose to the Irish this weekend...

SmootSmack 11-20-2006 06:12 PM

Still no love for undefeated Boise State

Redskin 11-20-2006 11:27 PM

Jesus look at that post, longer then my senoir paper on how michigan gonna make the big dance damn

On secound thought i should us ethat as my senor paper