Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why does everyone have us taking a DE?? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4479)

NFLNetwork 01-10-2005 02:55 PM

Why does everyone have us taking a DE??

I know we need a good pass rusher, but if smoot leaves (which looks likely) shouldn't we draft a cb?? Personally, i think corners in Greg Williams scheme are more important than D-lineman since he blitzes so much.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 03:08 PM

I think that corners will be easier to come by in the later rounds of the draft.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 03:33 PM

Something even crazier I've been seeing if a bunch of "mock drafts" showing us taking a QB in the draft?!

I'm guessing these are not the type of people eduated on the Redskins.

A QB?! Bleh.

skins009 01-10-2005 04:06 PM

I would personally would draft another DT. Can you imagine Griffen and another good DT. Man they would blow up any play the offense would try to run. We've seen what a great DT can do for a defense, we had Gardner a few years ago, and Griffen this year.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 04:17 PM

I don't know... I think that Noble and Salavea'a have been pretty solid. I'll say this, if we're going to have to pick between a DT and DE. I'd take a DE.

joecrisp 01-10-2005 04:28 PM

I think a lot of folks have been rather exasperated by the refusal of the Redskins FO to address the need for a pass rushing DE in the draft over the past several years. I think the last pass rushing DE the Skins drafted in the early rounds was Kenard Lang, and they let him go right when he was coming into his own.

If Smoot goes, I think they need to look hard at a corner to replace him, but there could be some decent FA's available that could step right in.

Big C 01-10-2005 04:43 PM

typically DTs arent big pass rushers, and we have some solid run stoppers at DT, so id go with a pass rushing DE over a DT. Pollack would be my #1 choice if we traded down. im afraid that james would be injury prone

PSUskinsfan11 01-10-2005 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=joecrisp]I think a lot of folks have been rather exasperated by the refusal of the Redskins FO to address the need for a pass rushing DE in the draft over the past several years. I think the last pass rushing DE the Skins drafted in the early rounds was Kenard Lang, and they let him go right when he was coming into his own.

If Smoot goes, I think they need to look hard at a corner to replace him, but there could be some decent FA's available that could step right in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we should have tried to keep Lang around a little longer to see what he could do. Also in reguards to Smoot, if he leaves I could see us starting Harris and either drafting a CB with potential later or picking up a young free agent for nickle.

joecrisp 01-10-2005 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=PSUskinsfan11]Yeah we should have tried to keep Lang around a little longer to see what he could do. Also in reguards to Smoot, if he leaves I could see us starting Harris and either drafting a CB with potential later or picking up a young free agent for nickle.[/QUOTE]

I'm not totally sold on Harris as the #2 CB, nor on Wilds as the #3. The coaching staff apparently believes that Harris will be ready to return as a starter next year, after a full year of recovery from the knee surgery he had last winter. However, even when Harris was a full-time starter with Indianapolis, and Chicago before that, he was never a dominant cover corner, and certainly isn't in the same class as Smoot in that regard. I think what Gregg Williams likes about him is that he is a physical player, similar to Shawn Springs, and may be more reliable as a tackler than Smoot-- particularly on corner blitzes, where Smoot really struggled to make the play on several occasions.

But I really feel all the talk about Harris as a capable replacement is a bit of a ruse by the Redskins to provide leverage against Smoot, and make the fans feel a little less uptight about the possibility of losing Smoot to free agency. Regardless, if Smoot walks, you can be sure the Skins will not stand pat with Harris and Wilds as the #2 and #3 corners, respectively. If Smoot isn't signed by the opening of free agency in March, you can bet the Skins will be calling a press conference on the first day of free agency to announce the arrival of his shiny new replacement. At the very least, they'll grab another corner on the first day of the draft.

GoSkins! 01-10-2005 05:32 PM

I think that we should trade our first pick and Lavar for Randy Moss. He might have an attitude but you can't fault his haircut.

SkinsRock 01-10-2005 06:19 PM

People need to hold off on all the draft predictions until FA has gotten going. No one knows what any team is going to do then (not just the Redskins), and that will have a big impact on who drafts whom, and who moves around to get specific players.

Daseal 01-10-2005 08:45 PM

The combine will also change these mock drafts and turn them upside down.

aehs77 01-10-2005 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=GoSkins!]I think that we should trade our first pick and Lavar for Randy Moss. He might have an attitude but you can't fault his haircut.[/QUOTE]
the 8th pick in the draft and one of the top 5 linebacker in the league for a reciever who has been hurt all year and has an attitude problem. I'll pass

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 10:08 PM

Oh come on, you don't want someone to pretend he's showing his ass to the crowd?

Definitely a class act.

Daseal 01-10-2005 10:18 PM

lol, Randy Moss is Randy Moss. Hands down the best receiver in the league. He hates Green Bay - guess who else he hates? Dallas. The team that promised they'd draft him. He fits as a Redskin. We have lots of guys who are flamboyent and annoying to most other fans but we love them because they're Redskins. The same would happen for Randy. Honestly, what he did seemed stupid to me, but it wasn't a big deal like the announcers wanted to make it.

I loved in the interview he kept asking those stupid questions, Randy got up, said WE KICKED THEIR ASS, and walked away. He's not afraid to speak the truth. How many of you would be totally blasting Randy if he would have lost his cool and gone off on a coach/player in that Washington game? I think if Randy thought he would lose his cool, then leaving the field was the way to go. He finally grew up and was able to walk away from a situation he saw going sour. He can't do anything right can he?

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 10:30 PM

Touche Daseal, touche...

There's a lot of players I hate, but if they played for the Redskins, my tone would be a bit different.:)

'cept for TO, I seriously wouldn't want him.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-10-2005 10:32 PM

I DID like how he was pointing to the scoreboard to that fan in the stands.

SmootSmack 01-10-2005 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]lol, Randy Moss is Randy Moss. Honestly, what he did seemed stupid to me, but it wasn't a big deal like the announcers wanted to make it.

I think if Randy thought he would lose his cool, then leaving the field was the way to go. He finally grew up and was able to walk away from a situation he saw going sour. He can't do anything right can he?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was as big a deal either. And it's somewhat hypocritical of Joe Buck (he of the Leon commercials), FOX ("Who's Your Daddy") and ESPN ("Playmakers") to lambast him for it

I think a bigger sign of him growing up however, would be to be able to stay with the team on the field (or at least the sidelines) and maintain his composure. When you're part of a team and things aren't going the way you'd like you don't just leave.

SmootSmack 01-10-2005 10:58 PM

By the way, Tony Dungy was saying on the radio today that Lambeau fans have a history of mooning the opposing team after a loss as they board the team bus.

Anyone else know anything about this?

jrocx69 01-11-2005 12:53 AM

moss is the most garbage reciever in the league.

i feel like smacking sense into everyone saying we want him or need him. you guys must be children or just werent raised right. grow up, he's garbage not only for minnesota, but for the league.

and last, im sure portis would love having moss on his team, especially when we run in moss's direction, and moss will throw a block when he "feels" like it :Flush:

LongTimeSkinsFan 01-11-2005 07:05 AM

Moss is more a class clown than a class act. I'd take Marvin Harrison over him any day of the week.

Daseal 01-11-2005 07:44 AM

jrocx: You're seriously deluding yourself if you think every receiver goes all out on every play. It's simply not possible and many times they know they're a diversion so why waste all that energy.

Harrison had a mediocre year. He's definitely the best route runner, but he is kinda small and intimidatable. Moss is big and a guy who can jump for the ball. Not to mention younger. Moss isn't a class act, but he's not they next coming of Howard Stern either. He's no different than Sean Taylor/Arrington with his lash outs and other such comments.

LaVar bitches he doesn't have more control in personel decisions. Now that's ridiculous.

MTK 01-11-2005 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]By the way, Tony Dungy was saying on the radio today that Lambeau fans have a history of mooning the opposing team after a loss as they board the team bus.

Anyone else know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

I heard that too, that definitely lessens the incident to me. Not that I took great offense to it anyway.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2005 10:21 AM

Then again it all goes back to how you defend TO. If you don't want him to celebrate, keep him out of the end-zone.

diehardskin2982 01-11-2005 05:36 PM

I can't beleve I'm reading this crap on the forum today... Moss Garbage are u crazy!! No one in the league creates more of a miss match onthe field period he's 6'5' with blazing speed and the best hands in the NFL. He only looks bad right now because TO is hurt and the media has to find another bad guy to keep the story line going. If we were to have Moss as a skin we would be a shoe in for the superbowl. He puts in total effort and is intense about the game. tell me one corner who has been able to stop him there isn't one. He's from west virginia so he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and hey he doesn't know how to cleary speak to the media, but one thing he can do is play. he is the best WR in the history of the game. He numbers are only overshadowed by one player and thats Rice imagine the numbers he will have when he gets to that age. under Gibbs he would learn how to deal with the media and we'll consistently blow out the cowboys which is also good.

If one person could tell me how you can stop an offense with moss and cole as the wr options and portis as your running threat please let me know. I wouldn't how ever get rid of Arrington, I would give up two first rounders though.

diehardskin2982 01-11-2005 06:06 PM

by the way I would like to see us taking either a WR braylon edwards, or mike williams. Or moving down and taking a decent D end. I want the Tight end from Virginia on the team he's a beast. if there would a REDSKIN ridiculus trade I say two first rounds and gardner for MOSS, or 1st Gardner McCants and a third for tony gonzalez from KC

Defensewins 01-11-2005 06:25 PM

After seeing the Colts last weekend, I think we need to draft and develop a few shut down corner. In today's bullshit rules all favoring offense and throwing the ball, you can not have enough good corners. You can be sure Denver will be drafting a corner and they already have Champ Bailey. You need three to four good corners, and we only have one (Springs).

We need:
1) CB's
2) pass rush DE and DT
3) Blocking TE
4) Center, Guard and back up Tackle

TheMalcolmConnection 01-11-2005 06:26 PM

diehardskin2982, I've been saying that myself recently. I think Heath Miller would be a great fit.

Riggo44 01-12-2005 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=LongTimeSkinsFan]Moss is more a class clown than a class act. I'd take Marvin Harrison over him any day of the week.[/QUOTE]
Yea but Randy has that Big R tatooed on his arm. You have to admit that would look tight in a Redskins Jersey. :joke:

TheMalcolmConnection 01-12-2005 03:12 PM

Is it on his right?

Does he have a big L tatooed on his left?

That would make a lot of sense for me.:)

wolfeskins 01-12-2005 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=diehardskin2982]I can't beleve I'm reading this crap on the forum today... Moss Garbage are u crazy!! No one in the league creates more of a miss match onthe field period he's 6'5' with blazing speed and the best hands in the NFL. He only looks bad right now because TO is hurt and the media has to find another bad guy to keep the story line going. If we were to have Moss as a skin we would be a shoe in for the superbowl. He puts in total effort and is intense about the game. tell me one corner who has been able to stop him there isn't one. He's from west virginia so he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and hey he doesn't know how to cleary speak to the media, but one thing he can do is play. he is the best WR in the history of the game. He numbers are only overshadowed by one player and thats Rice imagine the numbers he will have when he gets to that age. under Gibbs he would learn how to deal with the media and we'll consistently blow out the cowboys which is also good.

If one person could tell me how you can stop an offense with moss and cole as the wr options and portis as your running threat please let me know. I wouldn't how ever get rid of Arrington, I would give up two first rounders though.

to say he is the best wr to ever play in the nfl is retarded and to give up two 1st round picks to get him would be retarded, i wouldn't give a bucket of piss to get him. i'll tell you exactly how a team would beat the redskins if moss was on the team. it would be one of two ways, either moss wouldn't start because he doesn't give 100 % in practice or on the field, therefore gibbs would bench him just like mccants. or moss , with his bad attitude , would get upset that he's not getting the ball thrown to him 15 times a game, he would complain , then others would complain about his complaining , then the next thing you know the redskins are trying to trade him because he's not happy with them and their not happy with him . as far as telling you if there is any corners that can stop him , i'll say the skins corners did a pretty good job of that.