Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Not drafting a QB a mistake? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=61978)

30gut 05-23-2015 03:11 PM

Not drafting a QB a mistake?

When Jay Gruden was hired he inherited Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins. Together with Bruce Allen they signed Colt McCoy as a free agent. Typically speaking new HCs at some point early in their tenure draft a fresh QB to mold specifically in their system. Jay has not been given a QB to mold.

We all want Robert or Kirk or Colt or some QB to step up and take the reigns and be a viable starting QB. But we all have to admit that there is a chance that none of them has the goods. And looking ahead none of the QBs are under contract for 2016. For all intents and purposes as it sits right now we don't have a QB going forward past this season.

On the flip side the FO drafted a RB in the 3rd round. The word is that Jones is here to spell Morris and possibly be a 3rd down back. But he's also considered by many to either be the heir apparent or insurance against Alfred Morris if for some reason we don't bring him back in 2016.

So on one hand we have a position of strength in RB being bolstered heading into 2016 and beyond yet at arguably the most important position on the team we didn't select a QB developmental or otherwise anywhere in the draft.

My question:

[B][U]Was not selecting a QB anywhere in the 2015 draft a mistake?[/U][/B]

Hog1 05-23-2015 03:32 PM

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Build it ......and he will come

DYoungJelly 05-23-2015 04:23 PM

[quote=30gut;1113730]When Jay Gruden was hired he inherited Robert Griffin and Kirk Cousins. Together with Bruce Allen they signed Colt McCoy as a free agent. Typically speaking new HCs at some point early in their tenure draft a fresh QB to mold specifically in their system. Jay has not been given a QB to mold.

We all want Robert or Kirk or Colt or some QB to step up and take the reigns and be a viable starting QB. But we all have to admit that there is a chance that none of them has the goods. And looking ahead none of the QBs are under contract for 2016. For all intents and purposes as it sits right now we don't have a QB going forward past this season.

On the flip side the FO drafted a RB in the 3rd round. The word is that Jones is here to spell Morris and possibly be a 3rd down back. But he's also considered by many to either be the heir apparent or insurance against Alfred Morris if for some reason we don't bring him back in 2016.

So on one hand we have a position of strength in RB being bolstered heading into 2016 and beyond yet at arguably the most important position on the team we didn't select a QB developmental or otherwise anywhere in the draft.

My question:

[B][U]Was not selecting a QB anywhere in the 2015 draft a mistake?[/U][/B][/quote]

The premise of your question is problematic.

We have QB issues so of course not drafting a generic QB seems like a mistake.

The question is problematic because there is no such thing as a generic QB. Picks are made from actual QBs with actual scouting reports.

A better way to frame the question would be to ask: Was it a mistake not to draft _________ with our ____ round pick?

Which QB do you think we should have taken and where should we have taken him?

Schneed10 05-23-2015 05:08 PM

I think McCloughan thought highly of Halliday but he flaked.

I'd rather see us establish the trenches a bit so that no matter what QB we use he'll have a fighting chance.

EARTHQUAKE2689 05-23-2015 05:27 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1113734]I think McCloughan thought highly of Halliday but he flaked.

I'd rather see us establish the trenches a bit so that no matter what QB we use he'll have a fighting chance.[/quote]

I agree 100%.

30gut 05-23-2015 07:45 PM

[quote=DYoungJelly;1113733]The premise of your question is problematic.[/quote]Well its a question not a premise.

[quote]We have QB issues so of course not drafting a generic QB seems like a mistake.[/quote]That's all I was asking. Its not as obvious as you think considering it hasn't been discussed in a media market that threshes through all things Redskins.

[quote]Which QB do you think we should have taken and where should we have taken him?[/quote]Interesting question. if I was drafting in a vacuum the quarterbacks I would choose would be different then the quarterbacks I would choose specifically drafting for J. But pre-draft I tried to discuss the QB prospects in some of the draft threads with no takers. All besides the point.....the Redskins had a chance to draft any QB they wanted save for the top 2.

Which QBs did you like ? (if you liked any)

Alvin Walton 05-23-2015 08:54 PM

I dont think its a mistake.
You gotta go with a hopefully healthy Griffin for one more full year.
The rest of the team should be improved more than a little, that should have a positive affect.
We have a bunch of new coaches also, especially a quarterback coach.
If Griffin improves then its a non issue.
Besides, the June cuts could yield us a dev QB to pick up.

Bishop Hammer 05-23-2015 10:01 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1113734]I think McCloughan thought highly of Halliday but he flaked.

I'd rather see us establish the trenches a bit so that no matter what QB we use he'll have a fighting chance.[/quote]

This is the same philosophy I agree with. The Skins have tried getting a QB first, giving him nothing to work with, he flames out and starts the process all over again.

Build a good overall team then the QB doesn't has to put more on his plate than he can handle. Developing at a natural pace and really learning his craft.

TheMalcolmConnection 05-23-2015 10:12 PM

Yup. Look at Flacco. Mediocre QB who has time to make a sandwich (potentially grill it) before he throws the ball.

30gut 05-24-2015 04:56 AM

I'd rather see us establish the trenches a bit so that no matter what QB we use he'll have a fighting chance.[/quote]Drafting a QB somewhere within our ten 2015 doesn't mean the FO can't also 'establish the trenches'.

If they thought highly of Halliday, an UDFA, as Jay's developmental QB isn't it even more of mistake to pass on other QBs for a prospect who didn't love the game enough to stick around for the 1st rookie camp?

30gut 05-24-2015 05:02 AM

[quote=Alvin Walton;1113739]I dont think its a mistake.
The rest of the team should be improved more than a little, that should have a positive affect.
Besides, the June cuts could yield us a dev QB to pick up.[/quote]This sounds like you are banking on the current QBs to have success; which is fine. Its actually what I hope for. But is planning around based on the best case scenario a mistake? If none of the QBs takes the reigns we're gonna start again all over with a new QB with a HC on his third year or tear it all down with new staff and new QBs.

NYCskinfan82 05-24-2015 05:48 AM

Well said, IMO games are won in the trenches.

NYCskinfan82 05-24-2015 05:50 AM

[quote=Alvin Walton;1113739]I dont think its a mistake.
Besides, the June cuts could yield us a dev QB to pick up.[/quote]

Yeah that's how I see it.

NYCskinfan82 05-24-2015 05:54 AM

[quote=30gut;1113745]Drafting a QB somewhere within our ten 2015 doesn't mean the FO can't also 'establish the trenches'.

If they thought highly of Halliday, an UDFA, as Jay's developmental QB isn't it even more of mistake to pass on other QBs for a prospect who didn't love the game enough to stick around for the 1st rookie camp?[/quote]

No one knew Haliday was going to take a permanent Holiday before the first rookie camp.

Schneed10 05-24-2015 08:32 AM

[quote=30gut;1113745]Drafting a QB somewhere within our ten 2015 doesn't mean the FO can't also 'establish the trenches'.

If they thought highly of Halliday, an UDFA, as Jay's developmental QB isn't it even more of mistake to pass on other QBs for a prospect who didn't love the game enough to stick around for the 1st rookie camp?[/quote]

It's hard for me to think of it as MORE of a mistake when no draft pick was wasted.

Your question is a good one but it's just impossible to answer now. If one of our three current QBs really establishes himself this year (hopefully Griffin), then it won't be a mistake.

If they don't then we could have this discussion, it would only be a mistake if the QBs we passed on in 2015 end up looking good. Like if Petty or Hundley tear it up then yeah we will kick ourselves.

It's just too early to say. But as of right now I am a fan of our draft, we needed an attitude adjustment in the form of big nasty players to help establish an identity of toughness. I liked that every pick had toughness and competitiveness in common. At this point in time I'll take that over the (false?) hope that a new QB provides.