Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25030)

MTK 09-06-2008 11:09 AM

Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

I've gotta say I'm pretty amazed over the reaction from Redskins fans since Thurs. night. Not just here but from all over the place.

I can understand people being frustrated. We waited all off season for this and we laid a stinker in week 1. But let's be realistic... people are already planning for Zorn's successor, people already have their minds made up that Campbell is not the guy and should either be benched or traded, the depth that got us through last season is somehow non-existent, there should be no learning curve for a rookie HC working with a young QB, Jason Taylor is a waste of a pick, I could go on and on.

My message is simple: it's a long season, 1 down and 15 more to go. As we've seen in past seasons a lot can change during the course of a season. One week you can look like the worst team in the league and the next you're the hottest team in the NFL tearing things up on a late season playoff run.

Before you try to write this off as Matty the optimist just trying to sugar coat things or make excuses, just know that I was in no way satisfied with what I saw the other night. The offense needs major work and the defense also needs some fine tuning. Zorn has a lot of work to do and much to prove.

And I don't think it's unrealistic or making an excuse to say that we need to give this thing some time to work. How much time? I don't know exactly, maybe 4 weeks, or maybe even half the season before we start seeing things coming together. What I do know is one game is not a reasonably fair body of work to judge and evaluate the Zorn era, in fact I'm downright embarrassed to read some of the fan reactions out there this week. And the media is just eating it up and piling on as well.

Stay classy Skins fans, we're smarter than that. At least I thought we were.

Redskin Warrior 09-06-2008 11:15 AM

Re: Don't you think we are overreacting just a bit??

You can never satisfy Redskin fans ever. IF we won we should won by this amount, we lost bring me JC & Zorn's head Warpath will never change Matty.

That Guy 09-06-2008 11:28 AM

kinda have to agree... you can't look that bad in preseason and not have it carry over either (remember gibbs "that's not the real offense" preseason... and it turned out it was... and we went 6-10).

new system, new coach, and we don't have the right pieces for the WCO maybe (two tiny WRs, a vertical QB).

honestly, last year's offense was pretty much suited to our talents... lots of screens, cooley patterns and RB dump offs.

not saying they can't make it work, but it's going to take a while.

Rajmahal33 09-06-2008 11:37 AM

I agree, we are overreacting BIG time here and I am definitely taking the positives from this game (like the D, the experience of playing on a big stage, etc)...But, Matty, why does this amaze you? You more than anyone else should know how fickle us skins fans are. In general we are not the most patient bunch, haha. It's just the regular "the sky is falling" routine after a loss. I say being a quiet observer is the best thing in this instance. That way when we do start winning games you can pull the "i told you so" card.

celts32 09-06-2008 11:38 AM

I agree completely and it's not just redskins fans...I listen to Sirius Radio and the consensus that I heard on there yesterday is that the redskins are pretty much the worst team in the league. It's never as good or bad as it looks.

The only major problem i had on thursday was with Zorn not running a hurryup offense with 6 minutes left...that was bushleague. Zorn acknowledge the mistake yesterday so hopefully it won't happen again. As for the performance overall, it was bad but we need to give it more then one game before jumping to conclusions. Honestly, I am more worried about the defense then the offense...we had a bad passing game last year also but our defense stopped the run and kept us in most games...this defense has been leaky to say the least so far.

MTK 09-06-2008 11:46 AM

[quote=Rajmahal33;473270]I agree, we are overreacting BIG time here and I am definitely taking the positives from this game (like the D, the experience of playing on a big stage, etc)...But, Matty, why does this amaze you? You more than anyone else should know how fickle us skins fans are. In general we are not the most patient bunch, haha. It's just the regular "the sky is falling" routine after a loss. I say being a quiet observer is the best thing in this instance. That way when we do start winning games you can pull the "i told you so" card.[/quote]

I guess maybe it's just the timing of the overreactions. Week 1 and people are already pulling the plug.

Twilbert07 09-06-2008 11:46 AM

I hope we are overreacting and that Week 1 was not an indication of how we will play all season.

That said, Zorn's clock management while we still had a chance to win, was hard to take - especially on national TV, and especially from a former QB. It's hard to feel that Synder gave Skins fan what we deserve: the best-available head coaching candidate. I'm behind Zorn, but he did look in over his head Thursday night.

I'm a die-hard fan and will cheer for them every game, regardless of what happens. We're a playoff team, and I hope we pick up where we left off last season.

saden1 09-06-2008 11:51 AM

Yes and no. The clock management was abysmal and inexcusable even for a rookie head coach.

Stacks42 09-06-2008 11:56 AM

My point is the skins had an extra preseason game to prepare for this. They came out completely flat on both sides of the ball, and it ultimately cost them the game.

2 weeks ago, it was a "wake up call" against the panthers, well no one woke up. Last week it was an eye opener, well someone fell asleep on the job. Everyone said "its preseason, wait until it really counts" well we saw they performed, when it really counted, and that is very disappointing.

I can understand an tolerate a loss, its the NFL it happens. But to have your team manhandled like they were in the 1st quarter is embarrassing. Our O-line looked over matched against a team that lost its 2 top defenders, our D line was non-existent, the corners and safeties looked like they had no clue what was going on until the 2nd half. And Campbell well, he was just horrible, there is going to be a learning curve (I am interested to see how Farve does this season, he is in a new system, will it take him 2 years to learn how to play the game he has played his whole life?)

Its hard to be too optimistic when you have one of the hardest schedules in the league, and you can't get positive yardage and a first down, until the very end of the first half!
Lastly I saw a total lack of urgency in Zorn’s play calling, running up the gut is going to wear down Portis, arguably our best player, and then we are in real trouble.

If the skins had merely lost I could have accepted, but they were dominated. There are a myriad of problems on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, and our season does not get much easier.

724Skinsfan 09-06-2008 11:56 AM

But I just finished crafting my Jim Zorn voodoo doll. Let me make an example out of his incompetence. Stupid fool should be perfect in his coaching debut! he should have made an immediate adaption after the first quarter. These games go by so slow for first time head coaches that he could have made adjustments and perfected his clock management. But, alas, it's totally impossible for him to learn from this game and get better. Everybody knows if you don't blow out your opponent and play mistake free football as a first time head coach in your first game that your destined for spurrierocrity. Stupid Zorn. I hate him and can't wait to read bad things about him in the paper.

Defensewins 09-06-2008 12:05 PM

I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

What has me frustrated is I did not like some of the moves that were made this off season and I expected the team to regress in the short term future. But I at the same time I look for some consistent level of play and discipline in the fundamentals. What I saw in the preseason and game 1 is we regressed in this measure.
I just want to see our team, especially on defense, play well. Even if we do not win. We are going to beat lesser teams, but i want to see us play to a certain standard, even if we lose to a better team.
We are currently not doing that and that is what has me frustrated. To read post of people saying our defense played well in game 1 frustrates me. To my eye of what is a good defense, our defense did not play well and truthfully is not very good.
When our defense gives up 5.1 yds a carry, we will not win many games or make the playoffs. Plain and simple. That was not good defense regardless of the score.
This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.

DirtyLandry 09-06-2008 12:21 PM

YES. It's a shame there are so many half-wit impetuous redskins fans. It's been like the goddamn Salem witch trials. Our rookie head coach lost to the Superbowl champions by 9 points and we want to burn him alive. Joe Gibbs lost his first 6 games in Washington. Was the game ugly? Yeah it was, but give the guy a chance. And to all of you "casual observers of the game"... Stop with this bench Jason Campbell madness. It's childish, moronic and anyone who would say such a thing knows absolutely nothing about pro football!!!!

htownskinfan 09-06-2008 12:22 PM

[quote=Stacks42;473276]My point is the skins had an extra preseason game to prepare for this. They came out completely flat on both sides of the ball, and it ultimately cost them the game.

2 weeks ago, it was a "wake up call" against the panthers, well no one woke up. Last week it was an eye opener, well someone fell asleep on the job. Everyone said "its preseason, wait until it really counts" well we saw they performed, when it really counted, and that is very disappointing.

I can understand an tolerate a loss, its the NFL it happens. But to have your team manhandled like they were in the 1st quarter is embarrassing. Our O-line looked over matched against a team that lost its 2 top defenders, our D line was non-existent, the corners and safeties looked like they had no clue what was going on until the 2nd half. And Campbell well, he was just horrible, there is going to be a learning curve (I am interested to see how Farve does this season, he is in a new system, will it take him 2 years to learn how to play the game he has played his whole life?)

Its hard to be too optimistic when you have one of the hardest schedules in the league, and you can't get positive yardage and a first down, until the very end of the first half!
Lastly I saw a total lack of urgency in Zorn’s play calling, running up the gut is going to wear down Portis, arguably our best player, and then we are in real trouble.

If the skins had merely lost I could have accepted, but they were dominated. There are a myriad of problems on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball, and our season does not get much easier.[/quote]

good post

DirtyLandry 09-06-2008 12:27 PM

[quote=Stacks42;473276]

I can understand an tolerate a loss, its the NFL it happens. But to have your team manhandled like they were in the 1st quarter is embarrassing. Our O-line looked over matched against a team that lost its 2 top defenders, our D line was non-existent, the corners and safeties looked like they had no clue what was going on until the 2nd half. And Campbell well, he was just horrible, there is going to be a learning curve (I am interested to see how Farve does this season, he is in a new system, will it take him 2 years to learn how to play the game he has played his whole life?)[/quote]

Campbell was horrible?? an 81.6 passer rating is horrible? And did you just compare him to Farve? Eli manning might have had more yards but had a far worse passer rating and threw an interception (probably should have been 5 picks.) People like you are why it's hard to be a skins fan.

Stacks42 09-06-2008 12:40 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;473283]Campbell was horrible?? an 81.6 passer rating is horrible? And did you just compare him to Farve? Eli manning might have had more yards but had a far worse passer rating and threw an interception (probably should have been 5 picks.) People like you are why it's hard to be a skins fan.[/quote]

15 of 27 55.6% for 133 yds an average of 4.9 yd per play, yes that is horrible. Great to have a awesome passer rating when all you are doing is dumping the ball off, didn't Brunell set some type of completion record a couple years ago doing the same thing?
My comparison to farve was in how he would fair with the learning curve, they are completly different QBs. I was just saying if you have been working on something for 6 months, you should be able to show something.

Stacks42 09-06-2008 12:47 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;473283]Campbell was horrible?? an 81.6 passer rating is horrible? And did you just compare him to Farve? Eli manning might have had more yards but had a far worse passer rating and threw an interception (probably should have been 5 picks.) [B]People like you are why it's hard to be a skins fan[/B].[/quote]

If you think Campbell had a great game, than you must be drinking the kool-aid from the fire hose!

MTK 09-06-2008 12:47 PM

[quote=Defensewins;473278]I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

What has me frustrated is I did not like some of the moves that were made this off season and I expected the team to regress in the short term future. But I at the same time I look for some consistent level of play and discipline in the fundamentals. What I saw in the preseason and game 1 is we regressed in this measure.
I just want to see our team, especially on defense, play well. Even if we do not win. We are going to beat lesser teams, but i want to see us play to a certain standard, even if we lose to a better team.
We are currently not doing that and that is what has me frustrated. To read post of people saying our defense played well in game 1 frustrates me. To my eye of what is a good defense, our defense did not play well and truthfully is not very good.
When our defense gives up 5.1 yds a carry, we will not win many games or make the playoffs. Plain and simple. That was not good defense regardless of the score.
This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.[/quote]

Was the defense really the problem though?

They tightened up in the 2nd half (42 yard rushing allowed vs. 74 in the first half) and kept us in the game and only allowed 1 TD. If we had any hint of an offense that was a very winnable game.

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.

Stacks42 09-06-2008 12:55 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473288]Was the defense really the problem though?

They tightened up in the 2nd half (42 yard rushing allowed vs. 74 in the first half) and kept us in the game and only allowed 1 TD. If we had any hint of an offense that was a very winnable game.

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.[/quote]

I said earlier in this thread that the D looked bad, but I agree that they will pick it up. The first half was not good for them, but they were on the field nearly the whole half. When Springs comes back and Rogers, McIntosh as well as Landry get their "football legs" under them, the D will be just fine.

Redskin Warrior 09-06-2008 12:57 PM

[quote=Stacks42;473287]If you think Campbell had a great game, than you must be drinking the kool-aid from the fire hose![/quote]

I don't think he had a great game but he was decent considering the play of the o-line & receivers

GoSkins! 09-06-2008 01:00 PM

Are we over-reacting

[B]Yes
[/B][LIST][*]To say that the QB needs to go and that Zorn should be replaced is definitely over-reacting.[/LIST][B] No [/B][LIST][*]To say that we have looked flat for three games and that the primary responsibility of that lies on the coach is a reasonable reaction.[*] To say Campbell shouldn't be staring down his receivers is reasonable.[*]To say that 4 completions on third down that all fall short of a first down is unacceptable is a valid opinion.[*]To say that clock management was terrible even for a high school coach and QB is just a factual observation.[/LIST]
For me, personally, I believe that since Snyder picked a QB coach with no real HC experience, new offensive system, and a young QB, we have to have a long leash. I'll give Zorn all year as long as I see some basic progress being made and see him stand strong under adversity. What I have had a hard time stomaching is him calling out guys in public and not taking responsibility himself. Now that he has finally done that (in his Friday press conference and player meetings), I feel much more confident that he will adjust to the players some, work on himself, and still hold guys to a high standard. Owning up is rule number one for being a true leader.
Glad to see he finally did it...

MTK 09-06-2008 01:03 PM

[quote=GoSkins!;473292]The answer is yes and no.
Are we over-reacting?
Yes - To say that the QB needs to go and that Zorn should be replaced is definitely over-reacting.
No - To say that we have looked flat for three games and that the primary responsibility of that lies on the coach is a reasonable reaction.
To say Campbell shouldn't be staring down his receivers is reasonable. To say that 4 completions on third down that all fall short of a first down is unacceptable is a valid opinion. To say that clock management was terrible even for a high school coach and QB is just a factual observation.

For me, personally, I believe that since Snyder picked a QB coach with no real HC experience, new offensive system, and a young QB, we have to have a long leash. I'll give Zorn all year as long as I see some basic progress being made and see him stand strong under adversity. What I have had a hard time stomaching is him calling out guys in public and not taking responsibility himself. Now that he has finally done that (in his Friday press conference and player meetings), I feel much more confident that he will adjust to the players some, work on himself, and still hold guys to a high standard. [B]Owning up is rule number one for being a true leader.
Glad to see he finally did it[/B]...[/quote]

Finally? He's been pretty candid about shouldering blame and what his responsibilities are as head coach from day one.

GMScud 09-06-2008 01:29 PM

My big problem wasn't that we got beaten, it was where we got beaten. We were flat out pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Redskins football is supposed to be the other way around. The offensive line had a poor preseason, and Thursday didn't help my feelings on that. We've already seen Jansen get benched, and Casey got manhandled. We had no push in the run game.

And the defensive line just doesn't look like a tough group. They were about as solid as wet toilet paper.

If we don't turn things around on the line of scrimmage, it's going to be a long painful season.

As far as fans overreacting, what else is new? The way the game ended was a joke, and I do understand the outrage over that . Zorn has been around the NFL for over 30 years. Did he miss the memo stating there is no such thing as a 3 point conversion? How do we not kick a field goal and go for an onsides kick?

Anway, as fans we should be smart enough not to give up on the coach, the team, and the season after one bad game. I was listening to Czaban (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) yesterday, and some of the callers were just pathetic. One lady suggested all the fans boycott the games and pickett outside FedEx field. Another guy said we'll go 3-13, fire Zorn, and hire Cowher. Come on people.

GTripp0012 09-06-2008 01:30 PM

[quote=Defensewins;473278]I am not amazed. After spending an entire off season reading post here on TWP of a certain group of very overly optimistic fans saying we were a top team in the NFC east, I was expecting this to happen. I was expecting this kind of reaction from fans. These are the same fans that cried foul when the 'so called' professional prognosticators had us coming in last or next to last in the NFC east this season.

This was an above average playoff team last year. We are currently not as good as were last year, I think I can be disappointed and frustrated in the level of play.[/quote]Good post.

GTripp0012 09-06-2008 01:35 PM

[quote=Stacks42;473285]15 of 27 55.6% for 133 yds an average of 4.9 yd per play, yes that is horrible. Great to have a awesome passer rating when all you are doing is dumping the ball off, didn't Brunell set some type of completion record a couple years ago doing the same thing?
My comparison to farve was in how he would fair with the learning curve, they are completly different QBs. I was just saying if you have been working on something for 6 months, you should be able to show something.[/quote]Yeah, I agree with you that his statline shows that Campbell was inefficient/ineffective, but shouldn't "horrible" imply a few critical INTs...much less no INTs?

Paintrain 09-06-2008 01:41 PM

[quote=GMScud;473294]My big problem wasn't that we got beaten, it was where we got beaten. We were flat out pushed around in the trenches on both sides of the ball. [b]Redskins football[/b] is supposed to be the other way around. The offensive line had a poor preseason, and Thursday didn't help my feelings on that. We've already seen Jansen get benched, and Casey got manhandled. We had no push in the run game.

And the defensive line just doesn't look like a tough group. They were about as solid as wet toilet paper.

If we don't turn things around on the line of scrimmage, it's going to be a long painful season.

As far as fans overreacting, what else is new? The way the game ended was a joke, and I do understand the outrage over that . Zorn has been around the NFL for over 30 years. Did he miss the memo stating there is no such thing as a 3 point conversion? How do we not kick a field goal and go for an onsides kick?

Anway, as fans we should be smart enough not to give up on the coach, the team, and the season after one bad game. I was listening to Czaban (yes I'm a glutton for punishment) yesterday, and some of the callers were just pathetic. One lady suggested all the fans boycott the games and pickett outside FedEx field. Another guy said we'll go 3-13, fire Zorn, and hire Cowher. Come on people.[/quote]
First of all Matty, good original post, excellent points that everyone needs to just calm the f*ck down. If we beat NO next Sunday at home, all of the sudden we've knocked off a leading NFC contender and may be on the way towards a surprise season..

Now, to the bolded part of the quote, I'm sick and tired of hearing about 'Redskins football is' blah blah blah.. We're like the only franchise/fan base rooted in the mentality of the past. Is 'Patriots football' winging it around the field because that's what they've done for 40 years? No, it's because their talent dictates it and they win. 'Packer football' was a tough grind it out team that would physically bludgeon you, until Brett Favre started slinging it downfield and they started winning.

Bottom line, whatever makes you a winner with the talent you have, that's 'your football'. To paraphrase Rick Pitino-Joe Jacoby isn't walking thru that door folks, Russ Grimm isn't walking thru that door, John Riggins isn't walking thru that door. Either we win or lose with the talent we have but shoehorning our team into 'Redskins football' is just sports talk radio fodder.

Redskin Warrior 09-06-2008 01:45 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;473296]Yeah, I agree with you that his statline shows that Campbell was inefficient/ineffective, but shouldn't "horrible" imply a few critical INTs...much less no INTs?[/quote]

I 2nd that

WaldSkins 09-06-2008 01:53 PM

At least we didn't hear the "they fought their guts out speech".

GMScud 09-06-2008 01:58 PM

[quote=Paintrain;473298]First of all Matty, good original post, excellent points that everyone needs to just calm the f*ck down. If we beat NO next Sunday at home, all of the sudden we've knocked off a leading NFC contender and may be on the way towards a surprise season..

Now, to the bolded part of the quote, I'm sick and tired of hearing about 'Redskins football is' blah blah blah.. We're like the only franchise/fan base rooted in the mentality of the past. Is 'Patriots football' winging it around the field because that's what they've done for 40 years? No, it's because their talent dictates it and they win. 'Packer football' was a tough grind it out team that would physically bludgeon you, until Brett Favre started slinging it downfield and they started winning.

Bottom line, whatever makes you a winner with the talent you have, that's 'your football'. To paraphrase Rick Pitino-Joe Jacoby isn't walking thru that door folks, Russ Grimm isn't walking thru that door, John Riggins isn't walking thru that door. Either we win or lose with the talent we have but shoehorning our team into 'Redskins football' is just sports talk radio fodder.[/quote]

You're absolutely correct about winning with the talent you have, and how you win is certainly "your football." That doesn't mean there can't be a sense of pride about a tradition surrounding your team. Success on any team starts at the line of scrimmage, particularly the offensive line, and all of our past achievements featured strong OL's. Also, we've got one of the best O-line coaches in league history. Bugel is a huge reason the phrase "Redskins Football" exists.

Would it make you feel better if I just say, "the offesive line is supposed to be a big part of our identity as a team?" That's really all I mean when I say "Redskins Football."

WaldSkins 09-06-2008 02:09 PM

The biggest problems i got from this game was:

* I thought that we should have been blitzing a lot more.
* JC staring down his receivers and throwing to short on third downs.
* Poor clock management.
* Running on first and long, second and long, and throwing only on third and long early in the game.

All these can be fixed with some more game time for this team and its rookie head coach. I think a lot of people are just so upset because they know how hard our first five games are and how we need to start out on a good start.

drew54 09-06-2008 02:21 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473288]Was the defense really the problem though?

Yes the D needs some improvement, but I'm not sure why you are so focused on them vs. the offense, which needs a vast improvement.[/quote]

I have always felt if you cannot score 21 points you dont deserve to win.

Defense gave up 16, that should be a winnable game 100% of the time.

The Goat 09-06-2008 02:56 PM

I think Matty is right on about the overreaction we've seen both among us fans and in the media. Probably what pisses me off most about the cries of a falling sky and whatnot is how the debate/discussion over the fundamentals gets relegated. I come to this forum hoping to learn more about all aspects of professional football and since the loss Thursday there hasn't been much serious analysis about how we're running the WCO, what could work better, etc. Obviously the offense will have to make some adjustments to have success. I'm not hearing much for ideas around here (or elsewhere).

2BIG2BSKINNY 09-06-2008 03:05 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;473281]YES. It's a shame there are so many half-wit impetuous redskins fans. It's been like the goddamn Salem witch trials. Our rookie head coach lost to the Superbowl champions by 9 points and we want to burn him alive. Joe Gibbs lost his first 6 games in Washington. Was the game ugly? Yeah it was, but give the guy a chance. And to all of you "casual observers of the game"... Stop with this bench Jason Campbell madness. It's childish, moronic and anyone who would say such a thing knows absolutely nothing about pro football!!!![/quote]

you said it best!!!
As bad as they were they lost to the champs...I am waiting to get them back at our home later in the season when we hand them a sound thumping...Bring it!

People I think are just a little let down from waiting the whole off season and getting a very obvious team that needs more time to develop. I think if we put anything together offensively in the game we would have won...We didn't so we wait for week 2.

The saints are pretty week in defense...so I want 14 -21 points...not unrealistic I don't think!

mooby 09-06-2008 03:12 PM

Don't expect us to roll over the Saints, they did a great job shoring up their d this offseason with Jonathan Vilma and Sedrick Ellis.

We've got plenty of work to do, obviously, but I'm not jumping ship just yet. This probably has more to do with the fact that I missed the game because I had to work.

I still hold out hope that Zorn will identify all the mistakes made in the game, including his, and correct them this week in practice. From what I've seen most of the mistakes we made were very basic fundamental ones so they shouldn't be too hard to fix.

skinsfan69 09-06-2008 03:19 PM

I think people just need to realize that man for man we just don't match up with the top teams in the NFL. We lack true playmakers on both sides of the ball and we are not a strong team in the trenches. When you add on that fact that our front office is below average and we've got a rookie head coach that looks to be a little in over his head you've got a 4-6 win team. Sometimes people just need to face the facts. I know it sucks cause we homers tend to think our guys are better then they really are. I think that's just the case, not only around here but all over town. Once people realize it then maybe we won't see all the overreacting.

coggs 09-06-2008 03:20 PM

[quote=The Goat;473304]I think Matty is right on about the overreaction we've seen both among us fans and in the media.[/quote]I think that is just the nature of the die-hard fan. We have so much passion that we take it harder when our team(s) perform poorly. $h!t, some of you probably remember my old signature and was bashing the Giants up until they beat Tampa Bay in the first round of the play-offs. My brother who is a steelers fan laughs at me because he thinks I am a putz because the day after the Super Bowl I was saying that despite the run, I wasn't convinced that Eli had actually turned the corner as a QB and didn't just happen to get hot at the right time.

RMSkins 09-06-2008 03:22 PM

[quote=2BIG2BSKINNY;473307]you said it best!!!
As bad as they were they lost to the champs...I am waiting to get them back at our home later in the season when we hand them a sound thumping...Bring it!

People I think are just a little let down from waiting the whole off season and getting a very obvious team that needs more time to develop. I think if we put anything together offensively in the game we would have won...We didn't so we wait for week 2.

The saints are pretty week in defense...so I want 14 -21 points...not unrealistic I don't think![/quote]
If we don't score more than 14 points against the Saints than this offense truly is pathetic.

Schneed10 09-06-2008 03:22 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;473273]I guess maybe it's just the timing of the overreactions. Week 1 and people are already pulling the plug.[/quote]

Well, I guess it kind of depends on what your definition of "overreaction" is.

If I said that based on what I saw in the preseason, and what I saw the other night, that we will not make the playoffs this season, is that an overreaction? I don't think so at all.

Now, am I saying ridiculous things like trading for Jason Taylor was a bad idea, and Jason Campbell is all wrong for the WCO? Hell no. But I definitely don't think we'll make the playoffs.

You said yourself the offense clearly needs time, alluding to the length of time Hasselbeck took to get up to speed in Seattle as precedent. And if you're willing to wait half a season for the offense to come around, aren't you really saying that you don't expect us to win very much during the first half of the year?

I mean, our defense is solid, but it's not spectacular. It's basically the same group from last year with the same schemes, which placed 9th in the NFL. That's above average, but not good enough to win games for us while our offense finds its way, a la Trent Dilfer and the 2000 Ravens.

Now's about the time during this post when people start saying, "well yeah but it's still possible, there are 15 games left." Of course it's possible, that's not the question. Is it PROBABLE? That's the question.

If our expectations are that the offense will struggle as JC learns it, then we can't possibly expect the 'Skins to beat Dallas in Dallas and Philly in Philly, can we? It's possible, but not probable.

I'll give you this, an overreaction would be to say that it's impossible for the 'Skins to make the playoffs. But it would be right on point to say they probably won't - anything else is irrational exuberance buoyed by the emotional hopes of a football-starved fan in early September.

Schneed10 09-06-2008 03:29 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;473310]I think people just need to realize that man for man we just don't match up with the top teams in the NFL. We lack true playmakers on both sides of the ball and we are not a strong team in the trenches. [B]When you add on that fact that our front office is below average[/B] and we've got a [B]rookie head coach that looks to be a little in over his head[/B] you've got a 4-6 win team. Sometimes people just need to face the facts. I know it sucks cause we homers tend to think our guys are better then they really are. I think that's just the case, not only around here but all over town. Once people realize it then maybe we won't see all the overreacting.[/quote]

Well, now [U]you[/U] are making the case for an overreaction with statements like these. I agree we're not strong in the trenches, but judging Zorn and Cerrato as below average and in over his head after one game is premature. You don't have enough evidence yet to judge Cerrato's first draft class which he was solely in charge of. And one game isn't enough time to tell you whether Zorn can hold a team together through crisis and teach his players how to improve.

I do think we'll end up with a top 10 pick in the draft this year, but to rag on Zorn and Vinny at this point is premature. You just can't expect this team to be very good after such a big transition.

Here's the ultimate sniff test: how in the world do you go from Joe Gibbs to Jim Zorn and get better right away? If you expected Zorn to be better off the bat than Joe Gibbs was in his 4th season back, then you either drastically underestimate what a change in scheme does to a team or you think Joe Gibbs 2.0 was a terrible coach (in which case you're a moron).

The Zorn hire marked a new era. It meant we have to spend a year going through a tough learning period in hopes of taking steps forward in 2009, taking us further than where we were in 2007.

Hog1 09-06-2008 03:37 PM

I first considered diplomacy, political correctness, and decorum to be the answer......
BUT
You say tomato, I say tomaato, but............
A cry baby Bitch is a cry baby Bitch!
AND in Redskinsville, we have surplus!

redsk1 09-06-2008 03:45 PM

We all know that some, maybe more than some overreact.

I don't think it's an overreaction to say that it was one of the sloppiest time management games I've seen in a while. A new head coach doesn't get a pass. He should be ready, it's the NFL.

I don't think it's an overreaction to say JC played like s***. It's not all on JC but he didn't look real comfortable although he settled down a bit.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel but i've been more than concerned for a few weeks.