Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Updated: Redskins Trade for Vikings DE Erasmus James (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23563)

SmootSmack 05-27-2008 05:02 PM

re: Updated: Redskins Trade for Vikings DE Erasmus James

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club;450189]I just saw on Redskins.com that we TRADED for James. A conditional 7th round pick. Wasn't he cut? That's BS. Only the Redskins could trade for a player that was cut. Also, what does that mean for salary? Instead of picking him up as a FA and giving him a vet. minimum, are we now liable for the rookie 1st Round salary that he's supposed to get paid? Anyone know what that is? This doesn't smell right...[/QUOTE]

Well, the Vikings had actually changed their mind on waiving him. There is some loophole that lets you do that. I think after he's gone through 24 hours on the waiver wire, or something like that.

Either way, this is a bit of a headscratcher. I mean a conditional 7th round pick isn't grand larceny. But what about my main men Wilson and Buzbee? I really wanted James though...back in March 2005. Now? Not so much.

Let's see what happens

Big question: Does he get the vet min?

SmootSmack 05-27-2008 05:05 PM

Re: Updated: Redskins Trade for Vikings DE Erasmus James

I've updated the thread title

I guess the Jason Taylor talk is probably out now

Mixed emotions on this. It's not a terrible move, but seems kind of pointless.

Ade Jimoh Fan Club 05-27-2008 05:11 PM

Just noticed that John Palermo, our D-Line Coach, coached James at Wisconsin, so he at least knows what he's getting in terms of character/work ethic.

The injured legs is the biggest concern. Is the conditional 7th rounder structured so that we give them a 7th rounder IF he plays XX% of games/downs? Or is it structured so that the pick we give them goes HIGHER if he plays XX% games/downs. Surely a 7th rounder is not a problem to trade for him if he works out - even if he's simply solid D-Line depth. 7th rounders rarely turn out that good.

Second biggest concern is the salary. I'm sure his 1st Rounder rookie contract has some big $$ thrown in for this year and next - are we now liable? 7th Rounder and Vet Min. for a guy that the coaches know is a good deal. Otherwise, we've been hoodwinked.

EARTHQUAKE2689 05-27-2008 05:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;450194]I've updated the thread title

I guess the Jason Taylor talk is probably out now

Mixed emotions on this. It's not a terrible move, but seems kind of pointless.[/quote]

If he is able to come in and be even a RELIABLE backup then it would have been a very good move

vallin21 05-27-2008 05:21 PM

Great move. This will give him motivation to do well since this is his last year of his contract

steveo395 05-27-2008 05:21 PM

Hopefully the deal is that we give a 7th if he makes the team and nothing if he doesn't make it.

wilsowilso 05-27-2008 05:21 PM

This is a great move. James is an absolute handful as a pass rusher. We just need to get lucky with his knees. If he can stay healthy he makes the team easily. Buzbee and Wilson are just nowhere near James in terms of strength at the point of attack and talent. This guy is definitely someone you want to take a gamble on.

SmootSmack 05-27-2008 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=Ade Jimoh Fan Club;450196]Just noticed that John Palermo, our D-Line Coach, coached James at Wisconsin, so he at least knows what he's getting in terms of character/work ethic.

The injured legs is the biggest concern. Is the conditional 7th rounder structured so that we give them a 7th rounder IF he plays XX% of games/downs? Or is it structured so that the pick we give them goes HIGHER if he plays XX% games/downs. Surely a 7th rounder is not a problem to trade for him if he works out - even if he's simply solid D-Line depth. 7th rounders rarely turn out that good.

Second biggest concern is the salary. I'm sure his 1st Rounder rookie contract has some big $$ thrown in for this year and next - are we now liable? 7th Rounder and Vet Min. for a guy that the coaches know is a good deal. Otherwise, we've been hoodwinked.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had never made that connection about Palermro before.

As for the pick, apparently if he makes the team the Vikings get our 7th round pick and if he doesn't they don't

SmootSmack 05-27-2008 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=steveo395;450199]Hopefully the deal is that we give a 7th if he makes the team and nothing if he doesn't make it.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right

SeanTaylor21 05-27-2008 05:24 PM

Good move, hopefully when Erasmus and Chris Wilson hit the field at the same time hopefully they can bring a good pash rush.

J. Spanky 05-27-2008 05:36 PM

good move by vinny. f the naysayers. the DE we drafted in THIS years seventh round is no lock to make the roster. regardless of his injury history, we got a 1st round talent for a 7th round pick. even if we end up cutting him, that's the same risk we'd be running using the pick on a rookie next year.

also, i can't imagine why so many people are ready to banish this kid to the CFL just because the vikes cut him. who cares??? sometimes a player doesn't fit the team. sometimes a team doesn't fit the player. how quickly we forget that this is the same vikings administration that recently cut our beloved smoot....

SmootSmack 05-27-2008 05:41 PM

I don't care that the Vikings cut him, or thought about cutting him. That means nothing. My only concern is his health, or lack thereof. How long until his next crippling injury?

wilsowilso 05-27-2008 05:46 PM

He had three operations on the same knee. The first two were performed by a doctor not named James Andrews. The last surgery performed in early December was performed by Dr. James Andrews. Hopefully he will be all fixed now because if Andrews can't fix it you are done.

J. Spanky 05-27-2008 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;450207]I don't care that the Vikings cut him, or thought about cutting him. That means nothing. My only concern is his health, or lack thereof. How long until his next crippling injury?[/QUOTE]

or jansen's or thomas' or griff's or marcus' or moss' or springs' or... you get my point.

of course his injuries are a concern. but i'd say our pass rush is a far greater concern. considering we did virtually nothing to address it in the draft/free agency, i'd say the potential reward here far outweighs the risk.

Dirtbag59 05-27-2008 05:54 PM

I'll be damned. Guess Cerrato wasn't kidding when they said they like adding guys who have experience with the coaching staff. Oh well we got the fan base screaming [I]low risk, high reward[/I], which is true but when 45 people say it like they're the first ones to notice, it gets annoying.

Anyway even though this falls under the fans acting like kids in the cereal aisle with "[I]this guy was released lets get him, or this guy this guy and this guy how about that guy mom I want him he's a 1st round pick buy me a country"[/I] its still nice to have some news at this point, and on top of that it's not the type that makes me say what were they thinking, kind of like my initial reaction during the draft or the signing of a deviant like Mathis, but I guess that balanced out when they signed the equally righthous JT Mapu, because you know thats how the world works.

In other news we've lost mini-Strahan aka Dorian Smith as a result. Fire Cerrato.

Also Scouting report from 2005. Things to notice:
1. 8 sacks his senior year
2. His nickname is the eraser
3. Durability concerns

[B]Strengths:[/B] Has adequate overall size, a terrific frame and the potential to get bigger. Has a powerful upper body. Knocks offensive linemen back upon initial contact. Is athletic and smooth. Has the COD skills to work back inside as a pass rusher. Has long arms and has learned to use them well. Has shown much improved array of pass rush moves. Is quicker than fast. Has very good anticipation and initial quickness. Fires off the ball quickly and with good leverage Has good instincts and does a fine job of locating the ball. Is disciplined for such a productive pass rusher. Does a good job of keeping contain. Played with a much higher motor in 2004. Fights through double teams and shows terrific stamina. Shows very good closing burst to the quarterback. Is a powerful tackler that also has improved in terms of wrapping up in space. Will chase and pursue versus the run.

[B]Weaknesses:[/B] Lack of ideal base is a concern. Still needs to improve lower body strength. Must be able to hold his ground better at the POA in the NFL. Has adequate top-end speed for an edge rusher but not elite. Won't be able to turn the corner as easily in the NFL. Durability is a severe concern.

[B]Overall:[/B] James improved his draft value as much or more than any other prospect in the 2005 class as a senior in 2004. After sitting out the entire 2003 season with a hip injury there were lots of questions about James' durability, shape, explosiveness and strength. With 34 total tackles, including 11.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks in 10-of-11 regular season games played in 2004, the fifth-year senior put a lot of those fears to rest. James did miss one game in 2004 due to an ankle injury but it was not serious and he showed no ill effects from the previous season's hip injury. James lacks elite top-end speed and he still must improve his bulk and lower body strength, but his improvement as a senior shocking. He played with better technique, a much higher motor, showed more power at the POA and also showed much more explosive burst when closing in on the quarterback/ball carrier. He could slip a little bit due to his durability concerns but James played his way into the first round of the upcoming draft.

[B]*[/B] Player biographies are provided by [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=ScoutsInc"][COLOR=#000000]Scouts Inc.[/COLOR][/URL]

More Recent Scouting Report:

2007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
[B]Grade:[/B] 62 | [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/scouts/news/story?id=2996209"][COLOR=#000000]Key[/COLOR][/URL]
[B]Alert:[/B] EI

[B]Comment: [/B]James brings tremendous potential having shown flashes of explosive ability as a pure pass rusher especially the second half of his rookie season finishing with four sacks, two passes defended and 29 combined tackles only to tear his ACL early in his second season. James brings an explosive first step, terrific edge speed and excellent athleticism in the pass rush. His lateral explosiveness may be affected following his knee surgery as well as his change of direction skills. James has impressive football instincts along with body control and outstanding use of his hands that help him both separate from blockers and win in pass rush situations. James compensates for being undersized playing with good knee bend and leverage, yet versus the run he struggles to hold point and cannot anchor against bigger offensive linemen. This lack of bulk and strength is a liability especially when opponents attack his edge in the run game. The major question will be how this young athlete whose game depends on speed, quickness and athleticism will return from major knee surgery.