Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Come up with a new name for the Redskins (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64635)

FrenchSkin 07-04-2020 07:50 PM

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

[quote=Warthog;1253801]I personally like the RED TAILS, because they have a great story and they were in the Army Air Corps in WWII. However, many people have never heard of the Tuskegee Airmen. I actually was in a USAF unit in Iraq, called the 332 Air Expeditionary Wing. They called themselves the Red Tails ( which what that unit did to all their airplanes in WWII - they painted there vertical stabilizer Red, so it could be easily recognized). When Air Force units are deployed to combat locations, the unit they go to is the same number and name of a FAMOUS Air Force unit.

BUT, I think Snyder is going with the Native American theme. The problem with WARRIORS or BRAVES is that name is used by a team in another sport. That includes the Generals - a team that loses to the Harlem Globetrotters.

I think he will go for a real Native American tribe. There are HUNDREDS of tribes to choose from, so I think it will be a FAMOUS and well-known tribe. That gets you down to a much smaller list:

CHEYENNE
APACHE
SIOUX
NAVAHO
COMMANCHE
CREEK
MOHAWK

There are no major sports teams with any of these tribes.

I believe it will be one of these tribes. Not Red Tails, not Generals, not Red Hawks, not Warriors or Braves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

What I would like with the Native tribe name is that it would be a good opportunity to do something that should've been done decades ago, and would have likely avoided this mess:

Do more to [I][U]publicly and consistently honor and support Native Americans[/U][/I].
Have [I][U]a % of the team's benefits[/U][/I] automatically given to support local Native communities.
Have [I][U]regular cultural events[/U][/I] to promote Native American culture.
Have [I][U]pre game shows and parades[/U][/I] held by Natives.

Had this been done earlier, the whole "this team's name is racist" narrative would have been a harder sell.

And frankly, I think a huge organisation that choses to brand Native American like the Redskins do, has a responsibility to listen to, represent, honor and support. And I don't think this franchise lived up to this responsibility.

Maybe now is the time.

(Please keep in mind I say this while thinking the Redskins' name isn't racist, and would have loved for my team to keep its name, but it seems that ship has sailed...)

Jimbo 07-04-2020 08:49 PM

Why don’t we do a mail in voting

Jimbo 07-04-2020 09:34 PM

Or maybe we should just let football die like our history kills me to say it but to much BS anymore

SkinzWin 07-04-2020 10:01 PM

[quote=JackLord;1253818]Hello all,

I have lurked here for years, but the current situation has motivated me to join this fine forum. I have bled burgundy & gold since 1971. I am sick about the name change and am trying to come to terms with it.

IMHO the best scenarios are:

1) [B]Washington Warriors[/B]: Switch to the 1960s spear logo and tweak the fight song. Most everything remains so it would be palatable. The one problem- and it could be a big one- is that we would still be in the realm of Native Americans with the spear logo

2) [B]Washington Redhawks:[/B] Take a cue from Miami University in Ohio. Switch to the late 60s/early 70s "R" logo and tweak the fight song. Emphasize the scripted Rs and avoid too much bird talk. Hassle free as the Native American stuff is jettisoned once and for all.

More unconventional choices:

[B]Washington Braves:[/B] I am a stickler for tradition and Braves is the original name. Having one syllable makes the fight song harder to tweak. And we are still in Native American territory.

[B]Washington Redskins[/B]: I used to think that maybe Snyder could ditch the current logo and return to the aforementioned "R" logo. Also expunge any other Native American references. Then issue a press release that states the name now refers to the color of the uniforms, nothing more. But I doubt Snyder could pull it off.

[B]Washington Hogs[/B]: With the right moves, it could work.[/quote]

I don’t want a name that is already another franchise name. See the Golden state warriors of the NBA.

I like the Redhawks.

Personally a fan of the Atlanta Braves, but again don’t want to share a team name.

Hogs is a terrible name.

I still say Washington Renegades should be strongly considered and use the Redskins “R” logo.

rocnrik 07-04-2020 10:28 PM

Washington Tomahawks, Washington Arrows or arrowhead(s), Cherokee, Apache thunder , moccasins .. just some ideas

kct1975 07-04-2020 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=rocnrik;1253835]Washington Tomahawks, Washington Arrows or arrowhead(s), Cherokee, Apache thunder , moccasins .. just some ideas[/QUOTE]Humm...I actually like the Washington Tomahawks or Washington Arrows or even the Washington Arrowheads

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

rocnrik 07-04-2020 10:52 PM

It seems that objects are okay .. it gets tricky when using team names after groups of people .. Even though I like Cherokee and other tribe names it still leaves the door open for controversy...but even as I type this did not Florida state get in trouble for the tomahawk chop move ? It’s going to be tricky and Dan has one shot at getting this right .. keeping the diehards pleased and being political correct .. I hope this turns out good

rocnrik 07-04-2020 10:58 PM

Washington Redfeathers ?

calia 07-05-2020 02:19 AM

[QUOTE=kct1975;1253836]Humm...I actually like the Washington Tomahawks or Washington Arrows or even the Washington Arrowheads

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Too much like KC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 07-05-2020 04:15 AM

[quote=rocnrik;1253837]It seems that objects are okay .. it gets tricky when using team names after groups of people ..[B] Even though I like Cherokee and other tribe names it still leaves the door open for controversy[/B]...but even as I type this did not Florida state get in trouble for the tomahawk chop move ? It’s going to be tricky and Dan has one shot at getting this right .. keeping the diehards pleased and being political correct .. I hope this turns out good[/quote]

I say it depends how it's done.

If Natives and Natives representative are included in the discussion and the choice of the name, and have a say in how they want to be represented and supported, one would say a community would appreciate the [I]legit[/I] support of a big organisation having millions of fans.

I think the name change is also a consequence of not living up to the responsibility of representing and supporting the community you're branding.

BaltimoreSkins 07-05-2020 09:11 AM

[quote=rocnrik;1253837]It seems that objects are okay .. it gets tricky when using team names after groups of people .. Even though I like Cherokee and other tribe names it still leaves the door open for controversy...but even as I type this did not Florida state get in trouble for the tomahawk chop move ? It’s going to be tricky and Dan has one shot at getting this right .. keeping the diehards pleased and being political correct .. I hope this turns out good[/quote]

I agree that I would try to stay away from names referring to a specific race or nation. The public sentiment can and probably will sway in the future. 30 years from now when he is in his 80s does he really want to be fighting another name change and have that be his legacy for the franchise? I know I wouldn't. In terms of keeping the diehards pleased they will come around. I can't imagine not rooting for the same group of players just because the logo and nickname has changed. Every parent that is a football fan will still want to take their kid to see them play or watch the games as a family on Sunday. We will all be here on the gameday thread talking to each other even if they change everything.

Schneed10 07-05-2020 09:15 AM

I love all these ideas from you morons that suggest switching from a name considered racist to a less insulting yet still racist name. The Tomahawks? Yeah let’s switch from racist to diet racist, that will go well.

rocnrik 07-05-2020 09:25 AM

A tomahawk is a type of single-handed ax native to the many Indigenous peoples and nations of North America, traditionally resembling a hatchet with a straight shaft. The term came into the English language in the 17th century as an adaptation of the Powhatan word... I’m not sure how this is racist.. You don’t see the irony of you calling people morons and at the same time accusing others of being rascist? You are not very tolerant of others views are you ? Hmmmm ...

Schneed10 07-05-2020 09:32 AM

I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though it’s strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If you’re going to make a name change, just do it. Don’t make the mistake of doing something that’s still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyder’s tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are don’t want to be a mascot at all. If you don’t get that you’re a moron.

MTK 07-05-2020 09:42 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1253853]I believe in calling a spade a spade, I think my reputation here precedes me in that way, and that idea is just fucking ignorant.

Are you even aware that the Redskins are not the only team that catches shit on this issue. The Braves, Chiefs and Indians are all under fire too, though it’s strongest with us because Redskin is the most overt. But the Indians have already said they are reviewing their name too.

Why? Look at the signs the protesters hold up, the hashtag they use is #notyourmascot. If you’re going to make a name change, just do it. Don’t make the mistake of doing something that’s still going to piss these people off. It will look like the most gone deaf thing of all time and will epitomize Dan Snyder’s tenure as owner.

Not all Native Americans are bothered by Redskins. But the ones that are don’t want to be a mascot at all. If you don’t get that you’re a moron.[/quote]

I agree, just goes to show that plenty of people don’t completely understand what the crux of this movement is