Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Job Hunting Advice... (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16665)

Redskins8588 01-04-2007 09:25 AM

Job Hunting Advice...

I recently had a couple of job interviews and out of 3 interviews a company made a job offer to me. Now let me explain my current situation. I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am), with about 100 to 150 hours of overtime @ time + half, my health benifets are about $160/mo for dental, vision, medical for me, 3 kids, and wife. Pluse every 4mths I get a profit sharing check for about $200 to $300.

Now the company that I would be working for offered me a job on 1st shift 8-4, similar health benifits, and they too have a profit sharing system but pays every 4 weeks. The job is a pretty good job but they offered me $1.50 less than what I am currently making now. And I am not sure as to how big their profit sharing checks, maybe they make up the difference of the $1.50. That is something that I need to find out I know. But is this proffesional to offer someone that much less to come and work for them?

724Skinsfan 01-04-2007 09:32 AM

Re: Job Hunting Advice...

What is their pay rate advancement? After 6 months will you be evaluated and given the opportunity for a raise? I once took a job a long time ago for close to minimum wage but during the interview they told me I would be assessed between 3 and 6 months. I was evaluated and jumped to 14.00/hour.

Another thing to consider is family time. Will you be getting more or less or the same amount. I would take a slight paycut (very slight) in order to have matching hours with my wife.

Schneed10 01-04-2007 09:34 AM

[quote=Redskins8588;266897]I recently had a couple of job interviews and out of 3 interviews a company made a job offer to me. Now let me explain my current situation. I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am), with about 100 to 150 hours of overtime @ time + half, my health benifets are about $160/mo for dental, vision, medical for me, 3 kids, and wife. Pluse every 4mths I get a profit sharing check for about $200 to $300.

Now the company that I would be working for offered me a job on 1st shift 8-4, similar health benifits, and they too have a profit sharing system but pays every 4 weeks. The job is a pretty good job but they offered me $1.50 less than what I am currently making now. And I am not sure as to how big their profit sharing checks, maybe they make up the difference of the $1.50. That is something that I need to find out I know. But is this proffesional to offer someone that much less to come and work for them?[/quote]

I'm not sure what industry you work in, but in a lot of industries they pay what is known as a shift differential, where the night shift makes more per hour than the day shift. This is definitely the case for nurses and medical/technical professionals. That could explain the difference.

Definitely need to find out about the profit sharing - how much is paid out and how often. That can help you size it up. But career advisors say it's never a bad thing to negotiate a little bit during the job hunting process. First decide what amount of money you NEED in order to make the switch. Perhaps accepting $1.50 less per hour in exchange for working days is worth it to you. Or perhaps it's not. But maybe you'd be willing to make the switch for $1.00 less per hour? If that's the case, tell them that, and say if you'd be willing to give me $1.00 less than I'm making now, I will take the job, otherwise I can't give up that much in wages. Explaining it to them that way, at the very least they'll understand your decision, but a lot of times employers aren't willing to be sticklers over a little more money. A lot of times they'll think it's worth it just to give it to you so they don't have to go finding another qualified candidate.

Only you can decide what amount of $ you need to make it worth it. But there's definitely no harm in asking if there's wiggle room in the offer. The worst they can do is say no, and you make your decision based on that.

12thMan 01-04-2007 09:36 AM

[quote=Redskins8588;266897]I recently had a couple of job interviews and out of 3 interviews a company made a job offer to me. Now let me explain my current situation. I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am), with about 100 to 150 hours of overtime @ time + half, my health benifets are about $160/mo for dental, vision, medical for me, 3 kids, and wife. Pluse every 4mths I get a profit sharing check for about $200 to $300.

Now the company that I would be working for offered me a job on 1st shift 8-4, similar health benifits, and they too have a profit sharing system but pays every 4 weeks. The job is a pretty good job but they offered me $1.50 less than what I am currently making now. And I am not sure as to how big their profit sharing checks, maybe they make up the difference of the $1.50. That is something that I need to find out I know. But is this proffesional to offer someone that much less to come and work for them?[/quote]

I would think the $1.50 less per hour is the trade off of changing to a more normal workshift. I think one of the things you have to consider is, will that 100-150 hours of OT be a part of their package? If so, you might not lose much in salary. You can figure out ways to cut corners to make up that $1.50 per hour.

Also, without knowing all the specifics, there are probably more promotion opportunities available with the new job. Simply because normal hours could translate to higher visibility, which tends to lead to other things.

In the end, if we're talking only the $1.50 per hour and if they can somehow make it up in retirement contribs, it may be a good deal. I would have to think your quality of life would improve somehow with the regular hours as well.

12M

EEich 01-04-2007 09:36 AM

It's not a matter of being professional or not. You can't look at it that way.
They must feel that they can fill the position with a good candidate for that amount.
You can accept it, reject it or ask for more money.

Schneed10 01-04-2007 09:40 AM

[quote=EEich;266905]It's not a matter of being professional or not. You can't look at it that way.
They must feel that they can fill the position with a good candidate for that amount.
You can accept it, reject it or ask for more money.[/quote]

Agreed, the amount of money they're offering says nothing about their professionalism. It's just what they feel is fair to pay you. Doesn't hurt to ask for more and see what they say.

12thMan 01-04-2007 09:48 AM

If I could throw one more tidbit of advice in there. If you or when you guys have the money conversation. You may want to position the dollar amount you're asking for in terms of what it looks like annually and not per hour, even though that's how the numbers really break down. If that $1.50 per hour comes to $15-16K per year, then ask for as close to that dollar range without interviewing yourself out of the position all together.

I've seen it done both ways to be honest, but I like the latter approach simply because it looks like you're putting more value on your services over the course of a year and not day to day.

Schneed10 01-04-2007 09:57 AM

A difference of $1.50 an hour equates to a difference of about $3000 per year in pay.

There are 52 weeks in the year, in which you assume you'd work 5 days a week. 52 times five equals 260 days. Then you have to take out 6-8 days for holidays, and 10-15 days for sick/vacation time (which I'm assuming are unpaid for you).

That's about 237 days worked, for 8 hours each day, that comes to 1896 hours per year. Multiply those hours by $1.50, and you get $2844.

Then you have about 100 hours in which you're paid time and a half. Time and a half of the $1.50 difference comes to $2.25. So $2.25 times the 100 hours is $225.

So $2844 plus the $225, and you get $3069.

The $1.50 represents a drop of $3069 in your annual gross income, not factoring in the changes in profit sharing.

12thMan 01-04-2007 11:11 AM

[quote=Schneed10;266922]A difference of $1.50 an hour equates to a difference of about $3000 per year in pay.

There are 52 weeks in the year, in which you assume you'd work 5 days a week. 52 times five equals 260 days. Then you have to take out 6-8 days for holidays, and 10-15 days for sick/vacation time (which I'm assuming are unpaid for you).

That's about 237 days worked, for 8 hours each day, that comes to 1896 hours per year. Multiply those hours by $1.50, and you get $2844.

Then you have about 100 hours in which you're paid time and a half. Time and a half of the $1.50 difference comes to $2.25. So $2.25 times the 100 hours is $225.

The $1.50 represents a drop of $3069 in your annual gross income, not factoring in the changes in profit sharing.[/quote]

Shit, I was thinking Euros:)

mheisig 01-04-2007 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Schneed10;266922]A difference of $1.50 an hour equates to a difference of about $3000 per year in pay.

The $1.50 represents a drop of $3069 in your annual gross income, not factoring in the changes in profit sharing.[/QUOTE]

Don't you need to multiply that by 1.9428 to get pounds?

saden1 01-04-2007 11:44 AM

I have made the mistake of not asking detailed information about the benefits. Like others have said ask all sorts of questions and cover every subject possible. You need to "know" before you jump. You might also want to haggle. If they really like you, you might be able to work something out (review in 3 months and performance based raises 6 months to a year).

Also the only reason one should take a pay cut is if they are not happy with their current situation. Seeing how you have family and working the night shift switching to day shift will definitely puts less strain on the family in general.

Redskins8588 01-04-2007 05:59 PM

Yeah, I understand with me going to dayshift would be nice but here is the thing, I have two girls that are 1 year and 3year old plus a 5 year old boy who is in all day kindergarten. I would be taking a $1.50 and hour cut then turn around and find a babysitter for my children which will cost about $300 to $400 more amonth that I do not currently have now....

saden1 01-04-2007 09:38 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;267209]Yeah, I understand with me going to dayshift would be nice but here is the thing, I have two girls that are 1 year and 3year old plus a 5 year old boy who is in all day kindergarten. I would be taking a $1.50 and hour cut then turn around and find a babysitter for my children which will cost about $300 to $400 more amonth that I do not currently have now....[/QUOTE]

Seems to me like you just answered your own question...The switch isn't worth it if you are getting paid less and you'll have to pay someone else to take care of your children.

p.s. So when do you actually get some sleep if you are working all night and taking care of all those kids during the day?

Schneed10 01-04-2007 10:12 PM

[quote=saden1;267255]p.s. So when do you actually get some sleep if you are working all night and taking care of all those kids during the day?[/quote]

Yeah I was wondering the exact same thing. 8588, you are to be admired for what you go through to take care of your kids. That sounds like a rough schedule and it's admirable that you're doing it.

OK, man-love fest is over. So how about that local sports franchise?

jsarno 01-04-2007 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;266897]I recently had a couple of job interviews and out of 3 interviews a company made a job offer to me. Now let me explain my current situation. I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am), with about 100 to 150 hours of overtime @ time + half, my health benifets are about $160/mo for dental, vision, medical for me, 3 kids, and wife. Pluse every 4mths I get a profit sharing check for about $200 to $300.

Now the company that I would be working for offered me a job on 1st shift 8-4, similar health benifits, and they too have a profit sharing system but pays every 4 weeks. The job is a pretty good job but they offered me $1.50 less than what I am currently making now. And I am not sure as to how big their profit sharing checks, maybe they make up the difference of the $1.50. That is something that I need to find out I know. But is this proffesional to offer someone that much less to come and work for them?[/QUOTE]

I will say this, there is NOTHING in this world more important than family. No one goes to their death bed saying "I wish I worked more". You have 3 kids and a wife...take it from a guy that lost a daughter and can't have kids, life is precious, enjoy every moment of it. To me, I'd take the pay cut to be with family more. I've had jobs where I worked over 100 hours a week, and they killed me. I have a job where I work about 60-70 hours a week right now, and it's way too much. Your quality of life needs to be there or you'll regret it later. Life is not about money.

jsarno 01-04-2007 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;267209]Yeah, I understand with me going to dayshift would be nice but here is the thing, I have two girls that are 1 year and 3year old plus a 5 year old boy who is in all day kindergarten. I would be taking a $1.50 and hour cut then turn around and find a babysitter for my children which will cost about $300 to $400 more amonth that I do not currently have now....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your mind is already made.
Do whatever it takes to spend time with family. If that means keeping your current job, so be it...if that means getting a new one, then so be it.
Again I say, life is not about money. I'd sell most everything I own to afford children...you have been blessed with 3. If it benefits them, then go for it.

Redskins8588 01-04-2007 11:26 PM

I watch my children during the day and then when my wife comes home from work I go to bed and she takes over. I am not so sure that I would be spending more time with my children if I went to the new job because I would be working days. Where as in 5 years my youngest will be in kindergarten and then I can sleep while everyone is at work and school then be up with them when they get home.

I would like this new job dont get me wrong but I just can afford to take that big of a pay cut right now in my career. And when I was asking about it being professional for them to offer me less $$ than what I am currently making, I guess I was looking at it like this, after 3 years experinece all it got me on the outside was a $1.50 pay cut. Now you also have to understand at this new job they are developing this position that I am being offered so they do not have anyone there yet with the background and experience that I have.

Plus I would be loosing my vision and dental insurance and I would not have any insurance on me or my family until 4-1-07, and having 3 little kids I am not so sure I can go that long without coverage. And as for the vision and dental both my son and wife require glasses and as far as dental both me and my wife had braces when we were younger so who knows what kind of mess our childrens teeth may be like.

I would like the job and I have a meeting tomorrow with the HR lady and I have a boat full of questions for her so maybe something can be worked out but then again who knows...

BDBohnzie 01-05-2007 10:32 AM

Good luck to you, but I have a feeling you're going to pass on the job offer.

The company is going to lowball you to an extent. They want the best capable person for the least amount of money possible. However, they probably figure you are going to want to ask for more than you are curently making, and would probably settle on a figure just at, or a bit more than you are making now.

However, for the situation you are in...and instead of having to foot the entire insurance bill for 2-3 months (COBRA), I'd stay put.

Redskins8588 01-05-2007 12:22 PM

Well I meet with the HR lady today a 3:30 to further discuss the offer, but as of now there really is no way that I can take the job. If I did, I would need a babysitter and then it would be like someone else is raising my children. But who knows what will happen...

jsarno 01-05-2007 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins8588;267303]I watch my children during the day and then when my wife comes home from work I go to bed and she takes over. I am not so sure that I would be spending more time with my children if I went to the new job because I would be working days. Where as in 5 years my youngest will be in kindergarten and then I can sleep while everyone is at work and school then be up with them when they get home.

I would like this new job dont get me wrong but I just can afford to take that big of a pay cut right now in my career. And when I was asking about it being professional for them to offer me less $$ than what I am currently making, I guess I was looking at it like this, after 3 years experinece all it got me on the outside was a $1.50 pay cut. Now you also have to understand at this new job they are developing this position that I am being offered so they do not have anyone there yet with the background and experience that I have.

Plus I would be loosing my vision and dental insurance and I would not have any insurance on me or my family until 4-1-07, and having 3 little kids I am not so sure I can go that long without coverage. And as for the vision and dental both my son and wife require glasses and as far as dental both me and my wife had braces when we were younger so who knows what kind of mess our childrens teeth may be like.

I would like the job and I have a meeting tomorrow with the HR lady and I have a boat full of questions for her so maybe something can be worked out but then again who knows...[/QUOTE]

In terms of professionalism, that is debatable. The company is likely smaller and is offering what they can afford. Kind of like in Baseball when the Yankees go against the Royals for a free agent. The Royals will offer what they can, but in the end, the Yanks will throw their pocket change (millions on millions) to make the deal work.
I would come up with a figure in my mind of what I would need, and counter offer them. I did this exact thing with my current company and earned me an extra 5k a year. They will always offer what they want, then you need to tell them what you want, sometimes you meet in the middle, sometimes they agree right away...but negotiation is always a good thing.

saden1 01-05-2007 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;267478]In terms of professionalism, that is debatable. The company is likely smaller and is offering what they can afford. Kind of like in football when the [B]Redskins[/B] go against the [B]Cardinals[/B] for a free agent. The [B]Cardinals[/B] will offer what they can, but in the end, the [B]Redskins [/B]will throw their pocket change (millions on millions) to make the deal work.
I would come up with a figure in my mind of what I would need, and counter offer them. I did this exact thing with my current company and earned me an extra 5k a year. They will always offer what they want, then you need to tell them what you want, sometimes you meet in the middle, sometimes they agree right away...but negotiation is always a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Or are we not that bad yet?