Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What constitutes anti-religious bigotry? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=28045)

70Chip 03-04-2009 02:24 AM

Re: What constitutes anti-religious bigotry?

[quote=saden1;533545]I've always held the view that if I were to ever become a Christian I would become a Catholic.[/quote]

You could do worse.

That Guy 03-04-2009 09:19 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;522433]It seems ironic to me that organizations of science want to claim that theres no debate about how the world came to be. There may be significant evidence to suggest that Darwinian Evolution explains this, but I'm seeing it as sort of an arbitrary cutoff since evolution doesn't exactly hold up to the Scientific Method either.

It is not observable, testable, nor falsifiable. Which in no way means that it's wrong. Just that while maintaining the scientific method is important, it's helpless to help us explain why the world was created. Thus it's suspended regarding reasoning to why things are the way they are.

But there in lies the question: if science itself is in sufficient to turn the [I]Theory[/I] of Evolution into the [I]Law[/I] of Evolution, doesn't it [U]seem[/U] a bit self-righteous for academics to declare the debate to be over? What about the non-Creationists who reject Big Bang on the premise of question of insufficient evidence, such as the Red Shift movement? What keeps them from getting a platform to explain why they hold majorty opinion to be wrong?

Once it becomes heresy to debate scientific theory, does science really have meaning anymore? I don't have the answer to this question, but I suspect it's 'no'. Science can only be good science as long as people are allowed to debate the facts. Once a debate is declared to be dormant, it's no longer science that is being taught, I think.

I feel like this is a bigger issue than we all realize.[/quote]

if you have proof, the whole point of the scientific method is that you can question results if you can show they may (or are) wrong in part or in whole.

seriously, could i not discriminate against a job to teach mathematics because the interviewee believes that 1 + 1 = 3?

the proof of one is MUCH MUCH greater than the proof for the other, so science uses the best model available until something better comes along.

That Guy 03-04-2009 09:27 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;522955]Please understand that the "infallible" comment was for irony.

Ultimately, at this point, no scientific theory of wihich I am aware describes the creation of matter.[/quote]

but that doesn't mean all science is flawed, or that because god said so is a better answer though.

I think one of the bigger issues is that people generally want answers for everything, and we don't always really understand how absolutely everything works... and science's failsafe of "i'm not sure" isn't always as comforting, so some people try to dismiss it completely, which (imo) is a HUGE mistake.

btw, this isn't direct at you JR, you just had a convenient quote.

saden1 03-04-2009 09:38 AM

[quote=70Chip;533566]You could do worse.[/quote]

I could, though I am not convinced our ranking system are the same. I evaluate on a point system based on the level of craziness, membership benefits, and social contribution. What about you?

Dirtbag59 03-04-2009 03:28 PM

[quote=saden1;533621]I could, though I am not convinced our ranking system are the same. I evaluate on a point system based on the level of craziness, membership benefits, and social contribution. What about you?[/quote]

I loved going to the Catholic Church (which I still do on Christmas with my family). Theres always so much material for jokes, not concerning the faith but the ceremonies.

My brothers and I used to always joke about the ushers especially as during crowded masses you don't want to spend an hour with no room to move. However from the ushers point of view theres always a seat open and it makes you nervous to see them looking around then suddenly get to your row and hold up four fingers or soemthing to that effect in which case a family

firstdown 03-04-2009 03:38 PM

[quote=saden1;533621]I could, though I am not convinced our ranking system are the same. I evaluate on a point system based on the level of craziness, membership benefits, and social contribution. What about you?[/quote]

My ranking system is totaly different:

At 2 I went home with a 10.
At 10 I woke up with a 2.
I never been home with an ugly chick but sure woke up with a few.

70Chip 03-04-2009 06:47 PM

If it doesn't involve handling snakes, it's a non-starter with me.

saden1 03-04-2009 07:33 PM

[quote=70Chip;533871]If it doesn't involve handling snakes, it's a non-starter with me.[/quote]

:lol:...bravo sir.

nyredskinsfan 03-04-2009 09:01 PM

I don't get wrapped around the axle on alot of things like evolution or creation. Either way, or maybe there's a 3rd way, it doen't matter to me as I know God had a hand in it. God makes things interesting enough to try an figure out how "he" did it. What about other life forms? The universe contains so many possibilities of life on other planets it's almost insane not to think that odds are in favor of ailien civiliazations. Once again, I keep it simple. God did it.

That Guy 03-05-2009 02:48 AM

[quote=nyredskinsfan;533925]I don't get wrapped around the axle on alot of things like evolution or creation. Either way, or maybe there's a 3rd way, it doen't matter to me as I know God had a hand in it. God makes things interesting enough to try an figure out how "he" did it. What about other life forms? The universe contains so many possibilities of life on other planets it's almost insane not to think that odds are in favor of ailien civiliazations. Once again, I keep it simple. God did it.[/quote]

seems like a pretty reasonable stance to me.

GTripp0012 03-05-2009 03:32 AM

[quote=That Guy;533612]seriously, could i not discriminate against a job to teach mathematics because the interviewee believes that 1 + 1 = 3?[/quote]Well, I would hope you would explain to them why they are missing a part of the equation that prevents it from being complete.

I suppose you could write them off as a crackpot for choosing a line of work they don't seem cut out for, but if doing that grants you any sort of self-satisfaction, I know some organizations that are looking to increase membership ;)

JoeRedskin 03-05-2009 09:52 AM

[quote=That Guy;533612]seriously, could i not discriminate against a job to teach mathematics because the interviewee believes that 1 + 1 = 3?[/quote]

Well, you possibly could but the guy would just quit and go work in the financial markets.

Oh wait....

That Guy 03-05-2009 11:47 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;534152]Well, you possibly could but the guy would just quit and go work in the financial markets.

Oh wait....[/quote]

zing!

saden1 03-09-2009 10:49 AM

Wow, the Catholic church just [URL="http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1883598,00.html"]kneecapped itself[/URL]. On a brighter note, it's good to see my people being [URL="http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2009-03-09-american-religion-ARIS_N.htm"]fruitful and multiplying[/URL].