Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Thread Hell (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Vince Young overrated? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=20317)

jsarno 11-11-2007 05:25 PM

Re: Vince Young overrated?

[QUOTE=Campbell17;376584]Why don't we post a thread that talks about our bad football team, and not some good team with a decent QB.[/QUOTE]

Oh, there will be plenty of those...and no one is stopping you from doing so.

PS- We're talking about a good team with an extremely overrated QB. (just needed to clarify there.)

Redskins247 11-11-2007 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;376571]1- It's been a season and a half of him playing. Sure he's still "green" but he's getting worse, not better. Today yet again, he looked bad. He actually threw for a lot of yards (257) but had 2 costly int's and only 1 td.
Look at his 4th quarter today. He did throw the 1 td on the first play of the 4th quarter, but after that, he went 3 and out (including a fumble). Then on the 2nd series, got 1 first down, then another first down on a penalty, then had a turnover on downs. On the last series, he was going to go 3 and out, but threw an INT instead. He's no leader on the field, and he doesn't have any talent throwing the ball, only running it.
2- I never once attacked his character, and when I compare him to Michael Vick, it's on the field only. I know it's been a while but I have said this more than once on this thread. And I don't think it matters as much as you think. Vick won a lot of games, and look at his character. Fact is, Vick was a better QB overall, and I think Vick sucked.

About Eli, I'd take Eli 20 times over Young. Eli is a good qb, and he can win a game with his arm. He can be a leader, and he has been...he's been too inconsistant to be considered great at this point though.

Yet another poor performance by Vince Young and still people don't see him for what he is. Obviously my work is still cut out for me. :D[/QUOTE]

You don't have to convince me....I've watched him play here....DEFINITELY overrated. This was a game where their D struggled and they couldn't run the ball so it was all on him....and he failed miserably. Your comparison to Vick is right on in the fact that both are not very smart guys, they can't make quick decisions in their head about coverage so they just run....and while that worked in college, it doesn't cut it in the NFL.

jsarno 11-11-2007 05:30 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins247;376602]You don't have to convince me....I've watched him play here....DEFINITELY overrated. This was a game where their D struggled and they couldn't run the ball so it was all on him....and he failed miserably. Your comparison to Vick is right on in the fact that both are not very smart guys, they can't make quick decisions in their head about coverage so they just run....and while that worked in college, it doesn't cut it in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...Thank you.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-19-2007 09:58 PM

He's looking pretty smart, accurate, and impressive tonight, notwithstanding an awful lot of key drops by his wideouts.

GMScud 11-19-2007 10:04 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;380729]He's looking pretty smart, accurate, and impressive tonight, notwithstanding an awful lot of key drops by his wideouts.[/quote]

It should easily be 20-14. Roydell Williams just flat out dropped a beautiful pass from VY. I think his passing game and NFL IQ need some polish, but his leadership, heart, arm, and legs are fantastic.

skinsfan69 11-20-2007 05:30 AM

[quote=Redskins247;376602]You don't have to convince me....I've watched him play here....DEFINITELY overrated. This was a game where their D struggled and they couldn't run the ball so it was all on him....and he failed miserably. Your comparison to Vick is right on in the fact that both are not very smart guys, they can't make quick decisions in their head about coverage so they just run....and while that worked in college, it doesn't cut it in the NFL.[/quote]

I thought the kid looked pretty good tonight. His wr's are the worst in the NFL.

TheBigD 11-20-2007 11:42 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;380762]I thought the kid looked pretty good tonight. His wr's are the worst in the NFL.[/quote]While I wouldn't say the worst, but they didn't help him last night. I think he did well but his D was giving up big plays all night and he couldn't keep up. The last INT was stupid but he had to take a shot down by 2 TDs.

MTK 11-20-2007 11:46 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;380762]I thought the kid looked pretty good tonight. His wr's are the worst in the NFL.[/quote]

Yeah he really doesn't have much help in that department.

BleedBurgundy 11-20-2007 11:50 AM

I hate to make the obvious statement but it seems as though his situation is very simlar to what Vick's was.

Parallels:

Super mobile
Not a very good passer (yet)
Bad Wideouts
Great Running Game
Wins despite overall poor stats
Decent to strong defense.

With all that said, I think VY will be better than vick as a passer but I don't know by how much.

GTripp0012 11-20-2007 11:55 AM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;380835]With all that said, I think VY will be better than vick as a passer but I don't know by how much.[/quote]I agree.

At the very least, Vince sets his feet and throws. It doesn't seem to be helping all that much, but at least he's fundamentally sound.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-20-2007 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=BleedBurgundy;380835]I hate to make the obvious statement but it seems as though his situation is very simlar to what Vick's was.

Parallels:

Super mobile
Not a very good passer (yet)
Bad Wideouts
Great Running Game
Wins despite overall poor stats
Decent to strong defense.

With all that said, I think VY will be better than vick as a passer but I don't know by how much.[/QUOTE]

True. But in light of Atlanta's woes without Vick, it seems like Vick was a good player if mediocre to poor passer? Vince is overrated by many, but like Vick he's a playmaker.

GTripp0012 11-20-2007 12:02 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;380847]True. But in light of Atlanta's woes without Vick, it seems like Vick was a good player if mediocre to poor passer? Vince is overrated by many, but like Vick he's a playmaker.[/quote]Vick's value to his team was declining with age, for obvious reasons, and because of receiving the richest deal in all of sports at the time, his cap number was skyrocketing.

To me, I see that Vince has the ability to stick in this league because he will improve throwing over time. It's just that, by the time he figures it out, he will no longer be a dual threat guy. He's never going to live up to the potential of the 3rd overall pick.

BleedBurgundy 11-20-2007 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;380847]True. But in light of Atlanta's woes without Vick, it seems like Vick was a good player if mediocre to poor passer? Vince is overrated by many, but like Vick he's a playmaker.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, atlanta is a sorry football team right now, no doubt. I wonder if some of these guys who have such overwhelming physical skills have trouble trusting a scheme/play? It seems like Vick and Young both have such tremendous talent that they always trust their own ability before the coach's gameplan. Maybe the correct term is Playbreaker instead of playmaker since they have a history of making huge individual plays and they have a tendency to abandon the plan in favor of putting the game on their back.

GTripp0012 11-20-2007 12:07 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;380850]Yeah, atlanta is a sorry football team right now, no doubt. I wonder if some of these guys who have such overwhelming physical skills have trouble trusting a scheme/play? It seems like Vick and Young both have such tremendous talent that they always trust their own ability before the coach's gameplan. Maybe the correct term is Playbreaker instead of playmaker since they have a history of making huge individual plays and they have a tendency to abandon the plan in favor of putting the game on their back.[/quote]Good point. Great running skills are definately a double edged sword if used improperly, IMO. You can pick up crucial first downs, but you can also miss open receivers that good out of the pocket QBs like McNabb, Romo, Palmer...etc would turn into big passing plays.

skinsfan69 11-20-2007 06:51 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;380847]True. But in light of Atlanta's woes without Vick, it seems like Vick was a good player if mediocre to poor passer? Vince is overrated by many, but like Vick he's a playmaker.[/quote]

Vick may not be the classic pocket guy, and he is a bad dude, but when you take him off Atl. they are a bad team as the eveidence shows. If you put him in the lineup they are probably 500. When he is on the field the defenses have to defend differently. The guy rushed for over a 1,000 yards. So that probably tells you his value.