Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's the worst sports related injury you've ever had? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=15574)

BDBohnzie 11-08-2006 02:49 PM

Re: What's the worst sports related injury you've ever had?

AMD - that's because when you were a freshman, you almost got eaten at the Phi Mu social...but there is just something special about those Rugby guys at Salisbury.

I've been very fortunate not to have suffered anything significant (i'm knocking on my wood desk right now)...

Suffered a deep shoulder bruise from blocking in flag football, severe ankle sprains, and line drives off the ankles and legs while pitching in slow pitch (some of those leave the prettiest bruises...I have to start taking pictures). That's pretty much it.

Summo 11-08-2006 02:52 PM

About five years ago I tore my Achilles tendon playing flag football. I was playing center and I turned to run in the opposite direction and it felt like someone shot me in the back of the leg. The doctor that re-attached it said I was lucky, he had just enough to re-sew it back together otherwise he would have to had shortened it and I would be walking with a limp the rest of my life.

But that wasn't the worst part of the injury; about a month after the surgery I had a sharp pain in my calf for a couple of days. Finally one night as I was eating dinner it felt like my heart stopped for a second and I couldn't catch my breath. I laid down for a while and it just got worse, so I told my wife to call an ambulance and she knew I wasn’t right because I never want to go to a doctor, let alone a hospital. The ambulance drivers had no idea what was wrong with me; they kept asking me if I ate something out of the ordinary.

When I got to the hospital I was in the emergency room laying in the bed and all of a sudden it felt like my head was spinning in two different directions at the same time. I blacked out and when I woke up there was a bunch of doctors and nurses standing around me telling me to wake up. I had a major pulmonary embolism, actually two, a little one at home and the major one in the ER. The lung doctor that saved my life by injecting me with what he describe as a large dose of TPT (a blood thinner) said that the size of that embolism was the largest he has ever seen in 20 years working in the ER. He also said that if the big one would have struck me at home I would have been dead by the time the ambulance got there. All of this for the sport I love.

But after all of this I look at this experience as a positive one. It opened my eyes and made me realize that I should be taking better care of my body. In the last five years I have totally changed the way I eat resulting in a 120 pound weight loss and I now go to the gym five days a week to exercise. I have two kids and a beautiful wife that I don’t want to abandon, like I almost did.

EternalEnigma21 11-08-2006 02:54 PM

[quote=Summo;241724]About five years ago I tore my Achilles tendon playing flag football. I was playing center and I turned to run in the opposite direction and it felt like someone shot me in the back of the leg. The doctor that re-attached it said I was lucky, he had just enough to re-sew it back together otherwise he would have to had shortened it and I would be walking with a limp the rest of my life.

But that wasn't the worst part of the injury; about a month after the surgery I had a sharp pain in my calf for a couple of days. Finally one night as I was eating dinner it felt like my heart stopped for a second and I couldn't catch my breath. I laid down for a while and it just got worse, so I told my wife to call an ambulance and she knew I wasn’t right because I never want to go to a doctor, let alone a hospital. The ambulance drivers had no idea what was wrong with me; they kept asking me if I ate something out of the ordinary.

When I got to the hospital I was in the emergency room laying in the bed and all of a sudden it felt like my head was spinning in two different directions at the same time. I blacked out and when I woke up there was a bunch of doctors and nurses standing around me telling me to wake up. I had a major pulmonary embolism, actually two, a little one at home and the major one in the ER. The lung doctor that saved my life by injecting me with what he describe as a large dose of TPT (a blood thinner) said that the size of that embolism was the largest he has ever seen in 20 years working in the ER. He also said that if the big one would have struck me at home I would have been dead by the time the ambulance got there. All of this for the sport I love.

But after all of this I look at this experience as a positive one. It opened my eyes and made me realize that I should be taking better care of my body. In the last five years I have totally changed the way I eat resulting in a 120 pound weight loss and I now go to the gym five days a week to exercise. I have two kids and a beautiful wife that I don’t want to abandon, like I almost did.[/quote]

well thanks for that Dr. Downer....

that sucks...

TheMalcolmConnection 11-08-2006 02:56 PM

Wow, nice job on the weight loss. It's the hardest thing to start, but once you lose it and you see yourself, it's like you never want to get like you were again.

RedskinRat 11-08-2006 02:58 PM

[quote=Summo;241724]But after all of this I look at this experience as a positive one. It opened my eyes and made me realize that I should be taking better care of my body. In the last five years I have totally changed the way I eat resulting in a 120 pound weight loss and I now go to the gym five days a week to exercise. I have two kids and a beautiful wife that I don’t want to abandon, like I almost did.[/quote]

Good for you, man.

I had an aneurysm on a 5 mile hill run, walked home then (after being bitched at by my co-workers) I went to the ER ten days later. Dr. said "You could have died" and I said "But I didn't". I'm retarded enough to still think I'm going to live forever.

If you have family you have to put them first. I have a girlfriend and three cats, they can deal with it. Screw 'em.

illdefined 11-08-2006 03:03 PM

OUCH guys.

well, my thumb was rubbed COMPLETLEY raw after Madden 07 came out for xbox360. even hurt the next day.

ok, you can ban me now.

RedskinRat 11-08-2006 03:04 PM

[quote=illdefined;241737]OUCH guys.

well, my thumb was rubbed COMPLETLEY raw after Madden 07 came out for xbox360. even hurt the next day.

ok, you can ban me now.[/quote]

Tape it and get back in there!

illdefined 11-08-2006 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=RedskinRat;241740]Tape it and get back in there![/QUOTE]

:funnypost

Summo 11-08-2006 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;241729]Wow, nice job on the weight loss. It's the hardest thing to start, but once you lose it and you see yourself, it's like you never want to get like you were again.[/QUOTE]

Word Up!! I went from a 52 waist to a 38 and I told my wife that if I ever get close to that again to just fucking shoot me!!

TheMalcolmConnection 11-08-2006 03:12 PM

Keep going at it until you see the six pack. Once I finally got that, I became VERY concious of my weight because the fiancee LOVES it and it's like the second I gain a couple pounds, I'm back in the gym making it work again. :biggthump

I can thank Domino's and college for the sixty pounds I put on during those years.

Paintrain 11-08-2006 03:20 PM

In high school I was playing safety on a cold, nasty, rainy Saturday (damn upstate NY!) and went to make a tackle and got bent back by the pile.. Sprained my ACL, if it was a dry day my cleats would have stuck and it would have torn..

More recently, playing pickup basketball about 12 years ago I reached in to try to strip someone of the ball and suffered a compound fracture/disclocation of my left middle finger.. They had to remove the ligament on the inside of the finger because it was shredded and I still cannot straighten it all the way up.. It looks a little like a question mark..

dall-assblows 11-08-2006 03:23 PM

broken ankle, shattered elbow. lacrosse

MTK 11-08-2006 03:23 PM

Damn that's a hell of a scary story, Summo.

Summo 11-08-2006 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;241750]Keep going at it until you see the six pack. Once I finally got that, I became VERY concious of my weight because the fiancee LOVES it and it's like the second I gain a couple pounds, I'm back in the gym making it work again. :biggthump

I can thank Domino's and college for the sixty pounds I put on during those years.[/QUOTE]

What did you do to get it? I have some much loose skin there. I went for the consultation for a tummy tuck, but it is a 7 hour surgery and my insurance doesn't cover it.

TheMalcolmConnection 11-08-2006 03:28 PM

I posted my ab workout a loooong time ago in one of the forums. It takes a while to type, but if you are on a good diet and give it six months, you could definitely make it happen.