Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28640)

Ruhskins 02-27-2009 11:18 PM

Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

Since all of the draft threads have probably gotten wayyyy too long by now, and given the acquisitions that the team made in free agency (AH, Hall, Dock, possibly another o-lineman, etc., etc.) I wanted to start this thread to discuss what the Redskins should get with their #13 and the other three picks come April. I am sure that any ideas or opinions you had about this may have change given our acquisitions.

I, for once, am a bit unsure of what the team should go for. Some people have mention that we can afford to go after the best player available. Others have said that we now may have the luxury of drafting what we want and not what we need. Part of me wants to continue to address the offensive line, and get the best tackle available, and part of me thinks that we need to replace Marcus Washington and eventually we'll need to replace Jason Taylor.

horny4zorny-nohomo 02-27-2009 11:24 PM

Re: Draft Thoughts - The Post-Haynesworth Edition

we need a linebacker..

The Goat 02-27-2009 11:30 PM

Good thread idea Ruh.

I think we still go OT [I][U]IF[/U][/I] our scouting indicates the available prospect(s), Oher and/or A. Smith probably, can successfully become a LT, not immediately but as Samuels transitions to RT (my own prediction). If the verdict is different for who's available and Rey Maluauga is available then it's a no-brainer IMO. Rey is the hardest hitter in the draft and plays a position we're already thin at. As GTripp has said if Fletcher gets nicked up for any period of time our defense will really suffer. Bottom line is Rey could play SLB as long as London is our QB on D and then transition to the middle... anyway i just don't think we can afford to pass on him cuz he's very special and top defenses need a monster MLB.

Our 2nd pick should be OL if we take LB @ 13 and vice versa...

5th round will be a tough call if Sidbury is there and a nice RB prospect is still available.

Last pick... punter LOL.

Dirtbag59 02-27-2009 11:47 PM

I honestly think that right now the plan seems to be trade down. Take the best linebacker available in which case they take Maluga if he falls down to them, James Laurinaitis, or Brian Chushing and then take one of the second tier tackles should they get a second round pick. Guys like Phil Loadholt, Jamon Meredith, and Steven Beatty come to mind. I also think it's possible that they might have a deal where their trade down looks something like this

Redskins get
low to mid first round pick
low to mid second round Pick
trading teams fourth round pick

Trade Partner gets
Redskins 1st round pick
Redskins 3rd round pick

Sort of like how we ended up giving the Falcons our third round pick on top of our first.

Anyone have ideas on possible trade partners?

That Guy 02-27-2009 11:50 PM

well, it'd be OL, DE, or LB.

I really like everything i've seen from orakpo, but there's a lot of OL talent and some LBs too.

if we get a 2nd or high 3rd for golston, that and our other 3rd should be used on OL and the top pick on orakpo or cushing/rey or OT IF someone fell... or trade down if possible.

SFREDSKIN 02-27-2009 11:55 PM

[quote=That Guy;531696]well, it'd be OL, DE, or LB.

I really like everything i've seen from orakpo, but there's a lot of OL talent and some LBs too.

if we get a 2nd or high 3rd for golston, that and our other 3rd should be used on OL and the top pick on orakpo or cushing or OT IF someone fell... or trade down if possible.[/quote]

I wouldn't trade Golston. I say trade Betts and draft a young RB along with LB, DE, C, T positions. Taylor will be gone after this year, he needs to be replaced, Evans, Daniels, Griffin also need to be replaced after this year or maybe even sooner. Need to keep young DL talent like Montgomery, Golston and Alexander.

The Goat 02-27-2009 11:59 PM

[quote=That Guy;531696]well, it'd be OL, DE, or LB.

if we get a 2nd or high 3rd for golston, that and our other 3rd should be used on OL and the top pick on orakpo or cushing/rey or OT IF someone fell... or trade down if possible.[/quote]

TG... what little I saw of Orakpo and Cushing play football definitely impressed but both guys have injury concerns. Cushing has one of the lowest durability ratings of the "1st round" LBs and Orakpo has missed time in his last two years with a recurring knee injury. These are guys that will take major abuse as young players in the NFL and to already have injury/durability issues is a serious concern... especially @ 13 if we don't trade down. Curry, Raji and Rey M. appear to be the safest early 1st round picks however Curry and Raji are almost guaranteed to be gone by 13.

wilsowilso 02-28-2009 12:05 AM

We are so primed to trade back and draft Mack.

SFREDSKIN 02-28-2009 12:11 AM

[quote=wilsowilso;531701]We are so primed to trade back and draft Mack.[/quote]

YES SIR!! Now we are talking, if we do that then I say watch out.

53Fan 02-28-2009 12:18 AM

I like your thinking. :)

The Goat 02-28-2009 12:40 AM

Is Mack a legit 1st round pick or someone to take in the 2nd round (if we can work that kind of deal)?

53Fan 02-28-2009 01:04 AM

[quote=The Goat;531708]Is Mack a legit 1st round pick or someone to take in the 2nd round (if we can work that kind of deal)?[/quote]

I don't think it would be surprising at all to see Mack go from #20 on. I would'nt be surprised if Pittsburgh took him at 32 if he's still there.

The Goat 02-28-2009 01:15 AM

I just haven't seen him in rd 1 of any mock drafts. Really hard to predict now though as guys will certainly rise and fall...

Eknox 02-28-2009 02:14 AM

whatever we do I say keep building the lines with younger players, then worry about the other positions... I say take the best Olineman or D-lineman available when we pick...of course preferrably o-lineman

Hamoskinz 02-28-2009 03:59 AM

[quote=Eknox;531720]whatever we do I say keep building the lines with younger players, then worry about the other positions... I say take the best Olineman or D-lineman available when we pick...of course preferrably o-lineman[/quote]

Yep, o-line preferably. Alex Mack is the guy I'm gunnin' for. He can certainly replace Rabach and secure that important aspect of our game, center.