Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Arrington's Grievance (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=423)

skinsfanthru&thru 03-15-2004 10:58 AM

Arrington's Grievance

Why is Snyder letting this go on? Why not just add the freaking 6.5 mil on the deal for the leader of your team? it's not like that type of money is really going to leave a dent in Snyder's wallet and if need be we can restructure or something when the time comes. We could wind up losing Arrington and have draft picks taken from the team because of this situation. Even if the ruling goes in favor of the redskins, u've just pissed off and alienated your best defensive player. This looks more like a situation that will get worse before/if it gets better.

MTK 03-15-2004 11:15 AM

Sounds like it's possible that Arrington's agent is who messed up. If he approved the contract and I'm sure he probably had to sign and initial in a million places, how could an error of $6.5M slip through??

With the way agents have been screwing up lately (Owens, Northcutt), this wouldn't be at all surprising.

Why would Snyder want to screw over Arrington? I think this is a case of miscommunication between Arrington and his agent, and his agent isn't willing to admit his mistake.

cpayne5 03-15-2004 12:57 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the agents fault. I think that LA and his agent wanted the extra 6.5million, but it was not in the final draft of the contract. The agent (I guess) did not read it thoroughly and they went ahead and signed it assuming that it was in there. I don't think you can blame the FO on this one. To me its, its the agent's fault.

JWsleep 03-15-2004 01:16 PM

I sure hope it's the agent's fault!!! If not, it could mess up our cap numbers or worse.

I am waiting for the day when the first NFL player actually says "my agent screwed up" and then fires the agent. These agents are SO good at stroking the egos of their clients that even when the agent is obviously at fault, the player stands by their "friend" and blames the team. Yeah, I'd be your friend too if you give me a healthy cut of your earnings...

sportscurmudgeon 03-15-2004 01:17 PM

It is waaaay to early to pick sides in this one. We don't even know the facts of the matter except that one side claims that some "payment clauses" were left out of the contract and the other side says they faxed it to the agent/player and they signed it.

Wait until the presentations are made to the arbitrator/special master in th4e case and then draw your conslusions as to how all this happened and who should get a $6.5M ass-kicking.

I'm hoping for an outcome that says that Arrington and/or Poston screwed up and all this is no big deal. But there are not nearly enough facts known yet to say that is what happened.

cpayne5 03-15-2004 01:18 PM

True. I wonder if we'll get the same arbitrator we got in the Chad Morton deal. You know, the one with Skins season tickets... :)

sportscurmudgeon 03-15-2004 01:20 PM

cpayne5:

That might not be the best arbitrator for the current situation. In this case, the arbitrator will issue a ruling that is going to upset someone INSIDE the Redskins' organization. In the Morton case, he did not have to face that dilemma.

cpayne5 03-15-2004 01:25 PM

No one (except the FO) would complain about it being not fair if that were the case though. So if LA gets this 6.5 million, it will cost <1million per year against the cap, correct? Seems like very little, to me. Why not just give it to him and make him happy for the next time we need to restructure his contract? I don't see the point of making him angry and giving him reasons to want to leave.

JWsleep 03-15-2004 01:25 PM

Maybe Danny-boy could offer him one of those free upgrades? :)

johnnyredskin63 03-15-2004 01:47 PM

:Flush: looks like to,northcutt,and big lavar's lawyers all got ran over by that
stupidity truck on it's way ignoramus avenue. :laughing-

irish 03-15-2004 02:17 PM

What I think is unfair is that LA can file a grievance over a contract that HE SIGNED. If that $6.5 mil was so important to him maybe he (or his agent) should have read his contract a little closer.

This is a can't win for everyone involved. No matter how this turns out one side will be upset. This is the beginning of the end of LA as a skin.

SkinsRock 03-15-2004 02:38 PM

What gets me, and the Skins rep has brought it up, is that the contract value was reported when it it was announced, and they didn't say anything about it until recently. I guess something can be said about not wanting to make waves during the season, but come on, when income is involved, I don't think anyone would want to let it go, even temporarily. I agree that whether the Skins got them to sign the wrong version of the contract or not, they signed it, so it's his agent's fault for not reading it and realizing that.
Also, notice that Lavar is being very careful in choosing what he says and how he says it...saying that a "mistake was made", but not specifically saying that it was the Redskins mistake.
I really hope this is settled quickly.

cpayne5 03-15-2004 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=SkinsRock]What gets me, and the Skins rep has brought it up, is that the contract value was reported when it it was announced, and they didn't say anything about it until recently. I guess something can be said about not wanting to make waves during the season, but come on, when income is involved, I don't think anyone would want to let it go, even temporarily. I agree that whether the Skins got them to sign the wrong version of the contract or not, they signed it, so it's his agent's fault for not reading it and realizing that.
Also, notice that Lavar is being very careful in choosing what he says and how he says it...saying that a "mistake was made", but not specifically saying that it was the Redskins mistake.
I really hope this is settled quickly.[/QUOTE]
I think the agent made a mistake, is under pressure from LA, and is now grabbing at straws.

johnnyredskin63 03-15-2004 05:25 PM

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]i wonder if lavar has the same agent as terrel owens and northcutt in cleveland.does anybody know?if the league and the players union finds the agents at fault,they will ban the agents from negotiating with the teams. :FIREdevil [/FONT]

Riggo44 03-15-2004 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]True. I wonder if we'll get the same arbitrator we got in the Chad Morton deal. You know, the one with Skins season tickets... :)[/QUOTE]
No kidding. You think his tickets got upgraded? :party-smi