Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Come up with a new name for the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64635)

MTK 07-12-2021 01:19 PM

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

[quote=irish;1285780]I think they realize they jumped the gun by so quickly calling them WFT. IMO WFClub rolls off the tongue much better than WFT. I hope they keep it WFT or WFC, it's different.[/quote]

Different but still generic AF. They can't go out and announce a name change from team to club with a straight face.

I find it awfully hard to believe club wasn't also on the table when the change to football team was made.

sdskinsfan2001 07-12-2021 01:34 PM

Glad there's a timeline on it now but damn it's a long ways away. I guess there was really no choice but to wait until after the 2022 season, if they didn't announce the name change before the draft. Assuming the announcement will be after the Super Bowl and before the draft in 2022.

skinsfaninok 07-12-2021 01:54 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1285789]Glad there's a timeline on it now but damn it's a long ways away. I guess there was really no choice but to wait until after the 2022 season, if they didn't announce the name change before the draft. Assuming the announcement will be after the Super Bowl and before the draft in 2022.[/quote]

I'm sure they have the new logo and design ready, and uniforms too. I just hope they keep this W is some fashion, it's a sick logo

irish 07-12-2021 02:11 PM

[quote=MTK;1285788]Different but still generic AF. [B] They can't go out and announce a name change from team to club with a straight face. [/B]

I find it awfully hard to believe club wasn't also on the table when the change to football team was made.[/quote]

Sure they can.

The announcement said there are going to be blogs and other announcements that keep fans in the loop as to how the new name was determined.

Knowing how this f'd-up organization operates and with all the chaos and urgency of getting rid of Redskins I can easily see WFC never occurring to them. Plus people are in the mindset of NFL organizations being teams not clubs. As a previous post says, I also think they have already decided on a name, logo, uniforms, etc. but the process of trademarks and league approvals takes time and they definitely want to have all their ducks in a row.

irish 07-12-2021 02:17 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1285782]They're not going to go with Football Club or Football Team permanently. For one, Football Team was determined to be too vague to qualify for a trademark, so Snyder can't even stop others from making bank off of it with knock off T Shirts.

Second, he's going to want a brand and logo that gets kids excited. The merchandising value there is significant, both in the short term and the long.[/quote]

I see kids all over wearing Real Madrid, Liverpool, and Man U shirts and the only logo easily seen is Samsung, Sony, Vodafone, whatever. So obviously they aren't wearing those shirts for the cool Man U logo (barely discernable on the shirt) they are wearing them because Man U wins. Kids aren't buying a loser team's shirt no matter how cool the logo might look. If Washington wins nobody will care what the name and logo are.

MTK 07-12-2021 02:36 PM

[quote=irish;1285792]Sure they can.

The announcement said there are going to be blogs and other announcements that keep fans in the loop as to how the new name was determined.

Knowing how this f'd-up organization operates and with all the chaos and urgency of getting rid of Redskins I can easily see WFC never occurring to them. Plus people are in the mindset of NFL organizations being teams not clubs. As a previous post says, I also think they have already decided on a name, logo, uniforms, etc. but the process of trademarks and league approvals takes time and they definitely want to have all their ducks in a row.[/quote]

This is all a moot point, they just lost out on getting WFT trademarked so I don't see how an equally generic name of club is somehow going to fly.

We can say for sure it's not going to be Redskins, Warriors, Team, or Club.

irish 07-12-2021 03:09 PM

[quote=MTK;1285794]This is all a moot point, they just lost out on getting WFT trademarked so I don't see how an equally generic name of club is somehow going to fly.

We can say for sure it's not going to be Redskins, Warriors, Team, or Club.[/quote]

We can say for sure its not the first or second names listed.

You cant tell me Real Madrid Football Club, Liverpool Football Club, etc. aren't trademarked and they're no less generic than WFC. I got the impression from the Sports Junkies this morning that the problem was with how the trademark application was filed. The Sports Junkies were saying how when they went to trademark "The Sports Junkies" the application was kicked back as too generic so their trademark attorney tightened it up (I'm not sure what that really means and they didn't get specific) and they got their trademark. I can easily see Washington doing the same thing.

Look at LFC logo and its an elaborate shield, I suspect for Washington to get something like WFC or WFT trademarked they'd have to make their logo more specific than a gold W. I don't know why they cant just call themselves Washington Football and forget the Team or Club.

In the end I don't think they will go with Team or Club, they will pick some stupid name which everyone will find laughable.

FrenchSkin 07-12-2021 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=MTK;1285794]This is all a moot point, they just lost out on getting WFT trademarked so I don't see how an equally generic name of club is somehow going to fly.

We can say for sure it's not going to be Redskins, Warriors, Team, or Club.[/QUOTE]Yop.

Again, to me arguing about such a subjective thing as a name is kinda useless, all we can do is voice our opinions, and try to understand their process, with the elements they're giving us.

And for many reasons, WFT/C just doesn't fit their process.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 07-12-2021 05:54 PM

One thing from [URL="https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/presidents-brief-moving-foward-washington-football"]Jason Wright's piece,[/URL] I wouldn't be sure any "red" name is out, because of this part:

" Though I wasn't here for the rescinding of the name, I believe it was done with faith that the connective ties of this fan base run deep and that [B]the deeply loved traditions and positive aspects of our identity can be preserved and even enhanced[/B] under a new name that does not offend any member of our community."

CRedskinsRule 07-12-2021 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1285799]One thing from [URL="https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/presidents-brief-moving-foward-washington-football"]Jason Wright's piece,[/URL] I wouldn't be sure any "red" name is out, because of this part:

" Though I wasn't here for the rescinding of the name, I believe it was done with faith that the connective ties of this fan base run deep and that [B]the deeply loved traditions and positive aspects of our identity can be preserved and even enhanced[/B] under a new name that does not offend any member of our community."[/QUOTE]He also said - "We are now down to a short list of final names based on our strategic approach, research process, and insight phase."

I hope we go to the SB for many reasons but it would be really crazy to win the division and conference as WFT only to have the name changed Superbowl week

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 07-12-2021 09:49 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1285802]He also said - "We are now down to a short list of final names based on our strategic approach, research process, and insight phase."

I hope we go to the SB for many reasons but it would be really crazy to win the division and conference as WFT only to have the name changed Superbowl week

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/quote]

That'd sure feel strange, but anything short of actually WINNING the SB won't mean anything 50 years from now.

Like the year is 2071, 2 fans chatting:

"-Wait, why are they called WFT again?
-Well, it was supposed to be the temporary name, they were looking for a new name for 2 years...
-But why did they stick with it then?
-Well, they went 7 and 9 and won the division in 2020, and then went to a conference game in 2021 and figured it was good enough in the end..."

rocnrik 07-12-2021 10:49 PM

They are saying the new name will not have any connection to native Americans… that strikes me odd .. so now it seems any connection to NA is considered bad? I do know that Indians, braves, chiefs all have had some criticism for team name .. dang I just never realized that using Native American theme was somehow wrong … I’m ready to move on to the next stage … my bet is it’s a patriotic or military based name and that will bring in a whole new level of criticism.. we shall see .. red wolves is starting to sound good …,

nonniey 07-13-2021 12:54 AM

Well warriors was my 2 choice of those under consideration (for the very reason they eliminated it).

skinsfan69 07-13-2021 08:22 AM

Just glad it isn't Redwolves or Redhogs. Put that shit to bed.

CrazyCanuck 07-13-2021 09:16 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1285781]In the spirit of that engagement, I want to address a name that has emerged amongst our fanbase, "Warriors." One might look at this name as a natural, and even harmless transition considering that it does not necessarily or specifically carry a negative connotation. But as we learned through our research and engagement with various groups, "context matters" and that makes it a "slippery slope." Feedback from across communities we engaged clearly revealed deep-seated discomfort around Warriors, with the clear acknowledgment that it too closely aligns with Native American themes. Such an embrace of potentially Native-adjacent iconography and imagery would not represent a clear departure that many communities have so forcefully advocated for us to embrace, and that frankly, we set out to do when we started this process a year ago.

Jason Wright[/quote]

In other words, Snyder let the Warriors trademark expire and it would cost a sh*tload to get it back.