Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TC/Preseason injuries (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=30966)

CRedskinsRule 08-05-2009 04:53 PM

TC/Preseason injuries

It's been talked about to death, but for all the conditioning NFL players do, it seems like they could do something better on these type injuries. Last year two injuries (Daniel/Buzbee) cost us a 2nd/6th round picks. This year every day you get multiple texts from ESPN about starters going on IR, today alone the Panthers, Bengals and Texans suffered season changing injuries.
Panthers starting DT - IR
Bengals starting TE - IR
Texans starting CB - out 6-8 weeks with a fractured leg (painful ouch)
add in
Eagles starting MLB - out for season

There are probably more, plus our guys, and I am sure guys through out the league.

Any ideas, or is it even possible to do anything to increase the prevention of pre - season injuries?

Schneed10 08-05-2009 05:00 PM

Re: TC/Preseason injuries

Sh*t happens. Nothing you can do about it, unless you want to turn it into flag or touch football.

You need physical camps to get ready. Ultimately, it's on the coaches and front office to develop adequate depth.

an23dy 08-05-2009 05:01 PM

Injuries are a part of sports, and football is a very physical sport. You have to be physical so that you prepare for what you are going to do. It would be cool if they could do virtual reality football, but that just gets your mind ready and not your body. Drills that work your mind prevent injuries, but you always have to get your body prepared also.

The one thing that I always found weird was all the hamstring injuries. It's the only sport where you get a lot of hamstring injuries. I always wondered why that was. I think it's because they go from doing nothing to going full speed so they're muscles aren't always warmed up and ready to go.

firstdown 08-05-2009 05:03 PM

Injuries is a game of 50% luck and 50% prep. Doing the weight training and stretching can help alot with injuries but after that its all luck.

Skinny Tee 08-05-2009 05:07 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;572857]It's been talked about to death, but for all the conditioning NFL players do, it seems like they could do something better on these type injuries. Last year two injuries (Daniel/Buzbee) cost us a 2nd/6th round picks. This year every day you get multiple texts from ESPN about starters going on IR, today alone the Panthers, Bengals and Texans suffered season changing injuries.
Bengals starting TE - IR
add in

There are probably more, plus our guys, and I am sure guys through out the league.

Any ideas, or is it even possible to do anything to increase the prevention of pre - season injuries?[/quote]

Wear shell like cushions around the skull of the head and the topside of the shoulders. Additional cushioning should be placed around the lower midsection to protect the left and right hip joints, knees and thighs. Place a cage like structure in front of the eyes so as to protect from any stray protrusions into the face.

...This should make them safer.

Trample the Elderly 08-05-2009 05:11 PM

Get them to drive around as high as gas in Filth-a-delphia.

SmootSmack 08-06-2009 10:56 AM

Falcons just lost Harry Douglas for the year

mredskins 08-06-2009 11:10 AM

Devin Thomas Limps Off (Updated)

Devin Thomas came up limping after catching a pass from Colt Brennan. Thomas went to the trainers' tent and emerged limping noticeably with his right leg wrapped. Doesn't look good. Can't tell if it's his calf or knee, but my immediate reaction, based solely on his gait is that we won't see him on the field for a couple of days.

Malcolm Kelly is practicing and looks fine. He appears to be getting a few more reps. Of course, he wasn't hurt; he was just getting the afternoons off as a precaution.

After practice ended at 10:26, Jim Zorn met with reporters and indicated that Thomas' hammy is not pulled. The team is just being cautious with him and wants to make sure nothing gets aggravated.

Zorn added that Santana Moss slightly tweaked his hamstring and had ice on it after practice.

NOT GOOD!

PennSkinsFan 08-06-2009 11:16 AM

[quote=Schneed10;572859]Sh*t happens. Nothing you can do about it, unless you want to turn it into flag or touch football.

You need physical camps to get ready. Ultimately, it's on the coaches and front office to develop adequate depth.[/quote]

Yup. Good post. It happens and it happens to every team. What you hope for is to come out of training camp and pre-season without any significant season ending injuries. But, nagging injuries will occur, some will persists throughout the season.

Coff 08-06-2009 11:17 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;572857]It's been talked about to death, but for all the conditioning NFL players do, it seems like they could do something better on these type injuries. Last year two injuries (Daniel/Buzbee) cost us a 2nd/6th round picks. This year every day you get multiple texts from ESPN about starters going on IR, today alone the Panthers, Bengals and Texans suffered season changing injuries.
Bengals starting TE - IR
add in

Any ideas, or is it even possible to do anything to increase the prevention of pre - season injuries?[/quote]

I wouldn't say that last year injuries cost the Skins a 2nd round pick last year. A stupid, overactive trade cost the Skins a second round pick last.

Anyway, injuries just need to be treated one step at a time. It would be nice to see the construction of a stronger knee brace for o-lineman which will not allow their knee to bend in unnatural directions, since this is a leading cause of their injuries. Of course, a stronger brace would cause less flexibility, but who cares if it's only practice? For the most part, trainers just need to identify individual player needs and use preventative measures, which of course they're probably doing. And we as fans just have to accept that some players are going to get injured. For example, Santana Moss will probably miss about a third of the games this year with a pulled hamstring, and half of the games in which he does play he will not be at full speed.

KLHJ2 08-06-2009 11:20 AM

[quote=mredskins;573076]Devin Thomas Limps Off (Updated)

Devin Thomas came up limping after catching a pass from Colt Brennan. Thomas went to the trainers' tent and emerged limping noticeably with his right leg wrapped. Doesn't look good. Can't tell if it's his calf or knee, but my immediate reaction, based solely on his gait is that we won't see him on the field for a couple of days.

Malcolm Kelly is practicing and looks fine. He appears to be getting a few more reps. Of course, he wasn't hurt; he was just getting the afternoons off as a precaution.

After practice ended at 10:26, Jim Zorn met with reporters and indicated that Thomas' hammy is not pulled. The team is just being cautious with him and wants to make sure nothing gets aggravated.

Zorn added that Santana Moss slightly tweaked his hamstring and had ice on it after practice.

NOT GOOD![/quote]

Nothing a couple of days of rest won't fix. They will be fine, they still have over a month before the season opener. Besides, it's not like the Skins are the only team suffering from injury. Many teams have it worse right now.

This should cheer you up. If it were a game situation, they would more than likely play through it.

PennSkinsFan 08-06-2009 11:20 AM

[quote=Coff;573087]I wouldn't say that last year injuries cost the Skins a 2nd round pick last year. A stupid, overactive trade cost the Skins a second round pick last.

Anyway, injuries just need to be treated one step at a time. It would be nice to see the construction of a stronger knee brace for o-lineman which will not allow their knee to bend in unnatural directions, since this is a leading cause of their injuries. Of course, a stronger brace would cause less flexibility, but who cares if it's only practice? For the most part, trainers just need to identify individual player needs and use preventative measures, which of course they're probably doing. And we as fans just have to accept that some players are going to get injured. For example, Santana Moss will probably miss about a third of the games this year with a pulled hamstring, and half of the games in which he does play he will not be at full speed.[/quote]

I agree. Injuries or not, a second round pick for a washed up, already slowed DE was really, really dumb. That's been rehashed. But it is true. Not too many GMs would have made that boneheaded move. 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder, maybe, but 2nd rounder, we were robbed.

dmek25 08-06-2009 11:23 AM

schneed, i heard on comcast Philly this morning that Andrews hurt his back again. you hear anything about that?

SmootSmack 08-06-2009 11:27 AM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;573092]I agree. Injuries or not, a second round pick for a washed up, already slowed DE was really, really dumb. That's been rehashed. But it is true. Not too many GMs would have made that boneheaded move. 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder, maybe, but 2nd rounder, we were robbed.[/quote]

What do you mean he was washed up, already slowed? It's one thing to object to the trade but no way was Taylor washed up.

Lotus 08-06-2009 11:36 AM

[quote=PennSkinsFan;573092]I agree. Injuries or not, a second round pick for a washed up, already slowed DE was really, really dumb. That's been rehashed. But it is true. Not too many GMs would have made that boneheaded move. 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder, maybe, but 2nd rounder, we were robbed.[/quote]

JT had 11 sacks the year before we got him. How is that washed up?